PDA

View Full Version : The unreliability of others...

Trisel Vermock
01-05-2006, 08:39
Tonight me and my guild attempted the Vizunah Square mission. This mission seems to be rather notorious in its difficulty. Some have beat it, some havnt. The one constant it seems in those who have beaten it is that they had a situation where both teams succeeded in their objectives.

Our experience tonight was awful. The first time there wasnt a second team. We got down to the first area to meet up with Master Togo and succeeded in defending him. All that was there were a few henchmen corpses in the end. We died in the second area because we were by ourselves. Actually, we didnt die, but Menhlo did. Idiot.

The second time we tried, the stupid gate wouldnt open. Restart.

The third through fifth times we tried we only made it down as far as the second group of Am Faa assassins that spawn, only to fail the mission because Togo died. The other goup failed. Either it was all henchies with one human, or it was just all henchies, and we all know how great henchies are at doing anything. :rolleyes:

Since a lot of our guild works during the day we dont exactly have hours upon hours to try this. So therefor we gave up after those few tries.

So why does our inability to succeed have to depend on someone else? As we've seen that dependance is costing us our progression forward with this game. If we dont line up with another successful team, we wont win, and hence we cant play the game. All because of one lousy mission.

There is a difference between being able to beat a mission based on skill, and based on random chance. This is a situation where chance is what matters; the chance that you'll end up with another team who happens to succeed. I dont like that its based on chance, and not skill.

I dont like to complain, and I hate to do it now. I really like ANet and I think they've done a superb job with this game, but as in this case it just appears to be a good idea gone horribly wrong.

Now, I really want to finish this mission, so I ask is there a way to beat it in case we find ourselves alone again? Has anyone else managed to beat it with just their team? If so, what pointers can you guys give out?

Thanks, and sorry for the complaining. :smiley:

lavenbb
01-05-2006, 08:50
I think it really depends, when I did that mission with my new ritualist I was only level 14 and was one of the early people. I was using the few skills that I managed to purchase and was using non max armor..

Well in the mission I took all henchmen (coz there was no one yet) and just went. You bet I died A LOT, and was barely keeping Togo alive. The other team however was a Well of Power spamming nec that also took all henchmen and we.. or should I say she completed the mission with Master standing..

so really, one person CAN do it :P

Trisel Vermock
01-05-2006, 08:52
I think it really depends, when I did that mission with my new ritualist I was only level 14 and was one of the early people. I was using the few skills that I managed to purchase and was using non max armor..

Well in the mission I took all henchmen (coz there was no one yet) and just went. You bet I died A LOT, and was barely keeping Togo alive. The other team however was a Well of Power spamming nec that also took all henchmen and we.. or should I say she completed the mission with Master standing..

so really, one person CAN do it :P

But you had both teams right? Our problem was that either we had no second team, or the second team always died before we could get to them. :smiley:

Tristan Chapin
01-05-2006, 08:56
On that note, success does seem to rely somewhat on the incoming Tyrian due to their use of tried-and-true pve builds and optimal elites... and to be sure, a minion master would flat out carry this mission, and you're not going to see many of those coming from the Canthan direction at this stage of the game release.

Henchmen actually do quite well in this mission, because they can completely ignore the general chaos and follow the called targets. I'd definitely advice the Canthan side to be henchman-heavy.

Rob Van Der Sloot
01-05-2006, 09:03
Now, I really want to finish this mission, so I ask is there a way to beat it in case we find ourselves alone again? Has anyone else managed to beat it with just their team? If so, what pointers can you guys give out?

I completed it rather easily with my necromancer/ranger, and a guildy, warrior/monk. The rest were only henchies. Cyclone axe and Putrid Explosion are devastating when so many foes are tight together. The henchies perform marvelous. Here is what we did:

First of all, a lot of groups keep spawning, but new groups only spawn once a previous group has been cleared. So don't clear the group, leave one foe standing and kill it later. It will make the amount of foes more manageble. Secondly if any of your healers, or the two npc's is dying (Health near 50%) rally around them so the aggro goes to you. Keeping them alive is essential after all. Also aim for ritualists and monks first.

