PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a good use for Splinter Weapon?

Ezra
09-05-2006, 17:20
I did a search, and couldn't find any obvious threads about the uses for Splinter Weapon. It seems like a pretty underwhelming skill to me, with a longish recharge, and a slightly useless effect; it can be healed to easily or shrugged off, is what I'm saying. Sure, it fulfils a number of requirements for other spell chains (namely healing ones), but I dunno... I just don't ever seeing myself using it with great enthusiasm.

Thoughts?

lavenbb
10-05-2006, 02:03
i guess ur suppose to put it on a few people before battle, at high channeling you can prolly put it on 4-5 people before the first one wear off, then you all hit the same tightly packed people.. something like that...

zxcvbnmnbvcxz
10-05-2006, 02:13
Splinter weapon + barrage = 1-shot AOE bomb ?????

Triamn
10-05-2006, 02:16
Splinter weapon + barrage = 1-shot AOE bomb ?????
I dont think it works like that.... Only one shot gets the splinter effect. I am not at home right now to double check, but its nothing that spectacular.

elavro
10-05-2006, 16:27
so what if the ranger got rit as secondary, maybe he could cast splinter on himself, then barrage and deal extra dmg, i think that could do alot of dmg

xXBinaryXx
10-05-2006, 17:33
Doesnt using Barriage cancel all other skills (such as poison, kindle, etc)?

Avoc
10-05-2006, 17:33
I tried that, but alas... only 1 of the arrows would do the splinter effect... indeed I actually think that if it was a barrage spike team with order and splinter weapon, it could do some chaos if like 5 people used it on the same time.

Goldfish God
10-05-2006, 18:32
barrage cancels preperations, not weapons spells or enchantments.

I wonder if Whailing Weapon wouldn't be more fun for barragers

Moooooo Haha
10-05-2006, 22:11
That sounds awsome :D i'll try it now. It would be funny as the enemy couldn't cast any spells....

Lord Melvin
10-05-2006, 22:39
Wailing Weapon just interrupts attacking foes, but it would still be great for shutting down groups of warriors

Ezra
12-05-2006, 06:14
Wailing Weapon does work on each arrow in Barrage. I tested it on my Ranger to see how it would go, and I saw several enemies get interrupted at once. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long enough to be any good.

Cambeul
12-05-2006, 11:04
Barrage and Brutal Weapon would also be good, or how would the Vampiric one work I wonder? Nightmare Weapon is what I was thinking of.

Bravo
12-05-2006, 18:28
Splinter weapon is useful on a vampiric minion if the enemies are balled up as it boosts damage dealt by the minion (by now doing AoE damage) as well as the amount healed (vampiric minions heal you for the damage they inflict - they inflict quite a lot of damage using splinter weapon - this was tested by me on the isle of the nameless).

Goldfish God
12-05-2006, 20:04
Wailing Weapon does work on each arrow in Barrage. I tested it on my Ranger to see how it would go, and I saw several enemies get interrupted at once. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long enough to be any good.
There's a difference between Wailing Weapon and Splinter in that splinter triggers and ends on the first attack within a duration, while Wailing is an unconditional duration so affects all attacks in that duration.

Scrilla
01-06-2006, 20:05
There's a difference between Wailing Weapon and Splinter in that splinter triggers and ends on the first attack within a duration, while Wailing is an unconditional duration so affects all attacks in that duration.

So how would Splinter Weapon + Cyclone Axe work? Will Splinter Weapon trigger with each enemy that is struck? And what's the point of having a duration effect on Splinter Weapon if it only triggers once on the next successful attack? It would be better if it triggered for the duration of the spell.

Jarreth Tal
01-06-2006, 20:17
So how would Splinter Weapon + Cyclone Axe work? Will Splinter Weapon trigger with each enemy that is struck? And what's the point of having a duration effect on Splinter Weapon if it only triggers once on the next successful attack? It would be better if it triggered for the duration of the spell.

It would be a bit overpowered then. It would trigger with the first target attacked, but would affect all the close-by enemies, those who would presumably be affected by Cyclone Axe.

Jarreth Tal.

Bobross
01-06-2006, 21:43
only problem with splinter weapon is it does nothing to the target of the attack...so if there's no one else adjacent to the target attacked, it does nothing. Otherwise, arming 6 allies with it before a pve fight could probably have an impact...lets see 50 x 6 = 300 dmg aoe in the first salvo...you'd need a coordinated group and bunched up enemies though...

