PDA

View Full Version : Is Dervish the new assassin?

DarkHaunts
22-07-2006, 17:51
With the description that the dervish will be a melee warrior with low armor, using agility to avoid damage, does that make the dervish the new assassin?

There is a lot of sin hate in Factions, and I can only hope that the Dervish skill set truly helps keep that profession alive in combat. Or else... we'll have a whole new pariah class to embrace!

jaynatch
22-07-2006, 17:56
I think we'll know after the pvp preview event won't we. And I guess we'll know more after we get to try it out in pve. But yeah it does sound kind of dangerous to release another melee character with low armor. I just hope this profession has some nice tricks up its sleeve because it seems pretty interesting.

Erasculio
22-07-2006, 18:12
With the description that the dervish will be a melee warrior with low armor, using agility to avoid damage, does that make the dervish the new assassin?
Yes.

Keep in mind that one of the Assassin's unique features lies exactly in defense - the Shadow Stepping skills. I would expect the Dervish to be the same - I believe it will have something to offset its weak armor (keep in mind we don't know how much that armor will be, though - it could be anything from 60 to, say, 75). Many people have suggested a Primary Attribute such as Agility (evasion against attacks), and I do believe we will have something like that.

Yet, we will see a lot of Dervish hate, I believe. Simply because there will be many Dervish players, and many of those will try to play as if they were the "core" melee Profession - a Warrior, with 100 armor. That is not going to work, just like it wouldn't work to play an Elementalist like a Mesmer, or a Ritualist like a Necromancer - each class has its own weakness and strenghts, and one of the Warrior's strenghts is exactly its armor.

This is easier to deal with in caster professions just because they aren't on the front lines - what's a very bad Mesmer going to do, miss all interrupts? People often wouldn't notice this. A bad Elementalist would fail to kill stuff? In a 8 people party, that bad Elementalist would likely go unoticed. A bad Assassin, in other hand - dies. And dies often. That is something that you cannot miss (the big red health bars by your side would tell you what happened, if the monks don't do it first).

I would expect the same to happen with a bad played Dervish, or any new melee Profession that doesn't have armor (or any other kind of damage mitigation) as good as or equal to the Warrior armor.

Add to the above the "tank/nuker/healer" mentality (a lot of people think that's all you need in a party - something to tank, a caster to do huge damage and something to heal), that makes more than half of the Guild Wars professions useless, and I think we will see a lot of Dervish hate very soon.

Erasculio

critical vengeance
22-07-2006, 18:20
I can only hope we have lots of AoE scythe swipes to make us wanted, and god mode might be cool lol

VILenin
22-07-2006, 19:00
I'm willing to bet their skill line will be something like Scythe attacks that hit adjacent foes (like Cyclone Axe) combined with some sort of metamorphosis-stance type thing similar to ritualist item spells.

Hopefully, they don't succumb to pressure from the assassin-haters and just make the Dervish another tank. Agreed, assassins do need somewhat of a buff in certain areas, but catering to the "noob players" and turning the Dervish into just another warrior with a different look will be a disaster.

Hopefully we won't have swarms of Naruto-esque players. Is there any popular kid show featuring Arabian scythe-users? Cause I hope there isn't.

shadow the hero
22-07-2006, 19:23
You can Say the Dervish is somekind of Berzerker: Low armor, Damaging Everyone around him, and Transformation (Its NOT GOD MODE, He/she will become a Avatar of that God, Not the God itself!)

COLDshiver
22-07-2006, 20:16
I hope they can take a decent amount of damage and can act as a tank a bit. I also hope they are easier to use, and so people won't be telling them what to do (ex. sins are not tanks, etc.)

Geishe
22-07-2006, 20:17

There is a lot of sin hate in Factions, and I can only hope that the Dervish skill set truly helps keep that profession alive in combat. Or else... we'll have a whole new pariah class to embrace!

Well, to me... Sins will be sins, Dervishes will be Dervishes. Dervishes won't be the "next" sin, they'll just be the next Dervish. Sins cant transform, can't use scythes, and don't wear hoods.

