PDA

View Full Version : EoE Bombers in Alliance Battles

Samurai Jack
26-07-2006, 10:50
I'm not sure where to post this so mods, feel free to move this thread to its appropriate place =). Just not even 5 minutes ago, I decided to do a few AB games with my mesmer and something very cheap happened, cheaper than the touch rangers. A guild group decided to have some "fun" and set up an EoE spirit at the Kurzick base before the match started, then sacced themselves to death causing everyone on the Kurzick side to take damage and eventually die from the bomb. My question is this, have things gotten so cheap around the Alliance Battles that people decided to sace themselves to death in order to give the other team the advantage? It p***ed me off to no end that they resorted to this type of thing to win if that is what it was all about. Please post any comments if you've encountered this problem. I took a screen shot of the group that was causing the bomb so it will be sent to A-Net shortly.

Ayarie
26-07-2006, 11:02
There will be griefers in any part of the game or world anywhere you go..

=(

Naru Soulfire

Fay Vert
26-07-2006, 11:05
Hey, there is a war on. It's a direct consequence of the game design.

salaboB
26-07-2006, 11:10
Hey, there is a war on. It's a direct consequence of the game design.A war doesn't make it okay to turn traitor.

In war, traitors are shot by their own side. Let me know when that suddenly becomes possible.

MikesSmikes
26-07-2006, 11:25
A war doesn't make it okay to turn traitor.

In war, traitors are shot by their own side. Let me know when that suddenly becomes possible.

Furthermore if someone turned traitor and harmed their own side, they should lose all faction too shouldn t they eh? lol

Ayarie
26-07-2006, 11:32
The thing is witht he way the fort aspenwood battle seems ato go Luxons will win3 out of 5 times (not exact amount just a example).

The people crippling the kurzick side are probbaly people playing on the kurzick side to get faction.

It takes a Luxon side to kill a poor kurzick team about 3 minutes to defeate. - If not less!

thats about 500 faction even for the loosing kurzick side and beats any of the repetable quests because it can be done in less time - its obviously just not as fun for those playing on that side.

And btw just because ive given this as an example knowing the forum mentalisty sometimes does not mean i participate in this - just trying to analyze why someone would do it.

Naru Soulfire

Samurai Jack
26-07-2006, 11:42
Well this occurred not in the missions, but in the Alliance Battles. What ticks me off is that they exploited EoE to give the other side the advantage and there was nothing our side could do other than wait to be rezzed. Even then, the people that had died were not rezzed until 20 seconds after the timer expired. That was more than enough time for the Luxons to get half the map, then camp the Kurzick base. Something must be done to either change how EoE works, or change how one can't sac themselves to death. This problem could only get worse if nothing is done soon.

Fay Vert
26-07-2006, 12:44
No no, what needs to change is the whole set up of alliance and faction. Changing the EoE bomb is not the way, it's a valid tactic on GvG. Just the circumstances here makes it profitable to be a double agent. There are an infinite ways that a similar tactic can be employed.

sir lockt
26-07-2006, 14:19
Yup I agree...eoe bombs are used a lot, but can be countered. I was playing monk in the AB and when the bomb hit us... I managed to keep my team alive... all the others died... Some Heal Parties around, some protection and a lot of healing and you will survive...

...but still...the range of the damage is ridicululous... and THAT is what it makes it open for exploits like this... quick faction farm...

vader
26-07-2006, 14:20
The thing is witht he way the fort aspenwood battle seems ato go Luxons will win3 out of 5 times (not exact amount just a example).

The people crippling the kurzick side are probbaly people playing on the kurzick side to get faction.

It takes a Luxon side to kill a poor kurzick team about 3 minutes to defeate. - If not less!

thats about 500 faction even for the loosing kurzick side and beats any of the repetable quests because it can be done in less time - its obviously just not as fun for those playing on that side.
500 faction for losing on the Kurzick side? You don't get anywhere near that much for losing (epsecially in a 3 minute battle).

Giggles
26-07-2006, 14:39
It's a cheap way to win imho. Suicide bombing the whole team and everything around.

Vallen Frostweaver
26-07-2006, 14:59
It can't really be that effective. At 16 ranks EoE does 52 damage if someone dies. That means about 10 peolpe have to die for someone at max health to fall. Add in possible damage from other sources to that max health person and maybe ~5 people still need to die to kill an injured player. That's pretty hefty losses just the same. And there are some counters to it as well - but with many counters you need to be expecting it sometimes.

daftman
26-07-2006, 15:22
I doubt its effective. Alliance battle map is too huge to affect people. Plus player respawn very quickly.

