PDA

View Full Version : The new double fame/6man HA event

Tucks
29-08-2006, 11:33
Ok, im just wondering what some of your opinions of this event are.

I think its great that Anet is looking for ways to make new players interested in Heroes ascent and start the ladder to Rank 3, but i have the feeling that they will get the wrong idea of what HA is about, because obviously it will be a different game.

I'm personally looking forward to it, and not at the same time. I've looked forward to 6v6 PvP for ages, and hopfully this is anets way of testing it to add a new arena, but what im most unhappy about is i KNOW there is gunna be an explosion of Edrama, that might almost make the event boring.

fallot
29-08-2006, 12:14
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, at least as far as 6v6 is concerned. Double fame I'm not so sure about.

Almas Darksoul
29-08-2006, 14:31
A LOT of the people in my alliance are really annoyed about double fame gain, none seem to even have noticed the temporary team size reduction. Personally, I couldn't care less about the fame changes. 6v6 PvP will be interesting, we have a few builds brewing, but it all depends on whether a fotm will be spawned. The main things to look out for (so my guild says) will be Vim-IWAY and NR/Tranq builds.

Ozlae
29-08-2006, 16:03
I am really curious to see what builds will own and what builds will fail. Most builds as we know will come short. And I hope to farm some fame tbh. :D

opuis
29-08-2006, 16:15
I think Vimway will run rampant this weekend.

Metafrank
29-08-2006, 16:24
I just love the 6on6 idea, although i fear that ViM, IWAY, VIMWAY will dominate a bit too much...

I just hate the double fame idea, it is just unfair that ppl playing all the time will have less fame than ppl who had a lot of time on this weekend, so that rank will represent a player's skill even less than today...

Ozlae
29-08-2006, 16:59
I dont think Iway, vim and Vimway will dominate that much. Consider iway these days: 2 necro healers, 1 trapper, 1 spirit spammer, 3 warriors and 1 mesmer (or 4 warriors). Now remove two from this build. What will you lose? A trapper is good defense for the necro's, so that one will be hard to miss. A necro? Only 1 healer will make him a fast target. Remove warriors? You will miss the pressure of these. Same goes for vimway and vim to some extend.

I am curious to what will be the backbone of the balanced builds. As far as I can remember, the woh, sb/infuse, rc prot monk been the backbone for ages. What will it be now? Will it be the gvg counterparts or will new builds emerge?

And for the double fame: I dont really see what the problem is. Sure, it will be to some profit for some. But more for the lower ranked pvp players, and those are the ppl who need it the most. For the higher ranked, it wont matter that much. W00t, a 100 fame run instead of 50 fame run. Big deal.

Tucks
29-08-2006, 17:53
I really wish they had either made it 6v6 in HA, or 6v6 in a new arena. The double fame is just harsh because all the high ranked people i know had to earn all their fame (no, i dont know any iwayers/bloodspikers, i tend to push them away from me.. that said they earned it to, just took the easier route), but all of a sudden people are getting it handed to them on a silver platter.

Maybe i should start saying "6v6 deers"

It's a tricky subject for anet, keeping the people that earned their fame happy while giving new players ways to get into HA. It's a shame about people whining about rank discrimation and stuff, when what they really are is rank 0, and want to play with the big boys because all the "rank 0's suck". I respect the rank 0 players who go out and find other rank 0's to learn HA with WAY more then the ones who whine about it and try and make it sound like its their god given right to play with the high ranks.

slipVaYnE
29-08-2006, 20:08
I'm intrigued by it all,but, my main question is: Are the Zaishen going to remain the same? That could prove slightly irritating with less people in your group.

BrutusV
29-08-2006, 20:27
Excellent point, I fear the Zaishen battles will last forever and screen out all the PUGs that try to play balanced. Not that more screening is a bad thing.

But I can see this weekend will increase the problem of high ranked gets more fame faster than ever and unranked gets nothing.

Wet One
29-08-2006, 22:58
i think its dumb... and you will see most nublets running garbage...

Curious how people say that vimway/iway will run rampet... it already is... i tombed for 3 hours last night and we faced 4 non-vim/iway/blood spike teams in that time... are they hard to bet? not particularly but it is annoying when you have to face the same garbage over and over again.....