They MAY play similarly, but I doubt the Dervish will be the "new" Assassin.

El Sordo
22-07-2006, 20:23
God mode? sheesh as it's said before it's not god mode! But of course this misunderstanding would be hilarious in PvE. "I think I'm taking too much hate! GOD MODE!" *poof* *gets slaughtered* "Dammit, how did they kill a god?!"

Hmm AoE attacks makes death blossom a laughing matter, so no Dervishes might be TREATED like assassins, but they will never be assassins.

Seikyo
22-07-2006, 20:23
I belive KD-skills could be common with a scythe ... I mean of all normal weapons which one would definately knock u over if it hit (lets pretend they dont rly hurt u and try)

I think: scythe or maybe some huge hammer (sledge-hammer)

then oen more thing ... the grim reaper has a scythe ... this will maybe be my new favorite char o.O ... It would be cool if they had black long robes with hoodies o.O so cool

xD but yehr I thought assassins were totally killerdudes. but u cant rly get full use of ninja skills in a controlled rpg with radar ^^ (who would be able to avoid an assassin behind a corner almost invissible with poison darts and shurikens making u think some ghost hit you? not me atleast (without the radar that is))

Shadowed Sun
22-07-2006, 20:42
I'd think they will, but we'll see. They still sound neat!

ss

Vunduin
22-07-2006, 21:09
Seems a lot to assume from a picture and a trickle of background info.

whitebladethediviner
22-07-2006, 21:26
well u guys have to remember something they wont always be in the pit of melee battle because a scythe is a long range weapon so they will be midway into combat so therefor warrior can tank and life is good...

and the god mode=mist form is wut i think

VILenin
22-07-2006, 22:25
It'll probably just be like: you deal extra damage, damage reduction, or some other type of similar buff.

I hope they can take a decent amount of damage and can act as a tank a bit. I also hope they are easier to use, and so people won't be telling them what to do (ex. sins are not tanks, etc.)

Absolutely not. That would be disastrous. If you want to tank, be a warrior. I believe that classes like the Assassins and Dervish should be difficult to play so as to cater to the advanced players more; in my opinion, they should also reflect this difficulty with an increased versatility and power in the hands of a good player. That was the problem with the assassin; a good assassin could dish out massive damage, but they had too many other disadvantages that simply couldn't be overcome.

In other words, make Dervishes a class with a distinct set of advantages and disadvantages, and make those disadvantages able to be overcome, and you'll have a devoted Dervish player right here.

Servant of Kali
22-07-2006, 22:37
Assassins and Dervish should be played by experienced people. Warriors should be played by newbies.

There. The reason why 99% of assassins complain how profession sucks is because their playing skill doesnt match the subtlety of the class.

lavenbb
22-07-2006, 23:43
I think it will depend on how much people are hyped up about the class..

The current trend (thanks to the stupid preview) seems to suggest that a lot of incompetent players will be jumping on the "turn-into-a-god" bandwagon and screw up in just about anything they do. That will really set a bad name for the class, like was the case with assasins..

I actually don't think the assasin class is problematic, if you meant survivability wise, I find my assasin surviving a lot better using Shing Jea level armor in Kaineng PvE than my ritualist under similar conditions.

In a group environment, if the supporters put you on low priority then yes you're unlikely to survive. But if they provide the level of support that they give to elementalists or death necros then you'll find the assasin class quite resilient. If there's something to blame, it is the stereotype.

the mighty drazgon
22-07-2006, 23:54
im interested in this god thing. to be honest i dont think it suits their prince of persia look but hey. what is it exactly. i think it will be mroe than a skill, they might implement some whole new thing, like the follow on attacks of the assassin. y does every hate assassins. i love em, they can be really good as long as you learn to attack the right people. dervishes look kl :P

Nightmare The Dark
23-07-2006, 01:12
In my opinion, the Assassin class can be played perfectly as long as the player playing the Assassin understands that all he needs to do is get into the battle do loads of dmg (possibly kill the target) and get back out, quickly. I believe that is the whole point behind the Assassin.

