PDA

View Full Version : Tyrian Zoology

Смерть
19-03-2006, 18:59
Field Research in Tyrian Zoology
Writer: C M E P Tb (Tyrian Biologist)

Field Research I: Hydra

Hydra Specie Portrait (http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4045/hydras8ds.jpg)

Shared Specie Traits:
Hydras band in packs of 3-4. There is no aggression when one pact meets another. Hydras usually break off to roam individually around a claimed territory. After a while of being on their own they regroup if as to reaffirm their strength and numbers. It is noted that the occasional group might travel a long ways in search of new territory. Futher reasons for travel include the keeping of social ties with other packs and to search for food. When basking in the sun, hydras usually find sport in playfully nipping between their three heads. It is rare, but sometimes you can find an alpha leader. The alpha usually will have a nickname given from the surrounding human inhabitants. The nickname not only distinguishes the alpha from the rest of the pack in size, but also as a further warning because they usually carry special abilities* separate from the other hydras.

Hydras are not threatened nor attack most native creatures in the wild. Species the Hydras do take offense to are ones usually well developed (ex. Humans, Charr, and Centaurs). There is also aggression noted against certain magical beings (ex. The Forgotten). After being threatened the hydra will roar declaring claim over its territory and signaling the help of its pack. The hydra will chase the intruder a good distance before returning if the intruder chooses to flee. Knowledge to sex, procreation, and stages of growth are of yet undiscovered. Diet is also unknown, but it is theorized that they do eat that which they rip from their target during attack.

General defenses among hydras include biting. When ripping at a target the hydra will focus with its middle head. After taking a firm hold the other two heads will come in to send in quick deadly bites. The hydra does not stay too long in this attack for defensive purposes. Besides biting the hydra can possibly scratch with the claws of its lower legs as well as tail whip, but these are attacks the hydra does not use. It is theorized from shear ferociousness the hydra prefers to use attacks that will kill the quickest. A greater elaboration on traits not held common between species can be found in the individual profiles below ‘Shared Specie Descriptions’.

Shared Specie Descriptions:
The easiest characteristic in distinguishing hydras from greater dragons is their three heads. All species of hydra have two short upper arms located at the breast, each of these having only two digits in the claw; two lower legs support the weight of the hydra as it walks while the large tail keeps balance. The foot claws have three digits each and are larger in comparison to the claws of the upper arms. When attacking
the upper arms move outwards in stance to give balance for the hydra's heads to close in on thier target. The tongues are all the same in size except for small color differences. The main contrasts between species rests in body color, scales, tail, and head.

I. Hydra ascalonus

Trait Observations:
Specific defenses of the Hydra ascalonus are found in its tough scale-armored body.
Attacks it is capable of include elemental damage such as Meteor and Inferno. Hydra ascalonus is found in the following territories: Dragon’s Gullet, Diessa Lowlands, and Ascalon Foothills.

Description:
General descriptions of the Hydra ascalonus are a red-brown body and green/ tan striped tail.

Head:
Tan scaly spikes start and ride up the back of the neck. These come to a final dorsal flap at the top of the head. This dorsal flap is a combination of the spiked scales, but in no way acts as a horn. The back of the neck consists of dark red-brown scales. Under the throate is found a skin flap that has scales protruding. An interesting distinguishing factor of the face is a bone protrusion (covered by scales) from the end of the jaw that juts out in three places. The middle protrusion starts right underneath the eye. The yellow eye does not have a pupil and is centered right at the back of the jaw. The 12 teeth in the upper bridge are twice as long as those in the lower bridge of 14 teeth. The teeth show outside of the mouth when the jaw is closed.

Tail:
The tail has spikes that feather the bottom of the tail from the hip to the middle. The spikes then feather the top from the middle of the tail to the tip. Green and tan stripes decorate the tail underneath. The top is dotted with rough scales. The spikes on top of the tail are peaked tan.

II. Hydra deserotus

Trait Observations:
Specific defenses of the Hydra deserotus are found in its tough scale-armored body (less dense than that of Hydra ascalonus and Hydra mahgotis). Attacks the hydra deserotus is capable of include elemental damage such as Meteor, Inferno, and Fireball. Hydra deserotus is found in the following territories: Skyward Reach, Elonas Pass, and The Arid Sea.

