PDA

View Full Version : The Scribe #23

shadow the hero
16-11-2006, 21:37
The latest Scribe is up (http://www.guildwars.com/community/thescribe/scribe-061116.php) and today, we hear about items (green or new, I don't know) and the elite mission!
I have heard early, unconfirmed reports of an unknown region of The Realm of Torment. Though my source is...less than reliable... he reports that this area may contain the most vicious and dangerous adversaries Elonians have faced! However, with great risk comes great reward, and my informant has also begun ranting and raving about the great treasures he saw during his short foray into this mysterious area.

Scutilla
16-11-2006, 22:13
I'm pretty sure the second article was in reference to the triple green drop weekend.

Woot, juicy new info on the elite mission! I like the sound of gold dropping like rain, though the new gems has me most interested. The addition of diamonds, or a completely new gem altogether? And more importantly, will there be new armor that they're used in?

***POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING: Since discussion of the elite mission usually centers around a certain plot spoiler having to do with the end of the game and the Chantry of Secrets, and since the Scribe is something readable by all, I'd like to remind people to try and keep this thread spoiler-free.

jvxmtg
17-11-2006, 00:59
Is it just me or the Scribe is getting lamer each week. :undecided:

katya
17-11-2006, 01:07

No, I don't think it's just you. It's at least me too. The conversation with "Keg Leg" seems like a bad Monkey Island homage - this Scribe just didn't work for me.

Darkstar The Legend
17-11-2006, 01:08
I'm pretty sure the second article was in reference to the triple green drop weekend.

Woot, juicy new info on the elite mission! I like the sound of gold dropping like rain, though the new gems has me most interested. The addition of diamonds, or a completely new gem altogether? And more importantly, will there be new armor that they're used in?

***POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING: Since discussion of the elite mission usually centers around a certain plot spoiler having to do with the end of the game and the Chantry of Secrets, and since the Scribe is something readable by all, I'd like to remind people to try and keep this thread spoiler-free.

The way he points out that the weapon shipment was stolen by the heket and harpies is very simialr to when they added the weapons like the jade sword in factions. so maybe a new green or new skins being added for these enemies, it seems a bit too specific to just be about the triple green weekend.

the bomb
17-11-2006, 01:11
I like the clues when i get home I will be hunting

Scutilla
17-11-2006, 02:28
The way he points out that the weapon shipment was stolen by the heket and harpies is very simialr to when they added the weapons like the jade sword in factions. so maybe a new green or new skins being added for these enemies, it seems a bit too specific to just be about the triple green weekend.
Yes, but we've heard nothing about an increased gold item event, while we know that the triple green weekend starts tomorrow. And the Scribe almost always has some sort of alert message for the weekened events, and he hadn't done one for this weekend yet. I don't see what else it could be.

Still, new weapons are always welcome as well, even though it seems a bit early for that sort of thing :smiley:

Ju Smurph
17-11-2006, 02:43
I just think the scribe is getting tired. Reporting on nothingness is not exctly the easiest thing in the world.

Gaile
17-11-2006, 03:04
I just think the scribe is getting tired. Reporting on nothingness is not exctly the easiest thing in the world.You're right. Sometimes there are meaty bits to report. Sometimes there is not too much that is hugely "newsworthy." But the commitment is there to offer an in-game voice with news from Tyria, Cantha, and Elona. That's a cool thing. I think one needs to look at the overall body, through nearly two dozen issues, and consider that the content changes weekly, and that a assortment of presentation styles may actually draw in those who otherwise are less interested. "Variety is the spice of..." and all that. The publication may, in a single issue, offer something more relevant to one reader while covering something in another article that appeals greatly to a totally different reader. This week's "interview" was a departure, and I imagine there are a wide variety of opinions about it, as there would be with any radical change. (Personally, I laughed out loud at "Appendage of Intoxication." :grin:)

Anyway, I do feel that the value of the periodical, overall, is very high indeed and I'm proud that we offer it, week in and week out.

thulsey
17-11-2006, 03:04
I heard at least one reference to Wirt's Leg getting us to a secret *hic* cow-level or somethin'.....

