PDA

View Full Version : What? No Assassin Runner builds yet?

The Experimentor
28-03-2006, 05:08
After the big sneak peek we got at the tweaked skills for the 'sin...

... Well? :rolleyes:

Okay, it's not like there were any real runners around during the BWE, but for all people who think the Assassin skills lines would be good for running even before the BWE, I was thinking we've got enough fuel for the fire. :grin:

One little change that surprised me (and still surprises me) was the revision of skills like Dark Escape and Shadow Refuge from 50% blocking to half damage reduction. With that, the former is an obvious choice for running- you move faster and take less damage all at once. The latter is also good for defensive purposes- and being an Enchantment, you can put a Stance or another Enchantment on top of it.

I also realized that the teleport skills should be great as well. Cornered or blocked by monsters you were trying to avoid? Poof! You're gone and away. Heart of Shadow heals you as well.

If you don't mind a little extra work to ensure your run, turn on Shadow of Haste then pull a group away from your running route. When they're a suitable distance away, teleport and continue your run.

While chasing you, you also have dirty Assassin tricks to keep them at bay. Sprinkle some Caltrops on the ground then turn on your speed Stance. Eat my dust, monsters!

So, what? No Assassin runner builds yet? :wink:

tarutaru
28-03-2006, 06:55
Actually, during the last preview event over a month ago many assassin running builds were created. Here's the best one imo:

E/A
Recall
Ether Prodigy
Heart of Shadow
Viper's Defense
Dash
Armor of Mist
Shadow Refuge

But, then again, this would only be useful *maybe* in pve. Gvg this would be useless. Most players know by now anyway that devoting a whole character to running that flag is highly inefficient. One or two skills at the most, and even then it is a low priority.

The Experimentor
28-03-2006, 06:59
Whoops. :undecided: I meant "running" as in "LFR to Drok's forge".

Nanashi
28-03-2006, 08:33
The only run skill assassins have that is worth a run skill is Dash. Which makes you run 50% faster for 3 seconds. Other wise they are defensive based and require ranger secondary for run skills.

lumimantteli
28-03-2006, 10:23
The only run skill assassins have that is worth a run skill is Dash. Which makes you run 50% faster for 3 seconds. Other wise they are defensive based and require ranger secondary for run skills.

Nanashi speaks the truth.

Either A/R with wilderness survival skills to run.

or

The better way: R/A with Expertise running skills and some teleports and assassin tricks from the Assassin.

Xunlai Agent
28-03-2006, 10:44
I still don't think that the Assassin is better than than the Ranger/Warrior or Warrior/X at running but maybe I can be convinced otherwise...

Nanashi
28-03-2006, 12:03
I still don't think that the Assassin is better than than the Ranger/Warrior or Warrior/X at running but maybe I can be convinced otherwise...

While I hate to say it, assassins being the new champs at the top of my favorites list, I have to agree. They can be a good runner... but they would have to rely more on a ranger secondary to pull it off. Thus makeing it pointless to make an assassin primary just for running people from place to place.

Bobross
28-03-2006, 22:56
While I hate to say it, assassins being the new champs at the top of my favorites list, I have to agree. They can be a good runner... but they would have to rely more on a ranger secondary to pull it off. Thus makeing it pointless to make an assassin primary just for running people from place to place.

So we've got dark escape,25% speed buff lasting about 15 secs, 30 sec recharge, and halves damage.
Dash for another 5 seconds and a massive 50% boost to speed,
Siphon speed, which slows and buffs your speed and should stack with the stances (haven't tested yet, but it should). it also lasts fairly long and can be cast on 2 guys at once...not sure if this would stack the buff to you. If it did we're talking 40% boost to speed before stances... That would give you one ridiculous dash.

It would also allow you to have a continous speed boost, with an occasional massive speed boost.

Shadow Form, which if used carefully can save your butt and get you past a tough group.
Shadow refuge, damage mitigation + good self heal
Heart of Shadow, self heal and random TP
And then loads of teleportation which as stated before could be used to divert a group of mobs out of your way, making a run easier... you could also port to a mob that's far ahead and alone using deaths charge or dark prison, so that you get away from the ones that are near you, and then keep running from the slowed mob.

Seems like almost all the ingredients you need for a good running build. Only thing left is good condition and hex removal...which you could rely on another class for. or rely on ports like Aura of displacement for. A sort of get out of jail free card, if you cast it in a reasonably safe place between runs. (still won't get you past a group of 20 guys casting maelstrom...but at least we could lure them somewhere and get around them as an assassin).

Rangers are great runners as is, but the teleportation gives assassins a whole new set of options and flexibility that rangers never had. If you combine the classes, we've got a big improvement, so let's not discount the Assassin, because there's no obvious use. Not only are there a variety of good tools available to them, but they make the run into a much more complex and fun experience...if you're just out for money, that may require too much thought and planning to be worth it...but if you, like me are playing this game for fun, well then why not try it?

-Emile

The Hazard
29-03-2006, 23:20
i cant remember the name but the elite shadow step would be perfect. you cast it, lure a group away, and then shadow step back. you could continue this process for as long as you need. 1 problem would be enchantment strippers. if they stripped it off, you would be stuck. Other than that skill though just combine it with some defense/speed skills from either a warrior, ranger, or even and ele or monk.

Master Divine
01-04-2006, 05:14
I was thinking about that but it is true they dont have enough "direct" running skills all though assasins are all about inderctness and slyness it would help that inderct side if they put more direct running skills that went extremily fast like dash but had a bit longer lasting time. However they would still rely hevely on their second class :(

The Hazard
01-04-2006, 22:19
well yeah, even if you had the assassin as a secondary. There are really only a handful of decent assassin running skills. But that handful can be extremely useful in runs. Particularly because runs may get harder. Naturally, anet doesn't like runners. It may require a bit more skill and tactics to complete a run.

Shadow Assassin
01-04-2006, 23:47
I think the Ranger is more equiped for running, as far as the 'sin goes the main use is to deal large amounts of damage and go to the next target the running abilities merely allow them to get there in a pinch not so much as to evade... thats what shadow step is for

Bobross
02-04-2006, 07:24
I think the Ranger is more equiped for running, as far as the 'sin goes the main use is to deal large amounts of damage and go to the next target the running abilities merely allow them to get there in a pinch not so much as to evade... thats what shadow step is for

I still don't get it...you've got 2 run stances giving a total of 20 seconds of running / 30 seconds. Granted it's not as good as a ranger can do...but that's before we include the hexes, which should stack. with the stances. Also multiple self heals, and the best self heal isn't a HoT like troll unguent but it only takes 1 sec to cast and prevents damage for 4 seconds. So I still don't see what's not to love...

Kjentei
02-04-2006, 11:30
Elementalist/Assassin - Energy Storage, Water Magic, Shadow Arts.

Recall (only 10 second recharge)
Ether Prodigy*/Glyph of Energy*
Heart of Shadow
Viper's Defense
Gale
Dash
Shadow Refuge
Armor of Mist
Resurrection Signet.

This was posted on this thread: http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=386477
... a while back, (it's on the 5th page) and was made before the "major after-tournament skill update". It is flexible though, and can be changed.