An alpha Hydra deserotus lives in The Arid Sea and has been nicknamed 'Brol Migo Hinga'. This alpha uses dust and flame traps to disable targets.

Description:
General descriptions of the Hydra deserotus are a tan body and black, tan, and white striped tail.

Head:
The head has dark red-brown spikes following from the start of the neck to the top of the head. There is no skin flap underneath the chin, but the same spikes found on the head. The eyes are not found right next to the jaw, but are set directly above the mouth. The eyes are white with a yellow pupil surrounded with red. Instead of teeth, this hydra has a jagged hawk-like beak. The lower beak juts out in an under bite. Rising out of the beak on the upper jaw is a reddish horn.

Tail:
The tail has tan-red spikes that only follow down the top. The first half extending from the hind legs is striped tan and dark brown-red. The second half extending to the tip of the tail is striped white and black. Unlike the Hydra ascalonus, the stripes on Hydra deserotus follow completely around the tail.

III. Hydra mahgotis

Trait Observations:
Specific defenses of the Hydra mahgotis are found in its tough rock-like armored body. Some biologists believe that the hydra’s scales are partly cemented hard with ash collected during its lifetime. Attacks the hydra is capable of include elemental damage such as Meteor Shower, Inferno, Glyph of Renewal, and Phoenix. Hydra maghotis is found primarily on Perdition Rock.

Description:
General descriptions of the Hydra mahgotis are its plated body unlike the scale covered bodies of its distant relatives. These scales can be compared in look to that of your fingernails. Also important to note is the purple-black hued body with tan plated scales on its underside. Unlike the other two species, Hydra ascalonus and Hydra deserotus, Hydra mahgotis does not have small scales covering its stomach. Instead there are large rectangular plated scales some biologists argue too be tougher than those of a Frozen Worm.

Head:
The neck follows five plates to two crowing plates forming a crest at the head. Underneath the neck are tan spikes that stop at the jaw. This is where a tan skin flap resides. Two black horns protrude from underneath the chin on each of the heads. The two horns start with a smaller horn right at the chin followed by a larger one behind it. Certainly these horns are tougher than those of Hydra deserotus, but of yet have not been identified as to being bone or obsidian. A main contrast of the Hydra mahgotis between other species is a red line running down from the lower jaw to the end of the neck. As this hydra’s attacks are elemental, the discoloration along the neck is thought to be a natural mark and not one from dripping venom or poison. The eye is located around the same place as Hydra deserotus. The black pupil is larger than other species and sets in a yellow oval eye. A characteristic in common with Hydra deserotus is a beaked mouth. The beaked mouth in this case is more of a parrot shape.

Tail:
Very interesting is the succession of armored plates that make up the tail. These plates are linked for no better word in a “circular” manner. The overall structure in truth is not so much circle in shape as it is a square set on one of its points. Jutting out from each edge of these “circular” plates is a spike. The color is the same as the body (purple and black) except for the tip of the tail which is green. Some biologists believe this hydra to be a hybrid of both the Hydra ascalonus and Hydra deserotus.

Evidence:Hydra Phisiology (http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8437/full1af.jpg)

================================================== ====
*Though Inferno can be related as fire the hydra actually breaths out, the magical properties of Meteor, Meteor Shower, Glyph of Renewal, and Phoenix are under debate because they are magical skills that are cast and not one spewed from the gut. Some believe that it is inherited (as with magical powers in greater dragons). Others believe they are abilities given to the hydras from outside influences. This last belief focuses especially around cases of alpha hydras in general and especially the Hydra mahgotis whom some believe the Lich to blame. As far as spells and skills outside of elemental power such as dust trap and flame trap; Biologists are baffled.

Barinthus
19-03-2006, 20:04
Wow I'm impressed! Keep this up! If you need help with acquiring data or whatever, do let us know :D

Quintus Antonius
19-03-2006, 22:30
May I make a suggestion? Use actual Latin scientific names, and also italicise the word whenever you use a scientific name. It isn't necessary to type the word out a million types in the course of your research either, a scientific name can be abbreviated using the the capitalized first letter, a period, and then the last word, lower-cased.

As for the first suggestion, I wouldn't call it "Hydra deserotus". I'm not sure if 'deserotus' is a real word, or if you just made it up by making "desert" sound Latin. If the last is the case, may I suggest changing the name to Hydra inculta, as inculta is the actual term in Latin for a desert.