Archenine Paranoia
26-07-2006, 15:26
Its devastating for Fort Aspenwood. I wouldn't know about alliance battles however.

Caddykins
26-07-2006, 16:47
Nod, EOE bomb rocks in Fort Aspenwood. It's not just one person dying - it's probably one person dying while the rest are taking out the softie npcs. And it's been unnecessary to sac oneself to death in Aspenwood - all the npcs and people die fairly regularly that a hefty amount of damage is given.

I haven't seen it in Alliance Battle yet, but I agree, taking your own life is kinda lame.

Samurai Jack
26-07-2006, 21:11
From what I remember seeing was two R/N's and a Me/Mo in their party. One set up EoE then the two saced themselved to death while the Me/Mo rezzed them, then rinse and repeat.

Darklight
26-07-2006, 21:37
I doubt its effective. Alliance battle map is too huge to affect people. Plus player respawn very quickly.

Oh belive me it is, in the last few alliance battles I've played in (Saltspray Beach) EoE has been used whenever a cap point has been majorly contested over, I've seen almost everyone within range go down when a chain begins. These things are double edged swords, they pump up both scores based on how many of each team are in range. If you lay an EoE spirit shout to ur team telling them that so as many as possible can get away.

Vallen Frostweaver
26-07-2006, 22:40
Here's a thought - Get a R/Rt or any Rt/x or x/Rt and bring Lively was Naomei for some fun with EoE. When you drop dead (or just drop the ashes if not dead) you res yourself and those in the area. You lose points but don't have to wait for the res timer and can take advantage of the map while the other team is dead.

Hendrixbrother
26-07-2006, 22:46
Any group with a monk in it should easily be able to survive this rather slow EoE bomb. Changing EoE itself because of this would be absurd, as normal EoE bombs are perfectly valid tactics. However it was never intended for EoE to cause a party wipe before the actual match begins, and this is where the problem arises. It is a problem with the game mechanics rather than the skill itself.

This could very easily be solved by making players impervious to damage before the timer starts. Once the timer starts the team should be able to get out of range quickly enough to avoid getting bombed.

Illbetyouhateme
29-07-2006, 10:56
Hello, I was one of the Kurzicks running Sacrafice EoE bomb in Ab. I am pretty sure you are talking about us, we ran the suicide bomb for about 4 hours tonight (or I suppost last night by now). I would like to state here that A) this is a build that desperatly needs to be nerfed, B) I beleive there was nothing wrong with what we did as far as the rule are considered (let me make it clear, not from the a social perspective, what I am saying is that my team was [insert profanity here]) and C) Our purpose was divided between having fun (I must admit it to that, most definatly a guilty pleasure) and also to bring to the Anets attention this extremly abusive build. I am sorry for screwing up peoples fun for one night, but judging from the "I am reporting this" comments that we got every single time, I would assume that Anet will hear about this and, hopfully, nerf it in a timely fashion. Feel free to flame my pm box but please keep this thread orderly. Thank you, and sorry.

Also if I do get banned (hopfully not at all or at the very least for a short time) I will inform you via this thread.

Edit: Upon reading more closely I noticed that you said on the kurzick side, we were on the luxon side saccing and killing thier team. What happened to you is probably a backlash of our actions. After running the build for a while the luxon AB town was starting to establish some retaliatory EoE suicide bombs to go over to the kurzick side. While I know for a fact that we were not the first time this was run, (perhaps most successfully and most abused) I do know that when we organized our eoe:ss (suicide sacrafice) there was absolutely no talk of the build nor had we been a group that experienced one. It would be an amazing coincidence if on the same day that we decided to abuse this build, free of out side influence namly hearing talk of it in town, in battle or on forums, others dicided to do it right before or during our running of the build. Thusly I believe that this whole thing started by our hands and not thats it an amazing coincidence, especially considering how vociferous our victums were upon being our target. In short what I believe happened to you was a direct retaliation to us and that we started this as a "popular" build. This is just what I beleive to be true based on what I know, so I may be wrong but I seriously beleive that not to be true.

