PDA

View Full Version : Will Channeling Do Hefty Damage in the End?

schrollbach
05-05-2006, 02:11
My question is, by the time you are level 20 and face level 20+ enemies, will you still do massive damage? Or will you only do like 20 damage even though it says 102 damage, etc. I want to know because I keep remaking and remaking ritualists because I am unsure about the build, and so far I have like the channeling build. But if I find out in the end I won't be doing much damage, then there really isn't a point on continuing to play ritualist for me.

Phoebus
05-05-2006, 02:17
Enemies have alot of armor in Factions, so channeling (and elementalist) spells underperform quite a bit.

On the upside, Spirit attacks ignore armor.

schrollbach
05-05-2006, 02:23
so will spirits do more damage than channeling spells in the end?

Sclopper
05-05-2006, 03:16
Lv 20 and 24 Casters a Spirit Rift+Sprit Boon Strike or channeld strike can knock off a good amount of health(about half) Rangers you do like 68+50 and warrior you do like 40 or 30 and 20 or 30..So its good against casters like most elemental skills...i think its a good line end game...i hate everything else..

jaynatch
05-05-2006, 04:24
Wait...., you make a new ritualist every time you want to try a new build.....?

ckenni
05-05-2006, 04:59
I've been using the Channeling line ever since I started my ritualist and so far I am satisfied with her performance in PvE. Ritualists have some powerful spells like Gaze from Beyond and very good AOE spells like Spirit Rift and Ancestor's Rage.

I like comboing Spirit Rift + Spirit Burn + Gaze from Beyond, it'll do massive damage against a single monster and some additional damage due to Spirit rift's AOE. Just try different combinations you and I'm sure you'll find something you'll like

Starfury
05-05-2006, 08:21
I've almost beat the game with my pve ritualist and have tried many different channeling, communing, and restoration builds. I usually use a channelling build with henchies. To tell you the truth, most channeling spells will do quite a bit less dmg than specified in the skill after you get to the Luxon and Kurzick areas. Even those lvl 24 rot wallow necroes only take 55 dmg from a 102 dmg spirit rift. -.-

Right now, i find that most of my build uses armor ignoring dmg like gaze from beyond, lamentation, and nightmare weapon. I like to spend my energy for efficient damage.

ciprialex
05-05-2006, 10:50
in pve, chanelling line makes the ritualist look like an undepowered air ele. it's maybe a matter of taste, but i'll rather prefer less damage , but not affected by armor, than huge numbers of lighting damage which, in practice, are reduced/negated by high armor of level 20+ monsters.

BostonVaulter
05-05-2006, 13:46
Right now, i find that most of my build uses armor ignoring dmg like gaze from beyond, lamentation, and nightmare weapon. I like to spend my energy for efficient damage.

gaze from beyond does lightning damage, so it doesn't ignore armor. But it is still VERY energy efficient

schrollbach
05-05-2006, 15:07
Yes I remake characters everytime, because of secondary proffesions. I still don't know the most ideal second profession for channeling, people just tell me monk...but I feel I could have a better second profession.

And I guess I will stick to channeling since in the end it will still do more damage than spirits.

One other question: What takes the least damage from lighting damage? Warriors, Elementalists, Necros, etc?

Phoebus
05-05-2006, 15:14
You can change secondary after the second mission on the mainland.

MikesSmikes
05-05-2006, 15:23
One other question: What takes the least damage from lighting damage? Warriors, Elementalists, Necros, etc?

Rangers and Warriors, depending on what specific armor they wear.

Rangers have lower overall armor but usually get a +30 to elemental.

not sure if the mobs in factions all follow that formula, but mobs in tyra/sorrows furnance were definitely like that, if the mob was ranger he was most resistant to elemental damage, warriors just a tad below.

BostonVaulter
05-05-2006, 15:53
gaze from beyond does lightning damage, so it doesn't ignore armor. But it is still VERY energy efficient

Looks like i was wrong about this, or actually the description is wrong. This actually does straight damage, NOT lightning damage like it says. I just tested it on a jade brotherhood knight.

Lightow
05-05-2006, 22:20
Go with a necro secondary, it's very versatile. My team wants back up, I go with blood magic. They say, "No! We want offense!" I go MM or minion bombing.

'Nuff said!

lavenbb
05-05-2006, 22:32
If you're using mostly necro skills don't you think you should be a nec primary instead?

IMO if ritualists don't want to follow the footsteps of mesmers or rangers in pve, people have to come up with actual ritualist builds that work..
I see ranger got out of the damned hole with b/p, and faction's demanding environment/new skills seems to finally make people realize what a mesmer can do, but what about ritualists?

