PDA

View Full Version : "Lich ritualist" ?

Viti Ligo
30-03-2006, 06:25
I have been thinking a secondary for my uppcoming ritualist since the preview event started... I tried every one out during the event and could not make a decision, partly because of limited skill options... Yesterday I was thinkig necromancer as a possible secondary and got this combination in my mind;

Aura of the Lich ( death magic ):
For 15...39 seconds, your maximum Health is halved, but you take half damage from all sources. When Aura of the Lich ends, you're healed for 50...202 Health. This is an elite skill.

Shelter ( Communing ):
Binding Ritual. Create a Level 1...8 Spirit. Allies within its range cannot lose more than 10% maximum Health from a single attack. When this Spirit prevents damage, it loses 60...36 Health. This spirit lasts 30...54 seconds.

Union ( Communing ):
Binding Ritual. Create a level 1...7 Spirit. Whenever an ally in its range takes damage, that damage is reduced by 15 and the Spirit takes 15 damage. This Spirit dies after 30-54 seconds.

So ... would that work in this way... Aura of the lich first halves my max health, then shelter caps damge to 10 % of that , aura of the lich halves this and Union reduces the result by 15 ... what would be the outcome ? Zero damge ? Or something very small damage anyway... And after that we have 5 slots open for everything else...

SO anybody has idea should that work that way or not ?

Satinka
30-03-2006, 06:42
I theory this works, but i think that the time of invincibility is very limited, because spirits work for the whole group and they lose life when their effect triggers. Some rains of fire or volleys of arrows and they are gone.

Viti Ligo
30-03-2006, 06:52
I theory this works, but i think that the time of invincibility is very limited, because spirits work for the whole group and they lose life when their effect triggers. Some rains of fire or volleys of arrows and they are gone.

Well that's true... let's add there one skill more

Spirit Boon Strike ( Channeling Magic ):
Spell. Target foe is struck for 10-82 lightning damage, and all spirits near you gain 10-82 Health.

We got some more time for nvincibility... with high Spawning power we get some more if we can spread attrib points more widely ( that means we have to spent to Communing,Channeling,Spawning Power AND Death Magic which is awfully many attributes :( )

Satinka
30-03-2006, 08:19
If you use Signet of Creation your spirits gain +5..6 regeneration. It only lasts 30 seconds, but Aura of the Lich needs to be recasted after a while too.
I would recommend to put as many points into Communing as possible. They lose less life when they trigger and gain a higher level (more life). Death Magic around 7-9 and the rest into Spawning.

Gordon Michael
30-03-2006, 08:47
If you use Signet of Creation your spirits gain +5..6 regeneration. It only lasts 30 seconds, but Aura of the Lich needs to be recasted after a while too.
I would recommend to put as many points into Communing as possible. They lose less life when they trigger and gain a higher level (more life). Death Magic around 7-9 and the rest into Spawning.

Careful with that one though. It zaps all spirits and minions in the area at the end of the 30 seconds, so you'll need to make sure there's no minion masters or spirit ritualists on the team, otherwise they'll hate you almost as much as a stealth 55 monk.

Viti Ligo
30-03-2006, 09:13
There might one usefull way to increase spirits lifetime, let's put Vital Weapon in the build :

Vital Weapon ( communing ):
Weapon Spell. For 30 seconds, target ally has a Vital Weapon and has +40...168 maximum Health.

that is for shelter spirit who's taking most damage... and can be on other party member's too if needed.

Satinka
30-03-2006, 09:15
Yes I know that it destroys everything. I was looking for a way to increase the window of time you will be "invincible" with the mentioned combo, not for a way to make your whole team a party of gods.

Edit: And yes, you are right with the 55monks in parties, I hate them too. Maybe this Combo should be used in a Solo build, like the 55monk.

Gangrel
30-03-2006, 11:13
Well that's true... let's add there one skill more

Spirit Boon Strike ( Channeling Magic ):
Spell. Target foe is struck for 10-82 lightning damage, and all spirits near you gain 10-82 Health.

We got some more time for nvincibility... with high Spawning power we get some more if we can spread attrib points more widely ( that means we have to spent to Communing,Channeling,Spawning Power AND Death Magic which is awfully many attributes :( )

I've tried that spell during the event. The recharge is just awfull.. You can heal the spirits once, and it's good enough for about 5 more seconds of the spirits life in a big fight..

Viti Ligo
30-03-2006, 13:00
It seems that keeping your spirits alive will be the major problem with any build using them as there are so many counters to spiris, at least every nuker and mesmers can wipe them out with ease :(

But in the otherhand .. being immune to damage for just few secs can make a big difference... and with aura of the lich you still have damage ( as well as your health ) halved without spirits and healed afterwards... so maybe this is worth trying anyway ?

Xunlai Agent
30-03-2006, 13:05
"Hello Degen, didn't see you there! Pity I'm dead on the floor because I forgot that Aura of the Lich and degen don't mix" :sad:

Viti Ligo
30-03-2006, 13:26
"Hello Degen, didn't see you there! Pity I'm dead on the floor because I forgot that Aura of the Lich and degen don't mix" :sad:

I didn't forget degen... it's simply is that every build has counters :( This is made with melee opponents in my mind... going to put a whole build here if I can manage to find one out.

Viti Ligo
30-03-2006, 13:40
Got a raw set up: I have had not time to count energy / time issues:

Boon of creation
Shelter
Aura of the lich
Union
Death Nova
Spirit Boon Strike
* free * ( bloodsong ? Ancestors rage ? Spirit Burn)
* free *

Well it's quite straight forward : Boon Of Creation is used to energy / health management, Shelter + Union + Aura of the lich for protection and death nova for the time when spirits die... someone must pay when messing with my spirits :laugh: ... everything else for direct damge dealing / or healing depending on the needs...

