PDA

View Full Version : Canthan: Shiro's facial scars

Lun
11-06-2006, 12:26
"Dumb question" time!!

Premise: I still haven't completed the whole Factions story, so far I just reached House Zu Heltzer.

Dumb question: since the first time I saw Shiro I was wondering about his strange facial scars. Why does he have them? (Well of course, to look cool, but apart from that?)
I thought that since he's a warrior those scars come from the battles he fought, yet it's not convincing me at all: the game is filled with warriors NPC after all, so why only Shiro has all those wounds, was he so dumb as to always get hurt in battle while no one else did??

So I wonder if those facial scars perhaps have another reason...

shadow the hero
11-06-2006, 12:45
Spoiler!!:

in the Last Mission, One of his Skills is Battle Scars, That Does All his Hits Vamperic

i think his Scars is Somekind Of Ritual he has Done on Himself

Ju Smurph
11-06-2006, 14:15
His scars are just a visual symbol of how 'fierce a warrior' he is and the many battles he has been in.

Kougar
11-06-2006, 16:59
*sigh* T_T
Honestly, I've beaten the game with most of my characters, and I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere. I could have missed it, but I don't think they say. Sorry.

Donar
11-06-2006, 17:27
it's indeed not mentioned but about the battle scars skill is true

Mawgleah
11-06-2006, 17:53
I just deleted 15 posts that were nothing but spam. I've got this thread ear-marked for future reference, so should any of those members whose posts were deleted decide to trash another topic again will find themselves on permanent vacation from these forums.

Don Zardeone
11-06-2006, 18:06
the game is filled with warriors NPC after all, so why only Shiro has all those wounds, was he so dumb as to always get hurt in battle while no one else did??

Maybe he was the only one who survived those battles?

Elruid
11-06-2006, 18:16
The fact I find weird is that in the cutscenes dating back to the time with
the fortune-teller and all, he already has his scars.. and the same nasty
voice and the scruffy look. In addition he already then acts like the dastardly creature he is.

Chip
11-06-2006, 18:19
Ya back when he wasnt a bad person or hadnt fought he still had those scars.. Maybe it was a bad shaving accident?

aldarionteluvetar
11-06-2006, 18:26
I think the scars are too symmetrical for them to be the result of battle. It could be some kind of ritual thing (as has been mentioned) -- there are cultures that do similar kinds of things, inflicting scars in patterns as a status symbol.

Lun
11-06-2006, 22:35
The fact I find weird is that in the cutscenes dating back to the time with
the fortune-teller and all, he already has his scars.. and the same nasty
voice and the scruffy look. In addition he already then acts like the dastardly creature he is.

Yes, that's what I too found quite strange... but I blame it more on Anet than on Shiro, since there always have been, let's say, "imperfections" in the storytelling of Guild Wars. The first Prophecies too had some unresolved plot issues.
Surely it spoils a bit of the "tragic hero" feeling that Shiro gave me....

I think the scars are too symmetrical for them to be the result of battle. It could be some kind of ritual thing (as has been mentioned) -- there are cultures that do similar kinds of things, inflicting scars in patterns as a status symbol.

I too have been thinking about this hypothesis. But well it seems the game never says it or hints it clearly... :(

Azgalon
12-06-2006, 00:19
One would assume he had survived many a battle.

If you are more aggressive in your fightingstyle, there is always a risk for cuts.

Mawgleah
12-06-2006, 00:32
And alphabull is the winner.....of an all expense paid permanent vacation from this site for continuing to spam this thread.

AwayGlyndwr
12-06-2006, 00:52
They are probably from a battle he was in that involved some sort of magic use. I mean, some of the spells that get thrown around in Cantha and Tyria look as if they really hurt and would leave scars. My take is that he was killed in some sort of battle whilst defending the emporer and was then ressurected by some powerful monk/other healers as a reward for giving his life to save the emp. He sacrificed himself to save his master but something to do with the death or resurrection left him both physically scarred and mentally open to 'suggestions from other forces', thus turning him bad. The tragic hero story can thus be maintained.

