PDA

View Full Version : P/???

Sylvanas Kathar
25-09-2006, 04:21
After playing around with the Paragon class this weekend (didnt even touch the Dervish...ill leave that to the FotM crowd), I tried out several variations of secondaries.

It seems to me that a Paragon is farily well suited on its own. He can heal himself and party members, buff the entire party, and do a fair amount of damage to single targets (lack of aoe kinda hurts...). However, when you start looking at the myriad of other classes out there, the posibilities for different combinations are mindboggling.

I know personally I tried a heavy armor cleric build, a P/Mo. This worked fairly well, as I was hard to kill with the 65 armor (highest I could find in the WPE). However monking just isnt really my thing..

Next I tried a P/E, but not for the high damage spells, but more for wards. This was actually quite fun, as it made the whole party buffing aspect of the Paragon even more deadly. Throw up a ward against melee and you protect your entire back line against half the melee attacks thrown against them. However when you go wards, you lose even more damage potential.

The next one i tried was a P/W, and it really just turned into a Warrior in a skirt. Sure, I love to play a warrior, and the added shouts and anthems were fun, however I have a feeling there are going to be a TON of P/W out there looking for groups, competing with all the other W/xx builds out there. (oh, paragons have cool stances with melee weapons :laugh: )

I havent tried many others, except the usualy xx/Me, but I would like to know some other people's experiences with the Paragons this weekend, and if anyone has any other fun combinations. I think that the Paragon will truly be a great class, and an invaluable asset to any GvG.

Wakunahum
25-09-2006, 04:44
It seems that most of the new classes have enough that they can be played primary only and be perfectly fine.

There are so many good skills the paragon has that it's hard to even justify other skills in there.

Artemis Shadowhawk
25-09-2006, 04:46
I disagree with your statement that a P/W is close to a W/x. I used several anthems and adrenaline based skills along with Watch Yourself! (probably the best energy management in the game) and For Great Justice! to double up my adrenaline. It worked really well, and I in no way felt like I was playing a W/x.

Ostriig
25-09-2006, 12:10
The next one i tried was a P/W, and it really just turned into a Warrior in a skirt. Sure, I love to play a warrior, and the added shouts and anthems were fun, however I have a feeling there are going to be a TON of P/W out there looking for groups, competing with all the other W/xx builds out there. (oh, paragons have cool stances with melee weapons :laugh: )

Actually, in my opinion, the Tactics and No Attribute lines on their own could be a justification for using a W secondary. I ran around with "Watch Yourself!" and "For Great Justice!" this weekend and found them a quite welcome addition, while still using a shield and spear. Occasionally, I'd pack Defensive Stance or Sprint when going out. At any rate, I think the W secondary could be quite useful, even when staying at a distance, using range attacks.

NobleNick
25-09-2006, 18:25
I slipped the Paragon into the xx/Mo thing. (Only had time for one build, and only got to level 12 at that.) Since the real power of the Paragon is in party buffs, and all the mobs seemed to realize that, I took the Monk for Protection. I figured if the Paragon could just stay alive and apply party buffs, then he was earning his place on the team, especially large teams.

Maybe I am just easy to please; but staying alive, spamming Anthem of Flame, and throwing the occasional poisoned spear (forgot the name of this adrenaline-based skill) was a blast. some of the other buffs look great, too.

The next thing I think of after xx/Mo is xx/Me; but my Paragon had no energy problems at all. O.K., I think I ran out of energy maybe 6 times in 13 hours of play, and I was not even using the energy management tools the Paragon offered. So, no need for the Me secondary for energy management. If I hadn't gone P/Mo, I think, then, that next thing I would try for real (not the preview) is P/E, for the earth wards.

I think Paragons will have to be careful not to try to be Monk wannabes, Warrior wannabes or Rit wannabes. The one niche at which the Paragon could be better than any other class is offensive party buffing. (The defensive buffing can, IMHO, be done better by several other classes.) Only the Paragon primary can make it appear as if an entire ghost crew of Fire Imps are following your melee fighters around and tacking on an extra 3 seconds or so of burning on top of the regular melee damage. And I am not aware of any other class with energy management skills that directly benefit the entire party.