Lightow
05-05-2006, 22:48
"boon of creation" - For 15-51 seconds, whenever you create a creature, you gain 5-41 Health and 3-7 Energy.

Only primary Rits can use this skill and it owns! With this, I have no energy or health management problems what-so-ever. If i'm in dire need of energy, all I do is summon bone minions (for twice the effect). I was using it earlier and I was able to constantly summon minions and fiends. Now I just need to get Verata's Sacrifice in Cantha... (which is where? 0.0)

P.S. - FYI, with only 11-ish points in spawning you can get the same amt of energy back from what it takes to summon bone minions.

lavenbb
05-05-2006, 23:29
For each point of Soul reaping, you gain 1 energy whenever a creature near you dies. /Quote

Unstrippable, no cast time, insane range, doesn't clog skill bar, dying minions/allies/monsters/wild animals, EVERYTHING counts

in order for boon of creation to give u 7 energy you need 12 spawning, you get 12 energy for 12 soul reap, not to mention you ALWAYS gets it when you need to summon, since you summon when things are dead. need energy? press taste of death once, for a 5 energy cost you get 420 health and 7 energy net gain.

bloodstained boots: reduces casting time of spells that exploit corpses by 25%

I have a protector of tyria necro and my rit finished the canthan story on day 2, I think I know what I'm talking about =P

Btw, verata skill set is prophecy only.

Смерть
05-05-2006, 23:31
I have a Rt right now in Kurizick and Luxon territories. I have been using primarily Channeling, but have mingled it with Water and Air Magic. From my experience so far, I find it a fun combo to play. As far as damage I am a bit irritated of how much less damage the spells actually do against higher level foes.

Respectably I find the ritualist right now to be a bomber. Not really killing more than breaking up a group so your own group can handle them better. Have a bunch of foes whos life levels are just staying constant? Let a Channeler pop in with a few Spirit Rifts and Ancesteral Rage (among others) to bring the enemy group down close to half life. This is also very effective to finish groups off. I have not really had much time to specificaly make an uber build, but I believe it is possible.

Overall I find the new class refreshing.

Lightow
05-05-2006, 23:39
For each point of Soul reaping, you gain 1 energy whenever a creature near you dies. /Quote

Unstrippable, no cast time, insane range, doesn't clog skill bar, dying minions/allies/monsters/wild animals, EVERYTHING counts

in order for boon of creation to give u 7 energy you need 12 spawning, you get 12 energy for 12 soul reap, not to mention you ALWAYS gets it when you need to summon, since you summon when things are dead.

bloodstained boots: reduces casting time of spells that exploit corpses by 25%

I have a protector of tyria necro and my rit finished the canthan story on day 2, I think I know what I'm talking about =P

Btw, verata skill set is prophecy only.

(Not trying to start a flame war here)

Both have pros and cons (that I can think of)...

Soul reaping
PROS- No spell to cast, unstripable, always on, counts for everything
CONS- Only good for regen'ing energy, no skills attached to it

Spawning
PROS- Regens energy and health, plenty of different skills attached to it so it's good for many things
CONS- Need to cast, stripable, not always on, counts for anything you and only you create(?)

So in the end, it's balanced and there's a choice involved. =D

Spoil of War
06-05-2006, 00:07
Channeling is the one line of Rit skills I am unhappy with. In early levels, it kicks ***, but up against decent armor it's quickly weakened. I freely admit this could be a fault of my build, but it seems to me that a bit of extra armor penetration would do a lot of good in making it a viable skill-line.

On the subject of Rit MMing (seeing as it's been brought up) I think Necros are still king of normal MMing, but Rits have an ace card up their sleeve that I've been having a blast (Pun intended ;p ) with. Explosive Growth.

Sticking with minions as your only animate (I'll carry vamps too if I don't need a cap sig) you get massive splash damage on creation (Usually around 55-90 damage on highest AL opponents. Bear in mind this will hit each opponent twice!) then, although your minions are weaker, they have higher health so they last a little longer giving you time to load em up with Death Nova. :D

So in summary, I think Necro has the edge for actual Minion Master builds, but Rit is the way to go for Minion Bombing.

schrollbach
06-05-2006, 03:49
I still don't know what 2nd profession to choose. I have tried monk, and found no real benefits from it. I don't want to take Ranger because I will not be using spirits. Warrior in my opinion would not be good, necro sounds like a bit more to do with spirits, and assasin seems to me also illogical. What does that leave...mesmer, and elementalist. Elementalist, I would rather just make an air elementalist rather than make it as my 2nd profession, so it leaves mesmer.
I would think that mesmer would be useful for energy tap but that's all "I" can think of.