I have been outta the gw picture for about the past month... but i did find it rather unimuzing that people are so pathetic as to have alliance members skipping to halls to help them hold... COUGH COUGH... you know who i am talking about... That may be by far one of the gayest things i have ever seen... And then they have the balls to talk massive amounts of POO POO when they win in a 16 v 8...

Rank is already garbage... just give everyone a tiger or a phoenix and then remove HoH all together... Send in 16 GW collector stamps and then next time you log in you can have the emote of your choice

EcHoMaN
29-08-2006, 23:09
The whole problem is a lackluster of inactive/non-pvp guilds out there. Join a decent guild who has a schedule,everyone shows up, then you can learn as a guild making parties that much easier/faster.
My rant regarding these so called "pvp weekends" is
A) why does it always seem to happen on long weekends/weekends just after/before a holiday?
Many people can't even make it to such events. Doing it on such weekends is just utterly, mind boggling.

B)why are things such as double glad points and double HA fame being offered in the first place
If you are trying to get people to even play HA;

A)fix the party system so at least timely parties can be made

B)if people don't have much fame to begin with why would this weekend be any different from the rest when so called people can't even get a group.

I see this weekend as just feeding the already glorified people with more rank/fame. Reality check. Newbs won't be gaining any fame this weekend.

Nurse With Wound
29-08-2006, 23:35
Considering the fact that almost every experienced HA guild / friendlist team will be participating in the event I agree with Echoman. Double fame will only strenghten their position. We'll definatly see a few more phoenixes after the event. As for unranked, unexperienced people that will flock to HA ( i dont like the word noob ) - they will just become cannon fodder in the underworld - sorry to shatter your hopes. While i like the idea 6 vs 6 as a one-time experiment, or test before a new PVP mode which will be implemented in Nightfall, double fame is bad idea.

Also HA should remain 8 vs 8 after this event. If they want a new 6 vs 6 arena, they should create a new one. My guild, and i'm sure that most of HA players dont want it "nerfed". So anet, please, dont make a mistake, and ruin it for many players who enjoy current 8 vs 8 mode.

Ozlae
29-08-2006, 23:51
I dont think it will be a problem. Higher ranked will always get more fame than lower ranked. That's just they way it is. So they will get more fame. What's the big deal? Higher ranked (I am talking r7+) will need waaaay more fame than lower ranked. They just have to play one day less for their fame earning. Can you explain what's the problem with that? Higher ranked usually play more often anyway.

What's more important: the lower ranked that dont play that often will get their deer sooner. Gratz for them! I envy them, for I would love to have such events in my days. Will I play with nonranked/r3 ppl faster? Probaly not, because I prefer ppl of my rank. Unless they are friends. Has it ever been any other way?

And you really think a phoenix is earned over such a weekend? Thinking that way is making you like a scrub to me.

GG

Nurse With Wound
30-08-2006, 00:03
Thanks for turning discussion into flame war fest "mr scrub". GG. I never said that phoenixes are earned in weekends like this. All i said is we'll see FEW more after it. You should really chill with your rank fetish. Double fame isnt the best idea to attract new people to play HA -since most likely they will get minimal amounts of it anyway. New maps, new objectives, more drastic rebalances in the overused skills ( vim, iway, rit lord ), so the same builds arent played over and over again - those are much better alternatives imo.

ZiegDivine
30-08-2006, 04:31
I think that double fame will be unfair, but like the leader of sP said, the good people will still be good, their rank will just be a little higher, and the bad people will still be bad, and their rank will be a little higher. People that pug, will still be there, and people that create groups from f-list, or guild group, will still be there, and winning.

Lord Natural
30-08-2006, 05:18
I think it's a good idea that will hopefully inject some life into a once popular arena. Maybe for once it will be possible to play every map up to hoh without skipping 2-3 at a time. As for those worried about beating the zaishen with only 6 people... lol

Cantos
30-08-2006, 06:30
i have the feeling that they will get the wrong idea of what HA is about, because obviously it will be a different game.I always thought tombs were about fame farming. How does a 6v6 format change that in any signifigant way?

