PDA

View Full Version : Build : Demystified Dervish

Walks With Angels
02-10-2006, 16:32
Hopefully a build like this has not already been posted, as I did not see one.
Primarily for PvE, but maybe it has applications beyond that ?

Profession Combination
Dervish / Monk

Attributes
Scythe Mastery 12+3+1
Healing Prayers 12
Mysticism 3+1

Skills
Lyssa's Assault
Mystic Sweep
Reaper's Sweep / Wounding Strike
Vigorous Spirit
Faithful Intervention ( Mysticism )
Succor
Live Vicariously
Mending

Equipment
Vampiric scythe

Tactics
- Work from right to left -
1. Cast Mending for +3 permanent Health Regeneration.
2. Cast Live Vicariously for a permanent +14 Health each time you hit.
3. Cast Succor to counter the Vampiric Health Degeneration, counter its own Energy Degeneration and cover the previous Enchantments.
4. Cast Faithful Intervention for an indefinite cover plus contingency heal.
5. Cast Vigorous Spirit for an additional +17 Health gain on your attacks for 30 seconds.
- Work from left to right -
6. Uses Lyssa's Assault as often as possible for a free +21 damage attack.
7. Use Mystic Sweep for a maxed out +40 damage attack.
8. Use Elites when appropriate to inflict deep Wounds.

The intent is to enjoy constant Health Regeneration and rapid healing via Enchantments so deeply covered that their removal is very unlikely, with the added bonus of free & optimized attack skills.

In addition to 6 Health per second of regeneration :
i} Every attack should give a base 17 heal, even if it misses.
ii} Every individual hit should give 14 healing + 5 Vampiric gain.
iii} In theory the healing from a single successful triple attack would be 74.

Even with 3 maintained Enchantments, Energy Regeneration remains at 2 which should be sufficient to cover :
* Vigorous Spirit for 5 Energy every 30s ( or when stripped ).
* Lyssa's Assault that is free every 8 seconds so long as Energy remains above 10.
* Mystic Sweep for 5 Energy, used every 4 seconds while Energy is above 10.
* Elite attacks for 5 Energy cost Deep Wounds, used sparingly.

Customization
A Resurrection or Condition removal skill could replace the Elite, if the Deep Wound element is not important to you ( ideally the Elite Signet Of Removal, to remove both Conditions and Hexes effortlessly ).

In any area where Enchantment removal is not an issue, Faithful Intervention is unnecssary.

If points were redistributed in to Smiting Prayers, Strength Of Honour could replace Faithful Intervention to increase base damage further at the cost of some healing-per-hit ( I would recommend using an Elite attack very sparingly then, or switching to Signet Of Removal ).

shadow the hero
02-10-2006, 19:03
You can't cast Succor on youself

noocoo
02-10-2006, 19:04
Succor is just used on "Target Other ally".

Walks With Angels
02-10-2006, 19:14
Foiled. :sad:
I will think up the best points combo for replacing Succor with Strength Of honour then. :smiley:

eximiis
02-10-2006, 22:55
strength of honor is SO useless, you will put 10 points in smiting prayers to deal 7 more dmg which is so small and you will be maintaining 3 enchantement bringing you at 1 pip or E regen so after spamming 5E attack skill 5-7 time = no more energy, Dervish Energy pool is not very big.

Honestly Dervish have some way better enchantement then MENDING, LIVE VIC, they have dmg enchantement and the Myticism is THE way to get heal and E-management for Dervish

King Kull
02-10-2006, 23:31
Honestly Dervish have some way better enchantement then MENDING, LIVE VIC, they have dmg enchantement and the Myticism is THE way to get heal and E-management for Dervish

Well said.

Vigorous Spirit is good, it can be recast quickly. Maintained Enchantments are a problem.

Dervishs are in Melee Range. Nightfall features extensive enchantment removal. - Dervish Mobs just need to swing at you and kick 1-2 or more enchantments. This was already presented in the Preview Event.

Walks With Angels
03-10-2006, 10:42
I was rather less dazzled with the PvE previewed healing capabilities - at just 1 Health gain per rank of Mysticism, it takes 12 Mysticism and 1 Enchantment being removed every 2 seconds to even match just the 3 Health Regeneration of a simple Mending.

I was also somewhat disconcerted that the 'fundamental' self heal appears to be Vital Boon, which is currently about on par with Healing Signet, Ether Feast,etc. : a little too slow to use comfortably in melee, not a direct heal, uses a non-weapon non-Primary attribute...

Hopefully the Dervish healing capabilities will inspire me more come Nightfall, or at the very least it might be possible to be self-sufficient in PvE without 9+ Earth Prayers.

Until that time though, I will stick to D/Mo and D/N thinking. :smiley:

zweistein
03-10-2006, 12:57
Mysticisms power is not in healing, its in energy.

It allows recasting enchants rapidly for their efects while using echant destroying skills.

TLLOTS
03-10-2006, 13:46
Mysticisms power is not in healing, its in energy.

It allows recasting enchants rapidly for their efects while using echant destroying skills.
I disagree. The design for Mysticism is clearly intended to make the Dervish an enchantment reliant class for the front lines. The energy gain helps fuel those enchantments, but the health gain just as importantly allows the dervish to survive on the front lines.

The alternative to this is to have Mysticism return only energy and raise the Dervishes armour. However, by keeping the Dervishes armour lower and returning health from Mysticism they reinforce the importance of enchantments to the dervish. The health gain is as fundamentally important to the class as the energy gain is.