The Dervish on the other hand, may have more of a tanking ability behind it. The tanking ability may just rely on tanking skills rather than tanking armor. Such as, skills where you can dodge x amount of attacks/spells or transformation skills that make certain attacks do no dmg. Things along those lines are what I believe the Dervish will shine in, yes some players will suck with them in the beginning, but I think every new class Anet introduces will suck until people find out how to play that class properly.

Super Kenny
23-07-2006, 01:25
The 'agility' part makes it sound like it's a stance tank(like ranger)

Servant of Kali
23-07-2006, 01:38
im interested in this god thing. to be honest i dont think it suits their prince of persia look but hey.

Well, im wondering, doesnt "Paragon" deserve 'embodiment of god' skills instead? The very word itself fits in.

VILenin
23-07-2006, 02:22
Dervishes are holy men, you know.

wnxsmrt
23-07-2006, 03:55
As I said with the Paragon thread, It is still too early to be making major assumptions.

Now, some of you are arguing the fact that it may be the "new assasin". To me, they arent going to be the "new assasin" but will be playing almost the same role. Seems like Dervish will have the same armor as assasin, and his/her sole job is to stand behind the warrior, then beat the crap out of the target.
The key to the assasin though is their Shadow Step skills. If Dervish does infact also get some shadow step skills. I will be very mad, because at that point, they ARE nothing but another assasin.

I believe they can go somewhere with this god mode tho. To me, the smrt thing to do would be have several gods for different purposes. Such as - One that increases Defence, on for Attack or Attack speed. One for run speed, or one that makes you regenerate quickly. To be honest, they can go anywhere with the god mode thing.

Dervishs are going to get the same hate as assasins. Most of the hate aimed at assasins were people new to Guild Wars that joined the game in Factions, and didn't get the experience or knowledge from the first game. It seemed like Assasin had a lot of apeal to new players who played the build... Wrong. If the same thing happens to dervish they are going to get the hate that sins got.

Honestly. I think is Paragon and Dervish play out the way I want they can rule all 3 games as a 2 man group. Dervish in a god mode form to raise defence while Paragon shouts skills that raise the dervishes attack. With dual weapon and warrior type AL. They could rule.

the mighty drazgon
23-07-2006, 10:29
i just thought about this scythe, dervishes can prob attack from a new range, they cud actually be further away then the warrior and the warrior can block the target from hitting the dervish

elona scissorhands
23-07-2006, 10:36
as the description says, no its a frontline fighter. using spells or shouts or chants to buff its way to a satisfactory position. I think that it'll probably have multiple short shout-like skills to remedy certain flaws and thus push them over the boundries set by the warrior or other proffession, while leaving other parts in need of attention.

Kyshen
23-07-2006, 10:38
what? longer attack range?! using a scythe properly suggests you have to hold the handles mounted on the side of the main shaft (look at harvesting scythes.. not the pansy straight shafted ones with no handles at all.. yeurk)
and these handles can only ba about a foot or so away from the blade, that's not exactly a long range is it?

Personally I'm hoping the swinging of the scythes will damage ANYTHING in range.. also team mates, that'd certainly add a new twist. and it'd stop them hiding behind warriors.

God mode? sounds to me like devil trigger (hehe.. gotta love DMC) I'm personally looking forward to making a necro/dervish..

Half Blood Prynce
23-07-2006, 11:30
a couple of people have said this already but it can't be said enough. asassins are a great class equal to any other. the only difference is they are not warriors, meaning that every class has a diferent effectiveness when played by an unexperienced player and an experienced player. the harder it is for an unexperienced player the more potential it has for an experienced one, and vice versa. this combined with the fact that as a new proffesion people were playing it more than any other proffesion meant that we would have an overflow of bad asassins in the game. the ritualist on the other hand is an easier class to handle, albeit with less potential, thus meaning there is no rit hate in the game.
i hope that nightfall works the same way, 1 relatively easy class to handle, and 1 hard one. since i dont want 2 easy classes because then i have no characters that can totally own, which my sin does btw, on the other hand 2 hard classes means for a lot of char hate.
also the sin hate has weakened alot by now since all the newbie sins are starting to give up and leave it to the experienced players

