PDA

View Full Version : The Assassins official Nickname - Round #1 - Submit your own

Icarus Tyler
12-04-2006, 22:11
Hey there, fellow Assassins

As many of you have noticed, the term "Sin" or " 'Sin " is becoming an often used expressions for the profession of Assassins.

I actually like it, It's short, cool, and sounds kinda evil. The word itsself even is "evil". Though I think something beginning with an "A" could also do a great job. So I created this thread to see your ideas and thoughts about this issue.

If there will be enough other nominations there will be a round #2 featuring all of them.

And if that for some reason won't work I've attached a vote to see what your opinion of the "Sin" is.

Icarus Tyler

Azure Eyes
12-04-2006, 23:57
i like sin but to use the first half of assasin would be funnier. Especially with new build names that could come around. Imagine " Elite *** lfg.....invinci ***....or dark *** lfg" I think it would be humourous

scorche
13-04-2006, 00:34
Sin is definitely a good nickname, But i agree with Azure on the fact that using the first three letters instead of the last would be extremely funny.

Syes
13-04-2006, 00:59
Be honest with yourselves, sin is the only sensible option. Think about it Warriors-> War, Mesmer->mes, Assassin->.... lets just not go there okay ?

Admittedly, there is some comedy value, and no doubt the average RA inhabitant will not use sin as their label of choice, but I'm totally against the first 3 letters for one reason:

It will take about a week before somebody sucesfully uses an Assassin Iway equivalent in HA, and there's no way I'm having it referred to as A**way - that's just ain't happening. :p

Erasculio
13-04-2006, 02:25
How about just A? Or As? Sin sounds better, but the many incoming jokes about the "sinful Assassin" are going to get old.

Erasculio

nkuvu
13-04-2006, 03:06
I like calling them...

Assassins.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't need to abbreviate, I have a fully functioning keyboard. (Pet peeve, in response to the proliferation of "u" and "ur" as full words in posts. Bah.)

And yes, I generally call the Elementalists Elementalists, and Necromancers Necromancers. With varying capitalization.

Septen
13-04-2006, 03:08
Well, "As" could give something like "a s s " so yes, i'll give my preference to "Sin"

shamed
13-04-2006, 04:44
I think they should be nicknamed Calista Flockhart.

Zaxares
13-04-2006, 08:05
I'm with nkuvu on this one. Stop being so lazy and type out the whole name. :tongue:

The Experimentor
13-04-2006, 09:06
I don't mind 'sin. It's short, simple and not a mouth(or hand)-ful.

Besides, we're not really saints, are we? Even those of us with a more noble bent.

Icarus Tyler
13-04-2006, 10:09
How about Ace ?

It sounds cool, it's short, has an A and this "s"-sound.

BLAHHH
13-04-2006, 11:42
I'm with the 'let's just call them Assassins' crowd. Rangers don't get shortend, I don't see why their cousins the Assassins should either.

P.S. why doesn't anyone just say '***' like a normal person instead of blanking it out or lodging in multiple spaces? It's hardly the most offensive word in the world, grow up.
EDIT: wth it's blanked. OKay... sigh...

Azgalon
13-04-2006, 11:55
Use the three first letters as usual, Warriors = War, Mesmers = Mes etc.

Nanashi
13-04-2006, 12:00
Me being the Narutard people claim me to be, I do like the short term "Sin". The ninjas of Naruto are called "Nin"s so it makes sense. A form of rivalry even if you will.

I'm with the 'let's just call them Assassins' crowd. Rangers don't get shortend, I don't see why their cousins the Assassins should either.

