PDA

View Full Version : The AoE IW Dervish (speculative DeMe build)

arredondo
26-07-2006, 19:23
Well as of today we haven't yet seen any skills for the new classes, but I'm going to put my blindfold and thinking cap on to try to make a Dervish/Mesmer build based on the stuff that's been reported so far. I wonder how close I'll be? If it works, it'll be fun in PvP but especially nice in PvE:

=============================
AoE IW Dervish (DeMe)

Mysticism: 14
Illusion: 11
Earth Prayers: 11

Illusionary Weapon: 32 damage per swing for 30s (38s with +20% enchant mod)
Distortion: Evade 75% of physical attacks for 5s, -2E per whiff
Illusion of Haste: Removes Cripple, is a 10s enchantment of +33% speed, and you are Crippled for 15s at the end (lasts 12s with +20% enchant mod)

<Scythe Mastery AoE Attack #1>
<Scythe Mastery AoE Attack #2>
<Scythe Mastery AoE Attack #3 -or- IAS skill -or- AoE melee spell>
<Earth Prayers healing skill>
Rez

Bring a scythe weapon of course, with a +5E and +20% enchant mods. Wear energy armor if it is expensive to run, or extra AL armor if otherwise.
=============================

The build works like this...

Feel free to keep Illusion of Haste on you for most of the match. According to Arena.net's latest postings on the Dervish, you'll get +42HP and +7E whenever it ends. This is GREAT for this skill because it'll only cost a net -3E every 12s to upkeep. This gives you a near permanent +33% speed to chase down enemies with your IW, or to run from pursuers like Touch Rangers and Sprint Warriors (you're faster). You also have a way to always get rid of any Cripple someone places on you.

Now that you have awesome mobility, turn on IW and hack away at your enemies. If the reports from Gamespot are true, there are Dervish melee skills that hit multiple enemies with the scythe. I figure those skills will be in the weapon's attribute, and there's no need to put points in that line if this is so. Simply bring three of the fastest recharging AoE attack skills and use them in the middle of a crowd.... everyone around you will be hit for IW damage.

The two exceptions to bringing three of these attack skills is if there is an IAS skill like Flurry, or a spell that allow all attacks to be AoE for a period of time. Example: "For the next 10s, all of your attacks will hit any foes adjacent to you." You'll definitely want these kind of great attack helpers on your bar if they exist, otherwise just keep three AoE attacks.

Defense is pretty solid here. You can permanately kite with IoH, you have Distortion for melee and arrows, and you have one decent Earth heal spell from the list that Arena.net gives us.

Yes it's all speculation but it'll be cool if this works. If it doesn't, I can just blame Arena.net for reading this thread and nerfing it before it's released. :tongue:

critical vengeance
26-07-2006, 21:24
be cool, and intresting, will have to see the speed though, could be slow like hammers... or slower, not sure of that aspect yet

Patccmoi
27-07-2006, 04:11
Ya, the idea is pretty much the same as dagger attack skills making you hit faster.

I gotta say though, not too sure how this will work out. Scythe are likely to have an attack speed similar to hammer, and at 30 IW damage, i think you'll actually do LESS damage than the Scythe would. Ofc you don't miss and everything, but you don't get the effects either. Overall, i'm really not sure it'll be worth it.

critical vengeance
27-07-2006, 04:20
yeah espcially how removing iw destroys you... and i gotta admit it is easy to remove :P, i mean in allaince battles people don't seem to cover them well, and i drain em and they then would do like 2 damage, so would the scythe, i just don't think anthing really beats the normal iw mesmer with like cyclone chop and or sword attacks

Azgalon
27-07-2006, 06:52
be cool, and intresting, will have to see the speed though, could be slow like hammers... or slower, not sure of that aspect yet

Standard-attacks may be slow (like hammer), but what are the recharges on the PbAOE Shytheswings? :D

It's all about the skills! :)

When Arredondo has swung his third skill, maybe the first have recharged?

Patccmoi
27-07-2006, 14:45
Standard-attacks may be slow (like hammer), but what are the recharges on the PbAOE Shytheswings? :D

It's all about the skills! :)

When Arredondo has swung his third skill, maybe the first have recharged?

