PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't 'Trembler's Touch' be a skill, not a spell?

Beta Sprite
24-08-2006, 20:59
Trembler's Touch
10e.3/4c.15r
Spell. Target touched foe and all nearby foes are struck for 5-50 cold damage. Affected foes below 50% Health lose all Enchantments.

I was looking at this and notice that it classified as a spell, while almost every other touch skill is called a skill, rather than a spell. (Excluding Blood Ritual, which is a spell at touch range).

Personally, I think it should be a skill, although I'm close to neutral on the matter.

Granted, it has an odd effect of breaking enchantments and AoE damage, but what do you think? Does that make it feel more like a spell to you?

Please post your reasons for voting what you do, please. =)

(And I'm not trying to make another Touch Ranger, by the way. You can't even spam it. I just think this should follow suit of the other touches and be a skill.)

Nekretaal
24-08-2006, 21:16
It should be a spell.

And every other skill that does damage or steals life should be an attack skill or a spell... just to keep things intuitive. You have to be a lawyer to understand that skills are neither attacks nor spell. That's non-intuitive, and ought to be fixed. Or at the minimum they could be called touches to red-flag to newer players that the skills are not attack skills or spells.

The only non-descript skills should be things like troll ungent or ritual lord that dont fit into any category. But there are enough touch skills and builds revolving around touch skills that a category should describe them.

Beta Sprite
24-08-2006, 21:22
It should be a spell.

And every other skill that does damage or steals life should be an attack skill or a spell... just to keep things intuitive. You have to be a lawyer to understand that skills are neither attacks nor spell. That's non-intuitive, and ought to be fixed. Or at the minimum they could be called touches to red-flag to newer players that the skills are not attack skills or spells.

The only non-descript skills should be things like troll ungent or ritual lord that dont fit into any category. But there are enough touch skills and builds revolving around touch skills that a category should describe them.
Ah, I see! Very intuitive. I like the way you think. :wink:

Makes me feel a bit inadequate in my above argument. :laughing:

Patccmoi
24-08-2006, 22:06
They shouldn't be attack skill or spells necessarily... they are 'skills' which have different counters and everything than 'attack skills' (block/evade) or 'spells' (backfire, spell breaker...). It's fine that they remain 'skills', we all learned what it is at some point and we were all new players one day.

But as for Trembler's Touch, i think it's fine that it remains a spell. The reason is that it DOES keep some counters to it, which touch 'skills' have virtually none. Dropping every enchant on a target < 50% health is pretty damn insane (think of Ghostly Hero in HA...) and it's in nearby AOE on top.

And btw Starburst is a touch 'spell' too. I think Consume Soul is too. It's not the only touch spell there would be.

critical vengeance
24-08-2006, 22:07
how are the votes 1 1 1 at the time i posted, i can tell 2 people at least want it to be a spell :\ one being me, still it acts more like a touch spell than a skill in my opinion.

Beta Sprite
24-08-2006, 22:20
And btw Starburst is a touch 'spell' too. I think Consume Soul is too. It's not the only touch spell there would be.
Ah, that's right. I'm not as familiar with the Factions' skills, so I had forgotten about them.

I can see why it's a spell, then. Backfire and several other hexes only trigger on spells, not skills, so this makes the Trembler's Touch not as evil.

Thanks for the input! I'm not too thoughtful when it comes to countering, as I usually go for the offensive, so you guys brought some things to light that I hadn't thought about.

katya
24-08-2006, 22:32
I am leaning towards Spell at the moment.

Intuitively I feel because the Dervish is part Elementalist (Earth Magic/Prayers) that it should be more "magical" than your Joe-average life stealing skills.

But that falls flat logically when you consider that Vampiric Touch / Bite, etc. come from Blood Magic. Magic.

Still, that's the way I see it. No real logic or rhyme or reason to it.