PDA

View Full Version : Blue Light Sconce in Mineral Springs cave

PuppyEater
05-06-2006, 05:31
From what I can tell, there isnt a psot about this in the Lore forum so here it is. Does anybody know what this is supposed to be, it seems so out of place in there. BTW its in the cave commonly used for IDS farming.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/JonThePuppyEater/gw300.jpg

Quintus Antonius
05-06-2006, 05:38
I'm familiar with this area. Although, I'm not sure what those are beyond that they look like tipped over enchanted flame beacons. Perhaps they have some purpose in relation to the statue of Lyssa there.

Arkhan The Black
05-06-2006, 05:51
It looks like a collapsed beacon.

PuppyEater
05-06-2006, 05:59
I agree it looks alot like a Dwarven beacon, but im still curious as to whats with the pulsing blue light and how it ended up inside a cave

Avoc
05-06-2006, 07:02
A tipped ove beacon, manipulated by its environments maybe? or by the cave residents?

shadowhand
05-06-2006, 07:17
They remind me of the titan portals from Hell's Precipice.

But I'm not quite sure why - maybe it's just the blue globes of light.

However, the first of the titan quests does lead you in the general direction of that cave, doesn't it?

Djinn Effer
05-06-2006, 11:16
This may just be jumping out there, but perhaps its part of something larger. Perhaps burried ruins from some ancient civilization that once lived there?

Xunlai Agent
05-06-2006, 11:21
I also wondered what this was when I spotted it during my first IDS run. Hmm I wonder...

moenbase
05-06-2006, 12:54
Yea it's most likely a beacon. They look a lot like those in the last part of the Borlis Pass mission.

The Boz
05-06-2006, 13:47
The Dwarven Statue of Liberty is burried there.

Dzierzy Mierz
05-06-2006, 14:10
these things make noise though, and the Beacons that the Dwarves have do not. However, maybe they only make noise when they are tipped over. Or it could be that it is lit with something other than fire (I know, duh, obviously). Maybe the imps used some special magic they have to fill it with a blue essence (essence of icy dragon sword?).

On a side note, why put a beacon inside a cave? I thought they used the beacons to send messages, and show who was where. Noone outside of the cave would see it.

Cyberman
05-06-2006, 14:14
If I remember right, there is also a statue of Lyssa there.
Perhaps the cave is some sort of temple.

False Visage
05-06-2006, 14:22
The torch could have subsided in geological activity at some stage. As for why it was there, maybe there used to be a town or outpost nearby at some stage?

Art
05-06-2006, 15:10
It's been a long time but I remember walking quite far into the mountains during Preseering and there was fountain like objects at more than a few places usually surrounded by Ice Golems (or whatever they were called at that stage). This might be a leftover from one of them.

-Art

Quintus Antonius
05-06-2006, 17:08
We also can't discount the fact that there is a Seer nearby.

The sound is most likely just a resonance from the pulsating energy in the becon. We know that these beacons are used for signals and that they are also enchanted. Perhaps the water "shorted out" the enchantments and the resonance we are seeing is the result.

Although, I seem to think it's more likely that there was once an outpost or temple here that just fell into disrepair.

ultimastrike
05-06-2006, 17:26
It has been proven that ancient sculpture and writing present in both the Crystal Desert and the pre-searing catacombs are identical. Assuming the shortest link between the two areas would be a straight path across the shiverpeaks, it would make sense for that ancient civilization to have created some cities in the mountains.

Quintus Antonius
05-06-2006, 17:49
Yes, and we also can't discount the ancient city that once stood at Moladune.

The Dawn Raven
05-06-2006, 19:05
Correct me if im wrong, but cant you get an alternate infusion there? Maybe Moladune was a Seer-City?

Gmr Leon
05-06-2006, 22:10
It's been a long time but I remember walking quite far into the mountains during Preseering and there was fountain like objects at more than a few places usually surrounded by Ice Golems (or whatever they were called at that stage). This might be a leftover from one of them.

-Art

Interesting,I never saw those fountains. Good thing I have a character in Pre-Searing ready to check it out.Well,actually come to think of it I may not have seen those fountains due to the fact I kept exploring the Catacombs.

Bilateralrope
05-06-2006, 23:41
Notice that its in a cave made of ice, yet there is water around the bottom. That means there is a heat source there somewhere. That could eaither be an omnidirectional heat source from the statue except the statue is sitting on a platform of ice IIRC, which should be melted (though Lyssa is the god of mesmers, so she could just be screwing with us). Or the beacons are a directional heat source.

Arkhan The Black
06-06-2006, 12:39
Maybe the Seer activated it to uncover the statue?