I dont like HA the way it is. I have found it turned into a stale, depressing place not long after release, and stayed that way ever since. The mechanics of the grind focused PvP area will all still be there, whether you enjoy them or not, but the hugely interesting part is the entirely new 6v6 format. We have never had a 6v6 mode before! I am looking forward to it.

Decelo
30-08-2006, 08:42
I think introducing 6 v 6 is the best idea Anet have had for ages, were going to see alot of original builds over the next 5 days. I can't wait!

Oh, and I'm not really too bothered by the double fame as the rank system already means nothing.

Tucks
30-08-2006, 11:27
I always thought tombs were about fame farming. How does a 6v6 format change that in any signifigant way?

Hmmmmm.... let me think.... hmm.... hmmm...

Because 8v8 is completely different to 6v6?

Decelo
30-08-2006, 14:44
Hmmmmm.... let me think.... hmm.... hmmm...

Because 8v8 is completely different to 6v6?

I think he was stating that the reason people mainly do tombs is for the fame, he wasn't actually reffering to the builds and such.

Wet One
30-08-2006, 17:12
I think he was stating that the reason people mainly do tombs is for the fame, he wasn't actually reffering to the builds and such.

And the reason for this is VERY OBVIOUS... They made sigils worth CRAP... The gold drops have gotten a little better... but they are still pretty much junk... You really cant make $$ from sigil and item drops alone, as your time would be better spent farming something in PvE. So thus all you are really left with is doing tombs for 1.) Fame 2.) Recognition of your group or your guild popping up on everyone's screen (in which case you inevitably wait for some of the PvE people to send you messages saying "come on man! you can do it! Get favor for us so we can UW" LOL.

6v6 is totaly different than 8v8 and i wold hope they will have new maps... because why change the format if the playing field is going to be the same? Any yes you will see FOTM just like all that dervish and paragon crap over the preview weekend... FOTM? no... Flavor of the Weekend... YES

Patccmoi
30-08-2006, 17:54
Personally i'm REALLY looking forward to this. 6v6 is just totally different from 8v8, and will offer LOTS of varied build. I honestly see 6 players team as more of an extention of TA teams (that are more varied overall) than as a reduction of HA builds, because if you check most HA builds they just don't work if you take out 2 people in there.

As for the double-fame... isn't it just OBVIOUS why they do this? They want it to be massively played, final. It's a test, and giving an extra reward always make people test more. People that don't HA often will be very happy to have a new game type, and double-fame is a big incentive for everyone who HA regularly, making TONS of people face-off in tombs.

And saying that people that don't HA regularly will be cannon-fodder for HA regulars, i'm not sure at all. Good TA guilds (and there is some) imo have as much chances in there than good HA guilds. As for all 'newbs' being cannon-fodder, with the amount of people there they will likely face each other a lot too, and gain some fame on the way, even if they just play in the first 2-3 maps. Good chances are that top GvG guild will get in the mix too.

I seriously doubt that the double fame will change anything at all for the time following the weekend. The fame level might be slightly higher, but all it really does is make these 5 days of tombs count for 10 days. The fame level always raises in Tombs for those playing there regularly, it's a natural progression, and speeding it for 5 days will hardly do anything. Did you feel everything changed in Tombs since 2 weeks?

Nekretaal
30-08-2006, 18:15
I'm looking forward to it. With (1) a bunch of inexperienced nooblets expected to come and more players in general expected to show and (2) a smaller party and a new metagame... it shouldnt be too hard to get 180 fame for new players over the weekend... all they would have to do is NOT RAGEQUIT, and expect to lose.... but farming that first two fame with an unbalanced build that will defeat the unprepared (and the henchways) but lose to others rock-paper-scissors style.

After this weekend and the previous Derway weekend, I think that it's preetty fair to say that fame ought not to ever matter again.

I disagree with the people who say that the double fame will over-reward the rich. If it's anything like the gladiator weekend, then the level of competition will rise... and I dont worry about double fame-devaluaing the higher level titles... because those titles are already devalued by the number of skips that the current players enjoy even in peak hours.