I will however conceed that in its current state, the health gain is rather negligible, however I and I'm sure many others fully expect that to be buffed before Nightfall is released.

jhffmn
03-10-2006, 15:45
Woudln't stacking 4 enchantments and throwing on mystic regeneration with 14 earthmagic + conviction offer more survivability than this build?

thats 16 regen right there + 24 more armor.

Other spells you can use..

Mystic Vigor. Up to 25 life back per successful hit.
Sandy Grip. Your attacks cause blindness.
Vital boon. For a free self heal, or/and faithful intervention for a duration free enchant + heal.

Using conviction + mystic regeneration + mystic vigor + sandy grip + 1 additional enchant.

+75 life back on a triple hit.
+24 armor
+16 regen (with 4 enchants total up)
+Attacks cause blindness

Only mystic regen costs more than 5 energy, with 12 mysticism the 5 energy enchants cost a net 1 energy. You wont have mana issues so you can spam reap impurities or eremites attack or mystic sweep and lyssas assault. Raging Renewal can further help with energy issues and it adds to the regen.

Granted this implies a 14 earth, 12 mysticism, 11 sycthe build. But with 12 or less earth you can still get +3 regen per enchantment, so +12 regen. A earth 11 (10 + 1), mysticism 12 (10 + 2), Scythe 14 ( 11 + 1 + 2). Would offer more damage.

So to sum everything up.

75 per triple hit as opposed to 74.
+16 (depending on build) as opposed to 3 regen.
And you dont have to worry about energy, attacks cause blindness, and you have 24 more armor.

jhffmn
03-10-2006, 16:00
crap double post

Walks With Angels
03-10-2006, 21:37
The issue ( not problem, just personal preference ) I have with the Earth Prayers approach is :

* Reliance on Mystic Regeneration, since it is rather more vulnerable to removal than a static Healing Prayer on the bottom of a stack.

* With only 11 Scythe Mystery against level 28s and a bar of Earth Prayers, exactly what is the offensive contribution beyond Blinding foes ?

I am always a direct thinker in terms of attribute distribution - which is why I love Necromancers ( 16 in 1-of-3 offense & support & healing lines and 13 in energy management ) - so I do not think i would ever be comfortable with my strongest 2 attributes being dedicated to personal defense.

jhffmn
03-10-2006, 22:27
The issue ( not problem, just personal preference ) I have with the Earth Prayers approach is :

* Reliance on Mystic Regeneration, since it is rather more vulnerable to removal than a static Healing Prayer on the bottom of a stack.

* With only 11 Scythe Mystery against level 28s and a bar of Earth Prayers, exactly what is the offensive contribution beyond Blinding foes ?

I am always a direct thinker in terms of attribute distribution - which is why I love Necromancers ( 16 in 1-of-3 offense & support & healing lines and 13 in energy management ) - so I do not think i would ever be comfortable with my strongest 2 attributes being dedicated to personal defense.

If you go 14 scythe, 12 myst, 11 earth, you still run with 12 regen most of the time, with +24 armor, and still get the +75 hp per hit while having the energy to actually use abilities. And +24 armor is > than 6 hp per second even if mystic regen is down.

Not entirely certain about this, but another thing to keep in mind. Since there are no specific +armor bonuses to holy damage unlike elemental or physical damage. Using a holy damage enchant is going to up your damage by quite a bit, since generally enemies will have less damage vs. holy than physical.

tommynj
21-10-2006, 23:22
The big issue here for most threads i read about Dervish is energy management and foes stripping enchants. Unless you are running an Avatar build then i see no poin in putting tons of points in myst, 9 should be enough which gives 3 energy per enchant loss. Your skill bar should consist of mostly 5 energy skills not 10e which i see most people doing already. If you are that concerned about energy management then go D/me and put points in inspiration.

The key to not being caught with enchantments on you is Pious Assault which removes enchants when you hit a foe and it is very spammable with an 8 sec recharge. As Dervish you can remove your own enchants and thats something a sin could never do. Vital boon should be in everyone's build for heals cause its the best self heal out of the attributes from what i see so far.
This is just my thought and everyone will have their own builds to experiment with so this should be fun and interesting :)

TadaceAce
22-10-2006, 04:02
I stopped reading as soon as I saw mending... the most worthless and overused and stupid skill in this game.

Servant of Kali
22-10-2006, 12:41
I stopped reading as soon as I saw mending... the most worthless and overused and stupid skill in this game.

rotfl. You know, i wanted to posted EXACTLY same thing.. "I stopped reading as soon as I saw mending".... but then i thought "oh well, why spoil peoples fun, let's be nice" :)

Yea, Mending is one of the most worthless skills in the game, i thought the problem with Mending is that people are inexperienced and dont know it. However, after many attempts of nicely explaining to some people how bad mending really is (followed by math etc), i realized it's useless. Nowdays i ragequit instantly as soon as i see Mending, pvp or pve.

Oh, and as soon as i heard of Dervish being focused on enchants, i wondered how long it will take until we see half of the Dervishes having Mending. "Oh look, i only lose 1 regen arrow, now i have 3 more, and on warrior i only had 1!".

Santax
22-10-2006, 14:31
strength of honor is SO useless, you will put 10 points in smiting prayers to deal 7 more dmg which is so small and you will be maintaining 3 enchantement bringing you at 1 pip or E regen so after spamming 5E attack skill 5-7 time = no more energy, Dervish Energy pool is not very big.
Although Strength of Honour+5/1 Vampiric Scythe=a total of +13 dmg on every attack, including ones that hit adjacent foes.