PDA

View Full Version : Which Chapter(s) Do You Own?

godot
22-12-2006, 00:36
While searching to see if such a poll already existed I found this poll (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422221) in which 5% recommended getting Factions ahead of any other chapter. I was left wondering how many players there are who only own Factions.

So, aside from out of general curiosity, I've posted this poll to see how many players will miss Wintersday 2006 because they only happen to own Factions. I will be giving a few copies of Nightfall as Christmas gifts to friends who will be completely new to the game. I must admit that ArenaNet's decision not to bring Christmas to Cantha essentially reduced my gift choice to chapters 1 or 3.

In fact, I'd be grateful if Gaile or Alex could post some statistics on what percentage of the entire GW community have only purchased Factions. ...Very very few, I suspect.

BobTheTank
22-12-2006, 01:11
So far, all the people who have voted have all three.

GuildWarsGirlAmy
22-12-2006, 01:20
I own all 3, and I would most certainly NOT recommend factions to be the first bought, for that I would recommend Prophecies or Elona. Factions gets you up to hard things too fast for the average new player.

Funny thing is, if you plan to buy all the chapters when they come out, it's paying about the same ammount of money as a subscription or such for a game such as WoW.

Inchino
22-12-2006, 01:22
first two but all 3 as of Christmas day :)

when i get nightfall ce:cloud9:

CyanBoy
22-12-2006, 01:23
Heh.. 17 votes = 100% for all games now :D

Death Dragon
22-12-2006, 01:27
I own all three, prefer Prophecies to be the first for newbies as it has a much better learning curve than the rest.

(has all 3 in Collectors Editions)

Bananko
22-12-2006, 02:46
I have the Collector's Editions for all three chapters (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427341). I can't even comprehend why I wouldn't have any one of them. :huh:

I'm trying to complete the Prophecies campaign with my Tyrian R/E, and then will continue with the Factions campaign with my Canthan R/E, and will finally finish the Nightfall campaign with my Elonian R/E. :smiley:

Harshateja
22-12-2006, 03:11
Funny thing is, if you plan to buy all the chapters when they come out, it's paying about the same ammount of money as a subscription or such for a game such as WoW.

Na, only if you buy the CE. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford both.

Hlub Koj
22-12-2006, 03:23
I have all 3, Prophecy&Faction SE, and Nightfall CE. I still say prophecy is the better one of the 3 :grin:

Scutilla
22-12-2006, 03:23
Since the fansite forum population usually consists of the "diehard" portion of the community, your poll results are probably going to be skewed. Many casual players who only own one chapter don't bother much with fansites.

The game itself plus a year's subscription is what, $170? Compare that to three games' worth which you can play indefinitely, for a one-time price of $150.

Alexia of Durham
22-12-2006, 03:57
All three ,and on two accounts as well.

The game itself plus a year's subscription is what, $170? Compare that to three games' worth which you can play indefinitely, for a one-time price of $150.

Those calculations are bogus ( I'm not saying gW is a bad deal, by no means ) .

If you want the same amount of characters ( 50 total,10 on each server in WoW ) and calculate then you'd see it evens out .You can play a long time on WoW for the cost of those character slots :laugh:

spawnofthesith
22-12-2006, 04:18
well Anet's plan is a new chapter every 6 months right? so if everyone buys one copy of each chapter immediately after it comes out at $50 a pop, that roughly calculates out to $8-$9 a month. And that is not including CE's and people buying more than 1 account

Kylden Ar
22-12-2006, 04:25
I own all three, but at this point have no plans on buying more.

The three as they stand tell a good story and have a good set of skills. Adding more would give it the same issue that caused me to leave Magic: the Gathering after years of being a decently ranked player. The skill sets (aka card sets) simply got too much to keep track of. It was no longer fun trying to keep track of all the options and combos. It also became too expensive, as well as starting to see the same skills (cards) with a different skin, which we already seen in Factions.

My fondest hope, but yet my most slim one, is that ANet for the next GW trilogy starts a whole new game, unliked to the first 3. Same core classes and skills, but new world, new mechanics (actual 3 axis movement/combat please!), new gods, new story. ALL NEW! GW 2.0! Viva la new GW! :soapbox:

But I digress.

