PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting and Arrgo vote

Azure Eyes
18-04-2006, 17:45
Do you think assasin teleport skills should break an enemy's lock on you? Meaning when you are teleporting anyone targeting you loses that target and must find you again to continue the attack.

Personaly I feel it should break lock since it is more realistic plus it makes teleporting a lot more useful. For example a warrior is attacking me I cast heart of shadow and it teleports me. I'm sent to a random location and i am disorientated for a few seconds. The warrior doesnt have to do anything but run a few steps and continue attacking me since i dont know which way i need to run to get away yet.

ZEROCOOLIV
18-04-2006, 17:56
Yes it should for the simple fact that the game is set up to automatically attack your target by casting a spell or running to the target for melee. What's the point of randomly teleporting away from a war when the game will have him running directly to you.

Do you think assasin teleport skills should break an enemy's lock on you? Meaning when you are teleporting anyone targeting you loses that target and must find you again to continue the attack.

Personaly I feel it should break lock since it is more realistic plus it makes teleporting a lot more useful. For example a warrior is attacking me I cast heart of shadow and it teleports me. I'm sent to a random location and i am disorientated for a few seconds. The warrior doesnt have to do anything but run a few steps and continue attacking me since i dont know which way i need to run to get away yet.

GammaRay
18-04-2006, 18:08
It seems to make perfect sense to me. Imagine you're fighting something, and it vanishes in thin air. Unless it shows up right in front of you again, you're probably going to have to look around and get a new fix on where it went.

MaximumSquid
18-04-2006, 18:38
This is a great argument, but if you look more closely at the core game mechanics and battle system you'll see that "lose target" has no real place in GW.

Argument #1:

Can you say Radar?

People know where you are all the time anyway, how does lose target make any sense then?

Argument #2:

Being blind doesn't white out your screen like a flashbang from counter-strike.

Being dazed doesn't make your screen blurry like being drugged in perfect dark.

Why should teleport have the ability to drop target?

Argument #3:

Teleports aren't a new thing. Nobody complained about target tracking while necromancer teleports were available.

So let's say i'm wrong though, and someone did complain. . . It hasn't been changed obviously. . . and won't be changed now.

Argument #4:

Lets say they do impliment the lose target system. Someone could just call you as a target

If you lose target you just hit "T" and they are right back to pounding on you.

--------------------------

If your feeling sad after reading this just remember. . .

Try to be sad like Eeyore. . .

http://i.xanga.com/JaneHo/us%20n%20eeyore.JPG

Because Eeyore is a Total Smash with the ladies! :afro:

SuXxorz
18-04-2006, 19:55
There's a reason "Return" cripples nearby foes...

Slow your foes before u tp...

Azure Eyes
18-04-2006, 21:58
Argument #2:

Being blind doesn't white out your screen like a flashbang from counter-strike.

Being dazed doesn't make your screen blurry like being drugged in perfect dark.

Why should teleport have the ability to drop target?

Argument #3:

Teleports aren't a new thing. Nobody complained about target tracking while necromancer teleports were available.

So let's say i'm wrong though, and someone did complain. . . It hasn't been changed obviously. . . and won't be changed now.

Argument #4:

Lets say they do impliment the lose target system. Someone could just call you as a target

If you lose target you just hit "T" and they are right back to pounding on you.

! :afro:

I actually wish they would darken the screen for blind or blur it for daze but not your skill bar so you can still fight. This would give a reason to blind mages since it makes thier job harder. Also, I ve always thought necros should get the same benefit from this since it makes logical sense that you dont know where the target went. As for calling target im not bothered by that cause it still means they have to reaquire the lock and gives me that extra moment to orientate myself. Plus it could become part of the skill in taking a sin down is the constantly call him out to keep track of him.

Bobross
18-04-2006, 22:12
So if someone hits T to call you as a target, and you tP, that'd go away. and they'd have to click on you or tab through to find you again.