Azgalon
23-07-2006, 14:18
I do believe Dervish will have more PbAOE skills a la Cyclone Axe but with a Scythe.

richo
23-07-2006, 19:55
You can Say the Dervish is somekind of Berzerker: Low armor, Damaging Everyone around him, and Transformation (Its NOT GOD MODE, He/she will become a Avatar of that God, Not the God itself!)

gg grenth grim reaper transformation:cloud9:

i just thought about this scythe, dervishes can prob attack from a new range, they cud actually be further away then the warrior and the warrior can block the target from hitting the dervish

i am hoping for somthin like that dervish normal range with a scyth is further then a warrior weapon (sword/axe/hammer) like 1.5-2 times that range making it a splendid attacker with a crowd at you or just attack from a further range then a warrior without cyclone axe/hundred blades able hitting you....

Ohanzee
23-07-2006, 20:01

this sounds really, really similiar to DAOC's berzerker class, where you could warp into a frenzy mode (turning into a giant "vendo" (bear like creature) to do some serious damage in a short amount of time, but on a recharge timer) something like this would be neat

VILenin
23-07-2006, 21:00
gg grenth grim reaper transformation:cloud9:

i am hoping for somthin like that dervish normal range with a scyth is further then a warrior weapon (sword/axe/hammer) like 1.5-2 times that range making it a splendid attacker with a crowd at you or just attack from a further range then a warrior without cyclone axe/hundred blades able hitting you....
That would be Nearby range. They'd be hitting at an equivalent range as Earthquake or Rodgort's Invocation. In other words, they'd be devastating in that situation.

I doubt ANet will make their primary attribute evasion; too many balance issues involved, I think. They'll probably give them an attribute that causes their attacks to deal AoE naturally (For each rank in [Primary Attribute], you have an additional 2% chance to hit all adjacent foes) or have them deal natural splash damage (For each rank in [Primary Attribute], each attack deals an additional 4% damage to all adjacent foes) or something of that sort.

Even if they had low armor, then, as long as ANet gives them proper survival (note: Survival, not tanking), the ability to dish out rapid, consistent AoE (something a warrior can't really do) would give them a place in most noob PUGs. The problem is that PUGs don't realize that the assassin speciality (rapid, consistent focused spike, basically the opposite of my envisioned Dervish) can contribute much more to a group than a Barrage Ranger or a warrior "tank".

To any ArenaNet developers reading this: Please do not make Dervishes into another warrior with a different skin and different skills. Make them an unique class that actually requires skill to play (like the assassin). I want to be proud of my character.

Raven Flameheart
23-07-2006, 23:20
I think the "Transformation into a God" thing won't be nearly as impressive as it sounds. It's possible to just be akin to a stance, but one that improves statistics rather than give a certain ability. Ofc, it's certainly too early to tell.

One thing that I know will be good though - Dervish and IW. Wth attacks based against large numbers of opponents, I think that they will likely be weaker than those of a warrior, but when you deal static damage, all you care about is numbers of hits.

Eragon Dragonslayer
23-07-2006, 23:24
i personally think with the alot of skills prob similar to cyclone axe there is bound to be a great new farming build..

richo
23-07-2006, 23:27
I doubt ANet will make their primary attribute evasion; too many balance issues involved, I think. They'll probably give them an attribute that causes their attacks to deal AoE naturally (For each rank in [Primary Attribute], you have an additional 2% chance to hit all adjacent foes) or have them deal natural splash damage (For each rank in [Primary Attribute], each attack deals an additional 4% damage to all adjacent foes) or something of that sort.

