PDA

View Full Version : are ritualists superior to monks(heal)

koliju
20-03-2006, 05:12
in the pvp week end i have used a ritualist healer and really liked it. restoration ritualists heal a little less than monks, but can keep many more people alive and has a much better energy managment,

so, i am thinking that the healer monk might be overpowered by the healer ritualist.

i would like to c what people think about this, an other thing wich is good for the ritualist is that restoration magic can be used to heal and to prevent damage.:grin:

Zaxares
20-03-2006, 05:33
Monks are better at healing single targets for massive amounts of health. Ritualists are better at healing multiple targets for low - moderate amounts of health. I don't see any reason why the two couldn't work together, really. Hopefully we may soon see stuff like:

GLF 1 healer monk and 1 healer ritualist!

Zingeri
20-03-2006, 06:26
As I've said, if Ritual Lord does not get nerfed, we'll be seeing Shelter + Union Spamming Ritualists.

The Experimentor
20-03-2006, 09:32
This topic makes me wonder what a Mo/Rt and a Rt/Mo are capable of.

Xunlai Agent
20-03-2006, 11:42
I think Ritualists can heal and enhance the party quite well. This leads me to believe that they may have been tuned down a bit or that counters were added to limit them a bit more. I would guess that they have been reworked a bit and I honestly doubt they will be exactly the same as they were when we played them during the Preview Weekend.

This is a possible scenario:
Weapon Of Quickening cast on Ritualist A by Ritualist B. Ritualist A then proceeds to uses Ritual Lord and follows this up with: Union, Life and Shelter ~ rinse and repeat...

I should imagine that ANet will allow them to compliment monks but not replace them. They will probably enhance monks but I shouldn't think that they will beat the monks at raw healing power.

~Xunlai Agent~

CKaz
20-03-2006, 21:26
Two things are apparently obvious to me anyways-
time to set up shop ie with pulling and careful play, Ritualist may excel Monk
ability to move quickly with party, doesn't require 'shop time', Monk surpasses

Obviously too simplistic to go too far with but the Ritualist can play engineer flavors of the Monk in healing and damage. While the Monk is more agile.

Ritualist has the advantage on home field, Monk does better on the road ;)

That's the impression I get from the PvP wkend anyways, looking forward to PvE trials

And since ANet is making me lose a slot I'll be chopping my Monk for a Rit :b lol

JeanDeathwish
20-03-2006, 22:54
I prefer the healing of a Ritualist. They can heal more people and usually thats what is needed. As for the poll... I voted Monk because most monks are heal/prot Monks while only some Rits are healing. I know my Rit want be healing. Also in the beginning, the Rit will not be as relyable as the Monk. People know what a monk can do. They are not too sure about the Rit.

flamingmarmo
20-03-2006, 23:14
They'll probably become demanded but not a replacement so you'll see 2 monk 1 heal rit back lines appear or 1 monk 1 rit in pve.

Siru
21-03-2006, 00:17
I would say that monk has a great attribute and skills called Protection Prayers. It'll keep monks in the scene quite awhile :thumbsup:

As I've said, if Ritual Lord does not get nerfed, we'll be seeing Shelter + Union Spamming Ritualists.
Doesn't matter what spirits they are spamming cause there is skills to make it useless.. If people just find those :laughing: As it has been usually.

Artemis Shadowhawk
21-03-2006, 02:57
Here's how I see it. Monks have 3 attributes made for healing (Healing, Protection and Divine Favor). Ritualists only have 1.

Erasculio
21-03-2006, 03:10
What I'm curious about is how the Ritualists are going to be seen in the game. Are the healing Ritualists going to be considered a must, placing the damage-dealers ones in a shadow, just like Heal and Prot Monks do today with Smiting Monks? Are the damage dealers or Spirit using Ritualists going to be the majority of players, so few people would consider Ritualists as pure healers? Or is there going to be a balance of both?

This makes me somewhat at easy, though, by knowing a Ritualist may have different roles. Considering the likely invasion of Rits and Assassins we'll see right after release, it's a good thing that a group made most of Ritualists (some healing, some attacking, some using spirits) could work by itself.

Erasculio

Artemis Shadowhawk
21-03-2006, 04:00
What I'm curious about is how the Ritualists are going to be seen in the game. Are the healing Ritualists going to be considered a must, placing the damage-dealers ones in a shadow, just like Heal and Prot Monks do today with Smiting Monks? Are the damage dealers or Spirit using Ritualists going to be the majority of players, so few people would consider Ritualists as pure healers? Or is there going to be a balance of both?

This makes me somewhat at easy, though, by knowing a Ritualist may have different roles. Considering the likely invasion of Rits and Assassins we'll see right after release, it's a good thing that a group made most of Ritualists (some healing, some attacking, some using spirits) could work by itself.

ErasculioExactly. I think that the ritualists diversity would earn them respect. I think the ritualist allows you to play several different types of style, such as mentioned. Because of this and the massive overflow of Ritualists and Assassins in Factions, I think Ritualists will be taking the roles of Elementalist, Support, MM, Monk, and so on. Furthermore, Ritualists have so many synergies between themselves such as use of spells that benefit from ash pots and spirits that a group of all Ritualist is a very viable option. I think that Ritualists will have no problem finding a game, where Assassins may, saying they are more of a one-trick pony.

