PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else lost music since the update?

Torqual
12-03-2006, 00:56
I thought I would start a separate topic for this since I have some sound problems (and have read the threads) but don't see any mention anywhere from people losing music.

I am not talking about the total loss of music....what I get is as follows:

Whenever I enter a new area, town, or go through a portal, the music will play ONE track from the soundtrack. Then it will play NOTHING ELSE.

This is really demoralising. If I leave town for more than 2 minutes I am basically playing a musicless game. This is doubly annoying as I bought additonal music from DirectSong. GW was so immersive until I had this problem but now without music it feels utterly soulless (or should that be Soule-less?)

It may seem extreme but I just cannot be bothered to play until this is fixed - if it is fixed. I was hooked on GW but am just now not looking forward to playing it as I am finding the lack of music downright irritating. What's also worrying me is that I don't hear many others voicing the problem - meaning it will go uncorrected. I spoke to one other guy in a town who said he had the same, but it seems it's quite specific.

Now here's the killer.

I was using a SB Live! until I got this problem, and due to experiencing some other sound issues with GW, I decided to go out and buy a nice new SB Audigy 4 and put it into my PC. Did this fix the problem? No, it's exactly the same. I'm considering a complete re-install of the game (have already re-installed DirectSong pack) but I figure it would be a waste of 30 mins.

Yes, I have played around with the decorative but useless sound quality slider.

If anyone else has experienced music theft, please please post.

Anyone reading from AreaNet, I have logged a query (and didn't get it answered yet) but FYI I will post in here if and when this is fixed by any mini patches.

Please put my name down for the 'for the love of God just make the sound like it was before' button.

Zero RoGuE
12-03-2006, 07:13
Im haveing the same problem...I cant hear a single bit of the music! From what it says in my game the DirectSong cant play the music.

Lerxst_of_Syrinx
12-03-2006, 09:06
Directsong's music are in the Window's Media format (.wma)

What's most likely happened is another program has taken over playing .wma files and this program doesn't have DRM support. Without DRM support (like that found in Windows Media Player) you won't be able to play Directsong music.

An easy way to test this is Go to C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Directsong and double-click a song (hopefully it opens in Windows Media Player). If it doesn't play, you most likely have a DRM issue.

If it opens and plays, you most likely have a GW issue.

xerofighter
12-03-2006, 11:18
got the same problem
i guess its jsut the directsong engine

cause after a song plays from the directsong wma files, the songs stops, but tthe options thing still displays thats its playing a song

directsong engine is just bugged

paragongrid
12-03-2006, 12:06
What's most likely happened is another program has taken over playing .wma files and this program doesn't have DRM support. Without DRM support (like that found in Windows Media Player) you won't be able to play Directsong music.

Nice find. I think this is my problem, as my default player is Creative Media Source (comes with soundblasters). For those that use this, there's a creative driver update that adds DRM support on their website.

For those that don't want to mess with drivers, just go into your DirectSong folder, and right click on one of the tracks. Click on properties, and change "Opens With" to Windows Media Player. You might also want to deselect ".wma" association from your default player.

Torqual
12-03-2006, 13:23
Nice suggestions, thanks.

I don't get any problems playing from Windows Explorer. I checked and the files already 'open with' Windows Media Player.

Both DirectSong and in-built music are affected equally. It just plays one track then cuts out. I have heard DirectSong music play, then cut out and the same with the normal music.

It's clearly a GW problem - this started with the March 9/10 patch.

paragongrid
12-03-2006, 13:42
You're right. I just followed my own tip, yet it still only plays one song (I only have the SF mini-pack, and this is the only area where the problem occurs for me). Hopefully a fix is on the way.

Erasculio
12-03-2006, 14:29
While your point is a good one, wouldn't it be too much of a coincidence if, exactly after an update that changed the audio settings in GW, different users had a program taking over .wma files at the same time?

I also had the same problem, and I have sent a question to Support about this. They have answered me,

I'd also like for you to try adjusting your sound acceleration. To do so:

Right click on the 'volume' icon, located in the bottom right hand corner of your taskbar.

Select 'Adjust Audio Properties'

Under the 'Speaker Settings', click 'Advanced'.

Now select the tab labeled 'Performance'

Adjust the 'Hardware Acceleration'. Try the game on each setting.

Regards,
Guild Wars Technical Support

I have still to try that.