Even if they had low armor, then, as long as ANet gives them proper survival (note: Survival, not tanking), the ability to dish out rapid, consistent AoE (something a warrior can't really do) would give them a place in most noob PUGs. The problem is that PUGs don't realize that the assassin speciality (rapid, consistent focused spike, basically the opposite of my envisioned Dervish) can contribute much more to a group than a Barrage Ranger or a warrior "tank".

i am hoping for skills like cyclone axe that will hit a full area or all nearby foes making the dervish like that will be very effecient for large mobs like the troll cave or elona reach perhaps even faster then a 55 mo due to AoE dmg...
i doubt anet will introduce %chance to hit adjanct foes on every hit else i already see a major glitch comming (cyclone axe + %chance of hitting adjanct targets and then hitting 10 enemy hmmm? 3-5 times more attacks?)

i am hoping for the dervish to have this kinda armor:
70 armor (+10 vs phys dmg, +5 vs ele dmg)
to have a nice combination between warrior and ranger

Lord Pharoah
24-07-2006, 00:51
Is the Dervish the new Sin? Yes. The Sin fell victim to the same way of thinking that the other support classes fell to in the begining of chapter 1. They are not the most obvious and powerful 1 hit dmg dealer of the ele. They are not the high armor dmg reducing warrior. They dont have the obvious healing ability of the monk. These classes take true skill they fill a certain niche and in that niche they are dominant. The ranger and the mesmer happen to be a couple of my favorite classes but they are not sought after by the masses of noobs that populate GW. Remember when all people wanted in a necro was a battery? The ranger is the most versatile and awesome non caster in the game but how many people know that? The Sin is awesome at what it is SUPPOSED to do, assasinations. Mesmers make a dramatic difference in the battle field if used properly. Necros didn't get their props until the SF update and the aoe nerf. The Rit is another class that makes dramatic changes to the battle field.

In short there will be loads of dervish hate most likely. They look like they will need to use some stance/prot spell/shout (any combo there of) formula to stay alive and when we 1st started asking for stance tanks how many could do it? How many people used the tactics attribute in the begining of Prophecies? There are going to be a gabillion noobs running around with a bar full of aoe attacks and dying instantly lol. Same as the Sins going in with 8 attacks and no teleports or rangers standing beside a tank when they should be with the supporting classes or using stances. Me I don't feel the need to be right up in the action like many noob monks and eles I've seen you will find me mid range somewhere throwing spears and using chants to buff my team most likely. I will wait to make a Dervish after the rush is over if they are really cool.

Hella Good
24-07-2006, 02:09
Didnt they say something like chants to proto them? So it probably will be like low armor warrior who will have to commit a few skills on her/his bar to proto himself, much like a sin has to get a few escape skills every time. So in that way, yea, they are similar (probably) but it seems the dervish wont need to run around like a chicken w/o a head to survive, she/he wil just need to chant up or whatever the proto skills will be like.

Tinnic
24-07-2006, 04:53
The problem with assassins is that a lot of people who had no business playing assassins played assassin. Assassins were meant for advanced players, by which I think Anet meant that people who thought more strategy and less OMG I AM SO LEET LOOK AT HOW MUCH DAMAGE I CAN DO!!!!

Every assassin I have met who has CDS (Chronic death syndrom) have not mastered the art of getting out before the afflicted explode. I know a lot of people have been saying that cantha is assassin unfriendly because of the afflicted explosion but they forget that the assassin is the only melee character that can get out just as the afflicted explode!

My suggestion to people would be to think carefully before taking on a dervish. Remember that it is not a warrior, it is not an assassin or any other exsisting class but a new class of it's own that needs it's own unique strategies to play.

Azgalon
24-07-2006, 08:26
My first impression of the Dervish, is that it's more sturdy in melee than the Assassin.

Assassin can port away and have several escape-skills, Dervish cannot, but have several protection and evasion-skills to help him/her stay longer in battle.

Not as good armor as Warrior of course, but several skills to prevent and avoid damage.

Damage-output maybe between Warrior and Assassin.

