PDA

View Full Version : Man, Paragon skills recharge slowly

Tozen
11-08-2006, 21:23
As balancing has still to be done on the Paragon, I took some time to compare the recharge times on my other characters to that with my Paragon that I made during the beta weekend.

Truth be told, I love a lot of the Paragon abilities, but at least 60% of them are very situational IMHO. This makes for exciting combat because it tests your tactics and your reflexes. However, when you have recharge times of around 20 seconds for skills that oftentimes only last for 1-4 seconds, it becomes aggrivating really quickly.

Now, I don't want the Paragon to become overpowered, and admitedly if some of these skills as they stand now had shorter recharge times the game balance would be whacked. Even so, I think that the power of the skills vs. the recharge times could stand to be tinkered with a little more. That, or the same approach taken with the Assassin could be re-applied... long recharges on some combo moves with optional elite skills that speed up the recharge process.

Opinions? (Note, I wasn't here for the full event, so if someone with more experience wants to correct me, please do!)

Bozo69PD
13-08-2006, 06:49
just take some spammeable skills while the big ones are recharging
or just use a bow instead and take oath shot

lavenbb
13-08-2006, 07:07
what bozo said... There are A LOT of choices when it comes to spammable skills. Part of the challenge is coming up with a build that works for yourself.

Chaz Rea
13-08-2006, 13:35
or just use a bow instead and take oath shot
If you want Oath Shot to actually be worthwhile, you have to put points in expertise. Changing to a whole different primary really defeats the point of a class.

Skig Galco
13-08-2006, 16:20
serpent's quickness?
QZ?
a new elite that we haven't seen yet?

three options to instantly boost your chant speed ((and trust me, qz does WONDERS, since it won't really hurt a good paragon, as i stayed maybe 10 points below max the whole time while keeping qz going, but will devestate an enemy monk))

critical vengeance
13-08-2006, 18:36
assassin's promise is awesome, energy and auto recharge, maybe it will work well on the paragon as well?

Alphabet
15-08-2006, 14:23
It's all about balancing. If some shouts rechagred faster naturally, it'd be broke.

Use Serpent's Quickness if you want faster recharge, or Quickening Zephyr. After all, you got 96 armor, and even more with +armor spear mods. SQ would actually be a nice choice.

Try and mix it up though. Take 2 or 3 20sec+ chants, 1 fast chant, and a couple other skills. It balances out.

Throw a lightning spear if it's all recharging and you NEED to do something.

Gordon Michael
16-08-2006, 06:53
As balancing has still to be done on the Paragon, I took some time to compare the recharge times on my other characters to that with my Paragon that I made during the beta weekend.

Truth be told, I love a lot of the Paragon abilities, but at least 60% of them are very situational IMHO. This makes for exciting combat because it tests your tactics and your reflexes. However, when you have recharge times of around 20 seconds for skills that oftentimes only last for 1-4 seconds, it becomes aggrivating really quickly.

Now, I don't want the Paragon to become overpowered, and admitedly if some of these skills as they stand now had shorter recharge times the game balance would be whacked. Even so, I think that the power of the skills vs. the recharge times could stand to be tinkered with a little more. That, or the same approach taken with the Assassin could be re-applied... long recharges on some combo moves with optional elite skills that speed up the recharge process.

Opinions? (Note, I wasn't here for the full event, so if someone with more experience wants to correct me, please do!)

Warriors don't have any non-adrenal shouts with recharge times under 20 seconds, most Ranger spirits take a full 60 seconds to recharge, and Assassins don't have any party support skills. Deadly Riposte, Healing Signet, Flurry and Frenzy are the only four non-elite, non-adrenal, non-attack Warrior skills with recharge times under 20 seconds. I did a quick check of the skill list, and only found a single Paragon shout, chant or echo with a maximum duration under 10 seconds. That said, spear attacks seem quite weak compared to other attack skills, and the elite skill Incoming, the one skill I found with an actual 4 second duration, is pretty underpowered, and I can't see any situations where I'd bring Incoming or Angelic Protection in PvE.