PDA

View Full Version : making some money?

rodinia
18-06-2006, 11:50
Hello,

I'm really looking for a method to earn some money in-game. I currently have about 20k and it's not really getting more. My highest character, ele/me is currently busy with the first ring of fire mission. Is there a way to earn more money? I wouldn't mind doing fissure runs or similar in the future but I'm still missing quiet a few skills, and investing 1k on getting in with a group I don't know is not the best thing to do at the moment, considering that people leave higher missions for no reason at all. My party ended up near the end of the first ring mission 5 times already, everything went smooth and still people leave. So how can I finally start earning some money?

Rodinia

moenbase
18-06-2006, 13:07
Well. In Perdition Rock there are lots of skills to cap. And it's almost very likely that you need to clear almost the whole area. Get a team up, or some henchies to take along. Get ur Elites there. Probably you will come back a couple of k's.

rodinia
18-06-2006, 14:03
Well. In Perdition Rock there are lots of skills to cap. And it's almost very likely that you need to clear almost the whole area. Get a team up, or some henchies to take along. Get ur Elites there. Probably you will come back a couple of k's.

well, that's true. There's only one problem with that: money. As every skill costs me 1k I can only get the skills I really, really need instaed of going for completism. And as I don't have any money... Actually, I tried it and never get more than 600 max.

Rodinia

zetafox
19-06-2006, 16:18
Merchanting, by far the most awesome way to make money.
Buy something off a noob for a low price, sell it to an experienced player for a much higher price, rinse and repeat, or buy it off a high player for really low, sell it to a noob for much more than its worth. No people this is not scamming, if they are stupid enough to buy something without knowing its price they deserve to be ripped off.

nkuvu
19-06-2006, 17:00
No people this is not scamming, if they are stupid enough to buy something without knowing its price they deserve to be ripped off.
Do you see the contradiction in this sentence?

What part of "ripped off" is not scamming?

Personally I make money just fine by (gasp!) picking up things that are dropped for me and selling them. Salvage some things and sell them to the merchant. Things like scales, chitin fragments, and plant fibers are all selling fairly well at the moment.

hidden lion
19-06-2006, 18:47
four words

scammers should be shot

i find easyist way to make money is to do a mission over and over and over again i know its boreing but money is always good :laugh:

Dallcingi
20-06-2006, 03:05
farm ice imps, they give about 90+ gold each, thats good enough for me!

fang
20-06-2006, 05:20
I have "merchanted" before. Its a dirty business but telling someone that "IMO this sword is the best in game" isnt scamming if you really think fiery dragon sword is better than everything but everyone is different ;)

The Experimentor
20-06-2006, 05:24
You can try the Beetletun - Ascalon Settlement Ettin farming run. The targets are runes of all sorts (hopefully the expensive ones), most notable of which are Superior Runes of Vigor. Just start from Beetletun, head towards Ascalon Settlement slaughtering the Ettins on the way. Cross the portal into NKP, go to the main entrance to the Settlement, defeat the Ettins on the cliffs above the beach, head back to Nebo Terrace when you can't find anymore, attack the Ettins there, go back to NKP, etc.

I tried the run recently and it does yield Superiors... No Super Vigor, though.

Just take note that the Anti-Farm Code really hits hard there, so try to stay away from the place for a long time before going in to do it.

Good luck!

Lytha
20-06-2006, 10:22
Ways to make enough money for the capture signets without farming:

- Explore every area and kill everything in it
- To increase the amount of gold that finds its way into your pocket, reduce the amount of group members. If a monster drops 100 gold, and your party size is 8, you receive only 100/8 = 12.5 gold. If a monster drops 100 gold, and your party size is 5, you receive 100/5 = 20 gold... almost twice as much. And it's not solo farming with its limitations.
- Pick up every item and sell it to the merchant NPC - most people who complain about their lack of money are those who don't pick up their drops...
- To increase the amount of money that the merchant NPC will give you for the junk, identify it first. Yes, even the whites (starting in the desert, then the base value is high enough so that it matters.)
- Run a bit with henchies through Sorrow's Furnace (no quest.) The drops are good and the difficulty is not too hard.