Erasculio

BLAHHH
12-03-2006, 16:59
The 'adjust your hardware acceleration' answer is just the same old generic dross they have to respond to all audio problems (here's a fun test - e-mail them saying that sometimes the audio cuts from one headphone speaker to the other, i.e. stereo sound, and they'll still e-mail back asking you to try the game on different hardware acceleration settings. Seriously) - however I, knowing more than just a thing or two about sound in relation to computers, can safely say categorily that it's not the problem, nor the 'fix'.

There is a clear bug in the recent update in relation to game audio playback. It's that simple, I'm sure ANet didn't mean for it to happen, but it has, and they need to fix it. It is not, I repeat NOT, a hardware problem, hardware acceleration problem, driver issue, or in fact problem with anything else on the client side. The audio in GW is bugged for now, simple as that. Just gotta sit tight until ANet fix it.

xerofighter
12-03-2006, 17:12
i'm going to mail directsong support and see whats going on and if a fix is on its way

when i get response ill tell yoou guys

Torqual
12-03-2006, 23:08
Very good idea.

Although it's not DirectSong's fault, maybe they can get Arenanet to do soemthing.

Erasculio
13-03-2006, 01:46
The "sound acceleration" thing didn't work. I was then prompted to do a DiXdiag and send them the result. After that, came the obvious "Update your drives", despite the fact my sound drives are up to date (I was told to update my video drives). I even bothered to do so and guess...The problem is still there.

If this is just a bug introduced by the March 9 update, I'm really going to complain about Support. One would think they would look first at the most obvious option, not go through the standard things first.

Erasculio

Holb
13-03-2006, 02:29
I see I am not the only one with odd sound issues. All of my extra sounds like
trading sounds, whispering, gold, pinging, all have ceased to work. They work
on occasion. It will be fixed soon most likely.

Slave Darkside
13-03-2006, 04:59
Ya, i have lost all music, all voices in cut scenes, certain sounds like when your selling stuff, "pinging" on your little map when out on a mission. everything else seems to work fine. This pisses me off, with this problem i am not feeling so good about buying factions if i can't enjoy it with all the sounds. Especially music and voices. I have never had a problem like this until these stupid updates from march 9-11th. I hope A-net fixes this serious problem soon...

BLAHHH
13-03-2006, 11:13
If this is just a bug introduced by the March 9 update, I'm really going to complain about Support. One would think they would look first at the most obvious option, not go through the standard things first.

1) It is mostly certainly a bug caused by the recent sound update. It is not in any way - I repeat not in any way whatsoever - a hardware problem. Unless of course hundreds of people's computers have all simultaneously decided to screw up, but you'd have to be terminally stupid to believe that.
2) No point complaining, 'support' and 'help' for anything and everything computer-related is always crap. It's that simple, the people who work in helpline call centres and on support desks never have a clue what to do past the three generic responses they paste or repeat to you for every error; it's never their fault, always a problem with either your hardware or your drivers, and if you do the one test they know the name of and nothing is changed you'll have exhausted their knowledge completely and you'll be stuck with the problem for the rest of your life. That's just how computer support and help is, always. Just count yourself lucky they didn't ask you if you were sure your computer was switched on.

Torqual
13-03-2006, 11:33
1) It is mostly certainly a bug caused by the recent sound update. It is not in any way - I repeat not in any way whatsoever - a hardware problem. Unless of course hundreds of people's computers have all simultaneously decided to screw up, but you'd have to be terminally stupid to believe that.
2) No point complaining, 'support' and 'help' for anything and everything computer-related is always crap. It's that simple, the people who work in helpline call centres and on support desks never have a clue what to do past the three generic responses they paste or repeat to you for every error; it's never their fault, always a problem with either your hardware or your drivers, and if you do the one test they know the name of and nothing is changed you'll have exhausted their knowledge completely and you'll be stuck with the problem for the rest of your life. That's just how computer support and help is, always. Just count yourself lucky they didn't ask you if you were sure your computer was switched on.

That was a brilliant read. More, please, more!

I hope things are not as bad as you say.

If Arenanet sort out my music problem I will maybe relax a little bit. But I HATE what they have done with the positional audio. I don't give two hoots whether they use DS3D or EAX as an engine, I just want them to restore it to the camera position rather than the character. Someone tell Arenanet that their game is a third person view!!