EDIT: Everybody here is talking about adapting the 8v8 HA builds to 6v6, but why not adapt the 4v4 TA builds to 6v6 instead? That might even be the better approach with spike less of a threat.... (Bloodspike no longer having frozen soil for example).

Buddah
30-08-2006, 19:41
They want it to be massively played, final. It's a test, and giving an extra reward always make people test more.
Ding Ding Ding

The real question is why they are testeing the 6 vs 6. For a permeant change to HA or a new 6 vs 6 system?

I'm also looking forward to the weekend as well. The last real good mix up of HA was with the Nightfall event and really made things interesting. It also really made jumping to the Halls tough as hell, infact skipping the early maps was rare. Usually had to win 4 or 5 times to get to the Halls even that weekend, I'd expect much the same this weekend.

MaximumSquid
30-08-2006, 20:46
I'm looking forward to it.

I don't halls normally simply because if you have 8 compitent people you should be GvGing

I'd actually be interested in doing halls regularly though if it remained 6v6.

opuis
30-08-2006, 21:51
I'm looking forward to it.

I don't halls normally simply because if you have 8 compitent people you should be GvGing

I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm actually rather burnt on GvG and would really rather have some fun in halls for a while. 2 times a day 5 day a week GvG then not enough on weekends gets mundane.

I'm not quite sure how holding is going to be though. I've wracked my brain trying to come up with a solid 6-man holding build with enough damage to wreck another team....nothing yet.

Apok Omni
31-08-2006, 00:08
I am also looking forward to it, but for a few different reasons:

1) It will allow new ideas to sprout and old FoTM's will die for that weekend.

2) Rank system is already broken, as most r6+ just simply IWAYed their fame, yet no one in a PUG can tell till they start playing. IMO, rank should be gone forever, or changed to allow PUGs to see just how they got their fame. This would allow for more respect from people who do pure Balanced and are only r2-, such as myself.

3) This could be a test to see if 6v6 PvP will be a great change for HA. So, play your best and make those builds! I have already began to resurect the Mursaat Tower build, with some variations. If you want to help, pm me: Apok Keen (forgot if its allowed to post your ign or not, so if it is, erase this sentence, plz)

4) Rank groups will be obliterated. Yep, since these will be mostly Guild teams trying new builds and creating a new metagame, sort of like reshaping HA...

Phoenixtech
31-08-2006, 01:06
Last night we got around 5-6 err-7 in our group in the span of 3 hours from multiple people. With the amount of people that will flood HA, I think it'll be more of a double err-7 weekend than a double fame weekend.

Wet One
31-08-2006, 01:06
i dont think i would agree with ranked groups getting oblitereated... but it happens to them quite a lot already... a ranked pug is a different thing than ranked friends but i guess that pretty much always goes without saying.

I think you will see some sort of modified gvg type builds with perhaps 1-2 monks some support healing/prot and then damage/shut down interupt...

What i really wanna see is some NEW MAPS>>>>>>>>>>>

COME ON!!!!! WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING THE SAME BORING MAPS SINCE THE DAMN GAME CAME OUT... THROW US A BONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

melandrus elite
31-08-2006, 01:36
IWAY will cause way too much pressure in this tournament and us bspiker fame farmer and starbursts are being cheated. We won't be able to deal enough damage while Iway can take away a warrioir and maybe a full trapper and they're going to dominate. Plus all the IWAYers will get cheap fame. I'm gonna be in AB and RA during the event do to its basic spike petition by Anet

Tucks
31-08-2006, 01:39
IWAY will cause way too much pressure in this tournament and us bspiker fame farmer and starbursts are being cheated. We won't be able to deal enough damage while Iway can take away a warrioir and maybe a full trapper and they're going to dominate. Plus all the IWAYers will get cheap fame. I'm gonna be in AB and RA during the event do to its basic spike petition by Anet

You are complaining that one fame farming build will be better then the other? Also remember, bloodspike is a pressure build, 2 boonprots (everyone is assuming this will be standard) shouldnt let anyone drop
between them they can just reversal nearly 500hp, using 7 energy each and getting fed by energy from recall. Bring QZ and they can get even more by using cop to boost the energy twice as much.