Guardian_Angel_MP
17-11-2006, 03:16
So, is the pirate going to be a boss in this elite area and if so will he drop his appendage of intoxication as his green? That would be one that I would most definitely have to get :shocked: :laugh:

Kjentei
17-11-2006, 03:39
I don't see what's lame about this scribe. The Elite Mission is certainly not a lame subject, which I think will be clear once it will be available.

nossac
17-11-2006, 03:44
Hmm lets see...

Pirate's tend to maroon the victims of their treachery....well in the pirate tales I read anyway.

Pirate Captain gets done over by his first mate and crew and awakes as a spirit in a difficult mission area...

So I'm guessing they killed him and maooned him.

Now the question about that black dot that appears on your map after finishing the game seems to take on a bit more importance...

Well thats my guess anyway

Scutilla
17-11-2006, 04:21
I don't see what's lame about this scribe. The Elite Mission is certainly not a lame subject, which I think will be clear once it will be available.
I agree, I thought the article as actually pretty creative and amusing compared to the usual offering.

"Variety is the spice of..." and all that.
Well frankly, there isn't much variety- the layout is fairly predictable. Story-related article associated with major announcement or event (launch of Nightfall, upcoming update, etc), a smaller article about the upcoming weekend event of the week, and a shout-out to those caught being nice. Would be neat to see things get mixed up a bit, maybe with articles that have nothing to do with current happenings and are there solely for amusement (such as henchmen and major NPCs getting interviewed).

Zaxares
17-11-2006, 05:07
"Gold drops like rain"? Methinks the good pirate cap'n is exaggerating a tad. :wink:

Still, hopefully if there are large numbers of gem drops in this area, it will help bring the price of gems down to more comfortable levels.

Gaile
17-11-2006, 05:08
Would be neat to see things get mixed up a bit, maybe with articles that have nothing to do with current happenings and are there solely for amusement (such as henchmen and major NPCs getting interviewed).Nice idea! I'm sure that our excellent scroll scribbler will give that some consideration! :)

(Hey, have you sent that idea to his address? thescribe@arena.net ?? Yes, he may be locked in a fantasy world, but we transcribe all emails onto Grade A parchment and send them via Courier Harpy so he keeps in touch. :D )

Stupidname
17-11-2006, 05:54
"Gold drops like rain"? Methinks the good pirate cap'n is exaggerating a tad. :wink:

That will be an even bigger joke after the area is open a week and is overfamed so all the drops are nerfed for everyone.

lavenbb
17-11-2006, 05:58
One thing that would make the scribe actually appealing:

Include screenshots.

I already gave up on trying to think of something news-worthy in GW, but the format could use some overhaul. Make it actually scroll like, so yellowish with black and white ink. It's also too neat, the paper should be slightly wrinkled, not perfectly rectangle, like staring at a computer interface.

Hlub Koj
17-11-2006, 06:08

Nope, not just you :grin:

Walks With Angels
17-11-2006, 07:24
Well I like the scribe, and I am glad that I was not sufficiently tempted to spend my Rubies and Sapphires on Vabbian armour yet. :sunny:

rodinia
17-11-2006, 09:52
I heard at least one reference to Wirt's Leg getting us to a secret *hic* cow-level or somethin'.....

awww, I'd like to have a hodradric cube. Just imagine: burning money and items by the masses :grin: the ultimate sink!

Laibeus Lord
17-11-2006, 10:10

Not just you, me too :D

Rob Van Der Sloot
17-11-2006, 10:18
Hey I like the Scribe! Keep it up Anet. I enjoy reading the articles.

Avoc
17-11-2006, 12:40
I liked this scribe :D
Anyways, I think the ones who hoarded their gems should sell em now, unless they like to have a bunch of gems you can buy for 1k after 1 week of the elite area release.

