PDA

View Full Version : E/Mo looking to find better skills

geanon
08-12-2006, 00:37
I am currently going through Nightfall and am looking to find some better moves that will aid me in completing it a little easier i have access to some of the later missions on prophecies and factions so hav no problem finding moves

can someone give suggestions to what would be good to change

i am currently equiped with and reasons behind them

Meteor shower obviously this is good for going against large amounts of enemies in a small area

flare quick spell that does more damage than my weapons

flame djinns haste for when enemies get too close to me so i can do massive damage

Meteor to stop enemies foing powerful moves + large dammage

Inferno same reason as flame djinns haste

Healing Breezeto heal myself if the going gets too rough

Resurect I always seem to get really bad healer henchmen who decide, instead of staying with me while the fighters and assassins run in, instead to run in themselves and get killed

Signet of Capture I will get all of the skills eventually

any ideas would be welcome even if it is to change to any other skill groups as i am only using Fire magic and Healing magic and the rest of my points are in storage of mana

alchemistsan
08-12-2006, 02:25
I am currently going through Nightfall and am looking to find some better moves that will aid me in completing it a little easier i have access to some of the later missions on prophecies and factions so hav no problem finding moves
can someone give suggestions to what would be good to change

i am currently equiped with and reasons behind them

Meteor shower obviously this is good for going against large amounts of enemies in a small area

flare quick spell that does more damage than my weapons

flame djinns haste for when enemies get too close to me so i can do massive damage

Meteor to stop enemies foing powerful moves + large dammage

Inferno same reason as flame djinns haste

Healing Breezeto heal myself if the going gets too rough

Resurect I always seem to get really bad healer henchmen who decide, instead of staying with me while the fighters and assassins run in, instead to run in themselves and get killed

Signet of Capture I will get all of the skills eventually

any ideas would be welcome even if it is to change to any other skill groups as i am only using Fire magic and Healing magic and the rest of my points are in storage of mana

From your statement here, I think you have all 3 chapters of GW.

No energy management is a big no no for ele.
Drop either flame djinns haste or Inferno (tips: drop the longer recharge one) and get an elemental attunement (Elite) or at least a fire attunement.

Drop flare and replace it with fireball. flare spamming will kill your energy without e-management

How much Healing Prayers that you put or how many pips that Healing Breeze gives you? if if very little, drop it and get aura of Restoration. Aside healing yourself it also be cover enhancement. Then you can get more spare attributes to pump in your E Storage.

change Signet of Capture to another spell if you not planning to capture any skills when questing and mission

Auntie I
08-12-2006, 02:33
I'd also look for a spell to replace Meteor. You already have Meteor SHower so you really don't need it. Perhaps Immolate, it's cheap and recharges quite quickly. Only single target, but it's nice for a finisher rather than using a spell that takes more energy.

Boqu
08-12-2006, 03:25
I'd suggest you drop Meteor and Flare, replace them with Immolate and Glowing Gaze. they are perfect pair, both recharge in 5sec. so you can always use them together, get 10 energy back at 12 energy storage. that way without Attunment your neat use of energy is only 5, and you are doing 100 dmg and 3 sec burning.

you NEVER should put two skills on skill bar causing exhaustion. either they drain you dry within no time, or you are not using the most potential of the skills.

geanon
08-12-2006, 11:28
Thank you for all the ideas of what to do to my elementalist

At the moment i do not intend to remove signet of capture as at the moment i dont have that many elite skills so when i come across bosses i check to see if they have one that i dont

all ideas will be taken into account and tested to see how well they work for me and any further posts about this will also be looked at

oh and in reply to the first responce yes i dow own all 3 chapters of the game

geanon
08-12-2006, 11:51
after taking into account the previous posts my new skill list now looks like this

Elemental Attunement
Fireball
Meteor Storm
Meteor
Inferno
Aura of Restoration
Ressurect
Signet of Capture

Muted Alizarin
08-12-2006, 12:51
Something I've found useful on my skill bar as an E/Mo in Nightfall is Extinguish...it's nice to throw SF at Ruby Djinns and then counter theirs when they throw it back.

Right anyway, looking at your new list there, you still have two exhaustion causing spells, which is usually a really bad idea.

I used to think Inferno was cool...then I learned that if things were getting that close to me to be "adjacent", I was probably not going to come out of it looking too pretty...although it is fun to cast in the middle of a mob of termites ^^

TLLOTS
08-12-2006, 13:09
after taking into account the previous posts my new skill list now looks like this

Elemental Attunement
Fireball
Meteor Storm
Meteor
Inferno
Aura of Restoration
Ressurect
Signet of Capture
The weakest skills in your build are Inferno and Meteor, you'd be wise to replace them. Liquid Flame is a good option to fill one of those slots. For the other nothing particularly jumps out, but I'd suggest putting Flame Djinn's Haste back in, provided you promise me you're not going to go running into a group of warriors for the damage :wink: It's strictly a skill to use when you're getting beaten on by a few melee characters and want to give them a nice going away present before getting the hell out of there.