Lady Jade
25-09-2006, 18:51
I'm thinking that I'll try P/W or P/R which could have some great benefits by the way of stances and poison preperations. P/E could also have some good advantages.

ckenni
25-09-2006, 19:27
How about a P/Rt with Vocal was Sogolon?

Asylumm
25-09-2006, 21:23
I tried a Paragon/Elementalist - With the spear throwing ranged attacks I decided to add in more ranged AoE skills using the fire skills from the Elementalist (Meteor and Fire Storm) then switched to the Earth skills for the wards and it seemed to mesh better. A Monk secondary using the smite line might be interesting (playing into their angelic look).

wingzro
25-09-2006, 21:30
I went P/R for reasons I don't know why, and I ended up just using paragon exclusively. mostly due to the fact that I made him on my second account which served mostly as a mule account and my rit. so I didn't already have much skills of the other classes unlocked for use.

jvxmtg
25-09-2006, 21:50
I used P/R just so I can use Apply Poison (and a pet; Pigmy Hippo ftw).

Poison is great at low level areas and it made things run a lot smoother.

Oh btw, P/W is insane. Why? Enduring Harmony + "I will avenge you!" is just broken. "I will survive!" is now a viable anti-condition with EH.

Geishe
25-09-2006, 21:55

Vocal was Sogolon would pretty much limit all offensive capabilities of the Paragon. Spear Chucking WHILE supporting seems more exciting, then just pure shouting/chanting... besides, I find most of the shouts/chants last long enough anyways.

ON THE OTHER HAND, a sole healing/support Rt/P could use Vocal was Sogolon... but still rather conditional.

It would be better to incorporate one Paragon + Ritualist together for constant +7 regen for entire team (Recuperation + mending Refrain). Add the weapon spells of a Rit (Weapon of Remedy is really nice + Wielder's Remedy = condition removal) and the buffs of a Paragon (Angelic Bond) and you get a nigh unspikable and fun team!

Artemis Shadowhawk
25-09-2006, 22:26
I used P/R just so I can use Apply Poison (and a pet; Pigmy Hippo ftw).

Poison is great at low level areas and it made things run a lot smoother.

Oh btw, P/W is insane. Why? Enduring Harmony + "I will avenge you!" is just broken. "I will survive!" is now a viable anti-condition with EH.Both IWAY abd IWS are Strength attribute right? Still I guess you could get a few minutes of +3 health regen. And the Paragon could really use that as it gets a lot more difficult once your team starts dying off.

SDV Rider
26-09-2006, 01:15

I'm not familiar with the skill, other than that it increases chant and shout durations. However, assuming it's the same as all other similar skills (Blind was Mingson, Vengeful was Khannai, etc.), then this means you have to hold ashes. If you have to hold ashes, you can't throw a spear. If you can't throw a spear, you can't gain adrenaline... so unless none of your shouts/chants require adrenaline, you'd be wasting a skill or two most of the time.

However, I've thought about a P/Rt with a few supporting weapon spells (Weapon of Warding, Vital Weapon, a few others depending on the desired outcome), and the idea of non-removable protection is really attractive to me.

Of course, the afore mentioned P/W with tactics shouts, and P/E wards, and others are also very possible. The Paragon is a versatile character, it seems... at least after the first weekend of using it.

Rampageoh
26-09-2006, 19:30
I have not sat down and scanned all the skills yet but it seems to me that a Paragon/Fire Elementalist might be a natural. Paragon has a couple skills that cause "set on fire" as does the Elementalist. Then you have all those buffs that work off of either burning or conditions.

Light them if you've got them!

Corsaire
26-09-2006, 20:34
Imagining the Paragon as midline shortstop, sometime PvE puller, and likely target caller... Skillwise, after party buffing, they guard the mid and backline and manage the general well-being.

The secondary class should complement these roles. Wards, traps, snares, warrior/assassin shutdown: El/R/As/Me offer possibilities though assassin for tactical teleport, snaring, and shutdown seems ideal.

For solo / solo with heros & hench, /W or /El offer good variations to help crack tougher situations (W for defense and/or IAS; El for wards, armors, and knockdowns.)

I only had limited play on a paragon this weekend; so, I could be misinterpreting how they'll operate in the higher end areas.