PDA

View Full Version : What IAS do you use?

cranialexodus
01-11-2006, 22:12
On your spear-using paragon. I've tried a lot, none I'm entirely happy with though.

Celtor Dunough
01-11-2006, 22:29
IAS? What is that?

critical vengeance
01-11-2006, 22:35
IAS? What is that?

i think it stands for Increased Attack Speed

either way what it means is it is a stance that increases your attack speed.

AMorganstern
01-11-2006, 22:44
i think it stands for Increased Attack Speed

either way what it means is it is a stance that increases your attack speed.

Not necessarily a stance. Aggressive Refrain is an Echo. Works really well if you use lots of Shouts.

Necromas
02-11-2006, 01:16
I love aggressive refrain, all you need is anthem of flame and you can keep it up permanently.

I usually combo aggressive refrain, mending refrain, and anthem of flame for free IAS, free mending on the entire party, and widespread burning.

wingzro
02-11-2006, 04:59
if I'm not using much shouts or chants, I use the warrior skills flail.

Rai Zaku
02-11-2006, 05:16
I love aggressive refrain, all you need is anthem of flame and you can keep it up permanently.

I usually combo aggressive refrain, mending refrain, and anthem of flame for free IAS, free mending on the entire party, and widespread burning.I do that too...except I dont use mending refrain and use watch yourself instead :laugh: sometimes I carry "They're on fire!" to reduce damage too.

Aiiane
02-11-2006, 07:44
Aggressive Refrain in most of my builds, generally with Anthem of Flame and Go for the Eyes!. Between those two shouts, at ~10 Leadership (18sec duration) it usually never drops during battle, even if I'm not really paying attention to keeping it up.

The Boz
02-11-2006, 09:50
I don't bother much with Spear damage. Blazing Spear, Cruel Spear and Spear of Lightning is pretty much the sum of my direct offensive abilities as a Paragon. Next to that, I carry either a Command GftE and Anthem of Flame build, or a Motivation Never Give Up! Never Surrender! build. I'm unimpressed by the Paragon's direct damage, so I think an Increased Adrenaline Gain is more important than an Increased Attack Speed.
Ofcourse, I'm open to suggestions about good spear builds that aren't 10X weaker than Rangers, Warriors, Dervishes and Assassins.

Aiiane
02-11-2006, 09:59
The thing is, IAS, because you're hitting more often, in most circumstances directly translates into greater adrenaline gain. 33% IAS is, other factors aside, 50% more adrenaline, as well as more damage dealt while gaining that adrenaline. So, except for Focused Anger, there's not much else in the game that can beat IAS for gaining adrenaline (Anthem of Fury perhaps if you're considering the multiple-person scenario).

As far as a spear damage build goes, you might try this:

Cruel Spear, Spear of Lightning, Wild Throw, Anthem of Flame, Go for the Eyes!, Aggressive Refrain, ________, _________

The last two slots can be just about anything - Anthem of Envy can be a decent damage boost, Disrupting Throw if you want an interrupt/followup, a res skill if you're bringing one, Barbed Spear if you want bleeding, et cetera.

Necromas
02-11-2006, 12:33
I don't bother much with Spear damage. Blazing Spear, Cruel Spear and Spear of Lightning is pretty much the sum of my direct offensive abilities as a Paragon.

You should really try to work wild throw in there, significant bonus damage, but what makes it shine is it's great for cancelling stances. And everyone knows how much of a pain it is when you're a physical attacker and people activiate 75% evade/block stances.

IBAR
02-11-2006, 12:55
id like to share my thoughts and "tips" :)

use aggressive refrain :)
watch yourself delays your adrenaline attacks. :)
let koss use watch yourself

bring koss and devona together at all times. :)
equip koss with charge. :)
after koss' charge expires, devona will use hers. :)

you dont need to use anthem of flame every 10 seconds.
:smiley:

taaa daaa ~ ~ :laugh:

Straegaard
02-11-2006, 14:25
I've been using aggresive refrain + anthem of flame ever since I started my paragon :D
Works great

Fownkaymownkay
02-11-2006, 16:29
Natural Temper. Easily charged, easily kept up. 3 Adrenaline? Wtfhax?

cranialexodus
03-11-2006, 19:56
I gave aggressive refrain another chance, I'm pretty happy with it though I don't like having to take a req energy shout/chant just to keep it up between battles. And feel a bit gypped not having the full 33%. With flail, at 5 secs I just feel like I'm wasting too much adrenaline renewing this and can't use adrenal attack skills freely. I might actually switch to an elite IAS but probably not.

Fafner
03-11-2006, 22:24
Paragon with spear is interesting but direct damage seems kind of pitiful, as such I've been using spears to inflict deep wound and burning. Sometimes I run the lightning spear, sometimes merciless spear. Two hafta's are cruel and blazing.

Aggressive refrain is great with anthem of flame, GftE and I even put watch yourself in there for good measure. I'm quite happy with everything but watch-yourself. After reading this I'm going to make wild throw a more permanent part of my build (I usually only equip it for archer rich missions).

Aiiane
03-11-2006, 22:51
Watch Yourself! is less useful if already using other shouts due to the fact that each adrenal skill you add to your bar and use is effectively adding another strike of adrenaline to the cost of any of your other adrenal skills.

jvxmtg
04-11-2006, 02:30
I'm currently using Soldier's Fury + Enduring Harmony then spam "Stand Your Ground!" or "Brace Yourself!"

Also I use "Brace Yourself!" with my W/P using Drunken/Desperate Blow for spike damage...oh dear, it's gonna get nerf now huh?

Twin Paradox
05-11-2006, 09:25
One question: Does Aggressive refrain stacks with Soldier's Fury?

Aiiane
05-11-2006, 11:21
One question: Does Aggressive refrain stacks with Soldier's Fury?

No, because attack speed is capped. You can have both of them on you at once, but you won't attack any faster than you would with just one of them (assuming the conditions of Soldier's Fury are met).