PDA

View Full Version : Are Assassin Primaries good platforms for mage builds?

The Experimentor
27-03-2006, 10:45
Can you use an Assassin Primary to make a solid mage build?

Think about it:
1. Critical Strikes - Maybe not as good or reliable as Energy Storage or even Soul Reaping, but it means you do a bit more damage with your basic attack (not just daggers, but any weapon like staff or wand) than most other mages, and you get Energy when you do.
2. Mage-level Energy - Assassins get a nice, full, four pips of Regen. When it comes to basic Energy requirements, we're on the level of Elems, Monks, Mesmers & Necros. And Ritualists.
3. Ranger-Level Armor -Yet, we're slightly better off than real mages in the rough-and-tumble of a fight.

It's easy to understand why ANet did all that. Two-handed weapons (Daggers) for the class means a lot lost in terms of defense (shields) or Energy management (focii). But on the flipside, we almost have a mage who's tougher than most mages.

Anyway, can we build around/with this? :wink:

For example, my idea, still very rough:

The Shadow Mage

Critical Strikes 10 + ?
Shadow Arts 10 + ?
Air Magic 11

Conjure Lightning
Critical Eye
Critical Defenses
Sharpen Daggers
Shadow Refuge
Resurrection Signet
?
?

? - Air Magic spike spells, Heart of Shadow, Shadow Form, Shadow of Haste, Shadowy Burden, Viper's Defense, Way of Perfection, Way of the Fox

Bo Staff for Air Elems :wink: (Since we've got an Assassin/mage, might as well give him/her a cool Eastern martial-arts styled staff.)

The idea for this build is of a mage whose primary source of damage is basic ranged attacks buffed up by the Critical Strikes attribute and its skills, Conjure Lightning, with a few extra offensive tricks from Air Magic. Defense is from Shadow Arts.

Thus, you've got a guy who blasts from afar, then disappears (random teleport) and/or heals when you strike. Hopefully annoying and effective.

No doubt, we can mix the Assassin mage with other secondary professions for other effects- but do you guys think it'll be worth it? Will it work? Discuss. :cool:

Nanashi
27-03-2006, 10:59
I would think you would want a ele/sin... your attacks should be higher... critical strikes is nice but it's not a passive thus you can boost it up if you have an assassin as your secondary.

The Experimentor
27-03-2006, 11:40
I would think you would want a ele/sin... your attacks should be higher... critical strikes is nice but it's not a passive thus you can boost it up if you have an assassin as your secondary.
? :huh: ?

Um, Critical Strikes is passive, affecting all your attacks.

And you can only get it if you're an Assassin primary. It's the Assassin's primary attribute.

You might be thinking of Strength.

Sluggy
27-03-2006, 11:41
I messed around with an A/ME most of the weekend.

He ran jagged strike/wild strike/critical strike
crippling anguish
expunge enchantments
sig of malice
phantom pain
res sig.

Full dagger mastery and split the rest between illusion/critical strikes + a few in to deadly arts. He had enough energy to cast crippling anguish/phantom pain and then after a few hits was back up in the 10 energy range with the guaranteed crits from the dual attack to follow. The idea was to either A: soften a target with bleeding/hex degen/deep wound before going to whack him, or B: slow down a melee target and then going to whack on someone else. This version obviously has its weaknesses(completely reliant on others for healing and energy is crunched if you're not hitting any crits), but I am definitely going to be working on tweaking when he's available again =]

Calis
27-03-2006, 12:20

And you can only get it if you're an Assassin primary. It's the Assassin's primary attribute.

Critical Strikes, you still have to be there physically beating on the enemy to get ANY benefit from it, as opposed to casting a spell at them.

Nanashi
27-03-2006, 12:25

Really? I thought Deadly Arts was the passive. Alright scratch that then, assassin primary would be better. But like said above, you need physical damage and not magic based for CS to take affect.

The Experimentor
27-03-2006, 12:39
Really? It's only for physical damage? :huh:

I really wish GWO would update their Attribute descriptions for the Assassin. Besides this, the +2% chance of double attacking per Dagger Mastery is also missing.

Input
04-04-2006, 08:11
ele/sin sounds more reasonable. if you want to get a really strong ele, other than having good skills, then have a sin as a secondary proffession.

[ just my opinion ]

Longasc
04-04-2006, 12:19
I would prefer the Elementalist/Assassin:

Energy Storage gives you the needed energy for spells and you do not lose that much armor, especially if you take in account the new Elementalist Armors in Factions.

You would like to have Recall and Death Charge.

The strategy would be to load up on AoE and to teleport in, dish out, and teleport out of aggro circle. Disclaimer: All my builds are usually thought for PvE only.

So how about this:

16 Fire, 11-13 Energy storage, rest in shadow arts.

* Death Charge - get close
* Flameburst (5 sec recharge, can be boosted additionally with fast recharge items!)
* Inferno
* Flameburst
* cancel Recall and return to an ally that has to stand far away, so that you do not drag aggro with you.