Bananko
22-12-2006, 04:26
well Anet's plan is a new chapter every 6 months right? so if everyone buys one copy of each chapter immediately after it comes out at $50 a pop, that roughly calculates out to $8-$9 a month. And that is not including CE's and people buying more than 1 account

But isn't Chapter 4 scheduled to be released in stores about a year after Nightfall was? :huh:

Bananko
22-12-2006, 04:31
I own all three, but at this point have no plans on buying more.

The three as they stand tell a good story and have a good set of skills. Adding more would give it the same issue that caused me to leave Magic: the Gathering after years of being a decently ranked player. The skill sets (aka card sets) simply got too much to keep track of. It was no longer fun trying to keep track of all the options and combos. It also became too expensive, as well as starting to see the same skills (cards) with a different skin, which we already seen in Factions.

My fondest hope, but yet my most slim one, is that ANet for the next GW trilogy starts a whole new game, unliked to the first 3. Same core classes and skills, but new world, new mechanics (actual 3 axis movement/combat please!), new gods, new story. ALL NEW! GW 2.0! Viva la new GW! :soapbox:

But I digress.

For me, it's pretty much the exact opposite as I mainly play GW for the plot/story (through missions and quests), immersion, characterization, etc. rather than just to test out skillsets and whatnot. Collecting new skills, weapons and armor are simply a means to an end, that end being to advance through the Chapter's story (yes, I'm a PvEer and not a PvPer :wink:).

I can't wait to experience what locale and story/plot Chapter 4 brings. :grin:

Colindem
22-12-2006, 04:33
- But isn't Chapter 4 scheduled to be released in stores about a year after Nightfall was?
There's no definite release been given, all we have is a rumoured timeframe of around August given by some magazine... and some website that said it'd be march but I think we all know the second is speculation and the first should be taken with a grain of salt.

Especially since Anet haven't confirmed what the magazine said. I think there was also a video posted where it said August too, it was supposedly an Anet employee being interviewed but Gaile discredited it (edit: found it (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4550366&postcount=93)) cause it wasn't someone she knew... plus they still seem to be sticking to their 6 month plan thing.

spawnofthesith
22-12-2006, 04:35
But isn't Chapter 4 scheduled to be released in stores about a year after Nightfall was? :huh:

I dunn noe that you say that:huh: It seems like I read somewjere that it was coming out around the same time factions did last year. maybe they were just making assumptions:fortuneteller:

Blackest Rose
22-12-2006, 05:09
I own them all x2 as I have 2 accounts.... what a critical fanboy (oxymoron) I am..... lol

HAPPYcat
22-12-2006, 05:13
I've gotten all three on launch day.

THat makes me more awesome than everybody else who voted the first option.

Mathos Ragnar
22-12-2006, 05:49
I own all three of them. I have yet to beat the campaign for factions and nightfall though. Heh i like to do pvp a bit more i guess i have owned Factions since 2 months since it came out and not beaten yet.

maina
22-12-2006, 06:05
Hiya,

All three CE's, all three have pre-order/pre-sales. Added a GOTY to my main account also. 2nd account has three normals, and the last two pre-order/pre-sale packs. Spouses account (Just willed to me...) has all three normal also.

Fanboy! :grin:

Funny thing, since I just play Maina, the extra emote dances for the last two games does squat for me. :sad: It's ok, I just made storage characters to see the extra dances...

Maina

Toxic J
22-12-2006, 07:02
I own all three chapters and still enjoy playing around in all three of them.:smiley:

beldeti
22-12-2006, 08:47
Own all three.
Prophecies since December last year, Nightfall CE on its launch day and Factions just before green Elona weekend (had to get it for some Cantha-exclusive skills :D).

