PDA

View Full Version : [Canthan Lore] Assassin of Lyssa

jvxmtg
30-06-2006, 00:46
I'm still under the impression that the only Assassin Attribute that tune to Lyssa is Shadow Step. Where Dagger Mastery is Balthazar and Deathly Arts is Grenth, just like and elementalist, they worship certain god depending on the main element they are using.

So my question is; why all Assassin's attributes are in-tuned with Lyssa?

Any theories you guys have about this?

Goldfish God
30-06-2006, 00:54
Daggers are hardly something I think Balthazar would want to be associated with, they're a form of sly "unhonorable" killing.

Deadly Arts sit perfectly well with Lyssa, but u can see an overlap with Greneth/Lyssa as with Necromancer/Mesmer skills.

Nikhera
30-06-2006, 01:41
I'm siding with Goldfish. I think an Assassin can hardly be seen as worshipping Balthazar. After all, they can't hold out in the thick of battle, like Warriors can. They don't "bravely" meet their opponents head on. They slink in the shadows, teleport (which is, in a way, running away and considered cowardly, possibly) and ambush the enemy.

Now, I can see why an Assassin would worship Grenth - after all, he is the God of death, so shadow magic would be connected to him. (Many Necro skills deal shadow damage, too.) And, of course, they kill people. Duh. :P

They also fit in with Lyssa - deception and trickery seems to be her bag, and plenty of Assassin skills reflect that.

Besides, the only reason Elementalists worship different Gods is because of their knowledge for hunger, so the same rule wouldn't apply to Assassins. =^_^=

jvxmtg
01-07-2006, 00:07
But isn't that Shadow Step is more like Tactics? They may differ in principle but the uses are very similar. So if Balthazar support that, why not an Assassin?

Besides, running is not a sign of cowardice since Warriors has a skill "Retreat!" (imho, it should have been "Regroup!").

Quintus Antonius
01-07-2006, 00:13
Shadow Step is an illusion. Remember, they chase after you and then you disappear. I definantely count that as an illusion.

lavenbb
02-07-2006, 06:08
But isn't that Shadow Step is more like Tactics? They may differ in principle but the uses are very similar. So if Balthazar support that, why not an Assassin?

Besides, running is not a sign of cowardice since Warriors has a skill "Retreat!" (imho, it should have been "Regroup!").

It also depends on how you run, retreat effects party members too, it is used to protect your comrades in battle (comparable skills: protector's stance, watch yourselves). On the other hand, assasin cannot cause other party members to teleport, their running is actually "fleeing".

nachocheese
02-01-2007, 09:16
Shadow Step is an illusion. Remember, they chase after you and then you disappear. I definantely count that as an illusion.

I totally agree with you there. I think teleporting is an illusion. I mean, ninjas are similar to assassins and ninjas use deception to weaken their foes. And Lyssa is the goddess of deception as well

Arkhan The Black
02-01-2007, 09:23
Don't forget to Assassins killing is an art form with much beauty in it.

Raven Flameheart
02-01-2007, 09:32
The way the shadows conceal is very akin to the principals of Lyssa, as is the subtle approach to combat. The fact they kill is neither here nor there - warriors kill too, but no-one says they should be worshipping Grenth. Furthermore, the professions that do worship him relate to him as the god of the dead, rather than the process of death itself (soul reaping aside) - corpse use and the summoning of spirits.

Denji
08-01-2007, 09:30
As far as Retreat being cowardly, is discretion the greater part of valor? ;) But I agree that the deception an assassin utilizes argues for a pretty strong statement for them being in Lyssa's favor

Kjentei
08-01-2007, 10:47
I personally think all of them fit into Lyssa. And the only thing I have to go on is that Lyssa covers all the attributes in-game right? I'm fine with that.

Nanashi
08-01-2007, 12:32
I'm siding with Goldfish. I think an Assassin can hardly be seen as worshipping Balthazar. After all, they can't hold out in the thick of battle, like Warriors can. They don't "bravely" meet their opponents head on. They slink in the shadows, teleport (which is, in a way, running away and considered cowardly, possibly) and ambush the enemy.

In my opinion it's like this. Sins start wars, they don't participate in them.

shadow the hero
08-01-2007, 12:54
In my opinion it's like this. Sins start wars, they don't participate in them. IMO, Assassins ends wars, before they're even began :p

Quintus Antonius
08-01-2007, 14:04
Assassins definitely have a Lyssan aspect to them. Part of the art of ninjutsu is theatrics to decieve or escape from adversaries.

ShadowReapr
08-01-2007, 15:10
Aye, Assassins just scream 'lyssa'. Their worship of Grenth, from what I have seen, is largely dependant on their philosophy towards killing. The Assassins who kill as to be a part of the natural life-cycle, a personification of Grenth (A couple of henchmen speak like this... The one on Shing Jea Island, for example), would pray to Grenth so that he might accept their souls and carry them on to where-ever. The contract-killers (such as Panaku, for example), would not worship Grenth as they are in it for the money, fueled by greed and Vabbian armour. After all, you can't worship both a God and Mammon (zing!).

But overall, Lyssa just fits. The illusions of Shadow Arts, the spells of Deadly Arts, and most importantly for the God of Energy, Critical Strikes all reek of her. Dagger Mastery is but a means to an end, as I see it.

mrmango
08-01-2007, 23:10
Besides, the only reason Elementalists worship different Gods is because of their knowledge for hunger, so the same rule wouldn't apply to Assassins. =^_^=
:D
QFT, Prince Bokka must be an elementalist, he eats a lot.

But for reals, I agree with many of the repliers, the assassin profession "just screams Lyssa".