Also, I'm not completely sure what H. mahgotis means in English, but I don't think "mahgotis" is Latin either, perhaps I'm wrong, because I'm not sure where you derived or found the word "mahgotis". But, because you are describing the hydra in question as heavily armored, I would change the name to Hydra loricatus, quite literally "armored hydra".

In the future, when including zoological reviews of creatures, please provide an entomology of the word you are using, so that we know what it means. I request this because in real zoological reviews, this is standard, and is usually the first thing they do.

Also, include a habitat description, as well as just a habitat list.

One final thought. Odds are all these hydras are of the same species, whereas their subspecies varies. I propose that all hydras be classified as Hydra loricatus-"armored hydra", and that the subspecies vary. For instance, the desert hydra would now become Hydra loricatus inculta, belonging to the genus hydra, the species H. loricatus and the subspecies H. loricatus inculta. However, this point is up to debate, as we don't know if the various hydras are genetically different to the point they can't interbreed, so if you want to keep each as a different species, I won't really condemn that, as we can't really prove it.

I'm sorry for knitpicking like this, but I'm just trying to make suggestions to further professionalize your work.

teh Monkeys
19-03-2006, 22:41
Latin names in science and biology are made up by the discoverers/inventors 95% of the time. Your point is moot.

Quintus Antonius
19-03-2006, 22:51
Latin names in science and biology are made up by the discoverers/inventors 95% of the time. Your point is moot.

Not true at all. Most times, a scientfic name is a description of the creature, or the region it is found in. Only with new species are they named after the discoverer, and that is only a modern trait. When Linnaeus first came up with the taxonomist system, animals were named either by traits or by habitat. It is meant to show relationships between species and groups of organisms.

If you are making something up in science, you are doing something wrong. Notice I didn't make any fuss about the use of the word "ascalonus" because it is an accurate term. It is found in the Ascalon region, and he Latinized the name correctly. Taxonomy follows a set of rules, even when Latinizing a word, there are Latin grammar principles that must be obeyed.

Barinthus
19-03-2006, 23:26
mahgotis - I believe his 'root' word was mmm magho as in Magho Hydra

Quintus Antonius
19-03-2006, 23:29
mahgotis - I believe his 'root' word was mmm magho as in Magho Hydra

Oh alright, if that's the case, then his binomial name is perfect. I tripped over that work when I didn't reconize it.

Смерть
20-03-2006, 09:55
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?p=3975479#post3975479

Was writing in the above thread that was discussing whether part of the Ring of Fire was in the Catacombs of Ascalon.

Three ideas of migratory evolution for the hydra struck me. Hypothesis so far:

1. The Ascalon --travelled and evolved--> Desert Hydra --travelled (I dont know how...) and evolved into --> Mahgo Hydra (Since Mahgo is a cross between the two; with its own flare).

2. The Desert Hydra --travelled and evolved--> Ascalon Hydra --travelled (dont know how...) and evolved into Mahgo Hydra...

3. The Lich took both beast and interbread them to create a hybrid Mahglo Hydra to guard his islands ;p. This gives us a reasonable idea on how the Mahglo Hydra may have ended up on Perdition Rock in the first place. And how could the Lich have bred two different species of Hydra? Because they might have evolved from one another and were not unrelated to begin with (do not know which way the evolution would go yet though). If you go look at the Picture at the bottom of the above article. Both the Desert and Ascalon hydra have a bone structure (horn) that juts out from the back of the jaw (the desert more so by the eye). The desert hydra has 1 and the Ascalon hydra has 3.

Heck, if the Lich put the Mahgo Hydra on the forsaken rock, How did the other life get there?! *rubs hands excitedly*

rho
20-03-2006, 10:54
Multiple closely related species in separate areas would generally indicate that their ancestral species had a wider range, but have since been restricted to limited areas.

I would surmise that the ancestral hydra would have covered much of Tyria 3000 years ago, but that they were marginalised by the spread of humans, dwarves and so on.

In all likelihood, the Ascalon hydrae would be physiologically most similar to the ancestral stock, since their environment is probably most similar to the environment encountered by the ancient hydrae. The hydrae of the desert and of the Fire Islands will have had to adapt to their harsh surroundings.

Quintus Antonius
20-03-2006, 12:18
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?p=3975479#post3975479

Was writing in the above thread that was discussing whether part of the Ring of Fire was in the Catacombs of Ascalon.

