PDA

View Full Version : A theory about the Charr's civilization and government

Gmr Leon
23-08-2006, 21:42
(Not sure,but there may be spoilers)

As we all know the Charr are definitely intelligent militant beings. Not only that,but we know that they have military ranks and that priests hold a powerful place in their society. While I may be completely off and wrong I think we could maybe compare the Charr to the Aztecs. In the Flame Temple Corridor we see them on the highest point in the area using her ashes as a sort of offering to their gods,the Titans.

I think the reason they chose that exact place was because it reminded them of their most likely huge Flame Temples. Now if this is correct then if we were to travel deep into Charr territory and find a city I think we may see something similar to an Aztec city. Also,I think it may just be that they're government is a sort of theocracy. My reasoning behind this is because of the Flame Keepers,they are the strongest of the Charr and other Charr bow before them.

For a militant race like the Charr it wouldn't be very surprising if the leader of them is a Flame Keeper. It may also be that the Charr like the Aztecs have similar pyramids except with a huge flame altar atop it in which they throw their sacrifices. Not only that,but the Charr are again similar to the Aztecs in that some of the soldiers they capture they use as slaves. What exactly they use them for is unknown at the current time.

While this theory may be entirely wrong it still makes for a good comparison to another culture in reality. For all we know I might be right,but until we get to go into the Charr homeland I doubt we'll know anytime soon.

Quintus Antonius
23-08-2006, 22:04
You know, this makes sense. If what you are saying is true, the Fire Gods of the Charr (while revealed to be the Titans) may have only been a concept to the Charr until after they were released. It may also be that the Charr accept the Mursaat as another Fire God because they already had a conceptual Fire God similar to the Mursaat (perhaps their Fire Devil) and once the Mursaat appeared, in order to appease them, they errect effigies in their image in order to "ward" them off. Think how the Aztecs treated Cortez and the Spanish, for instance.

I doubt the Charr culture is a one-to-one translation of the Aztec culture, but your theory does call some interesting comparisons to light.

Gmr Leon
23-08-2006, 22:10
It's not until you've played GW and then read about the Aztecs for the seemingly hundredth time that you see the similarity. I know they probably aren't exaclty like the Aztec people,but it honestly looks like it from my view of the Charr.

I never really noticed the whole Mursaat comparison with the way the Aztecs looked at Cortez,but that definitely makes sense. For all we know those effigies that look like the Mursaat could be the leader of their Fire God pantheon.

Mr kill
23-08-2006, 22:15
this post reminds me of the frozen burning titan stateu in pre searing over the wall :D

but yea i think your theory has some good points :grin:

Shorefire
23-08-2006, 22:19
This is a very good point. The Althea Quest showed the flame corridor with their sacrificial altar. I think the charr could have a very Aztec-like society, but I wonder how different they are with their varying landscapes and overall Charr-beasty society.

Samurai Jack
23-08-2006, 22:23
From my point of view, the Mursaat are not an icon that the Charr worship. The large totems they erect may look similar to the Mursaat, but apon closer inspection, the head has horns and the branches in the back of the totem don't resemble the feathers of the Mursaat very well. The design more resembles wings, which in fact the totems more resemble the Lich than the Mursaat. It makes since they would worship an icon similar to the Lich since he is the one to gain control of the titans in the end.

Gmr Leon
24-08-2006, 22:23
The design more resembles wings, which in fact the totems more resemble the Lich than the Mursaat. It makes since they would worship an icon similar to the Lich since he is the one to gain control of the titans in the end.

Everyone has their views on these effigies it seems. All I can say is let's keep this from steering off of the topic at hand.