PDA

View Full Version : Why 3 hours?

oneofthedragon
20-12-2006, 03:21
Excuse me if this has been asked/answered before, but why do the wintersday/halloween giveouts only happen every 3 hours? The hats are sutomized to each chartacter, so i dont see why 1 person having more than 1 would be a problem. Why not have the actually times for the hats to be given out shorter, like 2 hours, 1 hour, 30 minutes, or even 10-20. Again, if this is impossible or would kill the server or just can't be done, excuse me, but if so... why not? it would allow all of us to have an easier time with these events! Anyone else feel this way?

davepesc
20-12-2006, 03:28
While I have no idea, I'll speculate this was first done to balance people's various schedules (convenience) with the desire to draw a big crowd to the event.

Personally, I'll probably get a hat on a couple characters, but my oldest chars are bursting at the seams with useless gear from events!
By my count, there have been 7 holiday hats so far (Pumpkin, Santa, reindeer, Tengu, Dragon, Mad pumpkin, witch). I appreciate it, but that's a lot of storage!

*Can't wait for rumored hat rack*

drtstudios
20-12-2006, 03:32
I find that it can be a problem when the event gives out more then one hat. I have one charater then I get all my hats on because getting on every 3 hours is just a hassle especially around holidays when my time is restricted.

Harshateja
20-12-2006, 03:37
I prefer something where you do a set of tasks within the span of the festival on your time and leisure and on the second half of the festival, say if the festival is 8 days long, then on the last 4 days, you can redeem your hat 24/7. Having to wait for a certain few days for a certain few hours is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Lais Irideika
20-12-2006, 03:40
If we could get hats at whatever time we wanted (or closer together in terms of timeframe), there would not be much of a gathering, and it would not feel as much like an exciting event...

Seen that way, it's fine the way it is.

oneofthedragon
20-12-2006, 06:04
If we could get hats at whatever time we wanted (or closer together in terms of timeframe), there would not be much of a gathering, and it would not feel as much like an exciting event...

Seen that way, it's fine the way it is.

I agree it would be less of a gathering, but some people (like me) can't be on often enough/at all on those given times =/ I think 30-10 minute intervals is too little... butmaybe a little closer together (an hour 2 hours) would be better. I still think that about the same amount of people would be there if there were visits every 2 hours instead of 3, as i am sure a large group of people log on just to get the hat.

TeeBeeNZ
20-12-2006, 06:17
Easyest way to fix the issue is to make the items unlock on the account so you can call for one at will with /winter hat or /winter horn or /dragon etc. So you attend once and then you get the items.

Gmr Leon
20-12-2006, 06:25
Personally I think it's there to annoy us and to make us go "Crap! Crap! I forgot all about it! Darn it!". Oh and imagine the people leaving in the middle of missions. My,my,the pandemonium is bad enough in reality around Christmas.

Ah..Virtual pandemonium..So much better...Let's hope there aren't any spammers..That's when it gets annoying.

oneofthedragon
20-12-2006, 07:20
Personally I think it's there to annoy us and to make us go "Crap! Crap! I forgot all about it! Darn it!". Oh and imagine the people leaving in the middle of missions. My,my,the pandemonium is bad enough in reality around Christmas.

Ah..Virtual pandemonium..So much better...Let's hope there aren't any spammers..That's when it gets annoying.
=D I would agree but starting on december 20th the rest of my GW life gets put on hold and I do only events relating to wintersday =D

Tenevora
20-12-2006, 09:46
I do prefer it this way, rather than having a collector for the stuff. I never got a tengu mask, since it just didn't feel like anything special (whoo-hoo, get 200 naga fangs, that dude gives you a mask). However being online at the time some random things start happening in the cities, that's fun for me. :grin: Yes, I'm weird. :wink:

Last year only my Ranger got some headgear - I was spending new years at my (then) boyfriend's place with another guildie and so computer time was limited. You try having one computer for three gw fanatics and you'l lsee what I mean. I didn't mind it in the least, though. Got some antlers and that was good enough for me. Shows I had some time to log in during a day of (suposed) partying and real-life fun.

Kakashi Chan
20-12-2006, 09:54
I agree that every 3 hours is harsh for those with multiple toons, especially if there are 2 hats like last year.

My suggestion would be this:
Offset the International districts by enough time (1/2 hour maybe) so that one can gain both headgears hopefully one right after the other. Do one in home districts and then run to int'l district for the other.

Lais Irideika
20-12-2006, 13:23
I agree that every 3 hours is harsh for those with multiple toons, especially if there are 2 hats like last year.

My suggestion would be this:
Offset the International districts by enough time (1/2 hour maybe) so that one can gain both headgears hopefully one right after the other. Do one in home districts and then run to int'l district for the other.

Everyone wants everything nowadays. You just can't get everything you want all the time.

The way it was set up last year was perfect. You had to make a choice: do I want the antlers or the yule cap? It's all good to me.

And having the same headgear for all your characters takes away from the preciousness of it all. The headgear is just icing on the cake. It's fluff. It's not an essential part of gameplay - it's just for fun.

Lay back, relax and have fun. So what if only 2 of your 9 characters can have the headgear? It's not a huge deal in my books...

(And for the record, because I was at a New Year's eve party last year, none of my characters got the wintersday headgear. Was I disappointed? Yeah, for all of 5 minutes. Then I got over it. The party was much more fun than a set of pixels on screen for a pixel character... )

Shadowspawn X
20-12-2006, 15:34
The its all part of the game, and its kinda fun to log on and try to catch just the right time to get a hat. My ranger has gotten every hat so far and sometimes with only a minute to catch the last appeareance. Its fun and the hunt should not be taken out of the game. People who want everything handed to them on thier own schedule for 20 half baked toons, maybe have a point, but they actually have dug a hole for themselves by making too many toons and are atempting to take the gamesmanship out of the event by wanting a static npc just standing there handing out hats. I enjoy the anticipation of being checking my watch to see if its time yet and running to PC barely making it to get a hat. Another entertaining part of the game imo.

sorudo
20-12-2006, 16:23
last i remember, wintersday 2005 gave a had every hour, so you get a hat every GMT new year.......so england get's a new year and exacly that time you can get a hat.