PDA

View Full Version : Unique Weekend Planned!

shadow the hero
14-11-2006, 21:50
Once Again my dear followers of the five gods, I bring you a message from Anet.

"This weekend, boss monsters will be three times as likely to drop unique, or "green," items throughout Elona. Start your green hunt at Noon PST on Friday, November 17, and enjoy the extra chance of "seeing green" through 11:59 p.m. PST on Sunday, November 19."

Let the hunt begin.

http://www.guildwars.com/ on the frontpage and In-game log-on menu

Devilish Evangelist
14-11-2006, 21:53
I think it's not a good time for us to have the hunt that soon because most of us have not finished the game yet....
It's not fair for casual players...

Empraim Wainwright
14-11-2006, 21:55
cool. a good time to hunt for the ones I need :)

Sir Jack
*Makes cracking noice with Ranger's hands*

Who needs to complete the game? All you need is up to the part before RoT, after isn't farmable anyway :P

Xunlai Agent
I think it's not a good time for us to have the hunt that soon because most of us have not finished the game yet....

It's not unfair either because it does not affect casual players (you might meet a boos while moving through the game, ever thought of that?!) and with the missing elite missions people who have finished the game now have something to do. Are you forced to farm the greens? Huh? Are you? Okay case closed have some cheese with that whine. :flowers:

plagatus
14-11-2006, 21:56

It says "throughout Elona". That doesn't mean "towards the end of the game". Therefore, making it fair.

upier
14-11-2006, 22:07

id actually agree.
to the 'not being a good time'. not the 'not being fair'. drops are luck. it doesnt matter how far you get - chaces are you might not get a single drop. BUT id actually imagine that a month after the games release might be a bit to early to pull out what was prolly the single best weekend in factions time. too bad really. i do hope that there will be another one later again.

but on the other hand its smart thinking on anets behalf to put the weekend at the start of nightfalls life. that way the prices will take a nose dive much sooner. makes it nicer for the casual players to get the greens they want and harder for the heavy farmers to make those insane ammounts of gold just by selling a green.
cant wait till sunday to get my hands on some of those shiney greens! while standing in LA and not while farming :wink:

Ostriig
14-11-2006, 22:14
Once more, uninteresting, from my point of view. I'll be playing the game as I usually do.

I have to admit, though, I would be curious to find out to what extent such events affect the farmer's pockets for the full duration of the event. Are there really more instances of each green item available on the market, and, if so, wouldn't that actually drive the prices down? Or do farming codes kick in, thus reducing the drop rate very early into the event? Just a curiosity, doesn't really affect me either way.

Kaleban
14-11-2006, 22:14

IMHO ANY time is a good time for extra drop rates. Sure, the farmers are gonna get theirs' and more of them.

It also means that casual players have a three times better chance of getting a green drop if they end up passing by a boss.

Either way, the price of greens will drop, so for those casual players who don't have 65k lying around for a NF green, this event should please EVERYONE!

Shadowspawn X
14-11-2006, 22:25
We just had that one! We are over due for double skill cap XP.

uccat
14-11-2006, 22:31
It's not unfair either because it does not affect casual players (you might meet a boos while moving through the game, ever thought of that?!) and with the missing elite missions people who have finished the game now have something to do. Are you forced to farm the greens? Huh? Are you? Okay case closed have some cheese with that whine. :flowers:

wow... while i would tend to agree with the OP, and the fact that 'beating the game and not having anything to do' after a couple weeks play, leaves me wondering wth are people going to expect for the next 6 months? Some magical Anet devised way to keep your interest?

Kikos
14-11-2006, 22:36

Hmm... then beat the game? :huh: :rolleyes:

Neovo
14-11-2006, 22:37
wel ive taken 2 charcters trough the game so far and i havent seen a single green,

0 greens x 300% = 0 greens ^^

w00t im 3 times more likely to get nothing

SteveLord
14-11-2006, 22:43
the "casual player" whining is almost as bad as the "pve VS pvp favoritism" whining......

Walks With Angels
14-11-2006, 22:55
Great news. :sunny:

It is the special weekend I least expected so soon after release, but the one I most welcome. :cloud9:

Scutilla
14-11-2006, 23:11
Huh, didn't expect to see this one so early. Good news for those who have their eye on a particular Nightfall green, whether they plan on farming for it or buying it.

I honestly don't see what there is to complain about- the people who haven't beaten the game realize that max greens drop everywhere on the mainland, right?