Blitz Maiden
12-06-2006, 02:45
Well his scars may not have been explained to us, but they do lend him the air of a gritty, battle-hardened warrior. I like the voice acting for him, too. It fit in with the type of character he is meant to be. He was a really good choice for a villain, it's just too bad that the quests we were given throughout the game weren't geared for researching the plot a bit more to add more depth to his character. We wouldn't be asking these types of questions if the game itself provided the answers.

Propater
12-06-2006, 11:08
He dropped out of necro academy. :laugh:

And that is why he ended up so obsessed with the souls of dead people. All that emperor killing business was to strike back at his hated minion mastery teacher and wash the hours of humiliations when young shiro repeatedly failed to produce level 1 skeletal minions in front of the classroom.

That or a very bad case of sinus inflamation.

Cornerstone
13-06-2006, 02:08
Its from a ritual

False Visage
13-06-2006, 13:21
Aside from that, all the other envoys have a facial disfiguration (excluding the bull-head mask one, he just has a mask). So while the lore explanation would naturally be, ritualistic scars I think it's also to keep some kind of visual theme within the envoys themselves.

Iorek Valr
13-06-2006, 13:37
Yes, that's what I too found quite strange... but I blame it more on Anet than on Shiro, since there always have been, let's say, "imperfections" in the storytelling of Guild Wars. The first Prophecies too had some unresolved plot issues.
Surely it spoils a bit of the "tragic hero" feeling that Shiro gave me....

I too have been thinking about this hypothesis. But well it seems the game never says it or hints it clearly... :(

TBH the entire of Factions, taking its meant to be about Shiro, tells us very very little about him tbh...

Even the 'prequil' cutscenes we get don't tell us alot. We have a fortune teller that tells Shiro he's going to be promoted, and he does, then she tells him the Emperor is going to kill him, so its him or the Emperor...

TBH that doesn't make Shiro out to be a bad person, in fact if we are to believe that the Fortune Teller can infact see the future its the Emperor that is evil as he was going to assassinate Shiro for no reason other than being too good at his job...

It seems to me that Shiro is more a victim...

Its not like Shiro was planning to kill the Emperor at all, in fact he was honoured to become his bodyguard, and probably would have continued to be and become a great hero if the Emperor hadn't decided to have him killed...

Or the other option is that the Fortune teller couldn't see the future and was just playing with Shiro's mind... in which case, why? what possible benefit could it have? In the end it got her, Shiro, the Emperor, and all the other people caught in his death cry for no reason other than some daft old bird was having a laugh... :undecided:

Quintus Antonius
13-06-2006, 16:07
Hey mawgleah, thx for the vacation....

If you have an issue with a moderator, take it up personally with them via PM, not in a public forum.

You were banned, and I fully support Mawgleah's decision to do so.

Creating another account to circumvent that ban is also a permabannable offense. Keep making accounts, and we will keep banning them.

Alphabul, you are hereby permabanned in accordance with Rule 1, Rule 2, and Rule 9 of the GWO General Forum Rules.

shadow the hero
13-06-2006, 17:09
why the Scars Only can be from a Ritual=

some people are Saying it is From Battles, Seriously if he Had got a sword sliced Though his Face, He would be blind and You has Seen his Fighting Abilities in the Trailer, He dont let any Blade touch His Body (Of Course he gets his Death by His own Blades in the end, but They will Target for his Back/Stomach) also those Scars are Too Perfectly Cutted into his face, so Can only be Made by Someone (Many some part of his Training when he was Young?) or Himself when he was learning All those Spells/Rituals

Gnave
19-06-2006, 15:26
In Mongolian(i think) culture they 'slash' themselvs when then ar honering a fallen warrior or something to that affect. I think that the developers just added the scars as another flare of Asian culture.

whitebladethediviner
24-06-2006, 03:14
Spoiler!!:

in the Last Mission, One of his Skills is Battle Scars, That Does All his Hits Vamperic

i think his Scars is Somekind Of Ritual he has Done on Himself

Whoa self mutilation :shocked: but really if shiro did do a ritual to himself why does he do vampiric dmg?

Frangeo Munda
24-06-2006, 04:02
Whoa self mutilation :shocked: but really if shiro did do a ritual to himself why does he do vampiric dmg?
And yet...
I don't yet have Factions, but he's an Assassin, isn't he?
So he's an Assasin, with ritualist scars, necroish damage, and a death cry that could be said to be some huge-*** water-ele spell... I think the guy needs to see a shrink.