Three ideas of migratory evolution for the hydra struck me. Hypothesis so far:

1. The Ascalon --travelled and evolved--> Desert Hydra --travelled (I dont know how...) and evolved into --> Mahgo Hydra (Since Mahgo is a cross between the two; with its own flare).

2. The Desert Hydra --travelled and evolved--> Ascalon Hydra --travelled (dont know how...) and evolved into Mahgo Hydra...

3. The Lich took both beast and interbread them to create a hybrid Mahglo Hydra to guard his islands ;p. This gives us a reasonable idea on how the Mahglo Hydra may have ended up on Perdition Rock in the first place. And how could the Lich have bred two different species of Hydra? Because they might have evolved from one another and were not unrelated to begin with (do not know which way the evolution would go yet though). If you go look at the Picture at the bottom of the above article. Both the Desert and Ascalon hydra have a bone structure (horn) that juts out from the back of the jaw (the desert more so by the eye). The desert hydra has 1 and the Ascalon hydra has 3.

Heck, if the Lich put the Mahgo Hydra on the forsaken rock, How did the other life get there?! *rubs hands excitedly*

The different species of hydra may not be interconnected at all. Various different variations in gene flow could have seperated the species. Meaning that they were all part of the base species but because of things such as the founder effect, different diversities and etc would cause the different groups of original hydra to be seperated and then adapt and change together, but seperately.

Multiple closely related species in separate areas would generally indicate that their ancestral species had a wider range, but have since been restricted to limited areas.

I would surmise that the ancestral hydra would have covered much of Tyria 3000 years ago, but that they were marginalised by the spread of humans, dwarves and so on.

In all likelihood, the Ascalon hydrae would be physiologically most similar to the ancestral stock, since their environment is probably most similar to the environment encountered by the ancient hydrae. The hydrae of the desert and of the Fire Islands will have had to adapt to their harsh surroundings.

Right on. Only it was not necessary for the original hydra to cover a wide range. If only a small population were moved to an area and managed to survive, it would give rise to the populations we see today. However, if you are correct and they originally had a wide range, it is likely that they were around long, long ago, because the geological and climatological changes necessary to seperate the species wouldn't have happened overnight. We don't have a record that far back.

On another note, it is of importance to remember that the Ring of Fire island change has certain magical properties that mutate the organisms and geological formations of the island. That is why we see all manner of weird and mysterious creatures. It is likely that H. mahgosus was a by-product of this, along with such creatures as the Flesh Golems and various other creatures of the islands.

rho
20-03-2006, 14:45
Right on. Only it was not necessary for the original hydra to cover a wide range. If only a small population were moved to an area and managed to survive, it would give rise to the populations we see today. However, if you are correct and they originally had a wide range, it is likely that they were around long, long ago, because the geological and climatological changes necessary to seperate the species wouldn't have happened overnight. We don't have a record that far back.

It's not entirely necessary, no, but I think it's the simplest possible explanation. Any other explanation of how they got where they are today also has to explain why there are no hydrae in the in-between places, and I can't think of any other possibility that explains it so neatly as the idea that they were previously widespread.

On another note, it is of importance to remember that the Ring of Fire island change has certain magical properties that mutate the organisms and geological formations of the island. That is why we see all manner of weird and mysterious creatures. It is likely that H. mahgosus was a by-product of this, along with such creatures as the Flesh Golems and various other creatures of the islands.

Indeed. In our world, a few thousand years is a very short time when we're looking at an evolutionary timescale. In Tyria, though, there are all sorts of magical effects as well, so bets as to the timescales are pretty much off.

Quintus Antonius
20-03-2006, 17:03
Indeed. In our world, a few thousand years is a very short time when we're looking at an evolutionary timescale. In Tyria, though, there are all sorts of magical effects as well, so bets as to the timescales are pretty much off.

That's also reckoning without artificial selection caused by meddling with the natural adaptation processes of the creatures. Remember, in terms of creatures such as Windriders and minotaurs, they were created and/or modified by various races of socerers throughout their natural progression.

Смерть
20-03-2006, 18:01
That's also reckoning without artificial selection caused by meddling with the natural adaptation processes of the creatures. Remember, in terms of creatures such as Windriders and minotaurs, they were created and/or modified by various races of socerers throughout their natural progression.