*runs off to figure out which boss drops that shiny Paragon shield*

Devilish Evangelist
15-11-2006, 03:56
Very well said. I do agree to some of the replies.

But I still think it's just too early to have triple green. It makes me think that I'll never have a chance to get some green from the later part of the game.

In the triple green even I will go and do some sort of "farming", but do not like the hardcores. I stop after an hour. That's what I mean casual. Therefore, I think I cannot and even will have too few chance to a green from the later part of the game.

Also, I think it's too early because we do not even have enough information on the drop... It makes me feel lost cos I don't know which place/area I should go to farm as well...

Yes, it does sound newbie. Maybe you guys know everything and have prepared to farm the green that you like.

Good luck and enjoy the weekend.

Erasculio
15-11-2006, 04:05
Nice. I'm still hoping for a double insignia drops weekend, though.

Erasculio

beldeti
15-11-2006, 04:25
wow, great news! greens to have, keep and equip to heroes or sell away :)

My Tyrian ranger is still establishing the Sunspear outpost, while my Paragon is still doing the Kodunur Crossroads quest...

gotta search the Nightfall PVE threads where my Ranger can get his greenies. Still got until Friday to explore / map the mainland anyway :D

MStarfire
15-11-2006, 04:36
*runs off to figure out which boss drops that shiny Paragon shield*

Go to Dasha Vestibule and exit into the Mirror of Lyss. Turn right and get the bounty, and contuinue over the hill. Wait for the Margonite/Lournan patrol to wander by. The boss drops a nice Paragon shield!

/rant

Anyway, when they did this crap in Factions, I was upset. Things I paid 45-60k for were lying around for about 15k. This time, though, the Nightfall economy hasn't really even established, so prices on Greens are STILL up in the air (I've seen endgame stuff being sold for between 25k and 100k+XXe).

But I disagree with making "unique" items more common. Isn't that the whole point of being "unique"? It was put forth before that Greens were supposed to be a cheap way for new and casual players to get a max item. Well, now collectors offer items with the same stats, so that arguement holds no longer.

Let those of us who work for them have the prestiege of having a unique item! There SHOULD be items in the game worth 250k. There SHOULD be some amount of prestiege in the game other than armor. Anet's attempt to make everything more equitable and accessable is having a negative effect.

What's next? 1k obsidian armor and crystalline swords dropping from skales?

Erasculio
15-11-2006, 04:42
Well, now collectors offer items with the same stats, so that arguement holds no longer.
Actually no, they don't. You can get the shields, but you won't find a weapon with anything more than the base inscription mod from a collector. Anything more (like staff heads, scythe handles, and etc) would have to be found or bought - you cannot get those from a collector.

Let those of us who work for them have the prestiege of having a unique item! There SHOULD be items in the game worth 250k. There SHOULD be some amount of prestiege in the game other than armor. Anet's attempt to make everything more equitable and accessable is having a negative effect.

I don't think so. "Prestige" has nothing to do with grind. Someone with FoW armor isn't a better player than someone who doesn't have it, neither do the "abilities" required to get FoW deserve to be praised. A person with a green may not even have made anything to "deserve" that. I don't really think there should be anything that expensive in the game. And I see no negative effect in Arena Net's attempts to make things accessable - if anything, they should make things even more accessable (as discussed in at least two other topics right now).

Erasculio

Zaxares
15-11-2006, 04:55
As all of my characters are still on Istan, I'm hardly in a position to take advantage of this event. (Unless I want to farm those non-max Istan greens :tongue:)

Still, I expect this should help pad the Nightfall economy with more of the highly desired greens, resulting in a general lowering of prices for the market. In that sense, it's a good thing.

TeeBeeNZ
15-11-2006, 05:42
I gota say id rather see increased drops in all chapters, I mean think of it this way. If you have all 3 chapters tand you picked up the preorder key you have 9 slots, if 7-8 are filled with pvE chars that means you'll eventualy have over 100 heros to supply with items. With elonas green locations and types still not 100% known id rather have all greesn increased for 3-4 days to help people get a head start for their heros.

Scutilla
15-11-2006, 06:11
Also, I think it's too early because we do not even have enough information on the drop... It makes me feel lost cos I don't know which place/area I should go to farm as well...
Something I've been doing that I've found very helpful:

Ate of DK has a very nice list of elites and what bosses have them over in the Nightfall subforum (link to the most updated list (http://forums.gwonline.net/showpost.php?p=4508253&postcount=158)). Most greens include the name or part of the name of the boss who drops it (such as "Drago's" Flatbow). So, just do a search for their name in that post, and you should find that boss and what area he's in.

