PDA

View Full Version : Ps and Ds running rampant in GVGs

SteveLord
28-07-2006, 09:45
just when i thought i get away from the circus that is RA/TA...

facing the prebuilds allnight. and getting rolled by them.

anyone come up with "proven" effective counters to them?

Servant of Kali
28-07-2006, 11:42
Anti-warrior necro and mesmer? Ward? Standard stuff?

Khaunshar
28-07-2006, 12:49
Actually, the D/Me prebuild is counter to the P/Rit build, due to its elite :p

Generally, countering a Dervish is simple enough .... dont stay together. With Drain Enchant, or Break enchant, you can quickly neuter them. Its really not a good prebuild for the most part as its really vulnerable to Mesmers.

Paragon/Rit build, and variations thereof, are pretty strong in a cohesive team that stays together. I cant really recommend a good counter yet, except Blind and/or Empathy , which reduces them to runspeed and fire chants.

tarutaru
28-07-2006, 14:09
Exactly. Just whip out the tried-and-true N/Me or Me/N melee shutdown builds and you'll roll any team this weekend.

Domina Spellbinder
28-07-2006, 14:24
Yay, I love warrior shutdown! Lately i've been facing way too many casters with my caster :P

SteveLord
29-07-2006, 01:26
no, its not that easy. try going up against 4 of them + pets.

they arent just run of the mill melee units.

Ace Bear
29-07-2006, 02:47
P: Shadow of Fear is nice. Stops them from going uber-crazy fast attack speed. Or let them go crazy with that speed and put a SS on them. Their pets do ok damage but you could always dp them to nothing-ness while you Aegis chain your team. Or if not Aegis, blind, wards then bakc up forcing them to fire from them.

D: Just e-denial em. Stripping their enchantments just gives them energy plus their enchants recharge much quicker then your enchant removal. They aren't hard to spike out except when they go avatar and can have loads of health.

tarutaru
29-07-2006, 05:22
no, its not that easy. try going up against 4 of them + pets.

they arent just run of the mill melee units.

Yes, it is that easy. For proving this I went into RA as a Necro/Mesmer, landed into a team of two Dervishes and a Paragon (obviously making me prime target), and we faced team after team of ONLY melee classes (W/A/P/R/D).

Now, considering that I was the only squishy target on the entire playingfield, one would think that I would drop dead almost immediately, right?

Wrong. Skill bar was: Enfeeble, Spiteful Spirit, Empathy, Insidious Parasite, Clumsiness, Wastrel's Worry, Parasitic Bond.

I simply spread 'em out over all four players every round, than kited like there was no tomorrow, gaining health boosts from ParaBond all along the way. My teammates simply cleaned up their 1/3 left healthbars. Don't want to go the offensive route?

This build worked just as effectively: Wail of Doom, Enfeeble, Faintheartedness, Spirit of Failure, Reckless Haste, Parasitic Bond, Drain Enchantment.

Phoenixtech
29-07-2006, 05:59
Yes, it is that easy. For proving this I went into RA as a Necro/Mesmer, landed into a team of two Dervishes and a Paragon (obviously making me prime target), and we faced team after team of ONLY melee classes (W/A/P/R/D).

Now, considering that I was the only squishy target on the entire playingfield, one would think that I would drop dead almost immediately, right?

Wrong. Skill bar was: Enfeeble, Spiteful Spirit, Empathy, Insidious Parasite, Clumsiness, Wastrel's Worry, Parasitic Bond.

I simply spread 'em out over all four players every round, than kited like there was no tomorrow, gaining health boosts from ParaBond all along the way. My teammates simply cleaned up their 1/3 left healthbars. Don't want to go the offensive route?

This build worked just as effectively: Wail of Doom, Enfeeble, Faintheartedness, Spirit of Failure, Reckless Haste, Parasitic Bond, Drain Enchantment.

You can't compare experiences in RA with that of GvG where people have MONK backlines and utility chars with hex removals.

sneakyrobber
29-07-2006, 19:57
I would say run a heavy hex build. Specifically ones that slow and degen. I havnt faced any gvg builds with this yet (havnt gvged in a few days) but that should defentally cut them down a bit.

Selene Raseth
29-07-2006, 23:36
I was doing ne/me curses with domination and 6 pts in inspiration. Used parasitic, enfeeble, FH, Energy Drain, Insidious Parasite, Empathy, Backfire, Res Sig. Mostly focused on making dervishes hurt when they attack, then lay down enfeeble and FH on everyone else to keep them from dealing damage. The main kill with insidious and empathy on them should not catch FH. Backfire is great for the rare time you see a monk on the other team, and watching them try to get rid of it when it's buried under many hexes is kind cute to watch.

Next thing I'm gonna try is blood spike with elite of martyr. Stay far away and make sure ViM fails to get the dervish anything :)

viegas
30-07-2006, 02:41
If you're talking about the P/R, which are the only build (IMO) good enough for gvg, try a bonder... After all, they do 100% fisical damage.

SteveLord
30-07-2006, 03:13
there's a guy here advising Backfire for monks in GVG.........come on.

there are 8 man Dervish teams farming GVGs lol.

Aemchair Warrior
30-07-2006, 05:49
well...i find that my echo SS pve build works pretty well against dervishes. that, and if you are a necro and have very high curses, bring desecrate enchantments or its factions clone. i've hit dervs for well over 100 damage with this lovely little spell. and because it doesnt remove enchants, you can arcane echo it and hit them twice for a big damage spike.

Ace Bear
30-07-2006, 21:23
Well now, that is an interesting idea. Many builds run 2 Necros comfortably(or at least a Me/n in there) and curses is a popular line. With all the enchantments the dervishes are carrying(and no interupt from what I have seen) 2 Descreate Enchants+ some side damage would tear them apart. And descreate enchants works vs the enchantment heavy monks out there as well. Personally I would Descreate then use Expunge then finish him off.

Wards vs elements can finally see some light seeing as all that aoe dmg is elemental then the dmg they do after they put up the enchants is elemental dmg.