127+142+127 = 396 Fire Damage

Just a quick build:

Elementalist/Assassin
Level: 20

Energy Storage: 13 (12+1)
Fire Magic: 16 (12+4)
Shadow Arts: 3

- Flame Burst (Fire Magic)
All nearby foes are struck for 127 fire damage.
Energy:15 Cast:0.75 Recharge:5

- Inferno (Fire Magic)
All adjacent foes are struck for 142 fire damage.
Energy:10 Cast:0.75 Recharge:20

- Rodgort's Invocation (Fire Magic)
You invoke the power of Rodgort at target foe's location. All foes in that area are struck for 127 fire damage and are set on fire for 3 seconds.
Energy:25 Cast:3 Recharge:15

- Meteor Shower (Fire Magic)
Create a Meteor Shower at target foe's location. For 9 seconds, foes adjacent to that location are struck for 119 fire damage and knocked down every 3 seconds. This Spell causes Exhaustion.
Energy:25 Cast:5 Recharge:60

- Recall (Assassin None)
While you maintain Recall on target ally, nothing happens. When Recall ends, you Shadow Step to that ally's location.
Energy:15 Cast:2 Recharge:10

- Death's Charge (Shadow Arts)
Shadow Step to target foe. If that foe has more Health than you, you are healed for 58.
Energy:5 Cast:1 Recharge:45

- Fire Attunement (Fire Magic)
For 61 seconds, you are attuned to Fire. You gain 30% of the Energy cost of the Spell each time you use Fire Magic.
Energy:10 Cast:2 Recharge:60

- Elemental Attunement [Elite] (Elementalist other)
For 45 seconds, you are attuned to air, fire, water, and earth. You gain 50% of the Energy cost of the Spell each time you use magic associated with any of these elements.

Think of Air Spells like Whirlwind and Tenai's Wind, who knock down enemies, this could be interesting, too.

Aladar
06-04-2006, 06:06
I would prefer the Elementalist/Assassin:

Energy Storage gives you the needed energy for spells and you do not lose that much armor, especially if you take in account the new Elementalist Armors in Factions.

You would like to have Recall and Death Charge.

The strategy would be to load up on AoE and to teleport in, dish out, and teleport out of aggro circle. Disclaimer: All my builds are usually thought for PvE only.

So how about this:

16 Fire, 11-13 Energy storage, rest in shadow arts.

* Death Charge - get close
* Flameburst (5 sec recharge, can be boosted additionally with fast recharge items!)
* Inferno
* Flameburst
* cancel Recall and return to an ally that has to stand far away, so that you do not drag aggro with you.

127+142+127 = 396 Fire Damage

Just a quick build:

Elementalist/Assassin
Level: 20

Energy Storage: 13 (12+1)
Fire Magic: 16 (12+4)
Shadow Arts: 3

- Flame Burst (Fire Magic)
All nearby foes are struck for 127 fire damage.
Energy:15 Cast:0.75 Recharge:5

- Inferno (Fire Magic)
All adjacent foes are struck for 142 fire damage.
Energy:10 Cast:0.75 Recharge:20

- Rodgort's Invocation (Fire Magic)
You invoke the power of Rodgort at target foe's location. All foes in that area are struck for 127 fire damage and are set on fire for 3 seconds.
Energy:25 Cast:3 Recharge:15

- Meteor Shower (Fire Magic)
Create a Meteor Shower at target foe's location. For 9 seconds, foes adjacent to that location are struck for 119 fire damage and knocked down every 3 seconds. This Spell causes Exhaustion.
Energy:25 Cast:5 Recharge:60

- Recall (Assassin None)
While you maintain Recall on target ally, nothing happens. When Recall ends, you Shadow Step to that ally's location.
Energy:15 Cast:2 Recharge:10

- Death's Charge (Shadow Arts)
Shadow Step to target foe. If that foe has more Health than you, you are healed for 58.
Energy:5 Cast:1 Recharge:45

- Fire Attunement (Fire Magic)
For 61 seconds, you are attuned to Fire. You gain 30% of the Energy cost of the Spell each time you use Fire Magic.

- Elemental Attunement [Elite] (Elementalist other)
For 45 seconds, you are attuned to air, fire, water, and earth. You gain 50% of the Energy cost of the Spell each time you use magic associated with any of these elements.

Think of Air Spells like Whirlwind and Tenai's Wind, who knock down enemies, this could be interesting, too.

That looks almost exactly like the E/A premade PvP build.

MaximumSquid
06-04-2006, 06:20
I just don't know about assassin's promise.

Energy elites are always very useful, but with a potential for failure it's going to end up being feast or famine.

With decent defense or even a sly hex removal toss in somewhere it's going to end up just being famine =/