PDA

View Full Version : What's with Paragons and their Pyromaniac Skills?

Adslahnit
30-07-2006, 11:16
Just take a look at some of the Paragon's skills and you'll notice something's going on with all of the skills that involve burning. Let's see what we have here:

Leadership

"They're on Fire!" - Shout. For 20 seconds, allies within earshot take 5...41% less damage from foes suffering from Burning.

Anthem of Flame - Chant. For 10 seconds, the next attack skill used by each ally within earshot also causes Burning for 1...3 seconds.

Blazing Finale - Echo. For 10...30 seconds, whenever a Chant or Shout ends on target ally, all foes adjacent to that ally are set on fire for 1...3 seconds.

Burning Refrain - Echo. For 20 seconds, if target ally hits a foe with more Health than that ally, that foe is set on fire for 1...3 seconds. This Echo is reapplied every time a Chant or Shout ends on that ally.

Glowing Signet - Signet. If target foe is Burning, you gain 5...13 Energy.

Spear Mastery

Blazing Spear - Spear Attack. If this attack hits, it dealts +5...25 damage and sets target foe on fire for 1...3 second(s).

No Attribute

Cautery Signet (E) - Elite Signet. All party members lose all Conditions. You are set on Fire for 1 second for each Condition removed in this way.

Well it seems that Paragon's just LOVE playing with fire. I don't ever recall reading about angels that set everything (including themselves) on fire, and shouting "They're on Fire!"

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire...

Vunduin
30-07-2006, 11:58
They are literally burning with the passion for battle and leadership.

OsirisThain
30-07-2006, 12:27
uh huh. yeah sure.

They are obviously angels from hell:)

NeferJackal
30-07-2006, 12:29
A pyromaniac paragon would duo EXTREMELY well with a fragility casting mesmer, given the short duration of the burning inflicted. Then add in some spammable attack skills to rapidly trigger anthem of flame and drive the damage from fragility through the roof. Burning will be spammed so rapidly that noone will be able to keep up removing it, and if they do manage to remove some, fragility kicks in. And have Theyre on Fire! To reduce the damage output of the opposition while they burn to cinders.

Also you could throw in a necromancer with Virulence to further complicate matters, stacking even more conditions on the unlucky victims.

shadow the hero
30-07-2006, 12:36
Ever seen the Start of the Movie "Gladiator"?. where The Commander shouts to the Archers, to use Flaming Arrows, and Catapults with Oil :)

It's a Battle Commander

Heath Laron
30-07-2006, 12:39
I love the movie Gladiator. :)

Now as far as the Paragons are concerned... this is fun. BURN, BURN, BURN!

More fun than a Pyromancer was. BURN BOY!

MrRock
30-07-2006, 13:18
Fire and Brimstone anyone?

shamed
30-07-2006, 15:00
All I can say is that it finally makes more sense to put points into Protection for Extinguish's health bonus.

NeferJackal
30-07-2006, 15:48
Extinguish might be a good counter to Paragon with fiery songs, though it has a hefty recharge of 10 seconds and costs 15 energy and may not be up to removing rapidly stacked burning. Without knowing you will figth burners, it is quite a specialized and expensive counterskill you may never get the full use out of. And there is better skills to remove conditions from your party. Monks possesses Martyr to take conditions from all party members, though it will be potentially a quite hefty amount of conditions recieved, and if you get a daze, it might not be very healthy for you.

Coincindentally, Paragons have a condition removal skill that might be better than Martyr. Also elite, Cautery Signet, removes all conditions from party, sets you on fire for 1 second per condition removed. The important thing to note, is that you only will have to deal with one condition here. and not a massive load at once. So even if it has a slightly longer recharge, I think Cautery Signet is superior to Martyr.

I think Extinguish has a role in missions where you can expect to have to deal with large loads of monsters or enviroment inflicting burning. It is too unpredictable for pvp.

Slygar
30-07-2006, 15:59
P/E with glyph of energy and mark of rodgort, and firey spears :)

NeferJackal
30-07-2006, 16:12
Well, a Paragon wouldnt need Mark of Rodgot, since he have so many other skills that inflicts burning. Which at the same time is his energy management, the more that hears his fiery songs.

Blazing Spear sets the target aflame for 3 secs and hits for up to 25 damage, so no need for mark of rodgort.

daryan
30-07-2006, 16:20
But Mark of Rodgort has your target burning for 30 seconds. And Anthem of Flame can do the same thing as Blazing Spear with any other attack skill.

NeferJackal
30-07-2006, 16:30
Mark of Rodgort is too expensive for it's value, and if you want to take advantage of fragility, you need short duration burning, which the Paragons excells in inflicting through all party members with his songs.

It is a LOT of energy wasted for Mark of Rodgot if someone removes that long burning or the hex. Its better with lots of short burns that the Paragon can deliver through his party with their constant skill usage. Even if you remove some, you will get it right back in your face.

Also it should be noted, the Paragon would need a fiery head for his spear to be able to inflict fire damage. So far his skills only inflicts the burning condition, but appearently not actual fire damage.

Jhanto Gun
30-07-2006, 17:31
just remember though lightning will do more damage than fire, that armor penetration is a big plus. if they are angels and using elemental power, it looks like lightning will be ideal to use than fire. usually fire are from demons, hmmm maybe paragons are not angels at all...lol.

NeferJackal
30-07-2006, 17:43
Angels are fond of using flaming swords.

And fire is seen as a tool of purification, to burn away earthly sins, why do you think they burned witches on the stake in the dark ages?

Also remember that monks have the skill Zealot's Fire, which inflicts fire damage around the enchanted target when they use a skill.

And to use an example from WoW, Priests have a spell called Holy Fire.

Or Paladins in Diablo2 had the Holy Fire aura, that struck all nearby enemies with divine flames.

Or from Dante's Divine Comedy, the final and uppermost heaven, the Empyrean, he describes it as the heaven of living flames.

OsirisThain
30-07-2006, 20:52
0.o

Quick NURSE!!! He's swallowed all the RPG guide books, and a history book!!!

:P

Erasculio
30-07-2006, 21:53
Angels are fond of using flaming swords.

And fire is seen as a tool of purification, to burn away earthly sins, why do you think they burned witches on the stake in the dark ages?

I agree, that's also why I think the Paragon have some burning skills - if they're the "guardian Angel of Elonia", nothing better than to give them command over the cleansing element.

(Besides, the Dervishes command Earth and Air, the Paragons command Fire...And there's no Water anywhere since they're in a desert :laugh: )

Erasculio

shamed
30-07-2006, 23:13
I think Extinguish has a role in missions where you can expect to have to deal with large loads of monsters or enviroment inflicting burning. It is too unpredictable for pvp.

Since Factions has come out, I have not played a single instance of 8v8 PvP without there having been Extinguish on the team. I disagree completely when you say that it is too unpredictable for PvP. Do you know how useful party-wide condition removal is? You can remove conditions from halfway across the radar without having to resort to an elite skill. Tainted Flesh suddenly loses a lot of its efficacy when the opposing team can cast a single spell to completely negate the effects of disease. And now with the re-emergence of ViM (for some awful reason), Extinguish helps greatly when your RC prot monk is being blacked out/Signet of Humiltied.

Zion Farbow
30-07-2006, 23:18
Paragons are FIRE BATS or a BLOODMAGE (from wc3tft) Burning..with vengeance..=_= xD

InvictusBlood
31-07-2006, 00:48
Well I didn't read the whole post so if this was mentioned already, my appologies.

I think the whole fire thing is fitting. They are considered Angels after all. If you read many religious texts that involve Angels, they are often soldiers of their Diety. Look at the old testiment after all. Michael used a sword of FIRE to fight in the name of the lord. God's wrath was brought on by fire falling from the sky.

Not only that, but some of their fire skills actually set themselves on fire. If this isn't self sacrifice for their god, then I don't know what is.

Zion Farbow
31-07-2006, 00:51
which type of fire is it? the one that consumes or just stays there and inflict damage but doesnt consume?

cacocacacola
06-08-2006, 03:53
Dervishes use cold and earth, Paragons use fire and lightning (if Lightning Spear isn't the only skill that uses it come release). Makes sense I think.

Dulin
06-08-2006, 17:58
I don't know whether I like all this or not. On the one hand, more burning is always good. On the other hand, my pyromaniac W/E with Burning Speed and Immolate is feeling mighty jealous...

Mr Panda
06-08-2006, 20:00
Dervishes use cold and earth, Paragons use fire and lightning (if Lightning Spear isn't the only skill that uses it come release). Makes sense I think.

I would be very very very suprised if the PVP preview skills were the only skills...

And yeah, its very appropriate, this game has needed some

Smiting Firey Flaming Burning Vengeful Wrath. (tm)

for a long time.

And the monk Smiting line really doesn't cut it :cry:

Akirai Annuvil
07-08-2006, 11:25
Hey Dervishes are all with Death and Cold, and Paragons are all with Warmth and Light :) I see some opposites here :D

mysticangelkin
08-08-2006, 06:51
in some forms of mysticism, angels represent spiritual fire. seraph has the meaning of fiery serpent, and the cherubs guarding are said to hold flame swords, representing the path in the tree of life. Michael is associated with elemental fire in most modern occultism, such as your hermetic style magics. uriel means "fire of God". so yeah, angels can play with fire. quite well.

MaximumSquid
08-08-2006, 13:52
literally burning with the passion QFT

They are burning with passion.

Mr Panda
08-08-2006, 14:06
Also consider they were meant to be powerful against hexes and conditions, which they are. Fire is considered cleansing and purifying in many cultures, and it is in ways...so yea...fire is FTW.
Now where did I put my FDS...

highjinx
10-08-2006, 20:59
cautery signet FTW i think- what better condition remover is there? doesnt it affect the entire party??

Granted you might be set on fire for like 10-20 seconds if your party is really heavily dowsed in conditions... but that is why they make plague touch...

Pa/N woot woot

Me, Im looking forward to either playing a Pa/W so I can put my perfect zodiac shield to use (found it myself on elite weekend yay) and get the benifit of cross-class adrenaline usage and really Shout up a storm...

Gordon Michael
11-08-2006, 02:16
They are literally burning with the passion for battle and leadership.
Yep, you can be pretty sure that Balthazar's their main patron.

just remember though lightning will do more damage than fire, that armor penetration is a big plus. if they are angels and using elemental power, it looks like lightning will be ideal to use than fire. usually fire are from demons, hmmm maybe paragons are not angels at all...lol.
No it doesn't. The AP is a property of numerous Air Magic spells, as well as Spear of Lightning, not an inherent property of all lightning damage. Most Channeling Magic spells do lightning damage and not one of them has AP, shocking weapon upgrades don't give AP either.

skaspaakssa
12-08-2006, 23:23
As a rit, when I first saw Cautery Signet my first instinct was something like: =O I can be a Rt/P and combo that with Resilient was Xiko and Resilient Weapon!!! So I spent 3k faction on it, and then silly me realized that Martyr would work way better. I also wondered about all that fire - I thought it would be more befitting for an angel to have air or lightning kinds of things, but oh well.

Sephirius
13-08-2006, 03:22
Well it seems that Paragon's just LOVE playing with fire. I don't ever recall reading about angels that set everything (including themselves) on fire, and shouting "They're on Fire!"

Ahh but there are angels like that, they are referred to as Seraphim or Seraph. Told to be angels that are so bright that anything near them is instantly set ablaze and to look at them would blind you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraph#Seraphim_in_Christian_theology