Selene Raseth
29-07-2006, 18:27
....Or this is something that is not new and has been done before in AB and you're just another one of the many. In which case you likely have nothing to do with what caused this last one to happen.

flyingbunnys
29-07-2006, 18:54
I dont thiink there is anything wrong with EoE, Just the game play, like the fact people dod EoE before teh timer goes off. In which case I think the idea of making chars impervious to damage before the timer goes off is a good idea but then my question is could i still use my Illusion Weakness? and couldnt they just set up and do it as sson as the timer goes off?

eowen
29-07-2006, 19:03
lol this is so so funny :D

wish I knew enough people to do this.
and lol its not against the rules, its just a fun thing to do.

epsoul
29-07-2006, 19:16
lol this is so so funny :D

wish I knew enough people to do this.
and lol its not against the rules, its just a fun thing to do.
I've been on a team that experienced an EoE bomb (luckily, we had a good monk so my team survived), and it's "fun" is comparable to having someone who does RA just to leave before the timer ends.

Illbetyouhateme
29-07-2006, 19:58
....Or this is something that is not new and has been done before in AB and you're just another one of the many. In which case you likely have nothing to do with what caused this last one to happen.

Yes, I said we weren't the first, but the fact that there was no major talk of it in the forums or in the town before we started it makes me believe we had something to do with it. We were the first to go over kill with the idea you could say. As for a fix, I would think Points not being able to be gained before the match starts and instance rez before the match starts would fix it, or something like that.

eowen
31-07-2006, 00:11
you guys dont understand what he is saying lol, these did not use EoE bomb against the oposing team. They used EoE bomb against their own team. Stop posting about how you came up against EoE in pvp, thats not at all what he was talking about. He was meaning people intentionaly making their own team loose.

Wuzzman
31-07-2006, 15:37
I find the people who do eoe bomb funny. Makes a point to watch the upper left side of your screen at all times kiddies.

eowen
31-07-2006, 19:35
I find the people who do eoe bomb funny. Makes a point to watch the upper left side of your screen at all times kiddies.

read my post just above yours, you still do not understand what this thread is about. They were NOT using EoE bomb against the ennemi ! They were using it to kill their own side, to kill their own team, to kill the good guys. The reds where using Eoe on the reds.

Jagang
31-07-2006, 20:05
Ok I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but seriously its just a game and from time to time people are going to do silly things just to get under peoples skin. Its not a big deal in fact I think it is kinda funny. I mean I've had it happen to me once before as well. All I could do was sit there and die. I got a good laugh lost the match and then went in again. EoE bomb is just meant to really make people grind their teeth.

But I agree with Wuzzman I find them funny no matter who they do it to. When I read the first message here I had to chuckle to myself because EoE is funny and the fact that they killed their own team instead just makes it funnier. Its not exploiting the game instead it is simply playing a joke on 8 other people. So smile and enjoy and then go and do it to 8 others. Eventually we are going to have 3 teams come in trying to EoE everyone else on their team to death first! Now that would be funny.

Kalidri
31-07-2006, 22:27
I think eoe is funny as hell and an acceptable strategy. First time I got bombed in halls I laughed myself sick.

Also - it's a war. People do desperate things in war, so I think its actually pretty realistic other than the part where the other teams should probably turn aggro and kill them :)

The other night when talk of eoe was big, I brought along eoe at 0 beastmastery to "overcast" the bomb. I was so sad when no one obliged me by setting one up. I would so loved to see them sac themselves for the accumulated 14 damage :D. Sure, I weakened my build a bit, but the reaction would have been priceless...

Asiatic
31-07-2006, 23:02
I thought it was a glitch in the program. One time we(Kurzick) were heading out. I was saying, "where did everyone go?" We won 500-40. Also, I did have an EoE go off at our base. My team lost half their health. I thought the Luxons had figure something out, and that made me mad. {there is another game after this}

I guess the next time, I see this. Put down my Spirit of Shelter. I think that should help everyone.

sledgeunderhill
01-08-2006, 00:04
Actually, I think that Consume Soul [E] or any of the following would be better than Shelter: Feast of Souls, Rupture Soul, Spirit to Flesh. The reason why I suggest these over Shelter is because with all the allies in the base, Shelter will only protect against one or two EoE spikes before falling. If it's a weak EoE, (ie BM 12 or less) then Shelter probably won't even work, since the spirit will only be doing damage in pulses of 43 or less. Instead, I suggest to just kill the EoE spirit by using the above skills and get on with the game.

Rupture Soul might be the best one, since it could easily be added to the generic spirit spamming Ritual Lord build and be used as a defensive tool.