Obsidian
20-06-2006, 11:28
i would personally farm UW or FoW, even if you don't have much skills double meteor shower is a nice way to go when there is a full team. FoW runs with ballanced team are quite profitable (8 members /1k = 125g but usually someone pays the whole lot alone). Also short UW runs are quite nice after you sell the goods to the merch you should have enough to cover your paying for entrance and a bit more. hunt the ecto drops they can be sold for 7k at the moment. If you have enough patience go to deldrimors war camp and farm Sorrows Furnance for greens. everyone wants a nuker there :)

i just don't get it... how come you got to ember camp and still lack the skills you need? you should have loads by now, providing you did all the skill quests. and even if you don't, if you say you have 20k, find a build that suits you (that's 8 skills max -1 which is arcane echo i suppose = 7) 7x1k=7k max for skills you need to optimise your ele. so what's the problem? :wink:

moenbase
20-06-2006, 15:01
Well, the problem with selling your items to players is:
- You need to know what it's worth
- Need a lot of patience
- Need items that are worth selling

Now in the big cities lots of ppl yelling to sell their items. I find that simply a waste of time. (also because of the above named points)
I have no clue what a Hammer shaft with 20% Penetration chance 20% is worth. Or a Vampiric bow string. Green items, prices? I have no idea.

So probably im already 'losing' like 100k there because I always sell my stuff to the merchants, unless I need it myself.

My gold atm is like 20k or so. I only spend my money on tons of Cap skills, Ident/Salvage kits. Sometimes a rune, but no expensive ones.

20k concidering I have 4 character for which I want all the Elite skills for 1st and 2nd professions. That isn't that bad i think.

Farming can be boring. And I think farming UW is only if your really experienced with it. Itll also cost you 1k to enter the UW. So if you fail you lose the 1k anyway.
I think it's probably best to just do some missions, or get to explore some maps. The South Shiverpeaks are quite hard, but they drop golds in the 100 there. Take as few henchies as you think you need to get the most loot.

ps.
I also do all the quests on all my characters, so that's also a pretty nice way to get more gold/drops.

Obsidian
20-06-2006, 17:55
Farming can be boring. And I think farming UW is only if your really experienced with it. Itll also cost you 1k to enter the UW. So if you fail you lose the 1k anyway.
I think it's probably best to just do some missions, or get to explore some maps. The South Shiverpeaks are quite hard, but they drop golds in the 100 there. Take as few henchies as you think you need to get the most loot.

it's easy to find out prices on green items, just stick around for 15 minutes in any major city and you will see people selling them. also, you can always ask your guildies that are more experienced with it.

second - as i already mentioned: you don't loose 1k in UW if there is 4 or 5 people in the team. if you are not experienced i surely hope you are not trying to go to UW on your own :rolleyes: i went there for the first time when i did some reading about it (check the Underworld guide here on the forum it is really usefull), with a regular trapper build and 2 more trappers. i got 1 ecto, loads of great items sellable to the merchant and payed only 333g for the entrance. we managed to do 4 quests there just the three of us. you can't be experienced in UW if you never get to try it, doing simple quests around the map. i'm not saying one shouldn't do quests, i'm just saying - what happens when you do them all ? repeat the missions you already did? get sick of the game cos you have done the same thing for 4 times ? what happens when you already have all the skills you need? then you want your 15k armor, then you want to try another build, then you want to EXPLORE UW and FoW too (yes, those are explorable and are parts of the map like any other :wink: )

i agree with the point that trading is a tedious job. i usually just keep my golden drops or salvage them or give them away to a guildie or sell them to merch, but if they are really good why not earning 10k from a simple drop and make someone really happy that you sold it for 10k and not 15 or 20? if you can't be bothered with the trade channel for a long time just drop the price for about 3-4k and see them flooding you with whispers. it's easy to see the price of every green item on loads of forums and websites related to guild wars. i believe this thread was about earning money in GW so yes, i'm still thinking FoW and UW are the best places for that. if you are still reluctant to try it out - there is Sorrows Furnance with LOADS of elites to cap and lots of greens to get :cutie: it's enough to get to know your own build really good and i hope you did it by now. i farm because its fun, killing things FTW, but i don't complain if i get a good axe for my warrior or a nice litol ecto to sell for 7k in a matter of seconds. 7k= 7 new elites, if you want to think of it like that :)

The Experimentor
21-06-2006, 08:53
Ph yeah, have you tried the green run in The Falls? With the new update, tghe place just dumps greens from non-uniques like crazy now. Totem Axes from Root Behemoths and Fans from Wind Riders. While they're flooding the market now and causing prices to go down, you should still be able to make some decent cash in the K's with them. :smiley:

jeff lebowski
21-06-2006, 10:53
two birds one stone, go through all maps to earn your cartography titles with henchies and kill along the way, constant money flow,and i almost always find a gold item an hour while mapping, maybe its just luck, but i love titles