PDA

View Full Version : Analysis and Translation of the Tablets of Janthir

Quintus Antonius
07-07-2006, 07:55
In various locations around Kryta, mostly in Shaemoor near the Eye of Janthir, there are Tablets of Janthir. These writings are Scriptures of the Unseen, but to a person who is aware of the bigger picture, they describe much more.

For instance, some of these Tablets describe the Mursaat's place in the Flameseeker Prophecies:

The crossroads will come, a hiccup in time when the rest of history has not been written. At this juncture, when the fate of the world hangs in the balance, the forces of evil will rise. It is at this point, that the chosen ones may fail (Scroll of Seeing)

The "chosen ones" here are not the Chosen, but rather, the Mursaat. So, what were they "chosen" for? The language of the scroll obviously implies that they were chosen to guard Komalie. (I'll connect this later.) The evil rising descirbes the Lich and the Titans, possibly even Glint.

In a persons life he may encounter many doors. Some of them will be shut. Others will be open wide. But those with locks should remain shut tight, for faith comes in the acceptance that there are some things best left alone. (Verse 4, Book of Piety)

This is rather obvious. Don't open the Door of Komalie.

At his heart, every man has inside him a place of darkness. The challenge of the righteous man is not only to recognize in himself that which he seeks to strike down in the wicked, but to understand that he too is wicked. (Verse 3, The Book of Confessors)

This verse may refer to the Chosen rising to become Mantle Knights, but later fighting against the Mantle. However, it also seems to be the Mursaat's way of justifying their slaughter of the Chosen. I believe it is saying that the Mursaat are righteous (holy) because they know what they are doing, but have realized the greater cause behind it.

The way of the Chosen is found in death. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is only in the latter that the Unseen shall be brought to glory. Patience progress in this delivery shall be rewarded in the next life. (from a conversation with Elder Confessor Schessler)

Here we see a description of why the Chosen must be sacraficed, and the true fate of the selected Chosen. However, notice the usage of the phrase "the Unseen shall be brought to glory". Not only is this describing how the Chosen must die to keep the Door of Komalie shut, but it is also describing how the Chosen's souls are fueling the Mursaat's ascension towards an existance similar to that of the Old Gods.

However, beyond these four Tablets, the rest of the Tablets seem to be describing things and events completely unrelated to the Prophecies and the Door of Komalie.

Take this one for instance:

In our faith, we are blind
In the Unseen, we seek true sight
In ourselves, we find obedience
("Peasant's Prayer", Book of Loam)

Notice how it says, "In our faith, we are blind". Because of the language in the second line, the "our" in the first line refers not only to the Krytan peasants, but also the the Mursaat. This is possibly a reference to the time when they still worshipped the Old Gods. Also notice the reference to "true sight", refering to the Unseen Ones.

Although it stands to reason that a Believer should be mindful of that in which he believes, it seems that we are all at times negligent. Consequently, if someone were to ask the Believer in what he believes, the person who can answer without stopping to contemplate and reflect is rare. (Exerpt from The Book of Tests

Yet another Tablet that seems to be describing a time when the Mursaat still worshipped the Old Gods. Notice how "Believer" is a proper noun, refering to a specific person. I believe this Tablet is speaking of the person (possibly Lord Odran) who first uncovered the secret of the Old Gods, perhaps it is even describing his meeting with the Old Gods. Notice how the Believer is questioned. Questioned by whom? It is possible this is describing Odran's meetings with the Old Gods, at a time when he was still a "believer". It is also important to notice the book title, "Book of Tests". Did the Old Gods test Odran or the Mursaat in some way?

The true Believer does not ask for compensation
The true Believer does not ask his gods to deliver him from sin
The true Believer places his life in the hands of faith, trusting in the Unseen
(Verse 11, Book of Heresy)

Ah, notice once again we are introduced to the "Believer", proper noun.

