PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing Unavoidable Hits in a Build

arredondo
11-04-2006, 22:03
Iíve been thinking of different ways to guarantee Assassin hits as much as possible, increasing the consistent DPS of a build. Hereís one idea:

===========================================
Unstoppable Assassin

Critical Strikes: 13
Dagger Mastery:13
Shadow Arts:11

Critical Eye: +6% Crit chance, +1E per hit
Shadowy Burden: -25% speed debuff, -20AL for 9s
Palm Strike: 50 damaging skill offhand (doesnít nead Lead)
Way of the Fox: Enchant guarantees 5 hits canít be blocked/evaded
Repeating Strikes: 16 damage offhand instant recharges on hit, needs offhand starter
Twisting Fangs: 17 damage Dual Attack with Bleeding, Deep Wound for 16s
Shadow Refuge: -50% damage and a 100 heal after 4s
Way of the Lotus or Rez: +16E bonus from enchant after a Dual Attack connects

Zealous mod on daggers, max energy armor, bring +20% and +15% weapon bonuses.
===========================================

Start with Critical Eye followed by Way of the Lotus (if you take it over a rez). Regen energy a bit as you move in. Cast Shadowy Burden for a snare and a 41% damage bonus to all your attacks. Now attack with Palm Strike (unavoidable, off-hand attack skill). Follow this up with the .25 cast of Way of the Fox (if your target is protected) and your next five attacks canít be stopped.

Hit Repeating Strikes at least four timesÖ more if enemy canít block or evade to begin with. End with Twisting Fangs dual attack spike, which is free under WotF. If you brought Way of the Lotus, the enchant kicks in at this time for your bonus energy. Then use normal attacks for more energy/damage until you recharge again as they Bleed.

Like all of my theory builds, I wonít know how well it works until Factions comes out. Still, I think it holds up as a way of allowing all the attacks of the main combo to connect. I am getting plenty of criticals and double strikes, which is always nice. Together they should fuel this build nicely under Critical Eye, along with my Zealous daggers, which combine for +2E per hit. It looks like my chance at getting a Critical is 30% for +3E each... I should get at least close to a 3E discount on every Repeating Strike attempt.

Damage should be pretty high as well. I am getting a 41% increase on every hit under SB. If my normal hits average around -25 HP normally, then the full sequence under SB could be around (on a 60 AL, 500 HP foe):

Palm Strike: 105
Repeating Strikes (4): 220
Twisting Fangs: 160
Two regular hits: 70
Bleeding (2 secs): 12

TOTAL DAMAGE in 10s: 567 (approx)

Iím starting the timer for damage estimation after the first hit connects. These damage figures for each came so close to being -/+1 or -/+2 for each calculation that I just rounded them to the nearest full figure for easy readability (actual average is within three either way). Self-preservation comes through Shadow Refuge. Considering you have a snare, some healing/protection, and all hits appear guaranteed to connect if you're not Blinded or are close enough, this is not too bad of a build.

BTW, would WotF fight through Blind?

shaktiboi
11-04-2006, 22:38
I know you're keen on that -20 AL GSM bonus on Shadowy burden, but how much of that 9 seconds will be spent chasing a target who ran the minute you started casting that long 2-second skill? And then you have to wait 30 seconds to cast it again

Would you consider trading off the -20 AL bonus for a faster, constant snare with an even higher speed differential? Namely Siphon Speed. Yes, it's Deadly arts, which takes points away from Shadow Arts, but you can get the optimum 12 ranks in Dagger Mastery, 13 in Crit Strikes, and 9 Shadow/ 8 Deadly or vice-versa.

Siphon Speed has a 1 second cast time, creates a 30% speed differential, lasts 10 seconds at DA 8, and recharges in a mere 5 seconds to enable you to keep reapplying it as fast as needed.

Is a constant 30% snare worth the DPS you might lose chasing a runner who got a 2-second head start on you?

MaximumSquid
11-04-2006, 22:55
I can vouch for arredondo here. . .

I ran some test builds with Way of the Fox Spike and they are almost impossible to survive.

BTW, would WotF fight through Blind?

I believe the first version of WotF let you. The text on it read that your next attack cannot miss. That lead me make a gymmick post where I asked people what would happen if you had Illusionary weapon and WotF on when you swung at someone.

The latest version just mentions evasion and block so I'm going to say that this would not include blind bypass like Illusionary weapon.

arredondo
11-04-2006, 23:03
Heh, what can I say? A snare combined with +41% damage for every type of melee attack is just too good to pass up if its possible to fit. This is a build that combines unavoidable hits with damage. The stats would be 13,13,8,7, but taking out SB would seriously cut into one of the build's primary purposes (over 40% less damage). I can't do that for this build, but perhaps if I combined the unavoidable hit portion of this idea for a different, non-damage focused build, the suggestion would work better.

The cool thing about the skill monitor in GW is that the enemy doesn't know you're casting on him unless he's targeted you. No, it's not a fail safe method, but it is pretty easy to know whose focused on someone else other than you (they're casting or attacking elsewhere).

So iif they start running only once they notice it land on them, they'll begin to move pretty much when my aftercast is done, they'll be moving slower than me, and I'll be able to maximize my hits.

In the 9 seconds available, the most important thing for me is to get five melee skills to connect (PS, RSx4, TF). The regular hits at normal damage are bonuses if I'm quick. I'll need to recharge/gain energy anyway once I'm done for another whack at them (or someone else), so the recharge time on SB is perfect. It ends in 9s, recharges in 6s more, giving me a chance to plan my next step without waiting too long for my skills to be ready to go.

