PDA

View Full Version : Ritualist Lore?

Spoil of War
03-05-2006, 16:23
I don't know how many people own the Prima guide (I recommend it if you're into Lore even if you don't need the strategy itself) it does go into some detail about the Ritualist profession, but it still doesnt answer the nagging question I've had ever since I first saw one.

It says (so does the game manual I believe) That Rits hood their eyes to better commune with the spirit world. My question is; Why does blinding yourself help?

Serendipity
03-05-2006, 17:27
When blind, it is easier to focus on your other senses.

Like you can concentrate on what you hear, or what you smell.

(Why most people close their eyes when kissing someone ? :smiley:)

Ritualists have a 6th sense to communicate with the Other World.

Spoil of War
03-05-2006, 17:32
I close my eyes while kissing primarily because I went out with a girl in school who used to leave hers open and it kinda freaked me out cos she went all starey :D

I do take the point on how it helps the other senses, but

Ritualists have a 6th sense to communicate with the Other World.
Where did you see that information? According to the lore (If I'm interpreting it right) Rits use the spirits of their ancestors to commune with the spirit world, and since the Gods gave humans magic, they have employed that also. It just doesnt seem to explain why sight depravation aids the practice.

SylverDragon
07-05-2006, 21:01
It says (so does the game manual I believe) That Rits hood their eyes to better commune with the spirit world. My question is; Why does blinding yourself help?
Yes, the manual says the same.

Closing the eyes is a common practice in many forms of meditation (though not in all forms). It removes many of the distractions of the physical world, and so aids in focusing the mind.

In the case of Ritualists, they must have some alternative way of seeing the world, otherwise they would not hood their eyes continually, and I would imagine that having both physical and spiritual views working together would be very disorienting. The fact that they do hood their eyes continually would lead me to believe that they cannot, or prefer not to, shut off their spiritual sight.

Lightow
07-05-2006, 22:35
While we're on the subject, I know Nika, the assassin hench, has some lore behind her, but is there any lore on the Ritualist hench?

Spoil of War
07-05-2006, 22:42
The fact that they do hood their eyes continually would lead me to believe that they cannot, or prefer not to, shut off their spiritual sight.
Well obviously you can take the headwraps off, and the Rit has his/her eyes open. Interestingly they do close them whenever you do anything (Attack, use a skill etc) which would make me think it's the latter. That they can choose when to use this spiritual sight. It's the spiritual sight itself that I'm interested in. I want to know what my Rit sees.

An interesting related quote came from Professor Gai (The hench) while fighting earlier today. "Your sight is your weakness, You cannot truly see." It just intrigues me more as to what advantages it offers in comparison with normal vision.

Lightow
08-05-2006, 00:11
Look at the Japanese legends of the blind swordsmen, this might shead some insight. (sorry for the pun!)

Quintus Antonius
08-05-2006, 03:04
I believe it is because sight is simply unneccessary and only weakens their senses that they do need. Think about how a blind person can "see" the world with their other sense, which are much more advanced than a person with sight.

And yes, there is even a very popular movie series in Japan based around a blind swordmaster.

Mularc Templare
09-05-2006, 09:48
From the Guild Wars Factions Manuscripts, Page 60

Ritualists channel otherworldly energies that summon allies from the viod and employ mystic binding rituals that bend those allies to the Ritualist's will. They hood their eyes to better commune with spirits that grant great power and protection to Ritualists and their allies. The energy that...<snip>

The manuals come in handy once again :tongue:

Quintus Antonius
09-05-2006, 12:21
The manuals come in handy once again :tongue:

The issue isn't that they do it, or why they need to do it, as the Manuscripts explain, but how it works. The fact that they hood their eyes and it helps them commune is not in question.

Trust me, I never miss an opportunity to shove the Manuscripts into something, but even I couldn't find an adequete explanation for this one.

Spoil of War
09-05-2006, 17:19
Looking into it a little closer, I found an interesting discovery.

The use of sensory depravation (Including sight) to commune with spirits has also been employed in real life. Shaman use it as a means of reaching a higher state of consciousness. here's a quote from a site I found on the subject.