Arkhan The Black
24-06-2006, 05:51
I think Shiro is not bound to professions like our characters are. He is the stuff of heroic legends gone bad. The scars are probably from some ritual that was lost or forgotten after the jade wind. Either way the nature of the skill suggests it is of Necromantic nature.

El Sordo
24-06-2006, 06:19
And yet...
So he's an Assasin, with ritualist scars, necroish damage, and a death cry that could be said to be some huge-*** water-ele spell... I think the guy needs to see a shrink.

Don't forget to mention that he attacks like a ranger with daggers. :rolleyes: Anyway, I agree that it is probably some ritual that makes him more powerful. Then again, why is the skill "battle scars" when it is actually a ritual scar? Also, if my theory that he is a R/A is correct, no wonder he got killed. He doesn't even fufill the requirements on his own daggers. :tongue:

lamlamlam
24-06-2006, 08:50
What about the idea of them being toture marks left from pass battles?
Maybe the interrigator got "creative" and decide to do those in linear patten.

Mularc Templare
25-06-2006, 01:10
Shiro is actually a Warrior/Assasin. Don't quote me on where, I think it was listed on Guildwiki, and I have a vauge recolection of seeing it in game....

Mularc

Shrimp
29-06-2006, 06:44
Maybe they're just wrinkles? Everyone gets old after all. Fighters even more so. All that stress on the body. :P

Katscratched
01-07-2006, 10:41
And yet...

Maybe Shiro is the keystone :P

Actually, I would guess that his wide range of magics have to do with is being dead. Not being on this plane of existance, as well having the powers of an Envoy, might allow him to practice more than two schools of magical arts, where we lowly, living folk are limited.

As for the scars, Shiro had been a part of the Canthan army for some time before becoming the emperor's body guard. He probably has many scars, which could be from battle (though the direction and location of the scars doesn't really support this) or self-inflicted (whether ritualistic or not.) He also seems to have a "sour" face, rather pinched, which does indeed form wrinkles. Considering how early we see him with these scars, its possible he gained them during training, before he got all his fancy moves. Personally, I think the self-inflicted scenario seems most plausible, but its possibly a combination.

jouninassasin
09-02-2007, 04:44
i think the scars r a head gear item lol, like necro's scar pattern. since shiro uses the skill "battle scars" it would be some kind of part meaniong, like said before, a ritual to increase in strength....HEAD GEAR!

Xunlai Agent
04-04-2007, 18:17
He was a powerful and successful champion of the Canthan army and that is why he got the job as bodyguard. He may always have had the ability to succeed against "impossible odds" so the argument that he couldn't and shouldn't have survived wounds which would cause such scars would be explained.

Quintus Antonius
04-04-2007, 18:19
I'm rather fond of the "trophy" theory of Shiro's scars that was proposed earlier in this thread. They are rather even and controlled. Shiro was undoubtably a skilled warrior, but keep in mind, it really would be hard to survive so many strikes to the face like that. He'd have been blinded or killed.

MasterOfCheese
19-05-2009, 01:53
I don't think the scars are from battles, because if you look at him in the factions trailer and not the in-game model, you can see the scars look kinda like tattoo's, way too much to be slashes in the face. I think it was from a ritual of some kind.

Gmr Leon
19-05-2009, 02:41
You're right, actually. At the time this thread was made, that was not known, but if I'm not mistaken, it's revealed in the lore in the Prima Guide that this was precisely what it was.

Konig Des Todes
19-05-2009, 03:19
There is no explanation of his scars. Even in the Prima Guide.

However, it is possible that they were from the dark rituals he performed.

Karuro
19-05-2009, 08:08
However, it is possible that they were from the dark rituals he performed.
Thats what I read ages ago and took as fact.
Can't remember where I read it though.

Gmr Leon
19-05-2009, 21:43
Thats what I read ages ago and took as fact.
Can't remember where I read it though.

That's what I recalled as well, and I think it was someone stating that it was from the Prima Guide, hence my hasty response that it was. After looking over the page regarding Shiro, I found that I was, of course, mistaken. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised that they were due to parts of the rituals he took part in.