BrotheRofKhaoS
24-07-2006, 08:47
there will always be the *ahm newer guild wars players that will see melee weapons and assume TANK! that is unavoidable however a well used assassin has always showed its value. Granted we have all seen the after math of a poorly played assassin using Dash to pop into the oncoming group of enemies ahead of everyone and getting completely flattened. However ive been with GW sense the beginning and have witnessed the horrible warriors, the ranger hate (which still lingers), and up until the realisation of the minion masters necros were not widely accepted either, and the rarity of mesmers. Now we have the assassin even more common then the W/Mo and 7 out of 10 of those assassins played as warriors. Dervish will have its bad players but just as all classes over time they will filter out and it will be easier to find someone that knows how to play the class well.

Final statement - Through out GWs history every class had its horrible players, but over time classes filter out and builds are posted on forums much like this one and even the bad players can set skill bars based on what they read -

Nekretaal
24-07-2006, 20:26
there will always be the *ahm newer guild wars players that will see melee weapons and assume TANK! -

Yeah but the dervish's description really sounds like that of a true tank: low armor but evasion stances and protections.

soulstryke
24-07-2006, 21:57
I don't think the Dervish will have PBAoE, or if they do; it will not be very effective except in the first part of a battle - since when do you see players stay in a compact group? The melee players get up into the fight or go straight for the casters; and the ranged folks split up and spread out in a line. The Dervish is going to have to have some kind of multi-target shadowstep like ability in order to hit more than one person.

Skig Galco
24-07-2006, 23:05
honestly, the dervish sounds like a reverse assassin.

the scythe sounds like a slow, low dmg weapon with aoe capability, and the "defenseive" abilities sound like they'll have some staying power. they seem like they're destined for the long haul, in stead of little quickies like the sin. but as they say, only time will tell.

lifeinthefridge
24-07-2006, 23:10
dervish = rouge

CKaz
24-07-2006, 23:11
I do believe Dervish will have more PbAOE skills a la Cyclone Axe but with a Scythe.

but perhaps AoE reaches further than adjacent if the range is to be believed?
of course that could get really wild/off the hook very quickly

Shadowleaf
25-07-2006, 11:49
The weapon range does not matter. You have to be in aggro range to attack even if the scythe can perhaps hit "Nearby" rather than just "Adjacent".

The key is that you allow the Warriors to be seen by enemies first so that you as the Dervish take minimal aggro. Then, you go right up with the Warrior and start dealing damage. As long as the Warrior doesn't move or die before the enemies he is tanking are dead, you won't take his aggro.

The risk is slightly higher if you go into melee because more enemies are in range of you, and enemy warriors have no distance to cover to attack you... But it's not so bad if aggro is held by tanks, even if you end up right next to them.

Phoebus
25-07-2006, 12:43
dervish = rouge
Dervish are red?
You're confusing.

The key is that you allow the Warriors to be seen by enemies first so that you as the Dervish take minimal aggro. Then, you go right up with the Warrior and start dealing damage. As long as the Warrior doesn't move or die before the enemies he is tanking are dead, you won't take his aggro.
That is not correct, the AI simply stops to move if they are engaged in melee, but they will switch target if a better target is in their attack range.

honestly, the dervish sounds like a reverse assassin.
That's also what I think.
I believe the Dervish is an AoE DPS profession with self-only defensive skills and enchantments.

Shadowleaf
25-07-2006, 12:52
That is not correct, the AI simply stops to move if they are engaged in melee, but they will switch target if a better target is in their attack range.

According to Guildwiki, the AI will only evaluate in-range targets if their currect target moves.

soulstryke
25-07-2006, 16:04
Okay I am going to agree and disagree. People had no business playing assassin is a little harsh; after all who played the assassin before Factions came out? On the other hand, yes it is for advanced players so you have to practice and work your way into them. I am still learning the nuances of my PvE assassin and trust me when I get her through the game and get the hot armour; I will be in PvP with her no matter the chapter because she's cool and I have some fun tactics with her - right now a As/Mo but I am going to make her an As/Ele to use a variation of my necro traversal/frost burst attack only with Shadow Step skills... hmmm I may need to make an Ele/As now to try a few evil things at least in RA...

The problem with assassins is that a lot of people who had no business playing assassins played assassin. Assassins were meant for advanced players, by which I think Anet meant that people who thought more strategy and less OMG I AM SO LEET LOOK AT HOW MUCH DAMAGE I CAN DO!!!!