Depending on how good Chapter 4 will be, I may defer it so I can fully explore Cantha with my main character (ranger) and tour the others around too :D

Pei Wei
22-12-2006, 08:53
All three here. :smiley: Pre-Orders/Release packs as well, er, save for the very first pre-order (Prophecies).

upier
22-12-2006, 09:53
all 3 her too.
although you can see my lovely chars running though cantha the most - and since they are all pretty cheap - though tyria too for the free skills. but if you see me in elona - know i am there only for the skills. i dont have any desire to help the sunspears - heck, id help varesh if i could if shed promise to take on a quick ride though elona to be able to cap elites and visit the skill traders!!
vary baby - if youre reading this! we need to do lunch and work on our plan! we know you need all the help you can get! call my agent and well work something out! :girly:
(well the skills and to make four-legs my slave!!! :mwahahhahahahahhahahah:)

Riuku Fierente
22-12-2006, 10:14
lolz this poll results could be guessed even before posting...

better make another poll: if it was possible to "detach" chapter key from account (to sale or give away it), which chapter would it be ?

because lifespan of chapters is quite different.
Factions had a very short-lived yet intensive life. now R.I.P. :)
on the other hand, Prophecies has steady income of players
(though some areas are abandoned)

Scutilla
22-12-2006, 17:20
better make another poll: if it was possible to "detach" chapter key from account (to sale or give away it), which chapter would it be ?

because lifespan of chapters is quite different.
Factions had a very short-lived yet intensive life. now R.I.P. :)
on the other hand, Prophecies has steady income of players
(though some areas are abandoned)
Even if you don't like a chapter, why would you want to delete it from your account? It's not like the Kaineng spot on your map travel list is hurting you, you can just never visit it...

(Not to mention the resale of accounts/chapters is against the EULA anyways, making it not the best thing to discuss on a fansite.)

djxiii
22-12-2006, 17:33
I have all three twice

se, se, ce for my main account
se, ce, se for my second account.

Darksungames
22-12-2006, 17:47
2 GW games per year= $100
2 GW CE games per year= $140
WoW subscription fees per year= $156 (if you buy 6 mo at a time)
WoW was $60 when it first came out. now it's $20. BC is $40. So realisticly?
WoW subscription fees + 1 expansion per year = $196

Yes it's close if you buy the CE (with all the extra stuff that gets you) & you get 6+ months of WoW with no expansions.

Terenas
22-12-2006, 18:38
I got Factions first.
Then Prophecies.
And immediately after, Nightfall.

I do not think I am a die-hard, not yet at least, but the game is good, and it shows some promises imo.
Hard to say if I'll stay true once I pimp my PC because of NWN2, Gothic 3, and Dragon Age on its way, but seeing that NWN2 does not look that revolutionary, and Gothic 3 runs smooth as a thorn bush, and that a pal is getting on gw again, well...I'd say I have some things to do.

an Sun
22-12-2006, 18:58
I own all 3 and I'm planning to buy CE of all chapters.. =]

godot
22-12-2006, 23:21
Since the fansite forum population usually consists of the "diehard" portion of the community, your poll results are probably going to be skewed. Many casual players who only own one chapter don't bother much with fansites.
It's during times like Wintersday that less "diehard" fans tend to show up more, seeking tips on making the most of the limited event. Nonetheless, I agree that it will still be plenty skewed.

lolz this poll results could be guessed even before posting...
Not by those who posted this thread (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435331) and this thread (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435424) and this thread (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435576) and...

With over 260 votes cast, excluding Cantha from Wintersday not only makes good cultural sense following Gaile's rationale of celebrating different events on different continents, but it also makes good common sense. Sure, I'd love to have seen Kaineng Center all done up in coloured lights under a blanket of snow, but I'm certainly not going to pity the Factions-only players for missing out especially given that we haven't even been able to find one yet. :shocked:

In other words, wise decision ArenaNet!! Keep up the great work!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone who voted and extra big thanks to those who took this thread as an opportunity to celebrate this awesome game. :flowers:

halfthought
23-12-2006, 01:57
I have all three, with no strings attacked... honestly I feel left out, No CE or upgrade of any sort

Monaghan
23-12-2006, 02:07

be that as it may, reading these forums, you get the impression a fair amount of people do claim to not own all three. people constantly crying about "favoritism" to one chapter or another and other similar whines that simply make no sense if you own all three.