Thank you for both your input. The above ^ was the evidence I needed to show how alpha hydras had skills different from normal hydras; and why hydras have powers that are used by mages. Does elemental damage such as meteor sound like a natural skills for a hydra or one given by a sorcerer. Also, Quintus, do you have screen evidence that the minotaurs were meddled with which I could use in explaining this point in the article? I would guess it is on a tablet reading somewhere.

Originally Posted by rho
It's not entirely necessary, no, but I think it's the simplest possible explanation. Any other explanation of how they got where they are today also has to explain why there are no hydrae in the in-between places, and I can't think of any other possibility that explains it so neatly as the idea that they were previously widespread.

I agree. Time is something I should have taken more consideration with. I am leaning towards your idea of them being more widespread to begin with. Just for discussion sake, could the H. ascalonus into H. inculta, have evolved over time in travel on thier way to the desert over the mountain range in the South? This would support why there are no hydrae throughout Shiverpeaks (too cold) and Kryta. This evolution would have been of course over a long period of time before Searing. Then the explanation why the H. ascalonus resides where it is now because other populations have pushed it there.

Barinthus
21-03-2006, 02:37
Perhaps they used teleporters to spread ;)

rho
21-03-2006, 06:38
I agree. Time is something I should have taken more consideration with. I am leaning towards your idea of them being more widespread to begin with. Just for discussion sake, could the H. ascalonus into H. inculta, have evolved over time in travel on thier way to the desert over the mountain range in the South? This would support why there are no hydrae throughout Shiverpeaks (too cold) and Kryta. This evolution would have been of course over a long period of time before Searing. Then the explanation why the H. ascalonus resides where it is now because other populations have pushed it there.

Well, if there was a group that travelled down form Ascalon to the desert, you'd expect them to also remain along the route. Otherwise you have a situation where you have hydrae spreading into new territory, surviving there, but then moving out of it again, going further away from their start point each time. Possible, but unlikely. If an area is good enough to move into it's probably good enough to stay in.

What is possible (and maybe what you meant in the first place; I'e just woken up and I'm still sleepy) is that there are still hydrae throughout the entire of the west of Tyria. We don't know anything of the mountain range between Ascalon and the desert. Maybe it's full of hydrae.

That way, we'd have a picture whereby there were hydrae all down the west, with a gradual transition from H. ascalonus to H. inculta rather than the sharp species divide we get to see. H. ascalonus will the have bee marginalised and pushed out of most of Ascalon by human settlers.

What we need to do, I suspect is go back to the physiologies of the three different (known) species, and see if we can construct a phylogenetic tree (determine which species are more closely related to each other than the third). That would give us clues as to the order of their evolution, which could shed some light on the issue. I think I'll get on that right away.

absolute zero
21-03-2006, 07:14
Its slightly off topic, though may be an interesting point, the Hydra Mahgotis deal fire damage with their attacks (suggesting they breathe out fire?) but the hydras of the desert don't. At this point i am not sure about Hydra Ascalonus though my belief is that they do not deal fire damage with their attacks.

Rob Van Der Sloot
21-03-2006, 07:35
Hydra ascalonus is found in the following territories: Dragon’s Gullet, Diessa Lowlands, and Ascalon Foothills.

You left out the Flame Temple Corridor.

rho
21-03-2006, 07:38
So I've been looking at the physiologies, trying to determine how the three known hydra species are related to each other. There are two very obvious features that catch my eye. The first is the mouth: H. Ascalonus has teeth, whereas H. Inculta and H. Mahgotis both have beaks. This would definitely seem to imply that the initial split was between H. Ascalonus and a common ancestor of the other two species, with H. Inculta and H. Mahgotis diverging later.

The other big, obvious difference is the spikes of H. Ascalonus and H. Inculta compared to the armour plate of H. Mahgotis. Looking at that feature alone, you might conclude that H. Mahgotis was the distant cousin.

However, we know that other reptiles (drakes, for instance, or Glint) have teeth, so it seems likely that the ancestral hydra also had teeth. Since it is unlikely that beaks evolved twice independantly, we conclude that H. Inculta and H. Mahgotis are more closely related to each other than either is to H. Ascalonus.

To then avoid having to make the spikes to or from armour change more than once, we would then have the ancestral hydra also having spikes, with H. Mahgotis' armour evolving later.