Of course once you get either Searing Flames or Ether Prodigy you'll likely change your build significantly as they're the only decent elementalist elites in PvE.

Good luck and have fun :)

Auntie I
08-12-2006, 13:14
Regarding the Signet of Capture, I would highly recommend that you look at the information about Bosses (Where they are and which elite they have) rather than taking it all the time. There are some areas that you really don't want to limit yourself by having a skill on your bar that is useless.

I also highly recommend (as have several other people) not having 2 exhaustion causing skills on your skill bar. The management of exhaustion is definitely something to consider carefully when setting up a build. Especially since you're really only working with 6 skills due to Ressurect and Cap signet.

geanon
08-12-2006, 13:54
In responce to the post by Muted Alizarin this is a vey nice skill that would work really well against fire monsters and will probably be used when close to areas with large amounts of them in unfortunatly i dont really have the attribut points to be able to use these to my advantage as well and would only gain around 20 hp by doing this but may be used just for condition removal.

I had chosen Inferno over Flame djinns Haste because of the extra damage that inferno can do over Flame Djinns Haste and the reduced recharge rate.

If anyone has a good argument about why to replace inferno with Flame djinns Haste then post it here otherwise i will be sticking with Inferno for now.

The reason i kept meteor in was because i hadnt seen skills that would replace it and still work well Auntie I said that if i replaced it with Immolate that would work well but i did not wish to have to add extra skills to be able to use the on fire to a better advantage

I have now decided to now replace Meteor with Liquid Flame

What would be a good skill to replace signet of capture with preferably a fire magic skill or one of the others that works well with just 3 points of attributes.

If you include any skills including Elite skills i can probably gain most of them with a few days of playing the game more so dont miss out any skills that will work well with my current set out.

Lord Anthrax
08-12-2006, 14:28
Try Ele Attune, Fire Attune, Immolate, Fireball, Rodgort's Invoc, Meteor, Liquid Flame, optional(res or cap sig). Despite what some may say, Elemental Attunement run with another element's Attunement is a FAR better way to manage your energy than Ether Prodigy.

Get out there into Turai's Procession and cap Searing Flames, though. It's a great Elite when used in combination with other Ele's running it.

Auntie I
08-12-2006, 14:45
If you're looking to use burning damage, try pairing with a Paragon. They have some very interesting skills for causing burning.
Blazing Finale (for 1...3 seconds) (On all adjacent foes when a shout or chant ends)
Anthem of Flame (for 1...3 seconds)
Burning Refrain (for 1...3 seconds) (If struck target foe has more health then you)
Blazing Spear (for 1...3 seconds)

Burning by itself is a powerful degen condition. The character on fire suffers -7 health degeneration (14 health each second). Paragon's also have a skill to take additional advantage of continually keeping your opponents on fire.

"They're on Fire!" - Shout. For 20 seconds, allies within earshot take 5...41% less damage from foes suffering from Burning.

The following Elementalist skills cause burning.
Burning Speed (for 5 seconds self) (for 3...8 seconds all adjacent foes)
Immolate (for 1...3 seconds)
Bed of Coals (for 3...6 seconds) (when knocked down on it)
Incendiary Bonds (for 1...3 seconds)
Mark of Rodgort (for 1...3 seconds) (whenever target foe is struck for fire damage)
Mind Burn (for 1...6 seconds) (if you have more energy than target foe)
Rodgort's Invocation (for 1...3 seconds)
Searing Flames (for 1...6 seconds) (Target foe and all nearby foes not already on fire)
Searing Heat (for 3 seconds) (foes in the AoE when the spell ends)
Teinai's Heat (for 3 seconds) (foes in the AoE when the spell ends)

Muted Alizarin
08-12-2006, 15:41
With Extinguish you don't need any points in Prot for it to be effective really, it removes one condition from every party member and with no points heals those who were burning for 10, with one point it heals for 16...it doesn't sound like much but it's a 15 energy spell and monks don't have anywhere near the energy levels that eles do, so it's good support for the whole team basically just to remove burning...and there are places out there with a WHOLE lot of burning!