I love this mission by the way, it's my favourite so far. I've never seen so many explosions.

Jandau
01-05-2006, 09:12
It's the same problem as when trying to unlock Team Arenas. You need to rely on random people that you didn't choose and didn't get to make any plan. They can be lvl 5 for all you know...

Sniperworm
01-05-2006, 09:28
I had the same luck as you untill a friend got to the place where the second team starts out, we got on TS and managed to henchie the mission with no real difficutly.

A good person in one team is all it takes, just keep on at it.

Tsukasa Kamiya
01-05-2006, 13:41
I didnt even realise that there wer other teams at first.

I thaught that ANET stated that we wouldnt have to PvP OR join with other teams of players if we didnt want to....

I got to this mission last night and went in with all henchies, halfway down the first ramp before we got to the assassins we died as togo had died..

I thaught oh well must have been a bug. and started again.

This time got to the point where you can see down to where togo is and saw henchies fighting the afflicted and thaught "Cool more henchman must be part of the story" then died again.

Next time i got to the second team of assassins only to die due to my henchies running off (To what i later discovered was another team)

Tried again and this time got to where togo is and found that the other player was using henchies too and we actually finnished the mission :)

But i found that my henchmen followed him instead of me:undecided:

He ran off and they all (Including his own) followed him yet when i ran none followed me, so i wasnt even in control of my own henchies:undecided:

It dissapointed me to learn that it relied on 2 Teams, as i use henchies for a reason, so if i screw up its my fault and i have no one else but myself to blame.

But when your forced to play with another team and THEY screw up when you dont want them there, then the missions becomes tiresome....

Not the start to factions i was hoping for > _ >

Can anyone confirm to me whether ALL the story missions are like that? or if it was just a "One off" experience..

Eitherway i agree that this missiongets very annoying when you died because the other team doesnt get it right....

- Tsukasa

Steep
01-05-2006, 13:50
Ive learnt if the door dont open it means Methlo and Togo aint followed meanning Methlo is stuck. You go back and kill the assassins he should become unstuck and he will open the gate for you.

My Sweet Revenga
04-05-2006, 21:22
I had heard about how notorious this mission was. Then I tried it and I had to do the defend Togo part since I was assassin. Sat in the mission lobby trying to join a team but no takers because everybody and I mean EVERYBODY was either rit or assn. So I took henchies in. I apologized to the other team and explained I had to bring henches. I dunno what they said in team chat but the one guy that replied said he understood. Well here I was expecting it to be hard but actually, the henchies held their own and nobody died when the cavalry showed up. The rest of the mission was just a slaughter. Only 1 person died once in the entire mission and that was one of my henches who was promptly rezzed right away. I dunno, the mission turned out easier than I thought it would be after hearing all the horror stories. Either that or I just lucked out and ended up with a really good tyrian team.

And to top it all off, *spoiler* at the end when everybody died, the necro's minions were still alive and pelting away at shirow and the other spirits all throughout the cutscene. I just couldn't take the story too seriously because I was laughing so hard at these all these fiends just beating away at these guys while they were taking their turns monologuing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ashberry
04-05-2006, 21:37
lmao Revenga, wish you'd recorded that haha.

I know what you guys mean though about that mission. I went through it at first with a previous character after putting it off for a while. Saw how a few people would treat the lone player with henchies and thought I'd hurry my Assassin through and find out what was going on from the other side. It really is impossible to find a balanced group in the local quarter, anyone being abusive towards players coming from there really needs to go and try it themselves. Since Factions is standalone, there's likely to be a lot of new players coming through that don't even have a proper guild yet, and the hate towards Assassins from the few core professions coming from that direction just makes it harder.

davepesc
04-05-2006, 22:43
Assumint they have fixed the bugs that prevented Mhenlo from moving (took me 3 days to beat this mission because of that) I like the idea of cooperation in the cooperative missions.