As I see it, the picture unfolding now looks something like this:

An ancestral hydra similar to H. Ascalonus used to be widespread across the entire East of Tyria, but never drossed the Shiverpeaks.
Something about the desert (extreme conditions? magical interference?) caused H. Inculta to evolve a beak .
H. Ascalonus was pushed back into its current small range by human expansion, but possibly a subspecies still exists in the mountains south of Ascalon.
The ancestors of what would become H. Mahgotis reached the Fire Islands from the desert (over the peninsula of Orr? transported there by the mursaat to guard their islands?), and evolved their armour plating (again, possibly environmental, or possibly magical interference?)

Does that sound about right?

Смерть
21-03-2006, 07:45
An ancestral hydra similar to H. Ascalonus used to be widespread across the entire East of Tyria, but never drossed the Shiverpeaks.
Something about the desert (extreme conditions? magical interference?) caused H. Inculta to evolve a beak .
H. Ascalonus was pushed back into its current small range by human expansion, but possibly a subspecies still exists in the mountains south of Ascalon.
The ancestors of what would become H. Mahgotis reached the Fire Islands from the desert (over the peninsula of Orr? transported there by the mursaat to guard their islands?), and evolved their armour plating (again, possibly environmental, or possibly magical interference?)

Does that sound about right?

Yes, that sounds convincing.

You left out the Flame Temple Corridor.

Thanks! If anyone comes up with anymore corrections please post!

Смерть
21-03-2006, 18:41
Field Research in Tyrian Zoology
Writer: C M E P Tb (Tyrian Biologist)

Field Research II: Gargoyle

Guide to Names
statula; statua - Latin origin for the word statue; gargoyle.
ascalonus - Latin translation of Ascalon; from Kingdom of Ascalon.
sophismatius – Latin translation of the word illusions.

Gargoyles make up part of the more magical life of Tyria. There are two species from this class, the Statula ascalonus and Statua sophismatius. The hypothesis as of now states these two strains come from the same origin (the origin is yet undiscovered). As there is no trace of any Gargoyle between Ascalon and Kryta, we continue that these two species evolved by themselves and do not share any relationship of evolving from one another. The society between gargoyles is one of responsibility. Under the two species is found individual members who hold different jobs. There have been sightings of alphas within both of these species. On average gargoyles do not attack other wildlife though aggression has been observed against Grawl.

In general, gargoyles form in groups of two and and larger. There has even been found in such areas as Twin Serpent Lake the gathering of hordes numbering 15. The S. ascalonus being more reclusive of the two species can also be found wandering by itself. Like most other beasts, groups of Statua will guard a certain territory. It has been observed that some groups do travel (especially with the S. sophismatius). When threatened they will call for assistance from fellow group members. No time is lost when an intruder approaches as the gargoyles immediately slow and hex their target. There is no preference as to who sends off what spells first. Distant attacks include (for the exception of the Mergoyle Wavebreaker who throws stones and Resurrect Gargoyle who throws fire) destructive magical beams. If a target gets too close, the gargoyle will resort to clawing with its hands. More detailed accounts of gargoyle traits can be found in individual reports further on in this article.

Evidence of the hypothesis behind the two species sharing one origin rests in the observation that they look and act almost identical. The gargoyle walks on their hind legs like a human and eventually squat when resting. In this position the hands can comfortably rest on its knees. The gargoyle also practices stretching its neck. This stretching is to relieve built up stress as unlike humans, gargoyles have a terribly hunched posture. One might describe the blades on the gargoyle as wings. These wings can be on the each side of the head behind the jaw, the back, lower arms, and at the thigh of the back legs. Large bird-like feet consist of three huge digits that come forward in the front. Each digit has a sharp nail. The claws of the hand are the same, but smaller in comparison. Both have a sharp tail at the end of the wing blade following down the spine.

I. Statua Ascalonus

Habitat:
After the Searing, Ascalon has turned into a daunting wasteland. Most vegetation is either dead or consists of weeds. Water supply is low as tar has filled what once were lakes and rivers. Lightning flashes from the unstable skies reflected by the crystals torn from the earth when the fire of the Charr turned the soft soil to glass. Food supply is short in this harsh environment, but animals do find refuge in the Ascalon Foothills.

Description:
In referencing the social relations between specie we will use the nicknames commonly used among Tyria (it is important to note that they all fall under S. ascalonus). Starting with the first of the three we note the Flash Gargoyle. This Statua is an Elementalist and uses Lightning Orb to kill. Shatter Gargoyle acts as a Mesmer using Conjure Phantasm and Imagined Burden to slow enemies. Resurrect Gargoyle (the rarest of the three) acts as a monk in resurrecting fallen group members. All members preferably will stand from a distance when attacking; especially the monk who is depended upon for the group’s ultimate survival. The Ressurect Gargoyle is found primarly in the Diessia Lowlands or wherever an alpha might show. Groups usually consist only of the Shatter or Flash iStatua.

A dominate characteristic of this statua[/]i is its brown scaled lower boy, and flesh colored upper body. This flesh color starts from the belly up and is the most vulnerable area of the body. The nails of the hand and foot claws have the appearance of being red. Being a blood thirsty species, Tyrian biologists speculate this to be an almost compulsive habit to tear at live flesh (suspected to be Grawl). The bladed wings might look feathery from a distance, but up close show a hard leather mesh of scales. The head contains a crown of four jagged horns with pointed ears on each side. The brow follows a plated pattern of scales which gives the face a menacing appearance. The slit pupils of the eyes are used to see well in the dark. The lower part of the face is almost human as a large nose rests above partial upper lips. The mouth is wrinkled, but a noticeable lower lip can be identified. There are 12 teeth in both upper and lower bridges of the mouth. The teeth are serrated and used for tearing flesh.

There is no difference in size between the three except for the Resurrection Gargoyle who stands three times the height of the others. The larger size is believed to give the monk member of the group more stamina and defense in his role. Size of the Flash and Shatter Gargoyle are also the same as both members of S. sophismatius.

Biologist argue over a fourth member of this group or the "original" Statua who lived in the catacombs of Ascalon before the Searing. One side believes this "fourth" member became exctinct from the Searing while others believe it to be the same as the one now called Flash Gargoyle. In this second view it is thought that the gargoyle after the Searing was forced to adapt to the harsher environments for survival purposes by learning the ability to use Lightning Orb. In the catacombs during Pre-Searing it was a docile creature who only clawed if provoked.

An alpha Ignis Phanaura is known to live in an old ruined Temple outside of Nolani Academy. It is bigger than the Shatter and Flash Gargoyle, but does not reach the size of the Ressurect Gargoyle. Statua ascalonus can be found in: Old Ascalon and Diessa Lowlands.

[i]II. Statula sophismatius

Habitat:
Kyrta and its coastlines are a lush vegetative jungle full of exoticism and sustenance. Many different species of wildlife accumulate to live off of the abundant natural supply. Palms and many other large trees give much shade. Not only are there many inland animals, but coastal as well. The beach is a rich source of fish and other sea diets. Middle Regions of Kryta have unfortunately been plagued by the undead. The mark of death has taken its toll on parts of the land, turning into insect invested bog and swamplands.

Description:
The S. sophismatius has only two members in its social community. The first is (by nickname) the Mergoyle which acts as an Elementalist/ Mesmer using skills such as Glyph of Lesser Renewal, Spirit Shackles, Mind Wrack, and Deep Freeze. The Mergoyle Wavebreaker acts pure Elementalist using skills such as Deep Freeze, Glyph of Lesser Renewal, and Grasping Earth. It is more common to see the plain Mergoyle in larger groups as the Mergoyle Wavebreaker groups reach the height of three. When felt threatened spells will be cast to both slow down the intruder and to confuse him. This confusion comes primarily from the Mergoyle whose skills trick an enemy into attacking, thereby loosing energy and taking damage.

In adapting to their environment, the S. sophismatius has developed more fish-like attributes to swim the surf of the ocean. The first distinguishing factor its body is a salmon pink color except for the upper arms, chest, and head which are a light flesh color. There is the same pink coloring around the mouth. Two gills are located on each side of the head located behind the cheekbone and eyes taking the place of ears. The first gill is smaller than the one behind it.

The wings of this specie though still consisting of leathery scales are actually fins. Fins are found at the back of the facial cheeks, on each arm, and on the buttocks of each leg, and three fins down the back. These fins are used for swimming. All fins besides the ones on the back are supported by large bones that jut out from the arm or leg. The arm has three bones that help stabilize the fin while the leg has only two.