Note that the spelling in that list leaves a bit to be desired, if you don't find it right away you may have to try searching for pieces of the boss's name. For example, he has the boss that drops Wandalz's Refuge listed as "Waldalz the Angry", which I found by searching for the phrase "dalz".

Jugalator
15-11-2006, 10:39
In the triple green even I will go and do some sort of "farming", but do not like the hardcores. I stop after an hour.
Sorry to be blunt, but it's the only way I'll get my point across. :) If you play that casually, you would probably not have found any greens during this weekend even if you had finished the game and had access to all areas. You're better of just trusting plain luck during regular gaming, and this weekend is more for players who will invest enough time to really try make a difference. To find a green over an hour even with triple chance would need you to be really lucky.

MStarfire
15-11-2006, 12:25
I don't think so. "Prestige" has nothing to do with grind. Someone with FoW armor isn't a better player than someone who doesn't have it, neither do the "abilities" required to get FoW deserve to be praised.

How about the ability to acquire the wealth to pay repeated entrance fees? The ability to survive in FoW long enough to earn all the ectos and shards? The ability to complete three rather difficult quests in order to get the armor crafted? Sounds a bit more prestigous than someone who excells at killing kappa on Shing Jea Island.

My point is, if we made greens even MORE rare, it would reward the players with the dedication and ability to actually get them. They'd actually be special again.

Devilish Evangelist
15-11-2006, 14:24
To find a green over an hour even with triple chance would need you to be really lucky.

NO.

The triple green Faction week. I do manage to get four in two hours. (Of course they're the easy one that very near the outpost.)

With the information, I think this event is fun even for casual players who may only afford to spend an hour or two to enjoy the event.

vader
15-11-2006, 16:25
Is there a complete list of Nightfall greens (or bosses) and locations anywhere? I've looked at GWO Wiki and it seems rather incomplete.

Scutilla
15-11-2006, 16:54
Sorry to be blunt, but it's the only way I'll get my point across. :) If you play that casually, you would probably not have found any greens during this weekend even if you had finished the game and had access to all areas. You're better of just trusting plain luck during regular gaming, and this weekend is more for players who will invest enough time to really try make a difference. To find a green over an hour even with triple chance would need you to be really lucky.
Actually, my guildmate was getting multiple greens per hour with his A/E Sliver Armor farmer during the last event. If you know where to look and how to go about it, getting a green in under an hour is very possible (though still subject to luck, of course).

Of course, Sliver Armor was probably subject to the recent AI tweak, so that may not be an option anymore :tongue:

How about the ability to acquire the wealth to pay repeated entrance fees? The ability to survive in FoW long enough to earn all the ectos and shards? The ability to complete three rather difficult quests in order to get the armor crafted? Sounds a bit more prestigous than someone who excells at killing kappa on Shing Jea Island.
I think the point Erasculio was trying to make that he may not have needed to survive in FoW, or even have earned all those ectos. He could have just bought the money on EBay, or just bought them after selling a once-in-a-lifetime perfect crystalline drop, and then had his guildmates run him to the FoW crafter. Or he could have even bought an account that already had a character with Obsidian armor.

The point is, no matter what prestige items there are (weapons, armors, minipets, emotes), there's no way of telling if the owner actually worked for them or got them "the easy way".

Amadeo
15-11-2006, 21:58
And again the weekend event only takes place in the Nightfall Campaign :(
Looks like they're only going to do Nightfall-events from now of on..?

JasonLa
16-11-2006, 08:31
Way too soon for the event, I'm not even off the island and I have played every day since release for at least 2 hours. Looks like another event where people who have time to grind/play all day will benefit while the regular players lose out. Do this event 2 months from now or make it 3 times on all greens so we can go to the other campaigns with characters that have access to zones with greens.

Gryphe
16-11-2006, 11:17
You regular players sure don't seem to play often. I got a fulltime job and plenty of things to do during the weekends, and I finished the game in two weeks.

Then again, we Monks have it easy. :grin:

sequel
16-11-2006, 11:35
don't really see the problem, sure I didn't finish Nightfall yet since I prefer to take my time ( just reached the mission where you get to see a theater-play of Prince Ruriks deeds, had me laughing for some time ) but I'm already counting 16 bosses to farm for greens this weekend. That's more than I went after in Factions but then again I didn't had heros at the time.

JasonLa
16-11-2006, 13:12
You regular players sure don't seem to play often. I got a fulltime job and plenty of things to do during the weekends, and I finished the game in two weeks.