Iway shouldnt be too much of a problem imo.

melandrus elite
31-08-2006, 01:46
Still you have to admitt this is going to be pretty hard to make a good spike group (unless you want to use a 5 air spiker 1 monk combo)

Wet One
31-08-2006, 01:59
i would guess you will see a lot of jankey ranger spikes out there due to the fact that you can kill with 3 rangers and have support...

I wouldnt be suprized if people break out Noble Savages old Monk OF spike... that will still have enough damage... basicaly all weaker spikes will be out but all the strong ones will still work fine.

FarbrorVattenmelon
31-08-2006, 12:21
Bring QZ and they can get even more by using cop to boost the energy twice as much.

Iway shouldnt be too much of a problem imo.

Lets say you run 10 inspiration which gives a gain of 23 energy.
23 - 1.3*5 (cop costs energy) - 1.3*5 (divine boon) - 1.3*10(MoR) = net gain of -3, hmm not sure that works out so good under qz...

opuis
31-08-2006, 15:31
I wouldnt be suprized if people break out Noble Savages old Monk OF spike... that will still have enough damage... basicaly all weaker spikes will be out but all the strong ones will still work fine.

Im expecting to run into the OF Spike as well. I think 5 N/Mo FoC's with a Rit/R would fare well. No holding power though.

Benkus
31-08-2006, 15:45
First, I'd like to apologise to all of you. In my previous(deleted) post in this thread I did not think before I posted, and hastily wrote an insulting post. I sincerely regret calling others idiots, and I take it back, and all that was writen in it. Sorry. It will not happen again.

Back to topic; I'm so looking forward to this event! First, because unlike the last two events, I'm available almost all weekend. Second, our guild is having active discussions on what tactic to run, and we are thinking about pokey-way (smite/pets), bloodspike and balanced... We will (finally) play HA again.
Hope to see you all there!
Cheers, Benkus

fallot
31-08-2006, 18:17
Still you have to admitt this is going to be pretty hard to make a good spike group

So don't make a spike group.

Tucks
31-08-2006, 18:49
4 Ranger/X with Penetrating/punishing/savage. Could get a fast spike rate by going Penet/punish Penet/savage Penet/punish etc. Damage might be borderine though.

Lets say you run 10 inspiration which gives a gain of 23 energy.
23 - 1.3*5 (cop costs energy) - 1.3*5 (divine boon) - 1.3*10(MoR) = net gain of -3, hmm not sure that works out so good under qz...

The whole point was to get an energy boost when they really needed it. That said, i thought MoR under QZ worked out about balanced.

Builds that could work:
Mini Dual smite: 2war, 2smite, 2boonprot. Not bad holding power here.

A TA style balanced(can be many variations): 2boon, 2 war, 1 mesmer, 1 flashbot

Bloodspike: When it used to have 5spikers, 1 infuser, a rit and a ranger it could still kill. Just mod it to drop out the rit and infuser.

Ranger spike: 4spikers, 1 order/healer, 1boonprot OR 4spikers, 2 boonprot.

Air/obsidian/balanced/any high damage like that spike: just have alot of X/Mo

Cutdown GvG builds: Yeah.

I guess i should say it: IWAY/ViM. Alot of people have mentioned these so i might aswell (although i think ViM is the worst common build out there)

6 Paladins: I just wanna try it.

NR/Tranq

Many variations of balanced.

I'm Just guessing these off the top of my head, they may not work because i havent sat here and checked them out, but its just some ideas. To be honest 99% of builds will be able to be cut down enough.

Buddah
31-08-2006, 19:12
No holding power though.That will be a problem for about every build, especially when you compare it to the 8vs8 equivalent. This will be a faster more volatile environment.

Fear Ares
31-08-2006, 19:53
Imo this is a bit weird event...It surely will introduse us in a new type of gaming, the 6vs6 that posible will come out with Nightfall Chapter, and the main idea of a-net it must be to see our reaction at 6vs6 battles, and that will be really interesting 'cause some ppl will try new builds with their friends and guildmates but in the other hand we will see eviscerated iways , devastated vimways , and crippled b-spikes...all that because the same ppl that play these builds at 8vs8 dont have something to do during the event and most of all they will never think of something new for they builds but just to chop em a bit to get into 6vs6 arenas..