Liquid Flame is a nice choice. I capped Searing Flames for both my eles last week, and LOVE it. It's also pretty easy to get hold of because it's only in Turai's Procession, direct access from both Sunspear Sanctuary and Venta Cemetary. Just run North West-ish to Gates of Desolation (because it's a shorter run out from that end, easier all round really) then back out to cap (look up the boss info/map etc. on a wiki site I can't link to, but has good info).

geanon
08-12-2006, 15:49
Thanks Muted Alizarin for the info into getting searing flames that will help loads

Still unsure about maing people burn Aunti I i think i'll stick to basic damage for the moment like

In relation to Lord Antrax's post what is Rodgort's Invoc

Auntie I
08-12-2006, 16:08
Rodgort's Invocation 25E / 3s cast / 15s recharge
Spell. Target foe and all nearby foes are struck for 15...99 fire damage and set on fire for 1...3 seconds.

A very nice spell, about the best damage in a single hit spell, the burning is a good bonus, it recharges relatively quickly, it doesn't cause exhaustion. The cons are that it costs 25 energy and 3 seconds to cast. Which as an ele are things you should be used to....so not huge drawbacks.

I'd have a look at some of the skill lists floating around. I have one in the guides section (which I just noticed needs to include Nightfall skills, tsk, tsk). Bellimissima has a very nice listing of the Elite skills in the Elite Skills sticky just slightly above this thread. You can then judge better what will work for you.

geanon
08-12-2006, 16:50
i have looked at the gamewiki skill list i just have never noticed that skill before

TLLOTS
08-12-2006, 23:29
Despite what some may say, Elemental Attunement run with another element's Attunement is a FAR better way to manage your energy than Ether Prodigy.
You don't choose Ether Prodigy because it's better than Dual Attunements; you choose it because it doesn't tie you to a single attribute and it allows you to take a monk secondary for Heal Party so you can actually do something useful.

As for Inferno vs. Flame Djinn's Haste, if you're aiming to do damage, I'd take neither of them simply because an Elementalist trying to do damage on the front lines is a liability. Flame Djinn's Haste is the only remotely viable one, as it gives you a nice speed buff without having to spec into another line, the damage is really just a nice bonus.

geanon
09-12-2006, 01:54
Hmm prob will change inferno to flame djinns haste as i havnt really used it that much tbh since i changed my skills

I however do not go charging in to attack somehing just to use it i only use it to get enemies away from me (lava front is better for this as it does damage every second in an area around me so they move away and find different targets):laughing:

Once i get round to it tommorow my new skill list will look something like this

Elemental Attunement
Aura of Restoration
Fireball
Flame Djinns Haste
Meteor Storm
Liquid Flame
Resurect
Extinguish

Any more ideas for improvement in this will still be looked at as i intend to have multiple skill sets used to make the game more enjoyable rather than using just the same 8 skills all the time

Any ideas for a set of skills that will compiment Searing Flames (i should have searing flames in the next couple of days so will need a brand new skill set to make that skill work to its fullest potential) i know there has been a couple of posts about this so far but would prefer it in like a skill set so i can see easier how it would work without having to go into the game

Oh and can someone put an idea up for some larg nuking skill sets :largeevil:

I know that this probably makes me sound a bit :duh: :goofy: but i aint that thick at all i can make my own skill sets its just i also like to take on board other peoples oppinions on ways to increase the efficiency like my original set worked quite well for me didnt really run out of mana even though i used to just flare frag everyone but anyhoo thanks to all those that have aided me so far and in the future

TLLOTS
09-12-2006, 02:47
For Searing Flames you typically have four core skills that will never change, these skills are:

Searing Flames (obviously)
Glowing Gaze - Use this inbetween Searing Flames on enemies that are on fire to get energy back.
Fire Attunement - Should be pretty obvious
Glyph of Lesser Energy - Use it to further offset the cost of Searing Flames and because it will actually give you more energy thanks to Fire Attunement, you're best off using this once your energy is down to two thirds.

Other skills you may want to use are:

Liquid Flame - Just thrown in for extra damage really, you can easily replace it with something more versatile if needed.
Aura Of Restoration - Mainly there as a cover enchantment, but it helps to take presssure off your monks when chain casting Searing Flames.
Glyph of Sacrifice + Ressurection Chant - These two always come as a package deal and should only be used together. With a decent amount in Healing Prayers this is essentially a one second cast ressurection signet that can be used ever thirty seconds.
Ward Against Melee - This skill is great pretty much anywhere, I highly recommend it if you can find the room.

Off the top of my head, my typical Searing Flames bar consists of the following skills:

1. Ward Against Melee
2. Searing Flames
3. Glowing Gaze
4. Glyph of Lesser Energy
5. Fire Attunement
6. Aura of Restoration
7. Glyph of Sacrifice
8. Ressurection Chant

Attributes:

Fire Magic: 10 +1 (Headpiece) +3 (Superior Fire Magic Rune)
Energy Storage: 8 +1 (Minor Energy Storage Rune)
Earth Magic: 8 +1 (Minor Earth Magic Rune)
Healing Prayers: 10