Aisha Heavens
17-11-2006, 14:11
Is this the I like / dont like the scribe, OR the new scribe with tid bits about the new elite mission? Seriously people...

Kylden Ar
17-11-2006, 18:00
That will be an even bigger joke after the area is open a week and is overfamed so all the drops are nerfed for everyone.

That poor, poor horse...

Xunlai Agent
17-11-2006, 18:02
no and it's always been pretty weak so its really awful nowadays...

Once Upon a Time
17-11-2006, 18:11
I dont feel like spamming the forum by opening a new thread so i'll ask here - Is there any chance we can get MALE dervish wallpapers? Female dervish wallpapers are IMO ugly and slutty.

BlueSyN
17-11-2006, 18:52
Gaile, I like to know if the elite mission is in fact coming out soon, as in this update or maybe next week for that matter, has there been a change to pushing this major update out faster then planned of the 2-5 months

Here is my next answer if the answer is no, why post this to the pubic if it not coming out in this timeline, is it just something to make more people upset about the fact the that Anet messed up on there books in CE and stated that there was a elite mission and the fact it was never planned to be added with Nightfall in till sometime later. So what was this news update about the elite mission? Faster Timeline for this update? Telling us its coming is not a very good idea sense we are unhappy how this played out.

The Mask Of Gilead
17-11-2006, 20:06
Scribe is awesome! Much more fun than a straight-forward news post. -- And if kegleg is a D2 reference...awesome. lol Thanks for the heads up Scribe. :grin:

Erasculio
18-11-2006, 02:32
Telling us its coming is not a very good idea sense we are unhappy how this played out.

Right. There're so many things to be said about that statement that I could write a very long post about it, but to keep it short - if by "we" you think you are speaking for the Guild Wars community as a whole, you are delusional. People who play GW have mouths and fingers, thank you, they're perfectly able to say what they think or do not think without the help of someone who out of nothing decided his voice would speak for everyone.

Erasculio

goodcharlottejake
18-11-2006, 07:23
(Hey, have you sent that idea to his address? thescribe@arena.net ?? Yes, he may be locked in a fantasy world, but we transcribe all emails onto Grade A parchment and send them via Courier Harpy so he keeps in touch. :D )

I'd love to give some ideas, Gaile! I'm a very creative person, so don't be surprised if Mr. Scribe gets 15 emails a day!:grin: :grin: :grin:

The Mask Of Gilead
18-11-2006, 17:25
Just a thought...I got the impression from the scribe that you have to be drunk to get to this new area... I wonder.... lol would be a riot if that's the case.

oceanicdemigod
18-11-2006, 23:21
I agree...

The scribe quote says:
"Ok…first, you need to pick up a back stabbin' landlubber of a first mate. Then you need to be foolish enough to share the map to yer stash with the scurvy dog. Then you need to drink until it's blacker than the blackest night, and like some sort of magic, you will wake up, as a spirit, in that forsaken land of pain and profit!"

So it sounds like you need a buddy...makes me think only 2 real people are allowed and it forces people to use heroes and use them well. Then go to your own instance of a map..and thus 'sharing' the map? Then you both down a ton of ale or whatever until your screen goes black....and you are turned into spirits and auto warp to the mission? Just 2 people? 2 People and heroes? more than 2? Or only 2 at a time to the Elite mission outpost where u can meet other spirits and team up?

That would definitely add a new dimension to getting access to the elite mission. Requires money to be spent on the ales, much like money needed to be spent to visit UW/FoW. If only ales...DROPPED off corsair mobs hehe. Then you have to in essence drink yourself to death...and enter the realm of torment as a spirit, not a mortal....new game play mechanics being a spirit?Makes sense as there is no real thing to allow a party death besides getting killed by monsters but that would trigger auto-res shrine.

Just my guessing on what was said...pure theory here ^_^
I can't wait to see what it ends up being :)