The double fame is not bad at all imo cause ppl who dont deserve it wont take it at the end, and who wil take it he will surelly deserve for his new ideas in a 6men team cause this is 6vs6 not 8vs8.

cya in the event wise builders :nerd:

davepesc
03-09-2006, 18:34
I guess I'm one of the PvP "noobs" this event was designed to attract.

My thoughts on HoH/the event:
- I've enjoyed spending time in HoH for the first time in my year-plus playing GW. Not coincendally, I've earned more fame in one day than I had during the entire previous year.

-I like the 6v6 format. It seems to make sense. Have 4v4 RA/TA; 6v6 HoH and 8v8 GvG.

-HoH combat seems like a lot of Rock, Paper, Scissors. I played mostly Star Burst fire spike and (with a few exceptions) we beat every VIMway, IWAY and touch team and lost to every dual smite and (organized) balanced team. Remember, this opinion is based on one day of play.

Savsuds
03-09-2006, 20:09
I like the weekend fame game. It will at the very least encourage more PvErs to try out other parts of Guild Wars.

Hopefully these new players can team with more experienced ones and learn HA/PvP fundamentals like positioning, kiting, battlefield awareness. All these skills are good for the new player to learn. If they only win the first map 90 times, then they proabaly will never learn. But, if they get past Broken Tower, they had to have learned something this weekend, which is all good for Guild Wars and the HA game.

I have grouped with many new player groups and encouraged them to use vent/TS and taught most ways to counter the common build they see on the first few maps. I believe that many of them will continue playing HA long after the weekend is over. I sensed a great excitement from everyone I played with.

Plus, I got my deer for my second account. I mainly only GvG.

EcHoMaN
03-09-2006, 23:15
-HoH combat seems like a lot of Rock, Paper, Scissors. I played mostly Star Burst fire spike and (with a few exceptions) we beat every VIMway, IWAY and touch team and lost to every dual smite and (organized) balanced team. Remember, this opinion is based on one day of play.
It just seems more like a rock,paper,scissors affair x10, more so than ever with the 6vs6 system. More gimmiks and less slots for counters. Any decent balanced should be able to mop the floor against iway,vim and crap necro spikes in 8vs8, in 6vs6 this seems less likely. Just go watch observer mode, even teams like RENO got mopped by vim teams,Knights templar almost fell to a Starburst team, and I'm pretty sure most high ranked guilds are having problems vs the gimmiks when playing balanced in this 6vs6. I'll place my bets Anet employees have been watching ob mode, and anyone who thinks HA will become 6vs6 is only kidding themselves.

Wuzzman
03-09-2006, 23:53
Its funny. Some builds still worked others didn't. The builds that the pve crowd has no hope of beating, Iway and Bspike have been kicked out by 6v6. The builds that the pve crowd still loses to, vimway, duel smite, toucher ranger mob. However the difference between Iway and Vimway is that pve'ers like playing vimway over iway or prefer losing to duel smite over bspike. It seems alot of people came to ha jsut because something seemed new. Alot of people are becoming r3 about now ^_^. The fact that bspike and iway couldn't survive in the new ha was pretty much the only reason why american district was so popular. It will also explain why I kept hearing "MM lfg".

Lady Althea
04-09-2006, 00:10
"MM LFG" lol

um104
04-09-2006, 02:00
I like the weekend fame game. It will at the very least encourage more PvErs to try out other parts of Guild Wars.

Hopefully these new players can team with more experienced ones and learn HA/PvP fundamentals like positioning, kiting, battlefield awareness. All these skills are good for the new player to learn. If they only win the first map 90 times, then they proabaly will never learn. But, if they get past Broken Tower, they had to have learned something this weekend, which is all good for Guild Wars and the HA game.