Physical or sensory deprivation. The shaman undergoes fasting, no sleep, and darkness. The focus of all of these is to remove the outward contemplation, turn thought inward toward another reality. The removal of the outward world provides a clear and open pathway to other realms of thought and energy. Dreaming is a very mild example of the transition achieved in these states.

I had already decided that the Ritualist was similar to Shaman in many ways which is why I Googled that particular term.

Lightow
09-05-2006, 21:00
Ahh yes, now as I recall, people who mediate often close their eyes to reach a high plane of consciousness. So this too can explain the hooded eyes of our new casters.

P.S. Sorry for any misspelling. >_<

Barinthus
10-05-2006, 01:27
It's just that scene when Luke Skywalker in his spacecraft is about to attempt to launch torpedos down this small open shaft on the Death Star. Obi-Wan Kenobi speaks to him and tell him to close his eyes in order to trust the Force more and not depending on his physical senses so much.

Quintus Antonius
10-05-2006, 03:09
It's just that scene when Luke Skywalker in his spacecraft is about to attempt to launch torpedos down this small open shaft on the Death Star. Obi-Wan Kenobi speaks to him and tell him to close his eyes in order to trust the Force more and not depending on his physical senses so much.

Random Dude: He's shut his eyes; Gai is something wrong?

Master Togo: Gai, commune with the spirits.

Shiro: I have you now!

Lukas: Woo! *aggros into mob* You're all clear Professor, show them how to draw a spirit!

It's not Star Wars, it's Guild Wars!! Haha.

Barinthus
10-05-2006, 04:10
ha ha ha that's funny!

Eladain Windshear
11-05-2006, 07:07
Interesting to note that Gai is actually blind. At least, if it's not Gai it's the other rit henchie. I'll look for the exact conversation that states that. I think it's on Shing Jea somewhere.

Lightow
11-05-2006, 07:49
Gai I think is the only rit henchie for a while.

PS- Gai Daigogi FTW!

Spoil of War
11-05-2006, 10:20
There's Aeson in Shing Jea and Chiyo on the mainland also.

jvxmtg
11-05-2006, 22:16
The Ritualist uses blindfold, or literally blind themselves, to allow themselves to focus. Just as how in racetracks where the horses are side-blinded so that they can focus straight on the tracks. Also when I play Guild Wars, I'm so focus that I lose track of time, hunger, and exhaustion sometimes. So in order for the Ritualist to focus, they need to shut one of their senses that creates the most distraction: their eyes.

Lightow
12-05-2006, 03:19
The Ritualist uses blindfold, or literally blind themselves, to allow themselves to focus. Just as how in racetracks where the horses are side-blinded so that they can focus straight on the tracks. Also when I play Guild Wars, I'm so focus that I lose track of time, hunger, and exhaustion sometimes. So in order for the Ritualist to focus, they need to shut one of their senses that creates the most distraction: their eyes.

Yeah, that reminds me of a news story about this guy in Korea... and I'll just leave it at that. :sealed:

Quintus Antonius
12-05-2006, 12:23
Let us not forget that cinematic masterpiece that is Zaitoichi the blind swordmaster of Japanese legend.

Heath Laron
01-06-2006, 14:05
The Matrix when Neo loses his sight? ;o

Think of it as... you are pouring water into a dish, which has a number of holes in the bottom. Now, if you weren't pouring much, the water would trickle out. If you closed one of those holes, the dish would fill up more, and the flow of water would be more stable and focused. Now, let's say "sight" is the largest hole in that dish. By closing just that one hole, the flow of water would be more concentrated out of the other, smaller holes.

I know what I said is a bit confusing, but by shutting off sight, which is your biggest "hole" in your concentration or focus, your mind can home in on this smaller "6th sense" (more water flows into this hole). Staves are required to channel energy, thus movement is required. Hearing would be counted as a smaller hole than sight. You would want to keep as many senses intact as you could, so you get rid of the largest. Any better?

Phoebus
01-06-2006, 18:20
Simply because Ritualist have 'normal sight' and 'true sight', when they use their 'normal sight' they are blind to their 'true sight', thus they blind themselves so they can't block off their 'true sight'.