PDA

View Full Version : Sprite of the swamp, or what

LabyrinthsEnd
12-06-2006, 08:10
The Standard: sorry if this is already posted but I couldn't find it anywhere

I was doing the Gates of Kryta mission and saw this at the end.
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~wanless/gw072.bmp
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~wanless/gw073.bmp
I have seen it while doing this mission before and wondered what is it? I think I have seen them other places in the swamp, but I'm not sure. I guess it is some type of sprite. Kind of reminds me of the ones in Fable (for those who played it). It zips around over head, was a hard little bugger to get a shot of.
If anyone has ideas, info, or a place to look, let me know.
Cheers

Mularc Templare
12-06-2006, 08:22
Hummm thats interesting...assuming from the pics it moves, but does it do an specific behaivour or just move away as the player approaches?

Mularc

LabyrinthsEnd
12-06-2006, 08:54
Its seems to be set on a path, it moves right to left, then zooms straight up leaving a trail and disappears for a bit, then comes back and repeats

Camaris Spectre
12-06-2006, 18:30
Ah I've seen those. I always assumed they were good old will o wisps. It will all be ok, just don't try to follow them..

Edit: All the little details in Tyria are simply amazing.

Barinthus
12-06-2006, 20:21
Ah I've seen those. I always assumed they were good old will o wisps. It will all be ok, just don't try to follow them..

Edit: All the little details in Tyria are simply amazing.

Agreed. I've seen them all over Tyria in swamp areas.

Quintus Antonius
12-06-2006, 21:00
Yes, I'd certainly agree that those are Will O' Wisps, a common occurance in swampy areas.

LabyrinthsEnd
12-06-2006, 21:59
Will_o'_the_wisp Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_o'_the_wisp
Among European rural people, especially in Gaelic and Slavic folk cultures, the will o' the wisps is held to be mischievous spirits of the dead or other supernatural beings attempting to lead travelers astray. Sometimes they are believed to be the spirits of unbaptized or stillborn children, flitting between heaven and hell. Modern occultist elaborations bracket them with the salamander, a type of spirit wholly independent from humans (unlike ghosts, which are presumed to have been humans at some point in the past). They also fit the description of certain types of fairy, which may or may not have originated as human souls. For those who don't full know what they are

Ok so that is a good thought of what they are, but do they have any meaning to GW? Like are there stories about them causing Krytians trouble while traveling through the swamps? (Or have all those stories been replaced with the undead encounters?)

Or is there a tale of how some necro or ele harnessed there energy to turn them into a skill?

They can't just be added as a small detail to be noticed by those who like to look for things like that, like us...though I guess it could be probable...
Cheers

Quintus Antonius
12-06-2006, 22:09
And now the scientific reality behind Will O' Wisps. They are just swamp gases that are able to catch energy creating a glow.

Still, it's important to remember the significance of the swamps to Krytan culture. The swamps are their burial grounds, so if these are indeed paranormal WO'Ws, then perhaps they are somehow tied to that.

Seyfert
13-06-2006, 06:02
if i remember correctly there was also one in Lions Arch down by the beach on the western part of the dock area, zipping around during the Halloween event

LabyrinthsEnd
14-06-2006, 03:37
Well I guess they won't mind the undead in the swamps...to them they must be just another dead person. Anyway I do find them fun to watch, wish it could interact with them or have them as necro pets, though. Thanks for the input
-Cheers

Arctus Redryn
14-06-2006, 03:52
I found three "Navi" (Navi is Link's fairy and resembles a blue sphere of light with wings) in the swamp North of Lion's Arch as well.

Quintus Antonius
14-06-2006, 04:00
Now hold on, navi is a stretch. Do they actually have wings?

If not, they are simply orbs, which are a collection of energy, and nothing paranormal at all, although often mistaken as such. In a swamp where energy is harnessed due to the high amounts of greenhouse gases and dense forest cover, as well as the emitence of swamp gases, orbs would be quite common, and in fact, are.

Arctus Redryn
14-06-2006, 04:05
Now hold on, navi is a stretch. Do they actually have wings?

If not, they are simply orbs, which are a collection of energy, and nothing paranormal at all, although often mistaken as such. In a swamp where energy is harnessed due to the high amounts of greenhouse gases and dense forest cover, as well as the emitence of swamp gases, orbs would be quite common, and in fact, are.

"Navi" is what I call them, I am not saying they are Hyrulean fairies. :wink:

LabyrinthsEnd
14-06-2006, 07:59
How far north? I would like to see them, they sound interesting.
EDIT: NVM I found them they look like the red one just smaller, and move around in circles and leave a more defined trail. still interesting that they come it different colors