Every assassin I have met who has CDS (Chronic death syndrom) have not mastered the art of getting out before the afflicted explode. I know a lot of people have been saying that cantha is assassin unfriendly because of the afflicted explosion but they forget that the assassin is the only melee character that can get out just as the afflicted explode!

My suggestion to people would be to think carefully before taking on a dervish. Remember that it is not a warrior, it is not an assassin or any other exsisting class but a new class of it's own that needs it's own unique strategies to play.

Azgalon
26-07-2006, 07:24
From what i have understood, Dervish will have less damage output than Assassin (of course), with slower attack-speed but with PBAoE-attacks.

The Earth-prayers will keep the Dervish up and running in melee for a long time though, with both defensive and regenerative powers.

The Wind-prayers will probably help evasion as well as faster movement.

Seems like a very self-sufficient and capable class.

What it lacks in attackspeed it makes up for PBAoE-swings hitting everyone around him/her.

The Earth-prayers will surely make this class a sturdy one.

-

Oh, and don't forget Mysticism. That can keep you alive for a long time if you have lots of enchantments + enchantment-removal.

lavenbb
26-07-2006, 07:33
From what i have understood, Dervish will have less damage output than Assassin (of course), with slower attack-speed but with PBAoE-attacks.

The Earth-prayers will keep the Dervish up and running in melee for a long time though, with both defensive and regenerative powers.

The Earth-prayers will probably help evasion as well as faster movement.

Seems like a very self-sufficient and capable class.

What it lacks in attackspeed it makes up for PBAoE-swings hitting everyone around him/her.

The Earth-prayers will surely make this class a sturdy one.

-

Oh, and don't forget Mysticism. That can keep you alive for a long time if you have lots of enchantments + enchantment-removal.

Evasion and faster movement (if available) sounds like it's gonna be in wind prayer more than earth to me.

Azgalon
26-07-2006, 07:40
Yes, was a typo.

Durron
27-07-2006, 23:32
Are the vast majority of new players in Nightfall gonna play them? Check.
Will they have lower armor than warriors? Check.
Will they be melee fighters? Check.

3 Checks = Yes.

Silver Dragon
28-07-2006, 05:30
i think that the dervish will have some sort of elemental armor enhancement spells, since two of their attributes are Wind Prayer, and Earth Prayer. Seems like it would be the only way to balance the class.

Just my two cents

Azgalon
28-07-2006, 05:54
I will probably roam around as Grenth or Balthazar mostly! :D

Balthazar-form
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6908/balthxh3.jpg

Grenth-form
http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/9497/gw088cb9.png

-

If you don't have a Warrior, a Derv in Balthazar-form can tank in a pinch! For 48 seconds that is! :D

Avatar of Balthazar (E): Elite Form. For 148 second, you gain +40 armor, you move 33% faster, and your attacks deal holy damage. This skill is disabled for 120 seconds. (5 / 2 / 5)

soulstryke
28-07-2006, 16:44
OMG OMG OMG I have only had a chance to play in two RAs with the Earth one - I am definitely going to go for the Balthazar that is **awesome**

Got it handed to me both times because they go straight for the Derv instead of the Monk now *LOL* but I am going to mess around a lot more tonight... I like 'em both after looking at the premade builds for both...

tommynj
25-10-2006, 09:51
I did the WPE and Dervish just completely owned, died a few times but like everyone else was not familiar with all the skills and usage yet. Dervishes will never be true tanks and never replace wars and we don't want them to but man they just look so much cooler than a war and we can hit just as hard if not harder :) The Avatar forms just look awesome ( am loving Grenth form and Lyssa ) No they will not be the new assassin cause removing enchantments for heals at a spammable rate is just a complete godsend something an assassin primary can't do. We had so many new people try to tank with sin and it was just horrid but I think this time around people will know alittle better ( am really hoping ) that people DO NOT tank with Dervish in pve but with everything it goes with just experimenting and that is a pretty fun thing to do :)