The eyes are a filmy brown with a dark slit pupil. These eyes are larger in comparison to S. ascalonus because they are more accustomed to the light from living under the coastal sun. The nose is large and blends into the upper part of the mouth. This creates a walrus looking upper lip that has enough skin to stretch over two large tusks on either side of the mouth extending downwards. The upper bridge of the mouth contains 10 sharp teeth that are considerably larger than the 10 teeth on the lower bridge. The lower lip is recognizably close to that of a human. The brow is wrinkled as it is believed to be permanent from concentration in casting spells. There are black lines that start from the brow extending upwards on the head. It is unknown for now whether these too are gills or are just inherited decorations. There is no difference in size between the two.

Statula sophismatius can be found in: Scoundrals Rise, North Kryta Providence, Nebo Terrace, Watchtower Coast, and Divinity Coast.

Evidence: Physiology (http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6/gargoyle6jg.jpg)

Zaxares
22-03-2006, 00:35
Nice work. :smiley: I would have called the mergoyles Statula Aqua, because it seems obvious to me that mergoyles are aquatic dwelling (or perhaps amphibious) variants of the gargoyles in that they are only ever found around or near large bodies of water.

Quintus Antonius
22-03-2006, 00:59
Nice work. :smiley: I would have called the mergoyles Statula Aqua, because it seems obvious to me that mergoyles are aquatic dwelling (or perhaps amphibious) variants of the gargoyles in that they are only ever found around or near large bodies of water.

Mer refers to their skill set. MesMER GarGOYLEs=Mergoyle.

Zaxares
22-03-2006, 01:12
Mer refers to their skill set. MesMER GarGOYLEs=Mergoyle.

Ah. I was thinking of it like "Man -> Merman" is to "Gargoyle -> Mergoyle". A leftover from my D&D days. :smiley:

Quintus Antonius
22-03-2006, 01:24
Ah. I was thinking of it like "Man -> Merman" is to "Gargoyle -> Mergoyle". A leftover from my D&D days. :smiley:

I completely understand, and if they didn't use such a variety of mesmer illusion magic skills, I'd totally agree, because it would make sense in that case. Perhaps because I'm a mesmer, I made that connection quicker than people who may not be familiar with the mesmer. I just hear and see the word "mesmer" more :grin:

Scott the Green
22-03-2006, 08:33
So, the "mer" in mergoyle comes from their class? Then perhaps you can explain why their elementalists are called "mergoyle wavebreakers" and don't use any mesmer skills.

They do, however, use a number of water spells.

Ranger Nietzsche
22-03-2006, 18:56
Not sure if you still wanted these: the evidence taht minotaurs and wind riders were either constructed or modified by powerful mages of teh past:

Taken from teh Thread on Minotaurs:

Cembrian Says

The desert holds many secrets for those who would uncover them. Are you such a seeker of knowledge? Then let your journey begin in the Prophet's Path. Long ago, those lands were ruled by the Sorcerer Lord Kree, who controlled an army of beasts, their flesh inscribed with runes of power that only he understood. Even today, among the progeny of his ancient army are sometimes born those bearing the mark of Kree.

and this thread with the screenie of teh windrider myth

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=386543&page=7

Quintus Antonius
22-03-2006, 21:31
So, the "mer" in mergoyle comes from their class? Then perhaps you can explain why their elementalists are called "mergoyle wavebreakers" and don't use any mesmer skills.

They do, however, use a number of water spells.

I acknowledge I could be wrong. I'd argue however, that "wavebreaker" explains the water connection in-of-itself. Because, to my knowledge, the regular mergoyles don't use water spells. Still, as others have pointed out, they are found near water, and do look as if they might live in water, and the wavebreaker does use water spells, so mermaid is as good an explanation as any.

The only reason I suggested that 'mer' was from 'mesmer' was because they use mesmer spells and I figured, since this is the Guild Wars world, and there are no references anywhere else to merpeople, that it must mean mesmer, since that is a Guild Wars relatated object. I mean, in the Elder Scrolls, elven races are known as "Mer" (dunmer, altmer, bosmer, etc), and the mergoyles have pointy ears, so maybe they are actually elves? I know that's obviously not true, but you can see why I try not to think outside of Guild Wars, in regards to creatures, unless given a reason too. I never considered mermaid as the root word, until it was brought up, as I explained, because I'm a mesmer and mesmer was the first thing that came to mind. That was just my intial interpretation. I'm only posting this lengthy explanation so that people can see how my thought process worked.