In no way are they cousins. :rolleyes: Just cuz they have same armor classes in game. :grin:

But you're right. Rangers and Monks are about the only class that have no abbreviation. I mean you could say Range but that's basicly the whole name. You could maybe add Ritualists to that small clump because saying "Rit" sounds like you're calling them the cheese cracker brand. (IE: Ritz)

That being said, one thing I do like that was pointed out was the term itself "Sin" means "evil". They aren't good and it fits them so well I think, *** would be greatly overused and nobody would truely take them seriously... I take that back, that's more like a term you call them if they are in an IWAY. I can see *** WAY being a very comon term once some one finds out how to intrigrate the class with an IWAY build. I think it's very possible, the only downside would be they have no pets.

Zero
13-04-2006, 12:16
While sin does mean evil in no way are the character's by nature Evil in themselves, it's simply darker arts etc etc :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been using the term Sin for long (i.e. from Diablo2) that it's second nature to me now. However you'll also find me calling them (and this forum all the time) Sassy's (i.e. the Sassy forum) ^_^

Edit: oh and the Poll should have "other" as an option but I'm jsut being picky now lol :wink:

Nanashi
13-04-2006, 12:36
While sin does mean evil in no way are the character's by nature Evil in themselves, it's simply darker arts etc etc :rolleyes:

True enough, an ideal assassin would have little to no emotions. That way dealing dealth wouldn't affect them nor would fear in most cases; instead they inflict fear which is "evil" hehe. I guess it just depends on how you want your assassin to be viewed as... not that it will truely matter though. People will call you what they wish to call you unfortunitly. :grin:

Icarus Tyler
13-04-2006, 18:41
oh and the Poll should have "other" as an option but I'm jsut being picky now lol :wink:

In the last second I deleted the third option ("which was an "other" anyway) because of the risk that this poll would be useless. And I think the "no" has the "other" in it, since it indicates that there could be a better option (which the poster could usefully just post).

So, what do we have now:

Sin
Ace
Sassy
Assassin

Hmm, maybe there won't be that much other possibilities after all.

Evil
This isn't actually bad. I mean, Necros are evil too, but that doesn't make them less popular.

MaximumSquid
13-04-2006, 19:03
Why not just call them "Bad Dudes"

http://grandsdecemonde.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bad-dudes.jpg

Are you a bad enough dude to save the president?

fallot
13-04-2006, 20:32
Call them Assassins please. This nickname thing should be nipped in the bud :)

Longasc
13-04-2006, 21:01
Tell me how any of YOU wants to tell all the other GW players how they have to abbreviate Assassin and I will tell you my suggestion.

I.e. you cannot influence how people will abbreviate them.

They will do it in one way or another, and maybe you can make people on this forum agree on "Sin", but you can not really influence how many will follow this suggestion.

PsyBuster
14-04-2006, 02:47
How about Asn ?
:wave:

chrystianek
14-04-2006, 05:53
perfect
asn gets my vote

fallot
14-04-2006, 08:46
perfect
asn gets my vote

aZn pRid3 4 EVA!!!

For the love of god, no.

Laibeus Lord
14-04-2006, 08:59
Hey there, fellow Assassins

As many of you have noticed, the term "Sin" or " 'Sin " is becoming an often used expressions for the profession of Assassins.

I actually like it, It's short, cool, and sounds kinda evil. The word itsself even is "evil". Though I think something beginning with an "A" could also do a great job. So I created this thread to see your ideas and thoughts about this issue.

If there will be enough other nominations there will be a round #2 featuring all of them.

And if that for some reason won't work I've attached a vote to see what your opinion of the "Sin" is.

Icarus Tyler

seriously?

I don't know, I've been talking around in NA Tyria with other Faction fans and they call is ***, or ***'es not Sin or Sin's. Sin is too evil of a word. But seriously, I haven't encountered anyone referring to Assassins in-game.

Off-line they are shortnamed as Sin or Sins but in-game, written/typed name/word, they're called *** or ***'es.

Icarus Tyler
14-04-2006, 11:08
It surprises me that about half of the voters don't like the term "Sin", I expected a higher rate.

Nanashi
14-04-2006, 11:40
It surprises me that about half of the voters don't like the term "Sin", I expected a higher rate.