Illbetyouhateme
01-08-2006, 23:57
Yeah there is a ton of counters, but understand that this is right upon loading so you need to skip the cutscene and destroy the spirit, lay union, cosume, etc, with in a short time which become difficult, especially with any sort of lag, but is certainly do-able. Heres a video of it, enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgLs1MrUFCk

I Orca I
02-08-2006, 01:52
Ive had it happpen before, its really really not that much of a problem. So you see someone lay EoE in your base, they kill themselves and hurt you, are you going to sit there and not heal yourself at all?!!?!? Surely 4 hits of EoE isnt killing anyone and shouldnt most people bring some form of a self heal?

epsoul
02-08-2006, 01:55
I think eoe is funny as hell and an acceptable strategy. First time I got bombed in halls I laughed myself sick.
The difference between a team using EoE bomb in HA and AB is (at least in this case), that the other team was using EoE against you, not your teammates.

LunarEffect
02-08-2006, 23:33
well...i just wrote something about the sensible use of EoE in AB...read if you want

"I've been getting some bad feedback from people in Alliance Battles for using Edge of Extinction. Before commenting and calling me a noob, please listen what I have to say about this.

Imagine there are 8 kurzicks running towards a cap point and there are 5 luxons to counter them. EoE, through dealing damage to all "humans" in the area would let the battle, allthough the luxons are outnumbered turn out as a draw, which would, in the end give the luxons the advantage of having killed more kurzicks than kurzicks killed luxons. XD

Yup, I'm convinced that this spirit, if applied properly and to the right times can decide a battle. I also have rupture soul with me all the time, for the case that my team is reinforced and outnumbers the enemy, I just kill the spirit. :laugh:

Any thoughts?"

Illbetyouhateme
03-08-2006, 00:30
Ive had it happpen before, its really really not that much of a problem. So you see someone lay EoE in your base, they kill themselves and hurt you, are you going to sit there and not heal yourself at all?!!?!? Surely 4 hits of EoE isnt killing anyone and shouldnt most people bring some form of a self heal?

There is a problem with that, healing your self is not going to help if everyone else doesn't. If a few extra people die on the last sac, which they do almost always, then it will chain (their death + our death feeding edge and cause a spike) and kill people even at full health. You need a prot on you, mop the classic anti-eoe or something like it, for real self dependant protection. Not every one has self healing or protection in their build and a lot of times the healing is dependant on enemies being in the area (basically all of blood magic for example). Also keep in mind loading issues, every one on our sac team had cable connections that got us in and going fast. Sometimes people didn't even load untill after we had finished wiping everyone else. Look at the video I posted, thats real time right at the start. It doesn't take that long to sac and get the full 12 hits of eoe on every one (if you don't understand how one team of 4 gets 12 deaths watch the video). The whole point of the starting time is to get everyone loaded up and ready. That brings up the point that even with a counter if you load slow, it will more then likly fail and you are at a disadvantage because of that (although slow loaders always are, to an extent, at a disadvantage this is clearly different from normal problems with slow loading). Healing the saccers doesn't work ether, I have had a monk heal area our entire team and another heal partying his team (note that it will only get to the 4 people in your team not the full 12 people) and it still wiped the entire luxon side. destroying the spirit (which no one did to us) or putting up a counter spirit (a weak eoe, union, fertal season, etc) would be your best bet. Also, interestingly enough, sacing before we get prepaired would work since one or two sacs would kill us all (everyone was at 55 health or lower because they were prepairing to sac) and we wouldn't be able to put out all 12 sacs, just 5-6 which shouldn't kill anyone. You may have encountered a less organized group then us, but don't make all your assumptions about possible counters based on an unorganized group. Instead you should base counter on a worst case senario, an organized group, as long as its still reasonable, which in this case it is since the counters are effective with out having to go to unreasonable lengths to counter the it. I still think they need to change something with how alliance battles start, but untill they do I would take a counter if you can.

Kalidri
03-08-2006, 01:24
Yep...I am still packing a counter...I have my terrifying 14pt eoe. I just want to use it just once, then I shall be happy :D

Xavatar
03-08-2006, 13:40
The video was real funny...could be longer though.
I think this EoE thingy is not an exploit, but it does take the fun out of ABs. I mean you will get satisfaction from having some sort of untold cooperation and teamwork between teams. But reaping in points so quickly will everyone bored, and people will rage-quit. The fun is in fighting and capping and facing a good opponent.