Divine Punisher
23-12-2006, 02:55
All three :)

LagunaCid
23-12-2006, 03:29
Sweet Jesus, there are more people with allc hapters than I imagined O.o

Kjentei
23-12-2006, 04:26
That surprised me. An interesting poll indeed. :grin:

Stevsay
23-12-2006, 04:47
I will agree with one statement as to Factions>for new comers,yes it is a hard game.I recently recieved Nightfall as an early Xmas gift ,I LOVE IT.I will go back to Factions down the road,when I finish the Nightfall with my beloved Warrior,then use her back in Factions<and then i will buy Prophecies.I will buy all expansions of the GW series as I think this is the best game I have gotten myself immersed into.

Fyre Brand
23-12-2006, 06:29
I own all three chapters and love it. In fact having all three makes the game more fun for me than just having 1 or 2. I like being able to pop in to different continents and do whatever mission I want (or someone needs help with).

We just added a second account to the house. At first we were just going to get Nightfall, but I told my wife that pre-searing is a lot of fun too so we got the GOTY edition too. We'll add Factions if she really likes the game and wants to keep playing.

awiggin
23-12-2006, 06:33
It's during times like Wintersday that less "diehard" fans tend to show up more, seeking tips on making the most of the limited event. Nonetheless, I agree that it will still be plenty skewed.

While I'm sure this is quite true, based on the number of guests vs reg'd bodies, I'd say these people rarely register, they simply drop in for information.
Although surprisingly, the percentage of registered voters is very high atm.
It used to be 3 to 1 in favor of the guests, at 9:43pm PST, it's about 9 to 1 in favor of registered.

Ender

godot
25-12-2006, 21:48
It's during times like Wintersday that less "diehard" fans tend to show up more, seeking tips on making the most of the limited event.
While I'm sure this is quite true, based on the number of guests vs reg'd bodies, I'd say these people rarely register, they simply drop in for information.
I believe you need to be registered and logged on in order to use the search function. :undecided:

Pakana
26-12-2006, 01:02
As discussed in the threads about the real amount of GW players, it seems that we were correct saying the vast majority of players own all the chapters. And that saying "3 million sold" (after 3rd chapter) still hasn't grown the number of players from the "1 million sold" (after 1st chapter) situation.

If we are to believe the percentages won't change much (and that this is a credible result), this would look like Nightfall has attracted at best 1% increase to the number of GW players. Or all NF-players have already bought also Factions and Prophesies. Given that Nightfall is so new, highly doubt that.

I think this kind of result should send a clear message to Arenanet: take care of the old players, you're not getting new ones! And also: adding game updates and content to the old chapters serves just about everyone, since over 90% of the players can play any chapter and only 1% plays solely the newest chapter.

godot
27-12-2006, 01:53
I think this kind of result should send a clear message to Arenanet: take care of the old players, you're not getting new ones! And also: adding game updates and content to the old chapters serves just about everyone, since over 90% of the players can play any chapter and only 1% plays solely the newest chapter.
The "clear message to Arenanet" is only this: Of the world's >1m GW players >150k are members of this forum and >350 of those participated in this survey and ~92% of those claim to own all three chapters. ...Interesting, but hardly a statistically valid basis for a business strategy, especially when ArenaNet can access the exact statistics with the touch of a button.

In fact, I had hoped that someone from ArenaNet would have shared some of those actual stats with us just to show how much or how little our community's purchasing patterns represent actual purchasing patterns. Who knows, the comparison might have ended up serving as a clear message to us about the representativeness of opinions from the fanzone. But I can't blame them for not wanting to arm their most enthusiatic critics with an additional means of scrutinizing their decisions. :sealed: :wink:

Icedragon
27-12-2006, 04:23
All three, I started with Factions when it came out, got Prophecies, then got Nightfall when it came out.

Pakana
27-12-2006, 15:57
The "clear message to Arenanet" is only this: Of the world's >1m GW players >150k are members of this forum and >350 of those participated in this survey and ~92% of those claim to own all three chapters.
About 350 voters is big enough number the poll to be reasonably accurate. Still, the people registered to the forum probably are more into the game than those who don't register. That may distort the result some.