Makes perfect sense to me...Viper's defense is supposed to be a defense of some kind no? So what happens if you're next to a ranger who starts attacking you, you want to run away so you hit the TP...Viper's defense sends you in a random direction, but that's fine, as long as you're away enough to get a running start. But it doesn't work that way.

The ranger doesn't miss a beat and his next attack hits you anyway, meanwhile you sit there trying to get your bearings for a second, and you're probably worse off than if you hadn't tp'd at all.

Other examples are skills like shadow step, clearly built to give you a short sprint to get into attack range, unload your attacks and teleport back out, bewildering your opponents. The point of shadow step is not to make a ranger turn slightly more as he continues to track and gun you down throughout your approach and retreat, while also making it easy to get rid of you whenever people want by stripping your enchantments, or making it harder to time your attacks.

An elementalist starts casting a meteor shower on you, oh crap better teleport out of the way! Hit that tp button, and it certainly takes you away from where you were, but that spell just keeps casting and when you finally figure out where you've gotten to the meteors are already falling. Doesn't seem right to me.

I also agree that it should whipe AI aggro in a similar way. If a monster was attacking you and you teleport somewhere, it should treat you as if you had just appeared there, and maybe a bit more pissed at you than others, depending on what you were doing before. So what does that mean in game terms? Well if you charge ahead of your group and then tp back to your backlines, the rangers should not be running forward trying to find that annoying assassin. Likewise if you're assisting a warrior on a target, and it starts attacking you. Your TP should save you, by making them turn back to the warrior...unless of course you start attacking their monk, which should draw aggro to you.

These are just some of the examples of how teleportation could be a cool utility skill, and really influence people's tactical choices, which is the whole point of why they decided to put tp's in in the first place! Tactical spatial control. So why would they give us that ability, but also make it so that using it, gave us a disadvantage by making us disoriented, but no disadvantage to the enemy?

Not having the ability to whipe targets greatly reduces the utility of teleports, so that the only reason to use them is offensively and very rarely to teleport very far away from a battle...but most of the teleports are medium distance...and only help slightly to evade melee, and only melee foes...I doubt they'd devote a whole line of skills toward inconveniencing warriors.

Pimp My Platypus
19-04-2006, 23:00
I think everyone who said "No" is a warrior or not planning to play/like assasins. I think because assasin uses shadow arts and meant to be invisible and all that, you should lose the lock because after that assasin can get away without ay target lock.

Syes
19-04-2006, 23:08
Teleports are potentially incredibly powerful already. There's no need to make them more so.

Pimp My Platypus
19-04-2006, 23:14
But you say POTENTIALLY, and besides, if they do break the lock then they simply are incredibly powerful :D

Nanashi
20-04-2006, 12:53

In PVP most definetly. Infact VD really needs this since the user of VD loses his target while his target still has the user locked on. It's kind of retarded when you teleport to a random location upon hit, you're sitting there trying to figure out where you are, and low behold the dude who hit you to trigger VD is on you like white on rice. In some cases they didn't have to run, they just let the avatar follow it's target which is what most warriors did to me. There should be some form of SURPRISE!!! when useing a teleport.

That being said, PVE is/should be different. Mobs should have you targeted no matter what as long as they're within your agro bubble.

I get what you're saying Max, about the arguements against it. How the map provides better at tims to just target. Well then in that case it doesn't matter if TP unlocks or doesn't since they'll still be after you in a split second. My opinion is, it should give you some sort of advantage if you're getting rapped by an axe/hammer warrior. The problem I had was VD worked against you, yes it poisoned the foe but you were the one who lost target while that person was right on you. That just seemed retarded. Maybe I was bugged but that's what I saw and went through during PVP matches during the FPE.

Patccmoi
20-04-2006, 18:14
I think it's a great idea. It wouldn't be hard to regain the lock on target, but it could give you a split second advantage which makes sense because the guy DID vanish after all.