Patccmoi
03-08-2006, 17:17
Rupture/Consume/etc. is definitely the easiest and straightest counters. But this is obviously quite lame for your side still. They are playing 8v12, and will just lose even if they counter you.

I don't mind EoE mid-fight, but having it up before game starts is just griefing. Yes, you can say that this problem should be brought to attention to ANet, but... why? Because little kids get their kick out of killing their own team? You know, just leaving the game at start is extremely likely to make your team lose too. People will always find a way to grief, and this is not a 'clever' way to do it. Just a different one that might seem more funny but has actually absolutely no different end result as 4 people insulting their team for 60 seconds and then leaving. Fix that they can't leave without having some sort of penalty? For most penalties (no faction gain, faction penalty, etc.) griefers won't care and will take it. If they are harsher (banned for 30 min for example) they will simply stay there and insult their team for the full duration of the game, possibly suiciding themselves in cap points to make the other team win faster. It is the exact same problem, and does the exact same thing, and really i don't see how it's worth 'bringing the problem to attention'. If they fixed that you can't die before timer starts, then people that want to grief will just enter and leave. If they put a penalty for leaving, they'll stay in game and suicide while insulting their team. The only difference your build makes is giving the other team 60 points before game starts, but afterward it's the same close to impossible to win 8v12. These 60 points don't change anything. Even if you rez and keep doing it, it won't change much at all as if you just left, except you lose more time and griefers usually want to piss off as many people as possible so they'd rather find a new game.

You could leave for 1000 games in a row and say you're trying to bring this problem to ANet's attention, but really it's just pointless. If you want to grief, you'll find a way to grief, it's just how online games are. And they can't make 1000 penalties and rules to prevent griefing, at a point you just gotta accept that griefers exist and will always find a way to grief. At some point they might grow up and get bored of it, but others will replace them. Just don't make a sad excuse of trying to help the community when you do.

Illbetyouhateme
03-08-2006, 20:47
Its not the same as just leaving, though that too would more then likly make your team lose. After you die you are not rezed at the start of the match. This is enought time for the kurzicks to cap ALL of the bases and win a 500-0 victory. I saw it several times and with just 8 player that have any sort of skill at all that would not have happened. At the very least Anet should make it so you rez at the start of the match don't you think? And it would be little to ask that points can't be gained before the match. Those are simple changes that almost eliminate the problem with out altering anything for the normal player. Also don't mistake that I don't think my team and I were being a complete a**h***s. It started as a practical joke but after seeing the devistating effects (and having a blast, not going to lie on that one) we decide to get people to report us and have a little more fun (we were and are confident that no bannings will occur). Let me tell you it gets boring fast though, after a few it wasn't fun. Looks like our plan didn't work seeing as it did change anything. Also just for the record we did it for a large amount of time, but only for one night, after which we didn't do it again because any further action would be pointless. Also I still stress that I am sorry to the luxon that we encounted and now, since no changes occured, the community since this somewhat popularized the idea and is ruining more peoples gameplay experiance.

MAdnRisKy
04-08-2006, 11:47
Its not the same as just leaving, though that too would more then likly make your team lose. After you die you are not rezed at the start of the match. This is enought time for the kurzicks to cap ALL of the bases and win a 500-0 victory. I saw it several times and with just 8 player that have any sort of skill at all that would not have happened. At the very least Anet should make it so you rez at the start of the match don't you think? And it would be little to ask that points can't be gained before the match. Those are simple changes that almost eliminate the problem with out altering anything for the normal player. Also don't mistake that I don't think my team and I were being a complete a**h***s. It started as a practical joke but after seeing the devistating effects (and having a blast, not going to lie on that one) we decide to get people to report us and have a little more fun (we were and are confident that no bannings will occur). Let me tell you it gets boring fast though, after a few it wasn't fun. Looks like our plan didn't work seeing as it did change anything. Also just for the record we did it for a large amount of time, but only for one night, after which we didn't do it again because any further action would be pointless. Also I still stress that I am sorry to the luxon that we encounted and now, since no changes occured, the community since this somewhat popularized the idea and is ruining more peoples gameplay experiance.

I'll say what pat was saying in a less polite fashion.

"you weren't the first, you won't be the last (omg EoE bomb lawlz I'm so ingenious), nothing you're doing is bettering anyone, there isn't any nobility in continuing to be an asshat to 'show anet what's what'. You're not big and you're not clever"

And to add a personal note:

*yawn*

Savsuds
04-08-2006, 13:18
Problem with not ressing in Alliance battles due to EoE has been reported to Anet almost 2 weeks ago. Some problems might be harder to fix, then a simple line of script, so have some patience.

