PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Search Forums

ReniriAirion
21-03-2006, 08:10
I currently cannot use the search function on this forum. Really annoying considering there are so many pages of info and threads to go through. I'm using Firefox on a PC and I get this error when I hit the search button, after typing in a keyword to search.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/gwforums/public_html/search.php on line 1018

Can someone please tell me what this is and who I could contact on forum admin to submit a bug report/get the problem sorted out?

Mawgleah
21-03-2006, 12:36
I don't use Firefox, but I have received the same message using IE.

I usually get that message when there's more threads that meet the criteria than can be displayed.

When I search I use the advance search. I use only one keyword and I search titles only the first time around. I also limit the search to a specific forum (the one where I would most likely find the topic).

Keywords should be at least 4 characters long...although I have received the same message depending upon how many times that 4 character word has been used in a topic title.

If I don't find what I'm searching for I'll try different keywords, or search through the posts themselves instead of titles only.

Most times I find exactly what I want the first time around.

Ashberry
21-03-2006, 13:07
I currently cannot use the search function on this forum. Really annoying considering there are so many pages of info and threads to go through. I'm using Firefox on a PC and I get this error when I hit the search button, after typing in a keyword to search.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/gwforums/public_html/search.php on line 1018

Can someone please tell me what this is and who I could contact on forum admin to submit a bug report/get the problem sorted out?

It's either a bug in the VB software (not being able to handle an error correctly) or its a problem with lack of memory on the host, I'm no programmer but I'm guessing its simply struggling to search a very large database. When you consider small databases can be very large, without attachments. Big forums could be massive. Now each search has to go through thousands of lines of text in that database, storing in memory to speed things up. If too many try search at once I would think it could kill the server.

Do what Mawgleah suggests, try refine your search, it takes pressure off it and will mean better chance of success.

You can also search the forum via google, its a bit more cumbersome but it does work.

Reverend Loki
21-03-2006, 17:17
Do what Mawgleah suggests, try refine your search, it takes pressure off it and will mean better chance of success.

Unfortunately, you have to do more than refine your search. I direct you to this thread here (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=381883) where discussion is made on this topic, ad includes a legthy post by myself testing the problem. It seems that the search function chokes not only if the overall results are too great, but if the number of matches for any individual term is too great. So, pick your search terms carefully...

Also, since you mention that you use Firefox, one user here on the forums made a search mod for Firefox for this forum - see more in this thread on it here (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=383158&). Adds an option to search the forums from the search box.

BTW, I found both of the above threads using the "Advanced Search" functions on this forum. It works, just be careful with it.

flexiboy
27-03-2006, 18:02
i was just about to make a post on this but i found this :P I searched ss sv necro (which i have before with only two thread results) and this time i get the error: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/gwforums/public_html/search.php on line 1018

I dont understand how there are too many results when only two threads come up as an answer, anyine shed any light on this?

Flex

Reverend Loki
27-03-2006, 18:27
i was just about to make a post on this but i found this :P I searched ss sv necro (which i have before with only two thread results) and this time i get the error: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/gwforums/public_html/search.php on line 1018

I dont understand how there are too many results when only two threads come up as an answer, anyine shed any light on this?

Flex

In addition to finding the thread, I also suggest you read it. In the post right above yours, I point out several things, including a thread where we try and figure out where the error is coming from (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=381883). Go on, it's only 5 posts, it's not a long thread at all. That should shed some light on it.

Oh, and I've also included links to those threads in my sig now, as well, just for the hell of it.

flexiboy
28-03-2006, 16:18
Sorry i must of missed the post above mine

Xycury
28-03-2006, 16:43
Someone should then get those two Search Issues and Sticky them somewhere.

Often times i try to search and fail. There is alot of useful information, just buried deep within the pages.

a full function search would probably help those impatient ones that post up a new thread about the same topic a couple days ago :P

Thanks to Mawgleah and Reverend Loki for their valuable tips!!!

Reverend Loki
28-03-2006, 18:20
Sorry i must of missed the post above mine
No prob, sometimes we all get into too much of a hurry when making a post :)

Xycury - You're welcome, glad to be of service!