PDA

View Full Version : The spear attribute

li levac
26-07-2006, 09:25
I'm unsure but I can't see many people investing that heavily in this area unless it's high damage (even if it is slow attacks).

Paragons look to be the commanders, as they refer to them, the players who watch the battles and boost the players in need.

I loved the assassin class in factions (and still do) and this paragon class just seems perfect for GvG, maybe they'll be a new target at the starts of battles if the paragon shouts, chants and motivation skills are good.

I just can't wait to play a Paragon!

Guildoholic
26-07-2006, 14:22
I'm guessing that the spears will do piercing damage since ranged physical projectiles all do piercing damage.

Karmakin
26-07-2006, 14:27
Actually all the SM line really needs are two things.

A relativly high damage attack, for spike damage. Preferably more than one.

An interrupt for alter matches and general disruption.

If it has these things, then SM will be played, at least when talking about PvP . If the SM line has a skill similar to Savage Shot, where it gives you BOTH?

That'll be great, and virtually every Paragon will run at least 9 SM for that skill alone.

Goldfish God
26-07-2006, 15:33
If it's anything like Assassins and Rangers (and to some degree Warriors) Spear Mastery will probably be the only att which provide paragons an actual weapon.

To hazard a guess, some form a cripple attack will make an appearance since that has been a real-life use. The heavy weight of the spear/javelin is enough to hamper most movement if not from actual body damage.

GormWolfblade
26-07-2006, 16:05
I imagine spears to be the 'air magic' of physical damage. As in, alot of skills may have an armor penetration bonus.

Findariel
26-07-2006, 16:15
Spears? Will be very much like bows.

My main concerns:
1. are there interrupting spears?
2. can we use poison, bleeding and so on on spears?
3. Is there a multi-spear attack (like barrage)?
or
4. will there be magical (exploding) spears that cause AoE?

This will largely determine whether or not offensive Paragons will be accepted into groups or will be the next 2nd rank "filler" profession.

Of course that doesn't mean that group buffing Paragons can't be very much in demand, just regarding the spear attribute. Will it be comparable to wanding (and will the spear energy boost stats be far more important) or will it have its highly appreciated offensive uses?

We'll see in a few days !! :rolleyes:

I XM
26-07-2006, 16:18
Anyone wants to bet that we'll see R/Pa Javazons using expertise abuse to spam spear skills this weekend? :/

Findariel
26-07-2006, 16:27
Anyone wants to bet that we'll see R/Pa Javazons using expertise abuse to spam spear skills this weekend? :/
Yay Javazones ftw!!!! Just like the old days!! :wink:

Deus Invictus
26-07-2006, 16:33

i guess we'll see, but im deffinately testing out the buffs

Rampageoh
26-07-2006, 17:58
I am not ashamed to say that I was a long time Diablo2 player. My favorite charachter was a hell rushed level 9 Javazon that could take down some level 30 characters and was considered by many to be the Number1 lvl 9 dueler in the game. It took me two years to build her.

I am hoping that the Paragon will give me the opportunity to recreate her (to some extent) in Guildwars. I miss her.

Spears should be both throwable and used melee. I am hoping for a one handed Javelin class wepon that can be used with a shield.

The developers of Guildwars have been remarkably resistant to copying the Diablo characters up to this point. The fact that the founders of A Net were some of the original designers of Diable makes that even more surprising. I hope that just this once they let a little of my favorite D2 character into GW.

Servant of Kali
26-07-2006, 19:42
Actually, spearline doesnt even have to be used a lot. Monks have smiting why? Because ANet wants each class, even the healers, to have an option of being offensive characters. They want versatility. Sure they couldve made it full buff profession, but i noticed that's not how they design professions.

It might be quite likely spearline will have similar fate to smitting. A bit underpowered with few moments of everyone screaming "nerf air of spears" and "zealot's spears" : ) But i bet i will like spears : )

rangerjon
26-07-2006, 23:50
Spears? Will be very much like bows.

My main concerns:
1. are there interrupting spears?
2. can we use poison, bleeding and so on on spears?
3. Is there a multi-spear attack (like barrage)?
or
4. will there be magical (exploding) spears that cause AoE?

This will largely determine whether or not offensive Paragons will be accepted into groups or will be the next 2nd rank "filler" profession.

Of course that doesn't mean that group buffing Paragons can't be very much in demand, just regarding the spear attribute. Will it be comparable to wanding (and will the spear energy boost stats be far more important) or will it have its highly appreciated offensive uses?

We'll see in a few days !! :rolleyes:

This actually scares me VERY much because I wanted to make a channeling build for my RT but everyone just wanted a restoration RT...

Well, you only really need about 3 attacks kills, 4 chants and 1 res. so hopefully this'll work

InvictusBlood
27-07-2006, 02:25
One question I have is how powerful spears will actually be. What will be their max dmg without a buff, and then how much bonus are Paragons going to get from SM.

Personally I am waiting very anxiously for these classes. I originally thought I would lean towards Dervish, but I'm definitely digging this back line commander feel.

rangerjon
27-07-2006, 02:31
One question I have is how powerful spears will actually be. What will be their max dmg without a buff, and then how much bonus are Paragons going to get from SM.

Personally I am waiting very anxiously for these classes. I originally thought I would lean towards Dervish, but I'm definitely digging this back line commander feel.

I felt the same way, once I heard that Dervish use spears I leaned in that direction right away, but now I'm really liking the Paragon.

lavenbb
27-07-2006, 02:34
I felt the same way, once I heard that Dervish use spears I leaned in that direction right away, but now I'm really liking the Paragon.

you mean scythes :P

I'm the opposite. At first sight I leaned towards the supportive Paragon, but then it looks like they're suffering from the same "too specialized" primary attribute problem as ritualists.. so that kinda turned me off a bit.

rangerjon
27-07-2006, 02:43
Well I like the idea of Leadership, it's interesting to see how effective it can actually be.