Chaos Cow
20-04-2006, 18:21
I think teleporting for any1 who can do it (necromancer included) should because it would make it more useful. I think they should make you feel like you actually have the condition by making the screen look different

MaximumSquid
20-04-2006, 19:08
Platypus: I play assassin and voted no. . . :sealed:

I know the pain all to well. Two warriors on me in mid swing. . .I teleport to their monk. . .1/2 second later the warrior blows land on me 50 feet away. . .I get two blows on the monk before she starts kiting me, and warriors get back on me and finsh me off =/

It makes the teleports only about half as useful, but giving anyone with /A the ability to lose target would be too powerful.

Rangers were originally intended to have stealth, but this was taken out of the game because it was impossible to balance rangers.

Some people were saddened by this news, but when I think about a trapper using stealth instead of expertise I'm pretty glad that A-net made the call to have it switched.

Nanashi: I definitly agree that VD is a broken skill.

VD should either cause a miss and poison or the teleport should be somewhat controled by the Assassin.

Maybe make it so you teleport in the direction you were moving last, and have it be random if you are standing still.

Kakashi Chan
21-04-2006, 22:21
In PVP most definetly. Infact VD really needs this since the user of VD loses his target while his target still has the user locked on. It's kind of retarded when you teleport to a random location upon hit, you're sitting there trying to figure out where you are, and low behold the dude who hit you to trigger VD is on you like white on rice. In some cases they didn't have to run, they just let the avatar follow it's target which is what most warriors did to me. There should be some form of SURPRISE!!! when useing a teleport.

That being said, PVE is/should be different. Mobs should have you targeted no matter what as long as they're within your agro bubble.

I get what you're saying Max, about the arguements against it. How the map provides better at tims to just target. Well then in that case it doesn't matter if TP unlocks or doesn't since they'll still be after you in a split second. My opinion is, it should give you some sort of advantage if you're getting rapped by an axe/hammer warrior. The problem I had was VD worked against you, yes it poisoned the foe but you were the one who lost target while that person was right on you. That just seemed retarded. Maybe I was bugged but that's what I saw and went through during PVP matches during the FPE.

Agreed.
Besides Anet describe the assassin class with the word "stealth" somewhere?? I've yet to see any assassin skill that has some sort real stealth aspect rather than just a name with shadow attatched. And I've no problem with necro teleporting breaking target either.

MunroCool
22-04-2006, 06:17
I voted yes, because if someone is looking at you, then you vanish in the air, and he lose sight of you, he shouldnt be able to just look at the radar, and get back to you.

When you activate a skill that teleports you away, you should disapear for a second or two from the radar, to add a "realistic" element in this skill, as well as making those skills have a actual use instead of just covering terrain (which is only usefull against warriors or assasins, or people that go melee).

Deus Invictus
22-04-2006, 20:14
well i didn't hear you complaining when Necrotic Traversal didn't break aggro:grin:

Azure Eyes
22-04-2006, 21:10
Actually I thought it was b.s. that the nec skills didn't break aggro, would make them a lot more useful.

Shadow Assassin
22-04-2006, 21:26
did you guys see the Cinematic trailer? the assassin took the dude totaly off-guard
for you not to be able to do the same thing goes against the story

OmInOuS NeCrOsIs
23-04-2006, 02:48
since when are MMOs realistic? dragons? magic?

Azure Eyes
23-04-2006, 03:42
since when are MMOs realistic? dragons? magic?

Yes, I know it is a fanasty game. Even though there is a certain logic even when dealing with magic. Also since it is magic all the more reason the attacker should be surprised and lose sight of you.

Nanashi
23-04-2006, 13:32
did you guys see the Cinematic trailer? the assassin took the dude totaly off-guard
for you not to be able to do the same thing goes against the story

You can do that... it's called Death's Charge or one of the other ones. It's just, right now you don't lose target if the assassin performs these attacks. Most of the time during the FPE I used DC and cought people off guard as well, fun stuff when you lay down a crap load of damage before they can get enchantments up.