PDA

View Full Version : Gods of Tyria

Djinn Effer
17-06-2006, 11:57
http://positivezero.net/images/tyrian_gods.jpg

Here are the five Tyrian Gods, and here are their stories:

http://positivezero.net/images/tyrian_god_tablets.jpg

So what can we infer about them from their stories, and the dates which are noted on them? Furthermore it seems that there are matching gods for most classes but where are the gods for the Elementalists, Assassins and Ritualists? Most importantly the Elementalists, seeing as to how these gods are Tyrian gods not Canthan. (Perhaps Melandru is the Elementalist god? - Though it seems much more like the Ranger god - or perhaps it is some unknown god entirely?)

So, discuss the nature of these gods, why are some missing or "unseen" (perhaps look into that a little bit even?), share any knowledge you have on them, anything about their stories, what exactly is this "exodus" that is spoken of or any neat lil theories you may have! :cutie:

P.S. I apologize to all of the 56k people out there, but I didn't really feel like typing all of that when it was all but too easy to screenshot.

Sir Jack
17-06-2006, 14:00
Assassins: Grenth and Lyssa
Earth ele: Melandru
Water ele: Grenth
Fire ele: Balthasar
Air Ele: Dwayna
Energy storage -> Lyssa?
Ritualists: Grenth

Elvin Drude
17-06-2006, 14:03
Melandru is the godess of rangers. also, with the new bonuses on the rez shrines, none take +1 to elementalist attributes, like how there is on Melandru +1 to all ranger attributes. they all have +1 to each attribute individually, like +1 to fire magic. this means that there seems to be no patron god of elementalists..

and yeah it does seem weird that in Cantha they don't worship other gods, for instance one for ritualists and one for asassins, and mabey even one for elementalists.

Zayren
17-06-2006, 15:35
If you go before the rez shrines and kneel at them while your region has favor, the spirit that comes out we give you powers based on your class and which god that class worships. I can't remember off the top of my head right now which is which though.

Nikhera
17-06-2006, 18:25
It goes like this:

Dwayna: Healing and Protection Monks, Air Elementalists
Grenth: Necromancers, Assassisns, Ritualists, and Water Elementalists
Balthazar: Warriors, Smiting Monks, Fire Elementalists
Lyssa: Mesmers, and often Assassins as well, I think?
Melandru: Ranger and perhaps Earth Elementalists. In Cantha, Melandru is sort of forgotten.

It's off the top of my head for the moment, but this comes out of the information I remembered from the Manuscrips.

Kara
17-06-2006, 18:43
Ritualists worship Grenth most of the time. They also derive powers from their ancestors, which is an older magic than the magic the Gods gave to humans. Thus, the profession originally didn't worship any particular god, they already had their own Spiritual power.

Now, that power is blended with magic... which is why most Rits worship or at least respect Grenth.

Assassins also worship Grenth and Lyssa (Death and Illusion, after all). In cantha, it seems Grenth is the god they pray to most. However, the Canthans aren't as religious as Tyrians, they're much more spiritual if that makes sense. They're also more imperial.

Kurzicks DO worship the gods, though... they are even more religious than Tyrians.

The Stiehl
17-06-2006, 21:48
If your region has favor, and you find a Ressurection Shrine of a God, you'll find that their blessings are as follows:

Dwayna: +1 to Monk attributes or +1 to Air Magic.
Balthazaar: +1 to Warrior attributes or +1 to Fire Magic.
Grenth: +1 to Necromancer attributes, Ritualist attributes, or +1 to Water magic.
Melandru: +1 to Ranger attributes or +1 to Earth Magic.
Lyssa: +1 to Mesmer attributes, Assassin attributes, or +1 to Energy Storage.

Also they have a host of other blessings, depending on their type. For example, Dwayna gives +10 armor, while Menaldru gives +50 Health. Balthazaar gives 10% armor penetration to all attacks, and Lyssa gives +10 Energy.

Usually they will have 2 'buff-type' blessings, in addition to the attribute ones, and the Favor of the Gods (+2% Morale Bonus).

Mularc Templare
17-06-2006, 23:39
I dont know exactly where this comes from...some of the Kurzick NPC's talk about it I think. Merlandru is sort of forgotten because of the whole havest temple incident - her charge, the living world, was warped and changed beyond return, and so the Kurzicks not to pray to her very often thinking she through the wardens are angry with them.

As for her being forgotten, this is true...In all my travels of Cantha (okay, I'm only at 63%) I've only seen 3 statues to her - one in Merlandru's Hope, On deep within the city and the one in Zin Ku Corridor (wrong name?)

Mularc

Quintus Antonius
18-06-2006, 01:38
Actually, the Kurzicks believe Melandru has abandoned them due to the petrification of the forest. She isn't forgotten, just "lost" in a sense due to the Echovald Forest being turned to stone. They feel Melandru was chased away by the Jade Wind and left the Kurzicks to fend for themselves. It may be true if you consider the nature of the Old Gods.

Nikhera
18-06-2006, 01:42
The Luxons share a bit of a similar viewpoint, although I think I heard some NPC say that she's not gone, merely dormant, sleeping underneath the jade.

Zayren
18-06-2006, 05:11
I dont know exactly where this comes from...some of the Kurzick NPC's talk about it I think. Merlandru is sort of forgotten because of the whole havest temple incident - her charge, the living world, was warped and changed beyond return, and so the Kurzicks not to pray to her very often thinking she through the wardens are angry with them.

As for her being forgotten, this is true...In all my travels of Cantha (okay, I'm only at 63%) I've only seen 3 statues to her - one in Merlandru's Hope, On deep within the city and the one in Zin Ku Corridor (wrong name?)

Mularc

There is also a shrine to Melandru directly outside of the Gyala Hacthery mission, and if I remember correctly, there is also a Melandru statue in the Silent Surf zone.

ShadowSword
18-06-2006, 09:27
So was this incident with the soldiers the creation of Balthazar's Eternals and the tribe the creation of the Druids?

And what happened to those who were first given the gifts of Lyssa and Grenth? And who did Dwayna give her powers to?

I always understood:

Eles: Dwayna and Balthazar (depending on attributes)
Warriors: Balthazar
Rits: Grenth
Necros: Grenth
Assassins: Lyssa and Grenth (depending on skills used)
Mesmers: Lyssa
Rangers: Melandru
Monks: Dwayna and Balthazar

Mularc Templare
18-06-2006, 13:50
The Druids were devout followers of Merlandru (or so it seems) that gave up their mortal bodies freely to become one with the world. As for the Eternal army, there a couple of theories floating around in...this (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=393883) thread. Hopefully that helps.

Oh, and its already been said, but ele's are considered the odd lot out of the core professions - they prey to a different god depending on the attribute.

Earth = Merlandru
Fire = Balthazar
Air = Dwayna
Water = Grenth
Energy Storage = Lyssa

Mularc

Quintus Antonius
18-06-2006, 16:49
The elementist ghost in the Crystal Desert describes how elementists follow not one god, but choose to learn from all gods.

ShadowSword
18-06-2006, 17:02
I know that Mularc. I was wondering whether this tribe were the ones who gave up their bodies and whether the soldiers referred to in Balthazar's area became the Eternals.

Eles aren't the only ones who do that. After all the monks choose whether to smite or heal as is shown by Mhenlo's dilemna and that chooses whther thye follow Balth or Dwayna.

Djinn Effer
18-06-2006, 18:25
The elementist ghost in the Crystal Desert describes how elementists follow not one god, but choose to learn from all gods.

Which ghost would that be? :huh:

Nikhera
18-06-2006, 19:10
The ghost would be Cembrien, located in Heroes' Audience.

He says, and I quote, "Others may be devoted to a single god, but the Elementalist seeks knowledge from any source. This is why we hold the power over all the elements. Knowledge, you see, is power."

Djinn Effer
18-06-2006, 20:52
The ghost would be Cembrien, located in Heroes' Audience.

He says, and I quote, "Others may be devoted to a single god, but the Elementalist seeks knowledge from any source. This is why we hold the power over all the elements. Knowledge, you see, is power."

Ah, it makes sense now... Thanks :cutie:

Does anyone have any idea what this "Exodus" they're referring to is? (BE: Before Exodus) :huh:

Gmr Leon
18-06-2006, 20:53
Ah, it makes sense now... Thanks :cutie:

Does anyone have any idea what this "Exodus" they're referring to is? (BE: Before Exodus) :huh:

Last I checked the Exodus they refer to is when the gods/goddessess left Tyria.