Quintus Antonius
06-06-2006, 15:35
That's an interesting thought Arkhan. Notice that, beyond the base, the statue is not frozen, and that the tipped over beacons point towards it. This suggests that, as Bilateralrope said, there is some sort of heat sources, possibly from those beacons.

canthanhunter
13-09-2006, 06:50
im pretty sure, its for a later, quest, the titian one, maby those are teleports

Quintus Antonius
13-09-2006, 13:46
Nah, they've been there since before the Titan quests, and the Titans aren't even up that far.

terakhan
11-12-2006, 09:02
I do find it odd that the nearest part of Ascalon (pre-searing) is Wizard's Folly, and both regions have an abundance of Ice Golems (elementals in general in Wizard's Folly's case).

The majority of elementals in both areas is focused in the sections closest to each other. There are no elementals outside the cave in Mineral Springs, and the largest concentration of WF elementals is in the SW side of it, closest to the cave. Could be coincidence, but there are no elementals as such west of the Shiverpeaks. They are all in Ascalon, in the mountains themselves, and in the Crystal Desert.

Quintus Antonius
11-12-2006, 17:44
Well, elementals are unnatural creations, so they are usually found near strong sources of magic, such as Wizard's Folly and the Crystal Desert. It's also probably not a coincidence that Mage Lords also existed in these areas at one time.

shadowhand
11-12-2006, 17:50
I still think they look a bit like the titan "gates" at Hell's Precipice.

Might be from the first titan quest?

Quintus Antonius
11-12-2006, 17:56
Nah, they've been there since before the Titan quests, and the Titans aren't even up that far.

Just going to quote myself on this one.

Zaa Nayazu
11-12-2006, 18:06
Well, elementals are unnatural creations, so they are usually found near strong sources of magic, such as Wizard's Folly and the Crystal Desert. It's also probably not a coincidence that Mage Lords also existed in these areas at one time.

Maybe the ones in Crystal Desert were created by the same guy who created the marked Minotaurs?

Quintus Antonius
11-12-2006, 18:16
Lord Kree? Well, I mean, it's possible, but there isn't much evidence to support that. Lady Sybithia was also in the Desert, and it is likely that there were other Mage Lords too. Plus, the Forgotten have shown they can animate golems (Mursaat armor), so there are alot of possibilities.

NameAlreadyInUse
11-12-2006, 19:38
My assumption had always been that these were dwarven signal beacons which had marked the pass from the Southern Shiverpeaks to Wizard's Folley.

The story I made myself in my head was they were overtaken by glacial drift, possibly very swift drift after the searing would have heated the moutanois base of the glacier enough to cause signifigant slippage. I figured the residual light was the result of the magical green flames (like those used in the Borlis Pass mission) being knocked over without being acutally extinguished properly.

I hadn't really put much thought into the thawed areas, but it could be as simle as a near surface hotspring thermal vent or hot spring. This IS the Mineral Springs after all, wouldn't it stand to reason there may be one or two hot springs in the area?

Quintus Antonius
11-12-2006, 23:16
Why wasn't the statue reclaimed by the mountain if that's the case then?

shadowhand
12-12-2006, 01:10

True, but - the boss you have to kill to stop the invasion of Droknar's Forge isn't very far from the cave.

It's not inconceivable that he and his fellow titans spread out over the entire area from that cave.

And while the blue light was indeed there before the titan quests, it might have been planned as a part of those quests. Even if they got added after the "portal" or "gate" or "lightsconce" or whatever it is.

We don't know this. But, yes - it might be a signal beacon or even a part of the Lyssa shrine. But why would anyone build a beacon inside a cave?

Is it really that far fetched a thought that it could be the gate that the titans came through?

Or - is this one of the gateways from which the Seer and it's people came?

NameAlreadyInUse
12-12-2006, 01:38

I didn't say it was a foolproof theory...:rolleyes:

But here are a couple possible explanations. Note, I'm not saying plausable, just possible.

1) The base of the statue is made of sturdier stuff. Maybe it is cut directly from the stone of the mountain where it stands. It could be that teh metalic bowls of the becons were knocked off their bases, which could still be somwhere on the mountain.

2) The divine power of Lyssa holds her statue in place against all forces natural or otherwise.

3) The becons were carried from someplace else by the glacier and ended up where we see them but the statue was always where it stands and the ice sheet is only now reaching it. Give it a decade or three and maybe it will be pushed over and start a trip south. Assuming the glacier hasn't begun retreating.

There you go, you have your pick of three possible raesons. If you don't like those, or just don't like the idea that the becons came to rest by natural means, then by all means feel free to formulate your own oppinions. If I ever claim to have a mortal lock on truth I want anyone who can find me to hit me with something heavy. As I said in my last post, this was just the story I made for myself after seeing these for the first time.