I have grouped with many new player groups and encouraged them to use vent/TS and taught most ways to counter the common build they see on the first few maps. I believe that many of them will continue playing HA long after the weekend is over. I sensed a great excitement from everyone I played with.
I'm one of the PvE'ers you mentioned there. Because of this fame thing, I'm trying out HA, and I'm liking it, but the problem is (like you said) I cant, with any team I join, get past the 2nd human map. The only thing in common between those teams... is me. =P Maybe its the PuGs that are going, maybe its because every time we've gone to the second map, we face a guild group (I kid you not. Every time. I checked.), or maybe because we're not running good builds or something, but I've got my fair share of GvG experience. I'd love it if the groups I joined actually used Vent/TS, but, sadly, it seems as though no one has even heard of them.
If its just me thats not doing well, i'd accept it and try to learn the different tactics between GvG and HA PvP, such as differences in Kiting, Positioning, and Battlefield awareness. (for this event, i'm playing the Frenzy Theory premade, because everyone wants it. I've never played a melee character before, but it definetally seems that your battlefield vision is clouded and smaller when you're a melee character. Or maybe its just me again.)
Air Ele Extraordinaire
--um104
PS: I'm not that much of a seasoned PvE'er as well. My main is an ele, but I've never used fire sinse the day I made him (back in beta's, and at release). So, no Deep, Urgoz's, or SF Farming for me.

Tucks
04-09-2006, 05:12
I'm still chuckling to myself about the countless attempts at spike builds that run 6 X/Mo or 5X/Mo and 1 spammer. Just adrenal spike as they spike and they cant help it.

davepesc
04-09-2006, 16:09
I'm one of the PvE'ers you mentioned there. Because of this fame thing, I'm trying out HA, and I'm liking it, but the problem is (like you said) I cant, with any team I join, get past the 2nd human map.

We made it as far as the 4th human map running with 4-5 eles and 1-2 monks. Eles were either /a(Death's Charge) or /me(Arcane Echo, channeling) and used aoe skills like Star Burst, Inferno, Fireball, Meteor to spike and create pressure.

Teams that ball up fall quickly. If they spread out, you need to remain organized and follow target calls. If the match goes longer than 3 minutes, you're probably not going to make it.

Dallcingi
04-09-2006, 16:25
I'm saying this out of the blue but the pve people will have a very hard time finding a group. Why? All there is is "Vimway r3+ lf trappers" or higher... Pver's will probably have to go with their guild and alliance... since even I have HA experience and am not ranked 3.. it will be tedious in getting into a pug.. though there are a couple of unranked pugs but look at what this event did, everyone got their bambis. The result? everyone will ask for a bambi+ group only, leaving out all the r3- people. IMO rank should just be like ladder... shows who the top players are and such and not in game. That way only the top 1000 are honored (not those iway vimway dudes) and the rest is just like normal, everyone pugging and not rank discriminating.

davepesc
04-09-2006, 18:09
It was impossible for PvE players to get a group before this event. It has only been possible this weekend because all the "noobs" converged on HA all at once. Sheer numbers.

Starting tomorrow, everything goes back to the way it was.
(BTW: I got rank 2 this weekend. Don't like PvP enough to go all the way to 3. Maybe if A-Net does this again sometime?)

um104
06-09-2006, 08:05
We made it as far as the 4th human map running with 4-5 eles and 1-2 monks. Eles were either /a(Death's Charge) or /me(Arcane Echo, channeling) and used aoe skills like Star Burst, Inferno, Fireball, Meteor to spike and create pressure.

Teams that ball up fall quickly. If they spread out, you need to remain organized and follow target calls. If the match goes longer than 3 minutes, you're probably not going to make it.
Thats one of the quirks of being me... I dont use fire, so I can't run the Starburst spike group.
As for the matches going longer than 3 minutes, do you mean to say that teams that spread out that go over 3 minutes dont have a chance? Or that if the battle goes on for three minutes that both teams are gone? or all three?

I was talking to a couple r6+ friends, and they say that the best way to get good at HA is to make friends, play using vent/TS, try not to use gimmick builds, and use Ballanced when possible, and dont try to get to HoH, but just to learn more about teamwork and how to counter different builds. Like to counter Dual Smite, one of the popular ones, just strip Zealots Fire from the smite monk, and you mitigate a lot of the damage. Or, if you see a group with a tainted necro, use inspired enchantment to get Tainted for yourself, and use it on your team to combat desease.
More later...
--um104