The thing is though, unless Scythe attacks do really bad damage (i doubt it), is it really worth it to pick IW? Ofc it saves you from blind and block/evade (though there is many ways to go through block/evade), but it also limits your damage to 32. 32 is actually quite low damage for a melee attack, especially if you're not swinging fast. Since it's pretty likely to see them with attack skills doing +24-42 damage + base scythe damage (which is likely to be between a bow and a hammer), you'll be losing a lot of damage by turning IW, and people don't tend to stay close enough for AOE to work all the time.

IW relies on very high DPS, and AOE attacks don't really add that. Same reason you don't see IW hammers. Simply put, you hit about 1/3-1/2 of the damage your hammer would actually do.

arredondo
27-07-2006, 16:23
Slow attack speed could kill it I agree. That is unless it has an IAS, or if the Paragon has a global IAS shout which would be cool. The AoE effect it has on this build could help this concept a lot. Two of these on a team with a Paragon on the back calling out IAS would plow through mobs in record time I'll bet.

arredondo
28-07-2006, 05:46
Wow, my first look at the skill set and I see that there is an IAS!

Whirling Charge: For 3s - 11s, you move and attack 33% faster (stance).

It costs 15E though, so we'll see how well it works out. It's a Wind Prayer, so already the stats will change. I may replace Distortion with Mirage Cloak. It's an enchantment that lasts 10s for 50% evades, and does up to 70+ earth damage when it ends (10E, .25C, 5R).

EDIT:

SAND SHARDS!!!! This is an IW player's dream... for each attack that you MISS, all nearby foes take up to 25 damage. Plus it lasts 30s and is a 5E cost, 1s cast and a 5s recharge making it the PERFECT Illusionary Weapon cover. As long as all my other attacks are getting a lot of AoE damage, then this should be awesome to play as I predicted.

Plus you can combine it with Signet of Piety, which gives you up to 120 HP for no energy cost. If this skill strips an enchant, it instantly recharges so every 5s you can heal up for 5E with Sand Shards.

The Crazy Weasel
28-07-2006, 05:57
its joyous to say the least, but it has MAJOR energy management problems if you cast some of the sweet wind attacks along with IW'ing, i didnt notice the IAS, ill have to try that!

EDIT:

you dont even need ANY scythe attacks, the auto-attack is nearby range AOE... perfecton, utter perfection

Azure Eyes
28-07-2006, 06:20
Extend enchantments is gonna be good with iw too, plus they added another form of illusion of weakness. God help those poor pve monsters out there. IW dervs might be the new nukers.

arredondo
28-07-2006, 06:56
its joyous to say the least, but it has MAJOR energy management problems if you cast some of the sweet wind attacks along with IW'ing, i didnt notice the IAS, ill have to try that!

EDIT:

you dont even need ANY scythe attacks, the auto-attack is nearby range AOE... perfecton, utter perfection

Yeah, I noticed that right now... scratch those off the list for healing skills! However Twin Moon Strike is still awesome... you get a quick twin swing attempt, like an Assasin's Dual Attack. That means if my IW does 34 damage per swing and I have SS up as my enchant cover (25 damage AoE per whiff), I can do 120 IW damage AoE from one attack. :wink:

Kjentei
28-07-2006, 07:31
IW + Sand Shards = Genius. Plus your build is pwnz0r0z. /kneel at arredondo's feet!

arredondo
28-07-2006, 08:04
IW+SS doesn't work sadly. A miss is not the same aas "does no damage".

Apok Omni
28-07-2006, 08:13
Woof. Sorry to hear that, Arre. But do not fret. There are many D/ or /D builds out there. You will get to make an even better one.

arredondo
28-07-2006, 08:16
No worries, I made a fake IW build (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=413065)instead. It's the same thing but without IW on the build at all!

Apok Omni
28-07-2006, 08:26
Well, Me/A is still the best IW Mesmer. Dervish has enough damage output. Maybe people would actually try out my R/D Slasher build, but sadly no one even replied...:sad: