PDA

View Full Version : [Elonian Lore] The Way to Elona!

elendil di Camelot
06-08-2006, 21:53
first of all: i'm italian, so sorry 4 bad english XD

i was exploring the crystal desert....and i have find a " road to elonia "( but it cannot be explorate )

http://img279.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gw127ya2.jpg

( here u can see the road, near elona reach...it is marked with a red color)

the road is very long, and at the end of the road, u can see something like a River with a lake ( it is marked with a blue color) ( u can see the river here: http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gw126ij5.jpg )

so...i think this is the way to elonia ! and the river should be the " River Elon"...what do u think?XD

Quintus Antonius
06-08-2006, 22:14
Wow,would you look at that. It does rather look like a road or dry riverbed.

All I can really say is good find and we have to wait till Nightfall to confirm or deny your find.

Gmr Leon
07-08-2006, 23:04
The two places you circled,I'm not sure of why you did so. Anyway,the path you marked DOES look somewhat like a trail or dried riverbed. Definitely an interesting find.

captain lucky
07-08-2006, 23:07
Would seem strange though of anet to put this detail into it on day one if they knew they would be making this expansion pack or one of similar design but good find anyway

Drec Sutal
07-08-2006, 23:15
It could be the way, I guess, but it could also be a mountain ridge, or a completly unrelated riverbed/road. I didn't exactly get the impression that the elonians exactly did a lot of traveling to and from the crystal desert before they left it, but I did get the impression that while they did elona reach was on the sea, sugesting a port entry.

After all, very few civilizations are really landlocked, at least sucessfull ones like elona, so the Elonians probably have a sea port (also, we will travel to the main city by the "boat" that goes to LA, kaineng, and GtoB). As such, it's probably safer and cheaper to go by sea from elona to the crystal desert then over deadly land like the desert. Also, it has been a long time in the "ever shifting dunes" so I don't think we'd see any road they left. seriously, look at the pyrimids in Egypt, and they weren't really that long ago.

Quintus Antonius
07-08-2006, 23:26
Look south of what he circled. I believe you can see the outlines of what was once the Thristy River, leading southeast towards the probable location of Elona.

Drec Sutal
07-08-2006, 23:33
Hrm... further south there does seem to be a better defined river bed. That could easily be a river that once ran through elona, but I got the feeling that the river Elon still ran, with like water. Also, as per the port we must sail to through our current intercontenental boat system, there must be another port city in Elona. (though the elonians could have come down that river while it still ran)

elendil di Camelot
08-08-2006, 00:10
As such, it's probably safer and cheaper to go by sea from elona to the crystal desert then over deadly land like the desert. Also, it has been a long time in the "ever shifting dunes" so I don't think we'd see any road they left. seriously, look at the pyrimids in Egypt, and they weren't really that long ago.

but we can't see any elonian ship in the desert...we can see only margonians ships....i suppose elonians went to the crystal desert trought the desert itself

EDIT: but, as u said, the desert's wind should have deleted the road(s) between elonia and the crystal desert....the one that i've discover should be the ruin of this road :shocked:

lavenbb
08-08-2006, 00:41
If the road is destroyed you won't even see ruins, it'll be under ground, covered by sand ^^"

As already suggested there's another similar "trail" directly east of thirsty river mission, both could have been the river, but there's not enough proof as of now.

Cronus Zephyr
08-08-2006, 00:46
From GuildWiki:
The province of Kourna borders the vast Crystal Desert... Kourna is the heart of Elona
The continent maybe named after the mighty river Elon that runs through it. Elona and Tyria are part of the same supercontinent.
Thus, that probably is a remander of some part of the Elon river, and Elona reach is aptly named.

Taken from guildwars.com
And in the rugged lands to the north, the Princes of Vabbi rule from their opulent citadels. That is probably the greenish colored mountains north of the postulated "lake"

We know Elona borders Tyria, specifically the crystal desert. Vabbi is likely located in the mountains, Kourna is definetly located in the desert, and noone really cares about the island province of Istan. Thats all I have to say. Oh, and with all the dead space in the Tyrian map, we could probably have another full chapter take place on the same map.

Seyfert
08-08-2006, 00:56
wow good find

Quintus Antonius
08-08-2006, 00:58
I doubt any of what you found are roads. Simply because they wouldn't be that wide, or that defined, after hundreds of years, being viewed from suborbit like the map is.

Odds are, all those lines are dried riverbeds, similar to......well everything else in the Desert.

Zaxares
08-08-2006, 02:47
Even if they are dry riverbeds, we cannot rule them out as a means of access to the Crystal Desert from Elona. The Nile was often used as a means of transport by the ancient Egyptians for ferrying goods up and down the river. There's nothing saying that the Margonites or even the Elonians might not have done the same (particularly if the desertification was caused by the Elonians' Weapon X, which might mean that there was still enough of a waterway coming into the desert to allow for river travel.)

Laibeus Lord
08-08-2006, 05:50
Good find.

Tho, some technicalities we must consider...
Each Campaign has its own "game suborbit view", so the Cyrstal Desert in Tyria can't be a part of the "Continent of Elona" which at the same time is the "Nation of Elona".

Probably, just probably, in the ancient past, the Cyrstal Desert in Tyria is a part of the long-dead "Empire of Elona". But today, it isn't.

Another technicality is that, they can't provide a new content in an old campaign for a new campaign. For sure many people will go whine again and will say they were cheated for their $50 coz ANet used an old area.

Back to the Lore perspective, I believe the Cyrstal Desert in Tyria is indeed part of the Continent of Tyria. If those were rivers or what not, they may be the "dried" part of some long river that extends to the continent East of Tyria.

Oh, one more technical thing, the "fogged" view of the map usually do not show the exact "unfogged" view. There are many parts both in C1 and C2 that when unfogged, is completely different from its fogged version. :) So those unfogged 'roads' or 'rivers' may be from an old plan, design, or just simply an "artistic design" or "random stroke" of the artist (or the computer).

Still, a very good find. Its a theory. :) But sadly, as with the other online games, the technical-view always interfere with the great Lore. :(

Empraim Wainwright
08-08-2006, 07:00
I agree that there are something there, I have had a theory that elona is east of the desert
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=413563

lavenbb
08-08-2006, 07:47
Good find.

Tho, some technicalities we must consider...
Each Campaign has its own "game suborbit view", so the Cyrstal Desert in Tyria can't be a part of the "Continent of Elona" which at the same time is the "Nation of Elona".

Probably, just probably, in the ancient past, the Cyrstal Desert in Tyria is a part of the long-dead "Empire of Elona". But today, it isn't.

Another technicality is that, they can't provide a new content in an old campaign for a new campaign. For sure many people will go whine again and will say they were cheated for their $50 coz ANet used an old area.

Back to the Lore perspective, I believe the Cyrstal Desert in Tyria is indeed part of the Continent of Tyria. If those were rivers or what not, they may be the "dried" part of some long river that extends to the continent East of Tyria.

Oh, one more technical thing, the "fogged" view of the map usually do not show the exact "unfogged" view. There are many parts both in C1 and C2 that when unfogged, is completely different from its fogged version. :) So those unfogged 'roads' or 'rivers' may be from an old plan, design, or just simply an "artistic design" or "random stroke" of the artist (or the computer).

Still, a very good find. Its a theory. :) But sadly, as with the other online games, the technical-view always interfere with the great Lore. :(

I believe chapter 3 will have it's own map, but the west side of it may be linked to the east of crystal desert (think two pieces of puzzle, un connected, but connectable).

On the other hand, I think the fogged view is quite accurate in showing landscape. The thing it does not show however, are artificial things such as buildings.

Darakus
08-08-2006, 08:00
Another technicality is that, they can't provide a new content in an old campaign for a new campaign. For sure many people will go whine again and will say they were cheated for their $50 coz ANet used an old area.(

I beg to disagree on this, nothing is stopping them of introducing a portal of some sort with a story about how tyrian archaeologist discovered ruins and started to extract them of the sands. They could also very well have it so that people not having Nightfall would simply not get access to these quests for communication.

I agree with you that some people would whine because it was implemented on the old map but you cannot forget the passage from Tyria through Cantha is done using such a quest and the passage from Cantha to Tyria has the passenger arrive in an area of Lion's arch modified for the purpose and that cannot be seen on the normal Tyrian player's map

This could be implemented for nightfall, you get a quest that lets you talk to an NPC that ports you to an instanced area, from there on that instanced area would be shown on your map because you have nightfall but it wouldn't show on the map of someone having only prophecies and the person wouldn't see any quests or portals. You could even have the area as an underground part of sorts that wouldn't show on any single maps.

This said it is indeed a nice find but could very well be one of the riverbeds that alimented the water that used to recover the crystal desert.

Laibeus Lord
08-08-2006, 11:10
Yep, I agree. But the problem lies with C3 only owners, they're not supposed to get access to a continent found in another Campaign, in this case it will be Tyria.

But of course, it is possible and nothing is stopping them. They also did it before. No PvP character can exit the old PvP arenas, they just get ported back to the same arena.

And I for one wants to see a 'land travel' option. Personally, not something like the "boat", something that literally connects the two continents - ie via Instance Zone-Maps. Let us uncover new zone-maps and the next portal will lead to the other continent already. ^_^

The fog, I noticed it with areas in Tyria and Cantha. The unfogged map shows something, but when unfogged it doesn't show it all. It is usually obvious when it comes to rivers. In both C1 and C2, there were unfogged areas that shows there is a river or a bay or lake, but when unfogged, no traces of water can be found.

Kyshen
08-08-2006, 20:58
haha, I'd never noticed the name 'elona reach' before now.. it just kinda skipped my attention. maybe they'd have some sort of camel train to link up the new areas, that way stopping C3 only players from reaching tyria.

I'd still think that the boat will be the easiest and most probably way of doing it.

eddie the reaper
08-08-2006, 21:09
god i hope that they expand the tyria map to include elona that wud be gr8 u cud ahve 1 sinple path thro the east part of the crystal desert or simple ahve portals at the end of the crystal desert that take u over a short big of fogged map into the elonan side it wud be tremendous :)

Vunduin
08-08-2006, 23:32
Cracking find, if it turns out to be true and those pathways, lakes and mountains are to do with the way to Elona and have always been present it suggests (to me at least) that there has been a bit of forethought as regards lore on GW. Much more than i would of thought anyway. What else can be spotted under the shroud i wonder?

Santax
11-08-2006, 10:05
Thirsty River, when translated to Italian, reads "Canale de Elona".
Interesting...

SylverDragon
11-08-2006, 18:00
Thirsty River, when translated to Italian, reads "Canale de Elona".
Interesting...
No, that's Elona Reach not Thirsty River, but that made me look up reach on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reach_%28geography%29)

A reach in geography is an expanse, or widening, of a stream or river channel. This commonly occurs after the river or stream is dammed. A reach is similar to an arm.

SirSausage
11-08-2006, 19:33
Excellent find! :grin:

In my eyes it is some kind of path\connection, but indeed, it could also be a dried riverbed...
Are there no words about the location of Elona in the GW Manuscripts?
I couldn't find any info about that...

maguskwt
27-11-2006, 11:31
Ok i might be bringing up an old topic...

Do you guys think the map of elona in NF is the southen continuation of the map of tyria from Prophecies? I remember some npc mention in the game that crystal desert is to the North... haven't really tried connecting the maps but i think it might be able to connect

Quintus Antonius
27-11-2006, 13:25
Yes, it's as simple as that.