PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Teleportation?

Erasculio
17-03-2006, 20:04
From Jeff Strain, here (http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=3969):

The Ritualist also has numerous spells that can manipulate these spirits after they are summoned, such as teleporting them to the Ritualist’s location, or causing them to explode, doing tremendous damage to everyone in the area.

:shocked:

Does anyone think think that's a (very huge) typo by Gamecloud?

Erasculio

Archangel Raguil
17-03-2006, 21:46
Taken from the Jeff Strain interview with GameCloud, I noticed something funny...

The Ritualist is a “dark priest” who summons spirits to work on his behalf. These chained spirits can sustain damage on behalf of the Ritualist or the party, and can also act as “turrets” by holding a position on the battlefield and dealing damage to all enemies in the area. The Ritualist also has numerous spells that can manipulate these spirits after they are summoned, such as teleporting them to the Ritualist’s location, or causing them to explode, doing tremendous damage to everyone in the area.

Did I miss some skill that does this? I'd never noticed it before, but then again, I stuck primarily to spawning and restoration attributes in the preview event.

Also, out of curiousity, does getting knocked down make you lose an item you're holding (such as ashes)?

Goldfish God
17-03-2006, 22:57
being knocked down does not affect your ability to keep hold of flags as far as I remember, so I don't think it'll be different for ash-pots though I don't remember any specific experience to that end.

As for teleporting spirits, nope, don't remember any skills in PvP beta, though I know assassins had Spirit Walk for teleport to spirits.

Erasculio
18-03-2006, 01:08
I posted first (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=390122) :tongue:

I think it's just a mistake by Gamecloud.

Erasculio

TBMarauder
18-03-2006, 05:41
I merged the two threads and .. no, it wasn't a typo.

Kjentei
18-03-2006, 06:37
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwarsfactions/news.html?sid=6145854

The rituatalist is a spirit summoner that can conjure up huge dragons and other creatures to fight for him or her, and...

Looks like someone else got something majorly wrong too, and someone can't spell, or I've missed out something, which I don't think I have.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Archangel Raguil
18-03-2006, 07:17
I posted first (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=390122) :tongue:

I think it's just a mistake by Gamecloud.

Erasculio

Heh, sorry 'bout that, I don't know how I missed out :shocked:

They could have got it wrong, and simply meant the Assassin skill that teleports you to spirits, but I'm hoping it's not. Man, I would love a skill that teleported spirits to your location, it would make spirits far more useful for PvE!

When I used Ranger spirits, I was rather disappointed... Quite often the battle ended and I moved on into a new fight before the skill recharged...

Siru
18-03-2006, 12:48
skill that teleported spirits to your location
Soul Twisting = mobile spirits :thumbsup:

Erasculio
18-03-2006, 13:12
Heh, sorry 'bout that, I don't know how I missed out
Heh, np. I thought it was funny how we used almost the same words to talk about it.

no, it wasn't a typo
Arrrgh :undecided: :cry: :shocked: :soapbox: *dies of envy*

Erasculio

Archangel Raguil
19-03-2006, 00:18
Soul Twisting = mobile spirits :thumbsup:

The elite skill Soul Twisting only works if you use it to kill an already existing allied spirit. The only spirit I use that has a shorter recycle time than duration is the elite Preservation, so whatever spirit you kill can't benefit...

On the other hand, Ritual Lord decreases the recycle time of Binding Rituals considerable, but I'm not sure if I'd want to use my only elite skill slot on that...

Doyle
21-03-2006, 21:57
The elite skill Soul Twisting only works if you use it to kill an already existing allied spirit. The only spirit I use that has a shorter recycle time than duration is the elite Preservation, so whatever spirit you kill can't benefit...

I'm not sure what you mean. Most spirits have a recharge of anywhere from 45 to 60 seconds. Soul Twisting is only 10. The key is to use Soul Twisting before you drop your spirit -- it's basically Glyph of Renewal + Fast Casting. You do need to sac a spirit to start it off, so you throw out a cheap Pain to start. From there you just chain 'em every 10 seconds.

FWIW, siru and I are thinking along the same lines -- I've been working on a build that dumps Ritual Lord and uses Soul Twisting instead. I do think it'll be more mobile, but I think keeping up with what spirit is about to die when could be a lot of work. You'd have to be very aggressive with your twisting/casting, so you'd need plenty of energy and/or boon of creation.

Erasculio
21-03-2006, 23:14
You'd have to be very aggressive with your twisting/casting, so you'd need plenty of energy and/or boon of creation.
Maybe you could use this one right before a spirit dies?

Spirit Siphon (Spell)
Target spirit loses all Energy. You gain (15..27 [31])% of that Energy.
5 energy, 0.25 sec casting time, 3 sec recharge

Doyle
22-03-2006, 00:59

Spirit Siphon (Spell)

Nice. Very fast, too. Sort of like salvaging all the weapons and armor before you delete your character. :wink:

Archangel Raguil
22-03-2006, 09:47
I'm not sure what you mean. Most spirits have a recharge of anywhere from 45 to 60 seconds. Soul Twisting is only 10. The key is to use Soul Twisting before you drop your spirit -- it's basically Glyph of Renewal + Fast Casting. You do need to sac a spirit to start it off, so you throw out a cheap Pain to start. From there you just chain 'em every 10 seconds.