It is important to remember that these texts were most likely handed down by Saul D'Alessio, and consequently, are used to promote the faith of the White Mantle; but just like many things attributed to the Mursaat (including all of the Tablets of Janthir currently being lectured on), it has a double meaning. In this text, the Believer is most likely Saul. Rather than asking for anything from his "gods" (Unseen Ones), Saul simply bowed down and placed his life in their hands "trusting in the Unseen". However, it is interesting to note this is called the book of "Heresy", which leads me to believe that the Believer is more than just Saul.

One possibility is that this is a reference to Odran's meeting with the Old Gods. It describes what he asked for (or didn't ask for). The last line is typical religious rhetoric, promoting the Unseen Ones, as described above. When Odran first entered the Rift, he was assault by the spirits of the Hall of Heroes, however, at the time, he had yet to encounter the Old Gods, and placed his life in their hands (he had faith they would protect him). By the end, he had lost the faith, and the spirits finally found a way to attack him.

The real test of a Believer is his range of sight
Faith does not require clear vision
But rather an acceptance of what is truly there
(Oath of the Unseen)

Bingo, this is the corner stone of my theory on the Tablets of Janthir. On the surface, this seems to be describing the needed faith of the White Mantle, to "see" the Unseen Ones. Yet, like all the other Tablets, this too has a double meaning.

Once again, our friend the Believer is introduced. Only this time, his range of sight is being tested. Obviously, this is not eyesight, but rather spiritual vision. The last line is pivitol. The Believer has accepted what is truly there, perhaps the truth that the Old Gods are not gods at all. His vision has cleared, and his true sight (possibly the origin of the phrase True Sight) has been proven.

A person is a good Believer to the extent that he earnestly places importance in his masters. But even a person who is good for nothing will be a reliable supplicant if only he has the utmost faith in his masters (Verse 8, Book of Ranks)

As of this time, I have no theories or hypotheses as to the meaning of this Tablet.

[QUOTE]A man once climbed to the top of the tallest mountain to find out how far he could see. Upon arriving, he looked out on what he believed to be the edge of the world. The thought of what lay beyond so frightened him that he climbed back down, never to return (Journal of Abbot Catos)

I theorize that this Tablet is describing, in part, Odran's travels through the Mists to meet the Old Gods. When he finally met them, he saw so much more than what he first thought to be true, and it scared him. Eventually, he was able to rationalize this and come to the conclusions I outlined in my article "The Odran Code".

The mountain spoken of here is not a literal mountain, but rather a metaphor for the original Mursaat faith in the Old Gods. "Climbed ot the top of the tallest mountain" refers to the journey of Odran to meet the Old Gods, but also the peak of Mursaat Old God worship. "The thought of what lay beyond..." describes the realization of the Mursaat race that the Old Gods were not gods, but rather something else. "Climbed back down, never to return..." is describing the final fall of the Mursaat faith in the Old Gods. Once they saw the truth, they abandoned the worship of the Old Gods and never returned to it.

In conclusion, it is interesting to note that it has been speculated that "Janthir" means "True Sight" in the Mursaat tounge. If this is the case, the very name of these texts speaks of what they really mean and describe, not only the Flameseeker Propheces, but also the journey of the Mursaat away from the Old Gods. If I am correct in my evaluations, which I believe I am in most cases, then these texts appear to strengthen my theories that I have proposed, explained, and shown strong evidence for, in my other articles and lectures on the Mursaat and their origins.

Gmr Leon
07-07-2006, 11:33
A person is a good Believer to the extent that he earnestly places importance in his masters. But even a person who is good for nothing will be a reliable supplicant if only he has the utmost faith in his masters (Verse 8, Book of Ranks)

As of this time, I have no theories or hypotheses as to the meaning of this Tablet.

I think this one is trying to say that,your a good Believer in the Unseen if you think of your masters(like,I'm guessing,the leader of the White Mantle or the Mursaat)as important. The last line is,at least I think,saying someone like a peasant,who believes in the White Mantle or the Unseen Gods,can still be useful through the transfer of information or like the Chosen useful in the sacrifices to keep the Door of Komalie closed.

Just a simple guess for it. Good job on this by the way Quintus.