PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Backstory on HENCHMEN.

JMadisonIV
19-05-2006, 08:20
any place I could look?

I wish to read about just WHO all the various Henchmen are, and what they are about. and I mean all, not just Devona, Panaku, and Mhenlo, you know?

Mularc Templare
19-05-2006, 11:43
I cant actually direct you to where you can find this info, but I can give you the only hint I know. For the Prophesies henchmen, they origionally had surnames. Head to the pages on Guildwiki and find them.

Just try plugging them into a search engine. It does take a while to find anything, but there is some interesting stuff out there.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,

Mularc

Darumoz
19-05-2006, 11:47
If you look in the Factions game booklet that comes with it, it gives a detailed description of Eve, the new Necromancer henchman, and Guild Wars cover girl for Prophicies. While this might no be what you need, it still proves interesting.

kagie
20-05-2006, 17:50
I have maybe something....
Alesia is the latin name of a city in france that now known is asAlise Sainte Reine.
This is the place where the last celtic forces fought under leadership of Vercingetorix againt Caesar.

this is maybe backstory about our healer henchmans name?

Quintus Antonius
20-05-2006, 18:37
Uh, somehow I doubt that one.

I found a website with all the backstories of the henchmen a few months ago. Try searching on Google using their first name and last name with quotations marks. It should work.

kagie
21-05-2006, 17:50
Alesia does means that city quintus(so is my history book at least.....)

The Dawn Raven
21-05-2006, 18:16
Alesia was the Gallic capital....(thank you Rome:total War)

..Aschalon was city that was sacked in the crusades. I wonder if other places are cities?

Quintus Antonius
21-05-2006, 19:12
Come on now, have a bit more faith in my abilities than that...

I know Alesia was a city, however, it was not the Gallic capital, as the Gauls had a tribe mentality and weren't united under one ruler until Veringcetorix (which incidently means High King, or King of All). So, in the sense of the Gallic Wars, I suppose it was the capital for the Gauls who united against Caesar, but not necessarily for all Gauls, as some Gallic tribes refused to acknowledge the alliance. Details, details.

It is also true Ascalon is a seaside city in Israel, although there are several different ways to spell that (Ascalon, Ashkelon, Asqalan, Ashqelon, among others).

In my post, I was not refering to the historical validity of the posters claim, he is right, I meant that I doubt that the Guild Wars character Alesia had anything to do with Earth history (in terms of her backstory as that is what this thread is discussing).

Inspired by the hilltop fort of Alesia? It's possible. Was she at the battle and subsequently named Alesia for her participation? No, and thus it is not her backstory.

Inspiration and backstory are very different...

I think, perhaps, I looked too deep into his post, I apologize.

Ranger Nietzsche
22-05-2006, 01:03
NOpe Alesia participated in that battle, Little Thom used to be Thom Thumb (note the little).

And Eve used to date a guy named Adam and ate the wrong piece of fruit. Which is why she had a mysterious past.

/sarcasm off

kagie
23-05-2006, 19:23
Come on now, have a bit more faith in my abilities than that...

I know Alesia was a city, however, it was not the Gallic capital, as the Gauls had a tribe mentality and weren't united under one ruler until Veringcetorix (which incidently means High King, or King of All). So, in the sense of the Gallic Wars, I suppose it was the capital for the Gauls who united against Caesar, but not necessarily for all Gauls, as some Gallic tribes refused to acknowledge the alliance. Details, details.

It is also true Ascalon is a seaside city in Israel, although there are several different ways to spell that (Ascalon, Ashkelon, Asqalan, Ashqelon, among others).

In my post, I was not refering to the historical validity of the posters claim, he is right, I meant that I doubt that the Guild Wars character Alesia had anything to do with Earth history (in terms of her backstory as that is what this thread is discussing).

Inspired by the hilltop fort of Alesia? It's possible. Was she at the battle and subsequently named Alesia for her participation? No, and thus it is not her backstory.

Inspiration and backstory are very different...

I think, perhaps, I looked too deep into his post, I apologize.

I'm gonna get my history teacher for getting me so imbarressed*sharpens knife*
I hate those"self-made" books
BOOH TO TEACHERS :p

Raven Flameheart
23-05-2006, 19:35
NOpe Alesia participated in that battle, Little Thom used to be Thom Thumb (note the little).

And Eve used to date a guy named Adam and ate the wrong piece of fruit. Which is why she had a mysterious past.

/sarcasm off

/smacks head

I know you were being sarcastic, but I only just got the Adam and Eve connection (the skull Eve carries around is called Adam). I can't believe I never noticed that ...

The only henchman I know the backstory of is orion, thanks to the presearing quest. Wasn't totally sure the others had them.

Quintus Antonius
23-05-2006, 20:37
I'm telling you, all the henchmen have backstories. They just aren't widely publicized. I found them on a website before the Lore Forum and topics such as this existed, and haven't been able to find it again. I'll look though.

jciardha
26-05-2006, 02:40
I just noticed this on Seaguard Eli today, and surely there's a story behind this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/jciardha/seguardeli.jpg

Notice the shield he's carrying. It's a Gothic Defender, which normally only drops in the Echovald Forest. Kurzick territory. Looted from a slain enemy, perhaps?

I haven't seen the same shield type on any other Luxon around. Things that make you go hmm ...

Communist Polar Bear
03-06-2006, 19:45
I was wondering wether or not i should post the connection between Eve and Her skull Adam, but it was posted ahead of me:sealed: . I realised this while reading thru the handbook and sighed at the cheesyness of the word play.

Just as a note for kurzick players: Eve is the better Necromancer to have in your party. Brutus is awful.

Santax
03-06-2006, 19:47
To find a backstory on ANY henchman, just double-click them to talk to them in a town or outpost.

moenbase
05-06-2006, 12:57
Perhaps we should compilate those random texts from the henchies. They seem to tell all kind of strange, and sometimes funny things. :]

LabyrinthsEnd
07-06-2006, 00:39
Indeed the talking that that the henchmen do while on missions do give some back-story and there personality (like Eves "Iím happiest when Iím alone" or something like that)

Just playing through the Factions campaign gives you a good amount of info about Mhenlo and a few Factions Henchmen, if you read all the talking that goes on and watch all the cut scenes, all the way to the end...

Also there is back story on a few in the original GW manuscript booklet (on Devona, Cynn, Aidan, and Mhenlo[which tells of him being born and raised in Serenity Temple and spending most his life there, I can't find my Factions manuscript atm so I'm not sure if it tells different, The Factions story sure does. Is that a small mess up, or am I missing something?]

moenbase
07-06-2006, 01:45
Not sure what you mean with the Factions backstory being different in Prophecies (?)

The manuscripts say about the same thing, but shorter in Factions i think.
Interesting is that there is a part about Eve in it now. But she doesn't really add a lot to the gamestory as far as I know. Or perhaps not yet.

Im also not sure if the henchies say different things in other enviroments/area's. I usually dont pay much attention to what they are actually saying in the heat of a battle. ^_^

lavenbb
07-06-2006, 03:20
I think he meant that in previous stories Mhenlo's background was that he was born to a priestess of Dwayna and a priest of Balthazar in where is believed to be the serenity temple. He was raised and influenced by the teaching of both gods. But the faction storyline says that he was a student with Jamei and Chiyo, etc at Shing Jea.. While it is still possible to say that he could've moved to the monastery after having studied with their parents, the story seemed... not strong enough maybe..

Zaxares
07-06-2006, 03:50
I think he meant that in previous stories Mhenlo's background was that he was born to a priestess of Dwayna and a priest of Balthazar in where is believed to be the serenity temple.

Other way around. His father was a priest of Dwayna, his mother was a priestess of Balthazar.

I learned a little more about Mhenlo's background last night while doing the 'Speak with the Emperor' quest in Zin Ku Corridor. Mhenlo and Togo are reminiscing on their early days together as you walk to the Emperor. It seems that the young Mhenlo was quite a brash, hot-headed boy; stubborn and willful. Mhenlo's father sent the young Mhenlo to Shing Jea Monastery in the hopes that Togo's teachings would help to settle the young man and teach him self-discipline. Mhenlo and Togo clashed quite a bit during their early days together, but Togo eventually succeeded in instilling a sense of caution and responsibility in Mhenlo. "Finding the middle ground between Dwayna and Balthazar", as Mhenlo says.

Unfortunately, this information still doesn't tell us any exact ages or dates when these events transpired.

Djinn Effer
07-06-2006, 08:02
One time I saw Eve say something like "Come, let me touch you.", which I thought was kinda odd - too bad I didn't get a screenie.

"Alesia Baptiste

Alesia was abandoned as a child, and grew up living in a monastery, where she was often teased by the other Monk-in-trainings due to her penchant for wearing clothing inspired by burlap sacks. Alesia became increasingly depressed, until the 'Grunge Rock' movement of the 1990s, the first time she felt something that she could truly connect with. Upon hearing the lyrics "I shaved my head, and i'm not sad" from Nirvana's Lithium, Alesia immediately shaved her head in the hopes of finding some solace. To the bafflement of everyone around, it worked, and Alesia has since lived a life devoted to healing others and bringing happiness in general. She still secretly rocks out when no one else is in town.

Orion Elek

Introspective to a fault, Orion has only ever been able to truly express himself through his art. Believing that his name was an indication that he was meant to be a star, Orion pursued his creative self expression relentlessly, hoping for the day when everyone would recognize him - though perhaps it was only a desperate longing to belong. Unfortunately for Orion, his 'art' involved setting small, defenseless woodland creatures on Fire. Shunned by the masses even more than previously, Orion has since taken a vow of silence, and uses his pyromaniacal tendencies for the greater good of Tyria, silently working for atonement and acceptance.

Reyna Sandor

Reyna was, and is, a frighteningly intelligent individual. But such is the case with most geniuses, Reyna developed into an extremely eccentric person. As a child, she particularly enjoyed brain teasers, and would seemingly only speak to people in riddles. Her parents, having had enough of her bizarre behavior, asked her "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around.. does it make a sound?" as a means of getting her to be quiet. Instead, Reyna left home, and headed into the woods to devise ways of answering the riddle. She gradually developed into a Ranger during her many fruitless years of experimenting in the woods. Nowadays, Reyna works as a Henchman in the hopes that someday, she will find someone that will enable her to, at long last, determine the answer to that one, single, riddle.

Stefan Baruch

Stefan was addicted to gambling since the day he was born. Regardless of the game, if there was something at stake, Stefan was there. Unfortunately for him, he also had the worst luck in existence - a considerably bad combination when you take into account his dull mind and thick head. Countless losses left him bankrupt and bitter, and Stefan turned to the bottle in search of solace. For a long time, he was little more than the drunkard sleeping in the bushes at Lion's Arch, but he has since taken on the life of a Henchman to earn enough money to pay back his debts and lead a clean life. His beer gut, however, remains as a stoic reminder of the tragic excesses of youth."-guru

Lina Esrevni..

'bout all I could find.

P.S. I have no idea if those are even remotely factual.. That's all I could find though.

EDIT: Now that I actually read them, I don't think they are factual at all. Stupid guru. :rolleyes:

Quintus Antonius
07-06-2006, 16:48
Yeah, except for Stephen, those aren't even remotely close the official stories I found on a site around the time GW was released (as I've mentioned before, I can't find it again =( ). Anyway, Stephen's is almost exactly what I found back then. It said he was a drunk from Kryta who lost a lot gambling and joined a force heading to Ascalon on a relief mission, when he got there, he sympathized with the people so strongly because, like him, they had lost everything, and he joined up with a group of mercenaries to repay his debts and try to aide Ascalon in it's struggle. That's a liberal paraphrasing. I will find a site with those backstories again.

halfthought
07-06-2006, 22:32
wait, the one about alesia, thats acomparison to real life, whilt the others are in the gw world right?

moenbase
08-06-2006, 12:31
I know I read the Stefan thing before...long time ago. Not sure about the others. Especially the Alesia one seems crap to me ^_^

I wonder where they get the info from Stefan btw. It's nowhere in the manual, and nowhere in the game itself. And it doesnt seem to be released by GW at all. Well, perhaps one of those GW strategy books?

Quintus Antonius
08-06-2006, 16:44
Keep in mind that in the early days of Guild Wars, almost nothing was found in-game. Most information was taken from the main site during the BWEs. The Lore Forum was founded because of this. Believe it or not folks, we are pretty much the forefront of lore in the game.

moenbase
08-06-2006, 17:09
Those BWE's must have been most exciting, not alone for the players, but as well for the devolopers. Too bad I wasn't there.

Anyway, are you saying that the backstorie(s) are taken from the BWE's site?

Quintus Antonius
08-06-2006, 17:21
No, I'm saying that during the BWE and for sometime after, there was precious little except what was found on official sites. In-game didn't start to really become inclusive of lore until a few months after the official public release.