FWIW, siru and I are thinking along the same lines -- I've been working on a build that dumps Ritual Lord and uses Soul Twisting instead. I do think it'll be more mobile, but I think keeping up with what spirit is about to die when could be a lot of work. You'd have to be very aggressive with your twisting/casting, so you'd need plenty of energy and/or boon of creation.

Sorry, I should have given it from my perspective - I am I healer, always have been, and so with my ritualist. That said, I'm only interested in a few spirits, none that I want to sacrifice for the long term (such as Recuperation, Life, Shelter, and Union.)

But that would mean that all my spirits I would want to keep out, so for me it wouldn't be too effective to be killing the first one, and bringing it back 45-60 seconds later. To top it off, I'm putting all my points in Spawning Power and Restoration Magic so I wouldn't really be able to regain enough energy to keep up a spirit chain and heal.

Spirit Siphon (Spell)

I never used it myself (and it seems really interesting, huh?) but I heard that it doesn't give all that much energy... probably beause of it's quick cast and recycle time...

Longasc
22-03-2006, 10:10
Regarding Spirit Siphon, how much max Energy does a spirit have - and are there differences, do they use up energy for their attacks and so on...?

Archangel Raguil
22-03-2006, 11:44
Regarding Spirit Siphon, how much max Energy does a spirit have - and are there differences, do they use up energy for their attacks and so on...?

heh, I'm not sure myself, but I certainly want to test this out during the event!!!

I only wish we could use the Battle Island training area to test out everything...

Erasculio
22-03-2006, 23:01
This was discussed right after the PvP event, but the consensus was that we didn't know (what a crappy consensus, huh? :tongue: ). I have no idea if all spirits have the same base energy, if all use energy, if some use energy, etc...

That's one thing our lovely Ritualist players could experiment with this weekend :wink: :wink: :wink:

Erasculio

superiorrunes
24-03-2006, 18:08
after playing ritualist in the FPE thismorning before work i can say that there is infact a skill that performs the basic funtion of teleporting any ally sprit to your location.

i forgot the name of the skill, as im at work now, but the skill costs 5 energy and only works for moving spirits from the edge of your aggro bubble to your location. not a very far teleport, but useful nonetheless.

Doyle
24-03-2006, 18:23
after playing ritualist in the FPE thismorning before work i can say that there is infact a skill that performs the basic funtion of teleporting any ally sprit to your location.

i forgot the name of the skill, as im at work now, but the skill costs 5 energy and only works for moving spirits from the edge of your aggro bubble to your location. not a very far teleport, but useful nonetheless.

Frankly, I think that's just about all you need. If I need 'em moved farther, they'll proabably be recharged by the time I get there. Most of the time I feel like moving them is when I've dropped them, they run due to AoE, then the get re-engaged just beyond the spirits' range, so this should do just fine!

Time to go see if my boss will let me go home early...

Finn
24-03-2006, 18:30
As I recall (I am at work right now too) it has a quick cast time and a quick refresh as well. It was not attached to an attribute. It is too bad the range was so short, I had not tested it last night.

Eldiniel
24-03-2006, 21:03
the skill is draw spirit! energy cost:5 cast time: 1 recharge: 5

TBMarauder
24-03-2006, 21:12
Draw Spirit:

http://abulgarianfuture.com/DrawSpirit.jpg

Doyle
24-03-2006, 23:39
After playing with it, I've decided I don't really like it that much. I just didn't find as many opportunities to move spirits as I thought I would.

Soul Twisting, OTOH, rocks.

Edit: Now if I could only test Ritual Lord. :undecided:

Goldfish God
25-03-2006, 06:05
Destruction (last 30 seconds, when dies does area damage) seems like it should go well with Draw Spirit, since u can keep it back to combo off spirit-condition spells (couple of the channeling/restoration do more if a spirit is near), but then yank it into the front lines just before it pops.

slightly odd, Destruction seems to have a unique skin for its spirit (a weird floaty rhino version of the normal Whailing Lord/Banshee type spirit).

I imagine Draw Spirit was introduced to counter all the accusations of being a camper class.

QuixotesGhost
25-03-2006, 07:34

Destruction works MUCH better due to the 20 second recycle. You hardly know the difference with Boon of Creation.

Doyle
25-03-2006, 08:48
Destruction works MUCH better due to the 20 second recycle. You hardly know the difference with Boon of Creation.

The place it works great is with Union. Union's duration is meaningless -- it nearly always dies first due to damage. However, most of the time, it stays up longer than the recycle time of Soul Twisting (10 sec), so you can catch it right before it dies and recast it.

And frankly, we have no choice -- they didn't let us play with Ritual Lord and I haven't seen a boss with it yet. Heck, they didn't even give us access to Serpent's Quickness! And I don't think Ghostly Haste is work the slot.

But must get sleep now...

QuixotesGhost
25-03-2006, 16:21
The place it works great is with Union. Union's duration is meaningless -- it nearly always dies first due to damage. However, most of the time, it stays up longer than the recycle time of Soul Twisting (10 sec), so you can catch it right before it dies and recast it.

It doesn't always though. And Destruction recycles fast enough that you can use it to sub in gaps in your chain to keep union going, or use it to keep up something like shelter as well.

I'm suggesting Destruction in the place of Pain as "Soul Twist Food".