This whole thing about enforced updates is a really sad phenomenon. I had the same issue with Counterstrike: Source. They introduced HDR lighting and even if you turn it off loads of people have PC locking up problems. Guess what, my PC was to blame there also, for a perfectly-working piece of software breaking down over night. When they did this, that was about the time that I started playing GW.

It may be time to move on.....:cry: No Factions purchase imminent.

Hengis Stone
13-03-2006, 11:47
Had this exact problem after the update too. I am running a Soundblaster Live! 24Bit.

Tried updating drivers and changing the settings within Guildwars options with no effect.

I resolved it by running dxdiag and moving the Hardware Acceleration slider on the Sound tab down a notch from Full to Standard Acceleration.

(Dxdiag.exe should be in C:\windows\system32) or just do a search for it, or run it directly from the start menu (start/run/dxdiag)

After getting it to work, I must say that there is a considerable improvement in the quality of the in game sound.

Hope this helps,

Hengis

Slave Darkside
13-03-2006, 18:07
Had this exact problem after the update too. I am running a Soundblaster Live! 24Bit.

Tried updating drivers and changing the settings within Guildwars options with no effect.

I resolved it by running dxdiag and moving the Hardware Acceleration slider on the Sound tab down a notch from Full to Standard Acceleration.

(Dxdiag.exe should be in C:\windows\system32) or just do a search for it, or run it directly from the start menu (start/run/dxdiag)

After getting it to work, I must say that there is a considerable improvement in the quality of the in game sound.

Hope this helps,

Hengis

Just to confirm, this works people. now to test at cut scenes.

Thanks Hengis

Xycury
13-03-2006, 21:56
a question that nobody has asked yet....

what was broken to require this fix? the fix i mean the patch on the 10th?

Improved the performance of the game's audio engine.
Added a new slider to the Game Options panel to adjust sound playback quality.
Added support for DirectX 3D sound (DS3D) hardware acceleration.

well i'm thinking DirectX is the problem, since we never needed hardware acceleration to begin with.

so thanks to Hengis for pointing this out, just by setting it to Standard will not use DirectX sound Hardware acceleration.

soooo.... why can't they just have a box that says use Directx or not..?

snapper
13-03-2006, 22:37
I have an Audigy2 ZS, and have experienced the same probs others have reported. I sent note to support and here is their response:

####Please browse to your Guild Wars folder ("C:\Program Files\Guild Wars" by default) and delete the file Gw.dat. Then start the game. It will re-download all necessary information. Please let us know if this helps.####

Typical support....I think the DxDiag reconfig is the way to go, although I will give this a shot.

Torqual
14-03-2006, 00:17
I've tried messing with DXDiag and the acceleration slider - including going to standard acceleration - and it hasn't helped my music-loss-after-one-track issue at all.

I'm currently in an exchange with Support about this and last thing I send them a full Everest report on my system - to see what in MY SYSTEM is of course causing the problem!

Will post if I get any progress.

Torqual
14-03-2006, 13:37
Update - I have had a reply from support saying this is a bug in Direct Song and will be fixed through the normal game update process.

xerofighter
14-03-2006, 17:59
yup i can confirm that their working on it
emailed directsong support 12 march

got this return:

Hi ******!

I want to thank you for reporting this information. We are working closely with the Guild Wars team to correct this problem.

I have forwarded all this to them so that we can find out how any changes may have affected the DirectSong in-game music playback.

Best Regards,

Torqual
14-03-2006, 21:27
Thank goodness.

BTW I don't see how it's DirectSong's issue - they didn't change their software. But if they are both on the case then hopefully this should be a fairly rapid repair.

Torqual
15-03-2006, 13:25
The music has been restored since the last patch - phew.

However it's still too quiet - even on maximum volume - when hits are landing on or near your character. Hits landing just drown everything out.

Mohammed
15-03-2006, 16:57
I can't seem to hear my emote anymore, I currently have the wolf emote and I'm not hearing it howl or anything anymore?

Martin S
15-03-2006, 18:51
I can't seem to hear my emote anymore, I currently have the wolf emote and I'm not hearing it howl or anything anymore?

yeah i have same problem here with my emote :(

Shtick
15-03-2006, 20:48
I dont usually listen to music anyway on guild wars but since the problem came up i found out mines working fine... I dont know why though