Compare a W and a N. Warriors are usually wanted, but they always fill their one role as a tank. Sometimes they aren't even desires such as in tombs and some farming builds. Necromancers on the other hand can utilize many different situations such as a Spiteful Spirits build, MM, Battery, FoC spiker, and etc.

A ritualist, like a Necromancer can fill many roles and because of this, I believe the gaming community will respect them for that and always be glad to have them along. One missions you might be asked to play a Spiritualist, one mission a MM, one mission a Channeling Blaster, and one mission a Healer.

That's why I tihnk with the addition of Factions and all future expansions, parties will start looking more for "Healers" than "Monks" and for "Blasters" more than "Elementalists" and so on. And because of this, the ritualist will always have a place in the party.

Syes
23-03-2006, 00:55
I think it will be a while before rit's are seen as anything other than second-choice monks. Not because they can only heal or because monks are better, but because there's going to be a lot of ritualists (and assassins) around compared to some of the other classes - including monks. For a while rit's are going to experience what every smiting monk or el/mo has in the past ("can you be healer ?").

I'm sure those partying with guildies will have a great time though. Personally, I think Channeling looks awesome.

If I have one concern, it's that mostly only spirit heavy builds will prove to be be best as Rt/ rather than /Rt. If you're not using many spirits what use is Spawning ?

Finn
23-03-2006, 01:10
A ritualist, like a Necromancer can fill many roles and because of this, I believe the gaming community will respect them for that and always be glad to have them along. One missions you might be asked to play a Spiritualist, one mission a MM, one mission a Channeling Blaster, and one mission a Healer.

While I agree that the Ritualist has versatility on par with the Necromancer I get the feeling that they will be overlooked by many, partly due to their play style not being "easy". They will require patience, a virtue that seems to be lacking in a lot of players.

Syes copies my sentiments:

I think it will be a while before rit's are seen as anything other than second-choice monks. Not because they can only heal or because monks are better, but because there's going to be a lot of ritualists (and assassins) around compared to some of the other classes - including monks. For a while rit's are going to experience what every smiting monk or el/mo has in the past ("can you be healer ?").

I believe that we will see an initial influx of Ritualists, followed by a steady decline due to many not realizing their full potential. This is unfortunate, and had happened to necromancers prior to Spiteful spirit becoming the rage.

Too many people want the quick gratification, or the easy skill setup. They often refuse to think outside normal lines to create new and inventive builds. The ritualist skillset just begs to be tried in different combinations, much like the mesmer, the necromancer, and the ranger skillsets. Unfortunately it may also lead to many not understanding that the class can play many roles in a party.

Archangel Raguil
23-03-2006, 01:11
If I have one concern, it's that mostly only spirit heavy builds will prove to be be best as Rt/ rather than /Rt. If you're not using many spirits what use is Spawning ?

I agree for the most part - but I do think that those healing builds that use a few spirits (maybe 2 or 3) would benefit from a Ritualist primary because you would only have to use two attributes, Spawning Power and Restoration Magic, and you could max them both out. Also, at a level 16 Restoration, your spirit's level becomes 11, making them extra-durable. I only wish I knew exactly what gaining a level gave a spirit (how much health, and whether or not it gives armor)...

Mo/Ri probably will become rather common if they play with a Ritualist. There is one skill in particular that I love, but need spirits for : Mend Body and Soul, but there are others as well (Spirit Light, and Spirit Light Weapon for example). And of course there are some skills are great in the Restoration line, that Monks would love. The major downside here is that you wouldn't want to use too many Ritualist skills, because Divine Favor (and Boon) wouldn't work with Ritualist skills...

A bit off topic, but I think Mo/Ri or Ri/Mo will also show up as smiters. Channeling Magic in particular has quite a few good skills to use that don't require spirits, but if you or a party member does, you have a nice energy recover skill in the form of Signet of Spirits...

Finn
23-03-2006, 01:23
The major downside here is that you wouldn't want to use too many Ritualist skills, because Divine Favor (and Boon) wouldn't work with Ritualist skills...

Couple that with the removal of many of the current secondaries that many monks use to get energy management skills and you might not see that many Mo/Ri. That being said, there are some possible combinations that would take care of those energy management skills...

This weekend will bring us a great deal of information on how Ritualist skills synergize with skills from other classes. I am looking forward to it quite a bitl.

StridBR
26-03-2006, 19:12
Obviously too simplistic to go too far with but the Ritualist can play engineer flavors of the Monk in healing and damage. While the Monk is more agile.

Ritualist has the advantage on home field, Monk does better on the road ;)

u just put it in the right words :cool:

Tessalina
26-03-2006, 23:01
Yeppers, that's been my experience as well. Monks are great in that they can follow you around and instantly react to a situation. Ritualists have some powerful healing/defensive abilities, but it takes them a bit to get set up. Both professions have their strengths and I think, in time, both will be equally used.

Also, in my experience so far, I don't think Ritualist/Monk combos will be all that amazing either, although we'll probably see a bunch at first. The reason is that Monk and Ritualist healing methods are rather different in a lot of ways. And, to get the most out of either profession you really need to focus the majority of your skills on one or the other.

So far I'm finding elementalist and necromancer professions as much better "fits" for mixing with Ritualists.