MaximumSquid
11-04-2006, 23:06
If shadowy burden doesn't work out so great i'm sure the switch to caltrops will be very painless.

I prefer caltrops over shadowy, but the -20AL is a huge bonus to damage when you are smacking up a spell caster.

It's all in what works best for you. . .

TooBadUnknown
12-04-2006, 01:18
I just want to point out that this build seems rather impossible to me even on paper. It doesn't seem possible at all with the energy constraint of an assassin.

Since you can use Critical Eye and Way of the Fox and even Way of the Lotus ahead of time, I'mma take those out of the consideration.

Shadowy Burden = 10 e
Palm Strike (E) = 10 e
Repeating Strike = 5 * 4 = 20 e
Twisting Fangs = 10 e

That brings a total use of 50 energy over a time span of less than 10 secs. or about there anyways, so I just don't understand how it's possible. Even if you only decide to pull off Shadowy Burden, Palm Strike, and 4 Repeating Strike, I think it's impossible to do.

I think you would be better off with Way of the Empty Palm (E), Golden Phoenix Strike, and Repeating Strike. And if you want to hit them without being blocked or evaded, I recommend Expose Defense since it's in the Deadly Arts Attribute along with the elite, Way of the Empty Palm.

This is just what I think would be better though since your build is only dealing direct damage, and doesn't make use of any knockdowns as many assassin players will probably utilize.

jamesmackswell
12-04-2006, 01:56
I like this build much better than the max crit and max double strike builds.

How about monk secondary for a 5-cost condition removal?

arredondo
12-04-2006, 03:02
I may not be able to fit an anti-Condition skill here, but let me know if you have a good spot for it.

I just want to point out that this build seems rather impossible to me even on paper. It doesn't seem possible at all with the energy constraint of an assassin.

Since you can use Critical Eye and Way of the Fox and even Way of the Lotus ahead of time, I'mma take those out of the consideration.

Shadowy Burden = 10 e
Palm Strike (E) = 10 e
Repeating Strike = 5 * 4 = 20 e
Twisting Fangs = 10 e

That brings a total use of 50 energy over a time span of less than 10 secs. or about there anyways, so I just don't understand how it's possible. Even if you only decide to pull off Shadowy Burden, Palm Strike, and 4 Repeating Strike, I think it's impossible to do.

I think you would be better off with Way of the Empty Palm (E), Golden Phoenix Strike, and Repeating Strike. And if you want to hit them without being blocked or evaded, I recommend Expose Defense since it's in the Deadly Arts Attribute along with the elite, Way of the Empty Palm.

This is just what I think would be better though since your build is only dealing direct damage, and doesn't make use of any knockdowns as many assassin players will probably utilize.

Fair comments, and even though it's still in "theory mode", I've already thought about this. Like you said, let's assume I am at a full 32E after Critical Eye, WotL and WotF, ok? I move to my enemy and cast the seven attack skills (8 hits with the Dual Attack) for a total of 50E spent, correct? How did I get the 18E needed to complete it? During my attack sequence, the build assumes...

+1E per hit from Zealous = +8E total
+1E from 3 pip regen = +10E total
---------------------------
= +18E guaranteed

Add 30% chance of a critical hit = +4E x (.30 x 8) = +8E total (increase with more "regular" attacks)

Now of course there is no guarantee that the Crit will come out (2.4 of 8 actually). You may get the two crit average, zero crits, or even five crits out of those eight attacks. It will EXACTLY come out smoothly if you don't get even one critical hit. If you do get, say, two crits, that'll be +8E for your next sequence right away, along with +16E from WotL, and you still get a minimum of +2E every normal spam attack (including the 30% chance of getting more criticals).

From normal attack spam, every 10s your energy gain from constantly hitting a target should be about 32E, exactly a full tank withOUT including WotL. With WotL, you only need about five hits and one critical. You'll be able to get it all to work if my math is correct here, and throwing in an occassional regular hit every now and then won't hurt either as each one gets you +2E - +6E energy. :wink:

Input
12-04-2006, 04:19
once again...

another good theory build. its not that surprising anymore haha.i can't wait to find out if your builds actually work. they will be all over the place if they end up working the way you expected.

Gangrel
12-04-2006, 08:03
Now this one I like :) And I see you took some advice from me :P I don't have too much time right now to check it myself, but If you could fit in a degen condition that would be an almost guaranted damage bust (as long as the condition hits, and isn't removed in the 10 sec).

Oh and is your mind set on pure assasin builds or may we try some secondary class skills? :P

arredondo
12-04-2006, 08:25
Nope. Believe me when I say you never crossed my mind. You completely misunderstand our approach and purpose to "computing" builds, but let's leave it at that. I'm able to shorthand here because I did all the math on the side now that I'm comfortable with the system a few of us have been refining for the last week.

Despite the shorter post, the process is the same that was used before to figure out its optimum abilities. I just didn't write it in detail on the forum. Besides, it's easier to add up the numbers when all the hits are free if I'm not disenchanted (which can happen of course, but I have two covers for WotF).

Secondary class skills often require point investment, and I like to keep my attribute lines as tight as possible. It seems CS and DM always need a lot of points in offensive attack builds, so that limits the options a bit (along with the 2-3 combo attack skill needs taking room). I'll always look to bring in something for general improvement, but I try not to force it if I can.