Then again, we Monks have it easy. :grin:

Unless you only did the primary quests and missions or logged like 10+ hours a day every day I don't see how. I have 47 hours logged over the last 19 days on my P/W and am only a few primary quests away from completing 100% of the island content including exploring. I also have 6 other characters but i have only played them all a total of less than 10 hours during those 19 days. Typically during the week I have about 2 hours to play GW. On the weekend no particular limit but i usually play about 4-5 hours on sat. and sun each. Typically about 15 or a little more hours a week. I have a number of different things I do with the rest of my free time, like spend time with family and friends, watch a little tv, read books, etc.

ChaoticCoyote
16-11-2006, 20:29
Unless you only did the primary quests and missions or logged like 10+ hours a day every day I don't see how. I have 47 hours logged over the last 19 days on my P/W and am only a few primary quests away from completing 100% of the island content including exploring.

I have 24 hours logged on my D/R. She is now in the Sunspear Sanctuary. I started her 19 days ago, so I've reached into the mainland at less than an hour a say. She did every quest I could find on the island.

During that same period, my Tyrian "does everything" ranger completed the campaign in less than 25 hours. She doesn't have masters on some missions, but she's got her end-game green and access to all areas of the map (even if they aren't completely unfogged).

I'm not bragging; in fact, I think I'm incredibly slow to this point.

While my Elonan character can't reach many late game areas for the "green hunt", I know my Tyrian ranger will be out there hunting a few interesting items.

ravskau
16-11-2006, 23:52
Once Again my dear followers of the five gods, I bringe you a Message from Anet.

Let the hunt begin.

http://www.guildwars.com/ on the frontpage and In-game log-on menu

But if it turns out like the other "SPECIAL" weekends the drops will be all but nonexistant and the aggro and other parts of the game will be so ampped up as to make just playing through near to impossible. Admitted chances may be higher but participation is so much higher that your actual chances of getting a drop seem to be much less.....
As for the aggro part....Last GREEN weekend in cantha had jades chase me as far as zinfauns "roost" while trying to farm Ghials Staff. Lets hope it's not the same way this time....

Synthos dawnbreaker
17-11-2006, 00:06
Unless you only did the primary quests and missions or logged like 10+ hours a day every day I don't see how. I have 47 hours logged over the last 19 days on my P/W and am only a few primary quests away from completing 100% of the island content including exploring.

meh, i'd consider myself a "regular player" even tho I logged 75 hours in the first 5 days of playing my paragon :P and thats with a full time job and sharing my pc with my partner on 2 of those days (only remember that because thats how long it took me to complete the game, and yes I did explore, and did a hell of alot of sidequests, cos I love sidequests :grin: )

i'm looking forward to this weekend, because wandalz hates me! :P

DragonBe
20-11-2006, 02:20
Needed to kill over 62 bosses just to get one lousy green drop, not even that hot item. Maybe luck was against me (since my love-life wasn't), but still 62 to 1 is way to low.

Just my review on this event...

JasonLa
20-11-2006, 13:48
meh, i'd consider myself a "regular player" even tho I logged 75 hours in the first 5 days of playing my paragon :P and thats with a full time job and sharing my pc with my partner on 2 of those days (only remember that because thats how long it took me to complete the game, and yes I did explore, and did a hell of alot of sidequests, cos I love sidequests :grin: )

i'm looking forward to this weekend, because wandalz hates me! :P

Dude thats 15 hours a day for those 5 days that my friend is hard core and not a regular players. If you worked an 8 hour day each of those days that gives you one hour of sleep each day you worked. I figure there was at least one day you didn't work so that there was more than 15 hours logged so the days you worked you were on less time thus had a little more time. Even then you still only have 9 hours each day averaging the time left out of the 5 days. I can't even begin to imagine how you balanced out sleep, work, and sharing the PC during those 5 days. You pretty much logged about 1/3 the hours it most likely takes to do every quest and mission in those 5 days then.

I haven't even logged that many hours since release of nightfall between all my characters although nearly all the time I have played is on my P/W now at 51 hours. But I have just now completed consulate dock mission. In total including primary thats like 85 quests and 100% unfog of the island. I was level 20 for the dock mission. Add in the extra little time I played on my other characters I'm within my normal amount of play time of 2-3 hours per day on average. Only on sat. and sun. do I have more time available to play longer than 3 hours. During the week its around 2 hours or less each day with a day here and there where I might not even play.

I however did get one green this weekend not due to my playing but a kind guild member that plays the game much much more than I do got several of one and so I got one of them.