MrRock
30-03-2006, 16:05
This is already on the second page and I doubt anyone will even look at it.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this combination of spells?.. First of all, aura of the lich will only work on yourself, so trying to do anything with keeping your spirits alive longer will not work.

Second of all, shelter and union are quite weak spirits in my opinion. I approximate their life times to last 10 seconds at most. Then you have a 60 second wait to cast then and another 6 second cast in between them. You would probably be better served to use protective spirit as it will last much longer.

Finally, the order of the spells work really should matter. If aura or shelter goes first, the result will be the same, you taking 1/20th of your hp in damage then reduced by 15.

The protective spirits are awful at best. The offensive spirits are mediocre at best.

Artemis Shadowhawk
30-03-2006, 16:24
Got a raw set up: I have had not time to count energy / time issues:

Boon of creation
Shelter
Aura of the lich
Union
Death Nova
Spirit Boon Strike
* free * ( bloodsong ? Ancestors rage ? Spirit Burn)
* free *

Well it's quite straight forward : Boon Of Creation is used to energy / health management, Shelter + Union + Aura of the lich for protection and death nova for the time when spirits die... someone must pay when messing with my spirits :laugh: ... everything else for direct damge dealing / or healing depending on the needs...Well theres a few immediate problems I can see with that. Spirit Boon Strike has a horribly long recharge and wouldnt be worth it IMO. After that you're relying on two enchantments which are getting stripped more and more frequently in any farming environment. Death Nova can't be used on spirits because its an enchantment.

It's a good idea, but I just don't think it would work out. The spirits have such a short life span that you'd only be invincible for only a short period of time until you have to deal with the degen negatives of Aura of the Lich. If you want to play a defensive character that uses Union and Shelter I'd reccomend just taking Ritual Lord and Signet of Creation. Sure you won't be able to maintain the spirits constantly, but you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

And if you want to play an Invinci Solo Farmer, I'd reccomend strongly reevaluating your current concept as I don't think spirits such as Union and Shelter will find much use in solo-farming.

The protective spirits are awful at best. The offensive spirits are mediocre at best.I disagree. I'm sure you've seen my comments on an offensive build. And as long as you boon your defensive spirits with high spawning, Signet of Creation and Ritual Lord, you'll be able to maintain a pretty regular spirit-base. Or if you want to work with only one spirit, you can Soul Twist it to constantly replenish it after 10 seconds. And if you can get Union to prevent close to 400 damage every 10 seconds, that's good enough for me.

Viti Ligo
31-03-2006, 06:15
Well the point in here is: as a ritualist you probably use shelter + union anyway - so is using Aura Of The LIch worth using instead of the obvious selection of Ritual lord ? With Aura of The lich you cannot spam spirits like crazy and take a risk with halving your max health ( and dmg ) but got some time immunity to the physical dmg... in short that's the very point in this combo... what comes to usage... as you cannot really spam these spirits you use it seems that the party should be small so if its any good it's might for small PVe groups ?

Using spirits in PvP will require an intense spirit spamming as far as I can see as there is so many ways to destroy those spirits so their lifecycle will be short - very short and Ritual lord is the only way to handle that. I would consider a Rt/R combination for Pvp perhaps...

Erasculio
31-03-2006, 22:53
I think it would be nice to have Restoration with you, by the reasons Xunlai mentioned - health degeneration/regeneration is improved while under Aura of the Lich. Meaning, the common +2 regeneration that Restoration gives would not only last a long while (as the spirit doesn't take damage to keep that effect on), but it would also help you more than any team mate.

Also, I would work on the Vengeful spells - they steal life, and all the health gained on this way would heal you, while you take only half damage.

Erasculio

Artemis Shadowhawk
01-04-2006, 00:25
Well the point in here is: as a ritualist you probably use shelter + union anyway - so is using Aura Of The LIch worth using instead of the obvious selection of Ritual lord ? With Aura of The lich you cannot spam spirits like crazy and take a risk with halving your max health ( and dmg ) but got some time immunity to the physical dmg... in short that's the very point in this combo... what comes to usage... as you cannot really spam these spirits you use it seems that the party should be small so if its any good it's might for small PVe groups ? IMO, it's not worth it. I'd much rather take any other elite. Ritualist or other classes.

I think it would be nice to have Restoration with you, by the reasons Xunlai mentioned - health degeneration/regeneration is improved while under Aura of the Lich. Meaning, the common +2 regeneration that Restoration gives would not only last a long while (as the spirit doesn't take damage to keep that effect on), but it would also help you more than any team mate.

Also, I would work on the Vengeful spells - they steal life, and all the health gained on this way would heal you, while you take only half damage.

ErasculioRestoration is a revival spell. Recuperation is what you're thinking of.

fire magic wins
10-04-2006, 08:32
So ... would that work in this way... Aura of the lich first halves my max health, then shelter caps damge to 10 % of that , aura of the lich halves this and Union reduces the result by 15 ... what would be the outcome ? Zero damge ? Or something very small damage anyway... And after that we have 5 slots open for everything else...

SO anybody has idea should that work that way or not ?[/QUOTE]

you wont get less dmg thnx to that -15, you still get 10% of your max hp because that spell effect comes after the one with dmg -15,
if you dont believe me and stil think you get 0 dmg , you can try :wink:

Viri
10-04-2006, 13:04
Umm why not prot spirit and shielding hands ? Its the same effect but faster cast time and warriors cant bash enchantments.

Tessalina
10-04-2006, 19:07
Another thing worth mentioning, if you bring Vital Weapon along with you it can help compensate for health lost due to Aura of the Lich. Lets say you have 480 health. Combined with Vital Weapon and 12 communing, that means you would only lose roughly 100 max health during the time you were using Lich.

480-240+148.