If you doubt Anet knows about this, keep doing it to make yourselves stand out. It is odd how some of the people doing this rarely ever detail how they do this to Anet, so that they could get a proper fix in earlier. Claims to bring an exploit to Anet's attention by constantly doing it, but only amusing yourselves is not helping fix the problem.

Illbetyouhateme
04-08-2006, 20:17
I'll say what pat was saying in a less polite fashion.

"you weren't the first, you won't be the last (omg EoE bomb lawlz I'm so ingenious), nothing you're doing is bettering anyone, there isn't any nobility in continuing to be an asshat to 'show anet what's what'. You're not big and you're not clever"

And to add a personal note:

*yawn*

Yes, thats partially it and that why we did it once and never did it or plan to do it again ever. One night and we were done because no more was needed. Yes we were "asshat"s, but we were not trying to push Anet around, just inform, the decsion is as always up to them. We want it to be changed a certain way, but its nothing more then suggestion. Also we though we would be the last because it seemed like a simple change that they would make within a few days. So we decided to make sure that they knew about it by bombing the hell out of the luxons for one night. We were clearly wrong in retrospect. I think ether they don't care or they are too busy on nightfall or other issues.
Edit: Also other team members did contact Anet with specifics.

The Stiehl
05-08-2006, 20:00
So you're saying you were griefing on purpose so that ANet would pay attention to you and nerf EoE? And you're proud of that fact? OK, just wanted some clarification.

epsoul
06-08-2006, 05:23
I've got a better idea. How about all of the people who use eoe bombs in AB just stop so you don't need to rez before the match at all. Stuff like this doesn't need to be fixed if people don't exploit it.

Illbetyouhateme
07-08-2006, 19:52
So you're saying you were griefing on purpose so that ANet would pay attention to you and nerf EoE? And you're proud of that fact? OK, just wanted some clarification.

Not proud of it and I already said it was a mistake in retrospect because of its failure to complete anything positive. Also I am not calling for a nerf to any of the skills used just in the way the the start of ab works.

I've got a better idea. How about all of the people who use eoe bombs in AB just stop so you don't need to rez before the match at all. Stuff like this doesn't need to be fixed if people don't exploit it.

Yeah but people do and will exploit it. Its the nature of exploits to be exploited for profit or entertainment value. You can't just tell every one to stop because they probably won't. Again I only did it one night, never did or plan to do it again, so we stopped but since there's still an issue I assume some people have not. We had no idea we were starting something because we were sure (incorrectly) it would be nerfed the next day.

I do think they should at least fix the fact that you don't rez at the start of the match that seems to me like a glitch. Untill then fix it (if they fix it) bring a spell that can destroy Spirits, protect your self or another spirit that can counter eoe (weaker eoe, union, etc).

Patccmoi
07-08-2006, 20:12
Yeah but people do and will exploit it. Its the nature of exploits to be exploited for profit or entertainment value.

While this is true, at a point i think it's fine too.

This isn't really an 'exploit' as it doesn't give you anything. You don't gain anything at all by doing this, you kill your team, that's it. If it allowed you to gain faction, etc. then it would need a fix because people WOULD exploit it. As of now, it's not an exploit at all, it's just an immature thing to do.

You sound as if you never played other games online like RTS, FPS, etc. In most of them, if you want to kill your allies directly, well you can. I know before playing GW i was a big WC3 player, and if you did some Random Team there, there was always some chances that your ally would simply attack your troops and you'd lose. But it didn't happen much, because they don't gain anything from it. Some immature people do it, but you don't see them too often so it's only a minor problem and you live with it, because griefing will always be part of online games. At a point, you just can't prevent a guy from closing his computer and screw up his allies in the process! And going for heavy penalty on connection loss, drops, etc. will result in lower game quality for most 'honest' players while hardly fixing the problem of griefers because they will do something else. Hell, at a point they can just play extremely bad on purpose, using a total random mix of skills and putting 0 in every attribute, and is ANet supposed to penalize that too?!

At a point a company has to just accept that some griefing is possible, and honestly GW is low on the griefing you can do. Sure you can leave game, or suicide yourself (which makes absolutely no difference from leaving the game for your team) but you can't ever directly kill your allies appart from EoE bomb. And this require coordination from many people which will lead in even less griefing occurance, because few organized groups are immature enough to waste their time griefing when it gives them absolutely no benefit.

