PDA

View Full Version : Gods of Assassins and Ritualists

Ranger Nietzsche
27-03-2006, 08:54
interesting note...I forgot screenies but the statues of Lyssa nad grenth had a blessign called

Lyssa's Assassin
Grenth's Ritualist

no new gods...just old ones for new prof.

RilderView
27-03-2006, 09:19
There are gonna be new gods though, I asked about it while Gaile Was Hangin in the FPE and she said thered be new Gods and Enemies.

So i think the Assassin and Rit get there own gods, I dont expect them to be "Elementalist" type followers

teh Monkeys
27-03-2006, 14:20
Assassin will probably follow Balthazar (You know, assassins kill a lot) and Lyssa (I'd count shadowstepping as more or less an illusion)

As for Rits.. probably just Grenth, to summon the spirits.

ShadowSword
27-03-2006, 16:34
Look at the Deadly Arts of an assasin...definitely very Lyssa/Ilusion like. I don't think they'd worship Balthazar, I doubt he approves of sneaky killing, he's more the honour and glory type. They may have an element of Grenth worship though.

Ritualists and Grenth sounds unlikely though I suspect they have ties to Melandru, like their spirit summoning friends, Surely Ritualists are mostly spirit summoning, something I doubt Grenth is too happy about. They may have links to Dwayna thanks to the healign powers.

I'm sure we'll learn more.

Scutilla
27-03-2006, 16:52
I'm pretty sure that Gaile said that there will be new gods for the Assassins and Ritualists. The lack of new god statues makes me unsure of this though.

The Experimentor
27-03-2006, 17:33
I wonder how ANet is gonna fit them in with the established pantheon, eg. Dwayna, Balthazar, Lyssa, Grenth & Melandru. It'd be funny if it was a retroactive thing.

Quintus Antonius
27-03-2006, 18:14
I'd like to point out that there are several other Old Gods that just aren't dominant. We find out about them in the Underworld, among other places. So, it isn't that unusual that they may surface to be one of the new gods of one of the new professions, or there may be a completely new god we just haven't heard about. How many people heard of Buddism in the west before trade with China? So, I don't think it is that hard to believe in another few unknown members in the established pantheon.

As for not seeing the statues, remember, it was only a beta weekend, and there is still roughly 30 to 60% of the continent we haven't had a chance to see yet. You never know. The cultures of the Luxons, Canthans, and Kurzicks vary so much that it may be completely likely that there are gods unknown to one culture, or at least, not worshipped, that have major roles in one of the other cultures.

teh Monkeys
27-03-2006, 20:33
How many people heard of Buddism in the west before trade with China? So, I don't think it is that hard to believe in another few unknown members in the established pantheon.

Yes, but Cantha has been trading with Tyria for centuries. You'd think atleast some trace of any new gods would have gotten it's way into Tyria.

Quintus Antonius
27-03-2006, 21:57
Yes, but Cantha has been trading with Tyria for centuries. You'd think atleast some trace of any new gods would have gotten it's way into Tyria.

That's a good point, I failed to take into consideration. Still, we have gods in the current pantheon that currently represent no one, also, think of the Unseen Ones, while they were actually dieties, they were the gods of a new religion. It may be that something similar occurs in Factions, but I think it is more likely one of the lesser known gods of the pantheon will just step up. Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to seeing how it is implemented.

Ranger Nietzsche
27-03-2006, 23:46
well the problem is in GW we take the gods existance for granted...they do apply real visible benefits to us after all, while IRL the assumption is hardly true.

so comparisons between teh two would be difficult...

the point i was making is that for BWE a t least... *** = Lyssa and Rit = Grenth

Zaxares
28-03-2006, 01:46
I think the assassins will worship either Lyssa (patron of deceit, illusion and misdirection) or Grenth (patron of death) depending upon whether they focus on Shadow Arts or Deadly Arts. It's possible a few assassins may even venerate Balthazar if they fight using only Dagger Mastery.

Ritualists most likely worship Grenth, possibly Dwayna if they are focused upon restoration magic. They deal primarily with spirits from the Underworld, and we all know who rules the Underworld. :wink: I highly doubt that the Ritualists would worship Melandru. Rangers strive to live in harmony with nature and its spirits; the Ritualist seeks to dominate and control these spirits, hardly a harmonious or peaceful goal.

jciardha
28-03-2006, 01:48
If you needed a screenshot, here ya go:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/jciardha/lyssa.jpg

I didn't bother to try any of them, as I didn't have the gold at the time, so no clue what the effects are.

Barinthus
28-03-2006, 02:44
If you move the mouse pointer over those icons, there would be a description of what it does.

I believe Favor is morale increase (2%)
Memser of Lyssa is +1 to your memser attributes (time limit or none I am not sure)
Same as for Assassin of Lyssa but +1 to your assassin attributes.

Lazarus Dio
28-03-2006, 19:41
Interesting screenie! Never saw that in the bwe. Then again, there was alot i missed.

Aladar
28-03-2006, 22:00
Interesting screenie! Never saw that in the bwe. Then again, there was alot i missed.

Yeah, if you were to type /kneel in front of a ressurection shrine with a statue of a god, then the avatar of the diety would appear and grant you some form of buff for a certain price.

I was thinking... would it then not be possible to get a level 20 cast of a skill for elementalists?
12 + headgear (+1) + superior rune (+3) + statue addon (+1) + Glyph of Elemental Power (+2) + 20% chance to have +1 on your spell focus item = 20 attribute points

Think of the damage you could do with an ele!

Serena Corvidae
28-03-2006, 22:19
The Guild Wars website has been updated, it appears that both assassins and ritualists have an allegiance to Grenth:

The Assassins of Cantha pay homage to Grenth, and rarely take on a job unless a priest of Grenth places a blessing upon the task. Ritualists, who speak to and control the darker forces of the underworld, also draw strength from Grenth's teachings.

See the full update to the Old Gods page here. (http://eu.guildwars.com/theworld/article/the_old_gods/)

Aladar
28-03-2006, 22:23
The Guild Wars website has been updated, it appears that both assassins and ritualists have an allegiance to Grenth:

The Assassins of Cantha pay homage to Grenth, and rarely take on a job unless a priest of Grenth places a blessing upon the task. Ritualists, who speak to and control the darker forces of the underworld, also draw strength from Grenth's teachings.

See the full update to the Old Gods page here. (http://eu.guildwars.com/theworld/article/the_old_gods/)

Read on through the article - Assassins also worship Lyssa.

Lord Melvin
28-03-2006, 22:23
If you're interested, I just posted all the new shrine effects here (http://forums.gwonline.net/showpost.php?p=3992424&postcount=23)

Ranger Nietzsche
29-03-2006, 03:12
interesting that they mention canthans believe melandru has abandonded them
but that rangers are smart :P

Aladar
29-03-2006, 11:13
interesting that they mention canthans believe melandru has abandonded them
but that rangers are smart :P

Obviously that doesn't pertain to all of Cantha. The House Lutgardis still worships Melandru fervently; they have erected a statue to her outside their outpost.

Barinthus
30-03-2006, 04:15
Was this belief before or after assassination? If after, perhaps they felt that Melandru could have prevented the transformation of everything into Jade but did not.