I understand your desire to get all the angles worked out here though QA, if I had half as much time invested in GW Lore as you I'd feel almost compelled to get 'fitting' reasons for just about everything I see in the game.

Me, I'm content playing with Occam's Razor from time to time.

moenbase
12-12-2006, 12:41
Perhaps the beacon was already in the cave. To make sure the cave wouldn't be covered in snow when the people/dwarves who build it come back. Or to make sure the statue of Lyssa wouldn't be covered. (?)

Still a lot of guesses. I think the Moladune one is the most plausible.

It is, however, very unlikely that the 'beacon' is some sort of portal for the Titans. Since the beacon was there (long) before the Titans.
And Titans probably take some kind of Rifts or those Mursaat Teleporters to get theirself teleported.
And even if it is used by the Titans, then why aren't there any around Lion's Arch and Ascalon City?

What do you mean by this by the way?
It's not like a mountain can claim something. o_O

Sir Jack
12-12-2006, 12:46
True, but - the boss you have to kill to stop the invasion of Droknar's Forge isn't very far from the cave.

It's not inconceivable that he and his fellow titans spread out over the entire area from that cave.

And while the blue light was indeed there before the titan quests, it might have been planned as a part of those quests. Even if they got added after the "portal" or "gate" or "lightsconce" or whatever it is.

We don't know this. But, yes - it might be a signal beacon or even a part of the Lyssa shrine. But why would anyone build a beacon inside a cave?

Is it really that far fetched a thought that it could be the gate that the titans came through?

Or - is this one of the gateways from which the Seer and it's people came?

The titans have their own portal, which is there right behind the boss when you do the quest. The beacon is not the portal of the Titans.

Quintus Antonius
12-12-2006, 16:07
1) The base of the statue is made of sturdier stuff. Maybe it is cut directly from the stone of the mountain where it stands. It could be that teh metalic bowls of the becons were knocked off their bases, which could still be somwhere on the mountain.

Glaciers cut the Grand Canyon, the Great Lakes, and other huge rock structures in the world. No statue, rock, wood, metal, or otherwise, would be able to resist a glacial flow over time like that.

However, along the idea you are proposing, it may be possible there was an earthquake or something that knocked the things over, and since the statue was anchored, it didn't fall.

Yet we have to take into account that the water around the statue and bowls not frozen, suggesting some sort of energy keeping it melted.

2) The divine power of Lyssa holds her statue in place against all forces natural or otherwise.

No and no. In Augury Rock, there are statues of Lyssa imbeded in the stone. So obviously the statues are not resistant to the forces of nature. In fact, the description for the Temple of Ages talks about statues slowly crumpling with neglect.

3) The becons were carried from someplace else by the glacier and ended up where we see them but the statue was always where it stands and the ice sheet is only now reaching it. Give it a decade or three and maybe it will be pushed over and start a trip south. Assuming the glacier hasn't begun retreating.

I don't think there is a glacier at all. Maybe there was at one time, but a glacier is a big noticable object. There is a cave here, a lake, and many trees, that's not a glacial floe, that's just an ice cave.

Perhaps it would be better to examine the name of the area "Mineral Springs", odds are it's just a hot spring, and the beacons are there to keep it lit.

I understand your desire to get all the angles worked out here though QA, if I had half as much time invested in GW Lore as you I'd feel almost compelled to get 'fitting' reasons for just about everything I see in the game.

It's also my job description.

Perhaps the beacon was already in the cave. To make sure the cave wouldn't be covered in snow when the people/dwarves who build it come back. Or to make sure the statue of Lyssa wouldn't be covered. (?)

Snow generally doesn't fall in covered caverns.

NameAlreadyInUse
12-12-2006, 16:28
Glaciers cut the Grand Canyon, the Great Lakes, and other huge rock structures in the world. No statue, rock, wood, metal, or otherwise, would be able to resist a glacial flow over time like that.

Not to nitpick, but the Grand Canyon was carved out by flowing liquid water, not glacial activity.

On other points, I stand corrected on many, and agree to disagree on others. For now I'm going with the theory that some natural force (doesn't really matter much what it was) moved the beacon and it was simple coincidence that they came to rest near the statue.

The standing liquid water can either be heated by geothermal activity or residual magic from the broken beacons.

For the record (becasue I'm stubborn, not because I'm actually trying to say I'm right) a rocky plateau complete with lake and ice cave can be considerd consistent with a glacial body in retreat. As stated, the great lakes (and all the New York finger lakes among otheres) were left behind by glacial retreat along with a lot of fresh soil and boulders, many of which I'm still picking from my back yard thousands of years after the last glacier turned around and melted its way back north.

All this talk of large ice floes is making me long for a return to Lake Louise up in Canada... hiking Victoria Glacier... Heli-ski trips in the nearby mountains... A bear trying to rip the door off our rental car... good times.