Should they waste their time fixing a problem that just won't fix anything anyway (because griefers can still grief by leaving, etc.), or just accept that griefers exist and work on more game material? I think they're making the right choice.

Xunlai Agent
08-08-2006, 16:30
There will be griefers in any part of the game or world anywhere you go..
Exactly and this will not change it is in the nature of online gaming so let#s not worry about it anymore...

JodoKast
08-08-2006, 17:48
Just like any other grieving scenario, the griefer's objective is to enjoy the hate thrown at him/her when he executes his action.

By far the best way to deal with the situation is to ignore the smart guy altogether. If you reply in answer to his mass suicide, you make his/her day.

It is not like anything is on the line either. It doesn't make any difference for you if your team lost 500-0 to the other because some ally killed the whole team. You simply go again and forget about it :)

Kitt
08-08-2006, 20:02
well, I guess that it could be worse

lol, I lost count of how many times a "Kurzick" turncoat put down an EoE spirit right by the gatekeepers and Gunther during Aspenwood:rolleyes: :duh:

Peace

Kitt

Savsuds
08-08-2006, 21:17
well, I guess that it could be worse

lol, I lost count of how many times a "Kurzick" turncoat put down an EoE spirit right by the gatekeepers and Gunther during Aspenwood:rolleyes: :duh:

Peace

Kitt
Actually I have done something similar to that. I sometimes go in on the Luxon side and drop an EoE that barely dips into the Kurzick Base, so as to effect the Luxon attackers more. I do this only to extend the battle and love killing those that manage to come outside and try to run amber. The waiting between battles there is too long just to have a quick Luxon Masacre.

halfthought
15-08-2006, 03:02
yeah, eoe is pretty broken right now in AB's

Darakus
16-08-2006, 16:52
EoE is not broken it works as intended.

In an ideal world Guildwars would be smart enough to identify these people as spies and render them unable to fight on one side as a consequence this for a period of time. Unfortunately this is not the case and as such those actions have to be considered as grief because unplanned for in the game mechanics it goes the same with people stealing items (scamming) if the game had taken it into account they would have been arrested, put in prison and the items would then have been given back to the owner (all of this in-game of course) as it isn't the case they are reported and actions are taken.

So please if you are going to abuse game mechanics for your own fun don't use role-playing as an excuse, if there are no in-game consequences for your abuse then it is not meant to be part of the game.

Domina Spellbinder
18-08-2006, 17:57

Was hit by the super nerf-bat, so I think Anet thinked it was being abused after all.

darkphantom
19-08-2006, 00:07

In an ideal world Guildwars would be smart enough to identify these people as spies and render them unable to fight on one side as a consequence this for a period of time. Unfortunately this is not the case and as such those actions have to be considered as grief because unplanned for in the game mechanics it goes the same with people stealing items (scamming) if the game had taken it into account they would have been arrested, put in prison and the items would then have been given back to the owner (all of this in-game of course) as it isn't the case they are reported and actions are taken.

So please if you are going to abuse game mechanics for your own fun don't use role-playing as an excuse, if there are no in-game consequences for your abuse then it is not meant to be part of the game.

They fixed it most recent update. EoE bombs no longer work in AB battles like that.

To quote Guildwars.com
Modified Edge of Extinction so that creatures must have less than 90% Health remaining in order to be affected.

No more AoE bombs.

plagatus
12-09-2006, 19:48
They fixed it most recent update. EoE bombs no longer work in AB battles like that.

To quote Guildwars.com
Modified Edge of Extinction so that creatures must have less than 90% Health remaining in order to be affected.

No more AoE bombs.

More like no more EoE period. The purpose of EoE was to deal damage to samelike foes in a given area. Now, since all foes won't have damage to them, EoE is useless except for the group you're fighting which would typically be no more than 5 at any given time. Either way, it's useless.

I Orca I
13-09-2006, 06:34
Huzzah ^ ^

evilmdgetpenguin
03-11-2006, 02:11
EoE is now nerfed. You can't die unless you are belown 90% health. Hope this helps.

FlyingHippo
13-11-2006, 03:15
I realize this is over and done with.

The point of this was not to grief. It was a statement. Basically they were just trying to report this glitch so that it would get nerfed. And honestly I give you kudos for what you did.