Lightow
01-06-2006, 23:49
Hey, isn't there some nec curse that causes additional dmg to a group when hit? Blood something? That would make a nice combo IMO.

Tozen
02-06-2006, 05:44
Its a prep skill for the time when your warriors are closing on their targets. Combo it with Ancestor's Rage for impressive spike damage when they reach em!

mocax
02-06-2006, 08:17
Mark of Pain?

Lightow
02-06-2006, 14:01
Mark of Pain?

Thats the one!

For 30 seconds, whenever target foe takes physical damage, Mark of Pain deals 10...34 shadow damage to adjacent foes.

So if you used this with splinter weapon, I wonder what would happen? :huh:

Also, there's order of pain

Sacrifice 17% (Max) Health. For 5 seconds, whenever a party member hits a foe with physical damage, that party member does an additional 3...13 damage.

Mwaahahaha!

lavenbb
02-06-2006, 19:27
Thats the one!

For 30 seconds, whenever target foe takes physical damage, Mark of Pain deals 10...34 shadow damage to adjacent foes.

So if you used this with splinter weapon, I wonder what would happen? :huh:

Also, there's order of pain

Sacrifice 17% (Max) Health. For 5 seconds, whenever a party member hits a foe with physical damage, that party member does an additional 3...13 damage.

Mwaahahaha!

I dont think these combos look better than splinter + barrage. The problem is still splinter only affecting one hit. I also don't think splinter damage is physical, and since the damage you would've done by your attack is reduced to 0, I dont think it'll work..

ThreeEvilsUK
13-06-2006, 14:45
only problem with splinter weapon is it does nothing to the target of the attack...so if there's no one else adjacent to the target attacked, it does nothing. Otherwise, arming 6 allies with it before a pve fight could probably have an impact...lets see 50 x 6 = 300 dmg aoe in the first salvo...you'd need a coordinated group and bunched up enemies though...

What does AOE mean?

Bobross
13-06-2006, 17:11

how is spamming a beefed up cry of frustration for 10 seconds every 30 seconds not amazing? And with serpent's quickness...more often.

Bobross
13-06-2006, 17:12
What does AOE mean?

area of effect -spells or effects that do dmg or heal in an area.

labmonkey
13-06-2006, 17:31
I'm planning my next Rit around cheap spells. Take high Chanelling and Restoration, and use Channeling attack spells and Weapon spells on myself. I could use them to boost my own attacks and also for others. Makes them versatile. For example Nightmare Weapon in my own attack chain, or to heal the tank.

Splinter+Vamp Horror sounds cool too. Also consider the power of weapon spells on a Flesh Golem! *grins at thought of a Vengeful Golem*

lavenbb
14-06-2006, 00:02
how is spamming a beefed up cry of frustration for 10 seconds every 30 seconds not amazing? And with serpent's quickness...more often.

it's not a beefed up CoF, it's a dumbed down CoF, It only stops attacking and people who are using attack skills, spell casting is not interrupted. Interruption on attacks and attack skills is a lot less effective than interrupting spells and other skills that usually cannot be reused as often and has a larger impact than attacks.

labmonkey
14-06-2006, 12:36
So? I use interrupts on attacking enemies if there aren't casters around.
the WW/Barrage combo is an area-off-effect melee/ranger shutdown. Nothing wrong with that!

Bobross
14-06-2006, 14:24
yeah I noticed that a bit after I posted...only interrupting attackers isn't that great, although with oath shot, you could have it up all the time. The reason I don't think its gerat vs attackers isn't because it wouldn't have a lot of impact, but because most people who relly on attacking also have block/evasion stances. so not perfect. Other things to consider though, it interrupts spirits attacks as well. And I haven't tested this but I noticed in pve that images of remorse would do extra damage against most monsters even if I casted it while they were casting a spell...I wonder if they're set to auto-attack mode, it counts it as "attacking" in which case this skill would be great in pve.

Ezra
15-06-2006, 01:32

Yeah I know. I was pointing out that it does work, where Splinter Weapon doesn't.

Because it's more like 2-3 shots out of that 10s. Perhaps you enjoy using it, but I'd rather sink the points in BM and have Tiger's Fury. That's more useful, to me. Savage Shot and Distracting Shot are fine as spammable interrupts.

Anyway, I still don't see it as all that great. The main benefit is to cast it on a character that doesn't actually use their weapon to attack, and just use Wielder's Boon on them. The 60-ish second life of the weapon suggests that it's meant to prep for an opening spike on a group that's clumped together.

This isn't a rant about all weapon spells being so-so, just Splinter Weapon.