Don't flame me...I make stupid mistakes, just tell me what you guys think.

lavenbb
06-05-2006, 04:04
spawning power has better energy management skills than energy tap.. people take mesmer for mantra of resolve tho, if you don't want a secondary prof just use all rit skills, I only use rit skills myself

Ezra
06-05-2006, 06:38
I get a lot of mileage out of Painful Bond and Gaze From Beyond. They're quite cheap for the damage they can rack up if you're a spirit spammer like me.

lavenbb
06-05-2006, 06:49
I guess many people don't like painful bond + mass spirit because you will either have to get another ritualist to compliment you, or spread your attributes to 3 lines....

Spoil of War
06-05-2006, 10:42
I don't want to take Ranger because I will not be using spirits.
The only skills I use from my Ranger secondary are Troll Ungent and Serpent's Quickness. I actually have 2 Rits. The other is an Rt/N. The only time she uses her secondary skills is when I'm playing with minions. Otherwise I use a pure Rt build.

schrollbach
08-05-2006, 01:02
Okay, Now let's have some more fun.

I'm looking for armor ignoring rit spells. I know "Gaze from the Beyong" or w/e it is called is armor ignoring (but I don't think it is supposed to be and probably will be nerfed). I always do 108 damage against every enemy, so I figure it is armor ignoring, that or it's just stealing their health. Do you guys know of any other armor ignoring skills?

schrollbach
08-05-2006, 01:08
BTW Here is my build I am using.

--Don't Have energy problems (at least I don't)
--Quick damage
--Skills Charge fast

Spirit Burn, Essence Strike, Gaze from Beyond, Spirit Boon Strike, Spirit Rift, Destruction, Spirit Light, Flesh of my Flesh

OmInOuS NeCrOsIs
15-05-2006, 02:51
I have a Rt right now in Kurizick and Luxon territories. I have been using primarily Channeling, but have mingled it with Water and Air Magic. From my experience so far, I find it a fun combo to play. As far as damage I am a bit irritated of how much less damage the spells actually do against higher level foes.

Respectably I find the ritualist right now to be a bomber. Not really killing more than breaking up a group so your own group can handle them better. Have a bunch of foes whos life levels are just staying constant? Let a Channeler pop in with a few Spirit Rifts and Ancesteral Rage (among others) to bring the enemy group down close to half life. This is also very effective to finish groups off. I have not really had much time to specificaly make an uber build, but I believe it is possible.

Overall I find the new class refreshing.
you have taken what i call the weak ritualist path
Ritual Lord FTW

Tenuei
15-05-2006, 09:46
A few of the Channeling spells are pale imitations of what Necromancers and Elementalists have access to. Compare Lamentation to Putrid Explosion:

Lamentation 10e 1/4c 30r
If target foe is near any corpse or spirit, target foe takes 10...82 damage.

Putrid Explosion 10e 1c 5r
The corpse nearest your target explodes, sending out a shockwave that deals 24...101 damage to all nearby foes.

Of course, PE requires that you exploit a corpse, but it also does more damage, hits all nearby foes, and recharges in 5 seconds. Even less impressive is the elite spell, Clamor of Souls, which is inferior in every way but energy cost to the non-elite Flame Burst:

Clamor of Souls 10e 1c 12r
For each nearby ally, one nearby foe is struck for 10...94 lightning damage. The same foe cannot be struck more than once.

Flame Burst 15e 3/4c 5r
All nearby foes are struck for 15...99 fire damage.

I haven't played around with the low-end damaging spells of Channeling (Spirit Burn and Essence Strike), but the 12 and 20 second recharges on Channeled Strike, Ancestors' Rage, and Spirit Boon Strike have left me less than impressed with the lightning damage spells in this skill line.

Boqu
16-05-2006, 23:08
have a Rit/Mes lvl20. lately i found myself using more mes skills than Rit. mainly for dmg purpose.

when in a team spirits works well, shelter/union protects everyone without being noticed. the dmg that spirits do is ....*)#^%, they die really quickly. and they are always being targeted. at lvl8, they can't survive single blow of a boss.

healing.... slow. without divine boon, Rit still heals ok but i quite offten found it takes a bit long to cast a healing spell. so when my healing is cast, my ally is dead.

so, here is my idea for Rit so far. good teamplayer. but if you want to take henchies out, Rit sucks to the bone. DMG? any second profession will do better.

Testie Mctest
18-05-2006, 12:45

Rangers or Warriors in general, depending on the armour.

schrollbach
19-05-2006, 15:45
kk, give me the news.

I took 2 weeks or so from Guild Wars and I want to know what I have missed. Is there now a real famous rit build going around? Have they done any nerfing? What rit build is becoming real popular? Do monstrous claws cost less than 1k now?