To me, it adds to the connection between the two continents and the feeling that my Tyrian character is here to come to the rescue of a foreign land. The mission requires two teams to each do their job. I don't have a problem with that.

I just wish you could communicate with the other team through "All" chat, but I don't think you can. At least no one ever answered our calls in All Chat, we just looked at the "Joe Smith has entered the game" messages and saw how many there were that weren't on our team.

Ashberry
04-05-2006, 22:50
You can chat with them in local chat. Each time I've gone in we've asked if anyone was alive over there. Then had a quick look shortly after to that area below to see who was down there.

I guess a lot of time cause of the WTS spam in local, people turn it off and keep it off, so come those missions they don't see anyone speaking.

vertigodragon
07-05-2006, 23:50
I beat this on my first try with a PUG. NO Assassins (except for me), so no one did anything stupid like aggroing and entire group, pulling it back, then dying. My group was an A/Mo, 2 Rt/Mo's, Me/N, a MM, W/Mo, and the Monk and Earth Henchie. No deaths for the entire mission.

Bucephallus
08-05-2006, 00:14
In the Unwaking Waters mission I managed it with henchmen first time, but only as an Expert, so I went to try to get Master level, still using henchmen, but unfortunately all the other teams that joined me had a human player in them and all failed miserably as they insisted on standing in amongst the corrupted spores.

Unfortunately when other players are around the henchmen become very disloyal and start following anyone who moves, and of course no-one wants to stand still to let my henchmen rez my fallen.

I will have to stay up until 4am to make sure I get only henchmen :laugh:

the true gangster
08-05-2006, 10:27
First time going for it, ti was a case of get half way throgh Am Fah-Cathan team has let Togo die-then I got it on 26 mins.
Now as Im after all masters I keep at this mission-and keep getting 25/26mins
Got a group made of 4 necros, 2 Mo/N, a R/e ad me [W/N]-other team was a w/mo-6 hench and a R/X-23 and a half minutes^^
Noone going for master in nahpui quarter-got a normal slow going team that did it just over 30mins-on friday Ill be looking for a steam roller team there [meaning 2 monks max-also Im fine as only tank and im primary damage-when going for time as long as defence is capable, damage is important]

VorianVader
08-05-2006, 11:22
By the way, I think that they have fixed the Vizunah square mission. I did it a couple of days ago on my Rit with guildies and at that time there was no human on the foreign quarter team.

So we thought that we will kill as many as we can for fun since none of us thought the henchie team would make it. Imagine our surprise when a full henchie team with an alive mhenlo in tow bursts in, unharmed and wreaking havoc!!

So to keep a long story short, we managed to finish the mission without any problems. And this time, no buggy Togo etc (that had me tearing out my hair earlier when I was doing it with my Warrior).

Ayarie
08-05-2006, 11:23
This took me a few tries to do - was in the first day of the actual release since i spent the head start getitng my helmet and dancing!

It was exceedingly buggy almsot each try both teams either player/henchies would skip the Assasin in the first part & skip the cinematic this was almost a Guranteed fail as Togo & Co would stick and thus can not move the mission forward.

Getting past this when my team suceeded the other side was a level 16 mezmer and henchies - with Local Chat on.

Say hello in Local chat in your start up time a few times and try and establish communication this is the main reason a group anywhere will fail.

secondly, Dont forget most Ritualists in that area use Flesh of My Flesh - do not leave Rits far behind defeating a monk in my group we almost did them first because the monk would be concentrating on healing etc.

An MM does work wonders and so Does EoE etc.

If your a solo player with henchies try and ensure at all costs you yourself dont die, even if you have to run right away! - your the only one who can rez your henchies!!

This isnt timed (That i can rember!) beyond protecting togo % co theres no need to charge though.

Naru Soulfire

wosjdoendieuh
15-05-2006, 05:14
I had a lot of success on my first time through with my MM on this mission. Its a lot easier when you have more things to tank and deal damage for you. First time through we got masters completion plus the minions attacking the spirits in the video is quite funny