PDA

View Full Version : Router Problems? [Not exactly sure.]

VersionX
23-11-2006, 09:31
To start with: I'm almost completely computer illiterate. I know a very small amount, which has gotten me by for almost 4 years now, but this one has stumped me, and I don't really know what to search for on Google, after a couple of unworthy searches.

I'm running Windows XP, and my router is a "BT Voyager 205 ADSL". I have a 2MB package (although can only reach speeds of around 130kb/s max in my area), and have never had any problems with it in the past. I don't know any other details I can give. :\

The problem is, since a couple of days ago, it seems my net has been 'picking at random' what sites to open/connect to, and what ones not to. On occasion it will open GWo whilst not running new areas to download in, say, Guild Wars, whereas an hour later it will do the exact opposite.

I ran a system recovery earlier (my failsafe to all problems I can't fix, lmao), and the problem still persists, which led me to believe it IS my router.

It currently isn't installed, but hasn't been installed for over a year now. My internet has always ran anyway, so I never found I needed to find the install disc. (Which I do have, but have no idea where it is.)

If I need to supply any other info, tell me what, as I don't know what else I can give. Thanks.

MoonUnit
23-11-2006, 09:33
Try to connect directly to the modem and see if you have the same issues, if you do then it isn't the router.

VersionX
23-11-2006, 09:45
..may sound n00bish, but how do I go about that?

Since upgrading from my Dial-up to broadband a couple of years ago, I never realised I had to actually connect to a modem. Seeing as how, everytime my computer turns on, my internet is auto-connected.

Kay Four
23-11-2006, 10:10
..may sound n00bish, but how do I go about that?

Since upgrading from my Dial-up to broadband a couple of years ago, I never realised I had to actually connect to a modem. Seeing as how, everytime my computer turns on, my internet is auto-connected.

I believe MoonUnit is suggesting that you connect to the router via USB instead of using the network cable.

I think the 205 has both so if you're connected using a network cable, then try it with the USB. If you're already connected using USB, then try it with the network cable.

At least you will be able to eliminate whether it's the router, or whether there's something on your computer that's taking up the resources.

Glacius Cool
23-11-2006, 10:15
http://www.voyager.bt.com/wired_routers/voyager_205/product_info.htm#
From what I can tell of the specs, his router is part of his modem and it seems that the manufacturer of it is also his ISP.
Personally I would contact your ISP and see if they can either help you fix the problem or provide you with a replacement for it.

I would also run scans for viri and malware/adware/etc...

MoonUnit
23-11-2006, 10:36
http://www.voyager.bt.com/wired_routers/voyager_205/product_info.htm#
From what I can tell of the specs, his router is part of his modem and it seems that the manufacturer of it is also his ISP.
Personally I would contact your ISP and see if they can either help you fix the problem or provide you with a replacement for it.

I would also run scans for viri and malware/adware/etc...

Damn in that case... I agree with Glacius, contact your ISP and see if they can do anything about it.

Tom Nook
23-11-2006, 11:36
VersionX, you are using the supplied microfilter (http://www.voyager.bt.com/microfilters/microfilter_index.htm)aren't you?

VersionX
23-11-2006, 12:47
VersionX, you are using the supplied microfilter (http://www.voyager.bt.com/microfilters/microfilter_index.htm)aren't you?

Been connected ever since I got upgraded over a year ago. :P

katya
23-11-2006, 18:21

This would be my recommendation too. We could go through a lot of troubleshooting, checking to see where packets are going and where they're being dropped, etc. but your ISP will likely be able to offer you faster support on this one.

Our of curiosity. Have you tried turning the router off for a few minutes and then turning it back on - and checking that airflow around / to it is not obstructed?