Ehhh I'm not a hardcore religious fan and I didn't compare sin to the extual term, "Sin". I just looked at the terms used on most Narutard fansites and thought how closely nin and sin worked together. I think it's fine. Personally I've been useing assassin but I'd be just fine with the term sin, it doesn't make a difference to me really.

Karuro
14-04-2006, 12:07
As my Assassin will probably commit alot of Sins while slaughtering innocent monsters and players, I like it.
But I think I'll still call 'em Assassins for a long time.

zapper
14-04-2006, 14:23
Somethings wrong with that poll feature anyways I tried to vote on it and said I already did. Anyways why you want to call it "SIN"? Are you the devil or have some sort of God complex in-game? I am sure it's one of those. P.S. Either way your going down.

Zero
15-04-2006, 13:47
Tell me how any of YOU wants to tell all the other GW players how they have to abbreviate Assassin and I will tell you my suggestion.

They will do it in one way or another, and maybe you can make people on this forum agree on "Sin", but you can not really influence how many will follow this suggestion.
Yes and No.

Through consistent use one can influence other's stronger than what many think. I mean it's true that you can't get everyone to conform to one name, it'll be a while imo (if at all) before people use the same term in this forum. But I'm not seeing this thread as a whole "global take-over" for a single name (not saying you are either) but more of a disucssion on what people think.

As I've said myself, I'll be using Sin and Sassy depending on the mood and context I'm in. I might even be known to use asn once in a while like I did when D2:LoD was released but that ended up with Sin from popular use ^_^

Nanashi
15-04-2006, 14:31
seriously?

I don't know, I've been talking around in NA Tyria with other Faction fans and they call is ***, or ***'es not Sin or Sin's. Sin is too evil of a word. But seriously, I haven't encountered anyone referring to Assassins in-game.

In RA I saw otherwise. There were quite a few people calling assassins Sins. To murder is a sin is it not? Reguardless if the assassin has little to no emotions on the matter, if he's just doing a job to save a family member or whatnot. To take one's life is indeed evil no matter how you look at it. Which to me, makes even more so perfect sense as to why some will enjoy the term "sin". Includeing myself.

I'm with Zero on this. What you're saying is like saying peer pressure does not exsist. While you cannot directly tell some one to refer to a particular class as a [insert term here], you can influence via commonality (if that's even a word) Take the word noob for example, I bet only a few out there used the word but it sprung out and now it's all over the world in everygame we play. Why? Because it was influencial to some, in a sense that it was so common that people used the word fluently. I wonder how many people actually cared to find out what noob ment... I know I didn't, I knew it was an insult but I am still rocky on the definition. :)

That being said, sin has been seen around a lot. So depending on your preference, if you like sort words that seem to abreviate(sp?) a particular class you may like; there's a good chance that even you who defies this word... may pick up on it.

Ahri
15-04-2006, 16:09
Let's be honest here. If you really don't want to call them Assassins, call them Ninjas. It's pretty much the same difference.

Icarus Tyler
15-04-2006, 16:49
Alright, if you like it or not, I will put up round #2 in a few days to see if any of the submitted names do better than "Sin".

So far we have:

Assassin (for those who just hate these nicknames)
Sin
Asn
Sassy
Ace
A

You still have some time to submit other propositions. I will not include "***" since it is degrading and could lead to insultations and an unconsciuos disregard towards Assassins.

Longasc
15-04-2006, 16:56
I suggest calling them Narutos.

SCNR.

Goldfish God
16-04-2006, 01:41
I'd like to call them *** (AssAssIns :laugh:), I don't like "sin" since it's the tail-end of the word (like shortening the name Joseph to Eph instead of Jo). Asn seems to be the option I prefer, maybe Asa.

petezombie
16-04-2006, 10:56
I'll start calling them *** if everyone else here is willing to start calling them *** aswell :grin: