PDA

View Full Version : gwonline supports gold sellers

Domino
24-05-2006, 15:15
I just lost a whole lot of respect for this site.

If you click the banner, it takes you to a site where you can buy WoW, Everquest, and Guild Wars gold.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is shamefull.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/7417/screen3ze.jpg

Samuel Barjan
24-05-2006, 15:16
Hey, something's gotta put gold on the table.

Serendipity
24-05-2006, 15:17
They are not chosing the ads they display. They get their ads from an external server, from a third parties.

When you see something like that, report it (as you did) and they will sent a formal complaint to their ad provider so that the ad will be removed.

As an elite fan site they aren't allowed to displau such banners.

Domino
24-05-2006, 15:20
They are not chosing the ads they display. They get their ads from an external server, from a third parties.

When you see something like that, report it (as you did) and they will sent a formal complaint to their ad provider so that the ad will be removed.

As an elite fan site they aren't allowed to displau such banners.

As far as I'm concerned, ignorance is no excuse. If you're an "elite fansite" you research who your advertisers are.

I wonder how A-net would feel that their "elite fansite" is advertising gold buying. I doubt they'd be pleased.

CÚrilia
24-05-2006, 15:20
As far as I'm concerned, ignorance is no excuse. If you're an "elite fansite" you research who your advertisers are.

I wonder how A-net would feel that their "elite fansite" is advertising gold buying. I doubt they'd be pleased.
As Serendipity said we don't choose the ads that are displayed here. All we can do is ask the advertiser to remove this ad.

I move this thread to the GWO Support Forum...

Serendipity
24-05-2006, 15:21

This is why when there is an illegal ad they ask their ad provider to remove it...

nohooiam
24-05-2006, 15:24
I just lost a whole lot of respect for this site.

If you click the banner, it takes you to a site where you can buy WoW, Everquest, and Guild Wars gold.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is shamefull.

you wouldn't be making this post if it wasn't for the ad, so how about buying some gold from the site?

michaeldt
24-05-2006, 15:24
All those above me said it first :) Must be slow today :)

Domino
24-05-2006, 15:30
you wouldn't be making this post if it wasn't for the ad, so how about buying some gold from the site?

Yeah, no. I prefer to earn my keep, thank you very much. Feel free to buy some yourself though, I'm sure gwonline will make lots of money with the click-throughs.

ArichValtrahn
24-05-2006, 15:31

Sounds like you may be a tad ignorant as to how these advertisers work. First off, its a new ad. That should atleast suggest that it wasnt in circulation when GWO signed up to carry their banners. So, any research they did about this carrier is irrelevant. I hope you also arent under the impression that the carrier is going to notify all of their sites whenever they add a new banner.

Domino
24-05-2006, 15:37
Sounds like you may be a tad ignorant as to how these advertisers work. First off, its a new ad. That should atleast suggest that it wasnt in circulation when GWO signed up to carry their banners. So, any research they did about this carrier is irrelevant. I hope you also arent under the impression that the carrier is going to notify all of their sites whenever they add a new banner.

I disagree. It isn't the first time I've seen inappropriate ads from gwonline. They need to switch to a more respectable advertising service.

Phaeax
24-05-2006, 15:51
I disagree. It isn't the first time I've seen inappropriate ads from gwonline. They need to switch to a more respectable advertising service. The ad service isn't comparing its new advertisements to all of the sites that it supplies; it simply puts together packages. The way we have to deal with them is to report the offensive advertisements and have them removed from circulation to us. Believe me, we at GWOnline don't want to see such ads either.

So...
Reporting the ad, especially with a screenshot = good
Being accusatory = not so much

CÚrilia
24-05-2006, 15:56
I disagree. It isn't the first time I've seen inappropriate ads from gwonline. They need to switch to a more respectable advertising service.
I'm not really in this business but I imagine that advertising services don't know if this ad is appropriate or not. After all: no nudity, no rude words, a nice little design... Why someone who doesn't know the EULA of some games (read the guy in the advertising company) should find this ad inappropriate?

So my guess is that with another advertising company you are bound to face similar problems.

Fallen_62
24-05-2006, 16:05
First, I would like to thank all those who explained their answers thoughtfully, and not jumping on the OP for the way he phrased his post(s).

Anyway, Domino, I would like to say that we do not claim ignorance with our ads, but we dont not have control over what is displayed all the time. If we see an inappropriate ad, we tell our ad agency, and they get rid of it. I want to make this perfectly clear, GWOnline.net does not support gold selling sites (IGE, for an example) at all. We are in full support of the Guild Wars EULA, and we will have this ad removed, I can assure you of that.

We have switched ad agencies several times since I have been in charge of GWO. We keep switching because the ad hosts cant keep up with the traffic that we pull in a day, which has us struggling with ads. We have tried several things, but this is what works the best, but we unfortunately dont have a lot of control over the ads that are displayed until they are displayed.

So, for now, if you see an inappropriate ad, take a screenie, post it, and then let it go. We will take care of it from there.

Ashberry
24-05-2006, 16:27
You know you can sort out ads yourself without letting an unreliable agency do it for you.

You'd make 300% as much doing that, especially if your right about having so much traffic coming to the site (I've known sites with less than half the popularity making around 50k a year from ads alone by doing it this way). Many companies would pay a great deal to get ad space on here, whats $500 to a company when all they need is to make two sales from that single ad to make a profit (using something like ATI as an example), making the ad worthwhile. Speaking from experience on this from past sites I've been involved in as reviewer/proper staff etc.

A few hundred here and there for various ad placements, some costing more than others depending on where they are on the site, it all builds up, very very quickly. Completely swallows up the cost of keeping things running, leaving a large amount for improving all manner of things, even rewarding the site staff, could even cover the cost of sending some of the staff to things like E3 and so on. And you get complete control over who you do and don't allow to advertise, so no more embarrasing mistakes like this, and a great deal of money going into the site to benefit everyone.

True its more work for the admins, but hey, within a year you can easily pay someone to do it for you :smiley:

Erasculio
24-05-2006, 19:21
"Elite fansites". The same thing happened with GWG one of these days (and for whatever reasons, a guy came to whine about that here, of all places). It has been fixed there, just as it will be here.

Erasculio

Reverend Loki
24-05-2006, 20:53
Seriously, though... they run the ads on here through a third party. They don't gain the entire revenue from each ad, but they save not only on the technical costs, but also on sales, legal, and other business related costs. The decision to use a third party agency for their ads is a business decision, and not one any of us can really make comment on the wisdom of w/o having a better idea on the operations of the site than we would otherwise have as mere forum members (yes, looking at you, Ash).

So, what should we do when we see another ad like this?

DO: Let Fallen or another Admin know via PM, or via a courteous post in the Site's Support Forum, preferably with screen grabs.
DO NOT: Accuse the Site Admins of siring Satan's progeny.
DO: Give the admins the benefit of the doubt that they will act upon this information with utmost expediency.
DO NOT: Grab a pitchfork and a torch and storm the GWO offices looking to kill the horrible monsters that GWO staff must be.
DO: Be prepared to answer any questions the admins might have about the offending ad, and provide any further info you can.
DO NOT: Immediately assume that those running the site are complete idiots with the IQ of 5 year olds and education to match, unable to match the shining example of tech expertise that you believe you possess.

I think that about covers it.

ArbainHestia
25-05-2006, 12:53
DO NOT: Grab a pitchfork and a torch and storm the GWO offices looking to kill the horrible monsters that GWO staff must be.

There goes my plans for the weekend! :cry:

milias
25-05-2006, 16:31
We keep switching because the ad hosts cant keep up with the traffic that we pull in a day, which has us struggling with ads.

Holy moly! Just how many people visit this site per day?

King Kain
25-05-2006, 16:55
DO NOT: Immediately assume that those running the site are complete idiots with the IQ of 5 year olds and education to match, unable to match the shining example of tech expertise that you believe you possess.

ROFL.. Not to mention the inherent problems arising from those who appoint themselves as the morality police.

No one likes an over achiever.

Reverend Loki
25-05-2006, 20:12
Glad you two liked it :)

BTW, admins? You can go ahead and include that list in the FAQ. Or maybe as a FOTD... :grin:

milias
25-05-2006, 21:17

Depends, do they have good drops?

:P