PDA

View Full Version : A Suggestion - Thread Labelling

Barinthus
31-03-2006, 03:00
I was thinking earlier today and I'd like to make a suggestion to the moderator and to the rest of you good people.

Some of us don't want to read spoilers and the Lore forum is definitely a bad place to visit if you don't want spoilers.

However with Factions coming out, I'm sure many of you would love to continue discussing Prophecies but want to avoid spoilers for Factions until you've completed the storyline or whatever.

So the way I see it is we have three options:

A. Ask posters to please open their thread title with GW:P or GW:F (or something similar) so readers will know whether if that thread contains possible spoilers for Prophecies or Factions.

B. Create two sub-threads - one for Prophecies and one for Factions

C. Leave things as they are and if you accidently read a spoiler thread you didn't want to read - you're SOL then.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Quintus Antonius
31-03-2006, 13:18
I was thinking earlier today and I'd like to make a suggestion to the moderator and to the rest of you good people.

Some of us don't want to read spoilers and the Lore forum is definitely a bad place to visit if you don't want spoilers.

However with Factions coming out, I'm sure many of you would love to continue discussing Prophecies but want to avoid spoilers for Factions until you've completed the storyline or whatever.

So the way I see it is we have three options:

A. Ask posters to please open their thread title with GW:P or GW:F (or something similar) so readers will know whether if that thread contains possible spoilers for Prophecies or Factions.

B. Create two sub-threads - one for Prophecies and one for Factions

C. Leave things as they are and if you accidently read a spoiler thread you didn't want to read - you're SOL then.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

I agree with your basic premise. Once Factions is seriously underway (e.g. after main release), two subforums may become a necessity. I'd support that.

As for spoilers, I still hold that mindset that a Lore Forum will have spoilers by its very nature, and that is a risk you agree to take when reading it. Personally, I grow tired of seeing " ****SPOILER***** " in front of topics, but I would not be opposed to someone pointing that in their opening paragraph or post to warn against that. Also, we may be able to work out a system using the thread icons below. The trianglular icon with a ! in it could be used next to topics that contain spoilers, sort of like an iconic warning.

nkuvu
31-03-2006, 16:37
I like option A. That is, label the type of spoilers we should expect from a thread.

I know most of the storyline in Prophecies, even though I haven't finished the game. Much of what I know I learned by reading spoilers (unintentionally, argh). But I don't want to spoil anything in Factions if I can avoid it.

I like discussing Prophecies lore, but I'll avoid Factions lore until I know the story. Knowing which threads are which would help me greatly. If this isn't adopted I'll have to just avoid any Lore threads on the off chance that Factions is discussed.

Barinthus
02-04-2006, 10:19
Same here, nkuvu.

It'll be very difficult for me although. The Lore forum is so addictive!

Mularc Templare
12-04-2006, 12:31
I'd happily agree with option A...I think it would be a good idea.

However, until release, I dont think it will be necessary...maybe a mod can make a sticky thread indicating ways to label threads - basically a copy of Barinthus' post.

Really good idea, think it will be help immesurably.

Mularc

jvxmtg
12-04-2006, 16:15
I like option A with the thread icon mentioned by Quintus.

Quintus Antonius
12-04-2006, 17:06
I'd happily agree with option A...I think it would be a good idea.

However, until release, I dont think it will be necessary...maybe a mod can make a sticky thread indicating ways to label threads - basically a copy of Barinthus' post.

Really good idea, think it will be help immesurably.

Mularc

The problem is, the only mod for the Lore Forum is Eratimus, and he hasn't been around lately. So, we are sorta stuck until he either comes back, or another user is promoted to mod for the forum. I've been helping Eratimus with reports when necessary, but it is a limited function, and the Lore Forum has become rather popular. So sticking topics, closing topics, and moving/merging topics is something that is hard to impliment at the current time. We just have to make do for now.

Mularc Templare
27-04-2006, 08:55
Usuing your new powers as a mod Quintus, could you please sticky this thread? With Factions going live today, and as I myself am locked from the game for at least another week (Australian Collectors Issues....-_-) I dont want to have any of the Lore spoiled due to someone rushing up to post findings - I am not saying dont post them, by any means, just "shelter" us that cannot acess the game world for the time being.

Quintus Antonius
27-04-2006, 17:13
Yes, the content of this tread is important, but rather than stickying the entire thread, I will create a new condensed version of it, and sticky that, to avoid any confusion.

Barinthus
27-04-2006, 21:38
:heart: Appreciate it, Quintus.

Quintus Antonius
28-04-2006, 02:55
:heart: Appreciate it, Quintus.

I hope that my directions for spoilers were sufficient. If there is anything else that needs added, please post it here, so I can review it and determine if it is necessary and then modify the other thread if needed.