Djinn Effer
18-06-2006, 20:55
Last I checked the Exodus they refer to is when the gods/goddessess left Tyria.

Is there any information what it was like before they left and any specific reason that they did leave?

Gmr Leon
18-06-2006, 21:12
Is there any information what it was like before they left and any specific reason that they did leave?

Not that I know of,but oddly enough a year after they left Orr became an independent nation. Which is odd because Orr and Arah the city of the gods are all in the same distinct area.

ShadowSword
18-06-2006, 22:02
I believe they left after leaving magic to all the races and locking away the Bloodstones, thinking their work was done. I reccommend reading the Lore for what happened up to that point when the Gods were stll there.

Zayren
18-06-2006, 22:08
I thought I read somewhere that the Gods left Tyria because they were ashamed by what they had done...

Lyrius
18-06-2006, 23:01
What I find strange is that while most of the gods scripture were written at roughly the same time Dwaynas were written longer ago. Anyone have any ideas about this? At first i thought Dwayna maybe is the most remembered and almost seen as the 'greatest' of the gods, but when i think about it, it seems unlikely. Does anyone have any views on this. Also, Dwayna's scripture was written even before Ascalon came to be, but I do not know if this has anything to do with anything. Doen anyone know when the 'unseen ones' were first seen as it would be intresting to see when they come in...?

ShadowSword
19-06-2006, 07:22
Here's a few quotes from the Lore as to why they left:

...they decided to create magic. It was to be a gift to all intelligent creatures, meant to ease a life of toil and make survival a less arduous task.

But the Gods had not counted upon one thing; greed. Wars broke out immediately as the magical races fought for dominance. King Doric...gained an audience with the Gods and begged them to help, stop the wars.

The Gods heard his pleas and intervened...the Gods gathered back their gift of magic and trapped it inside a stone. They smashed the stone into five parts; four equal but opposing stones of magic and one keystone. Without the keystone, the other four couldn't be reasssembled....never again be at the command of a single creature.

The stones were dropped, one by one, into the volcano off the sourthern shore of Kryta and the Gods left this world forever, confident that they had balanced otu their gift and circumvented greed.

...'s represent areas where I skipped unessential text. I reccommend reading the Lore for more info.

Quintus Antonius
19-06-2006, 19:00
Long story short, the gods pretty much said "Let's get out of here before the crap hits the fan again", picked up and left. That's how I see it.

Djinn Effer
19-06-2006, 21:35
Long story short, the gods pretty much said "Let's get out of here before the crap hits the fan again", picked up and left. That's how I see it.

Yeah... Thats pretty much what I'm going with as well.

Lyrius
20-06-2006, 20:39
This may be a nooby question, but, if we have magic again then did the Tyrians gather all the keystones? Or is the magic they have now just a mere shadow of what they used to have? And finally has anyone wound these magic stones, when i first read it i thought about Bloodstone Fen and wondered if a keystone was one of the bloodstones, but the geography is all wrong...

Nikhera
20-06-2006, 21:27
The magic was seperated into four equal but opposing parts. (Preservation, destruction, denial, and agression.)

No creature may command magic from all four types at once. They have to co-operate to do so.

That kinda makes sense - I mean, monsters and henchmen are all dedicated to single professions, and we can have two professions. We can control two types of magic at best. :)

Besides that, it's also possible that the Gods decided to leave because the world was complete. It's kind of like grown children leaving their parent's homes, except in case, this the parents decided to disappear.

ShadowReapr
04-08-2006, 01:35
One curious factoid that I also wonder why mentioned, is approx. 10000 BE, the Giganticus Lupicius leave (the great giants). I generally assume these are the titans, which brings up more cans of worms.

If we consider the Titans of the game similar to the Titans of Greek mythology, we could postulate that it was at this time our Old Gods decided to overthrow the Titans. While not neccessarily related to the thread, something worth pointing out.

Yes, at the Exodus they decided to bugger off - Grenth had business down under; Dwayna the business up there; Lyssa had a nice vacation, presumably to relax and get her energy back; Melandru went back to her roots; and Balth decided to sit back and watch the best of the best batter the daylights out of each other, seeing if any of the ghosts could find the cure for defeat.

Or they could have gone to Cantha. Who knows?