PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who thinks the new UW quests are hard?

BobTheTank
23-12-2006, 15:31
I've tried Grenth's Defense, like 4 times now. >_< I keep dying.

jackwooly
23-12-2006, 15:41
The other quest is a lot easier imho and I admittedly have tried twice and failed at 'In Grenth's Defense'.

Unfortunately though you can't do the other quest until you have completed the current one so I guess you'll just have to keep at it. :smiley:

Erasculio
23-12-2006, 15:44

Depends of your profession...If you're a monk it's very easy. If you're a Necromancer, well... :laugh:

A guild mate helped me with a strategy for it: just keep using Hidden Rock before each snowman arrives. It will take them twice to shoot you, so you'll be able to kill them quickly. Use this together with the thing that prevents you from being hit, and you almost will not have to use Snowcone. Remember to stay still in the center of the gifts, instead of running to the snowmen - those few seconds give you time to regen health a bit.

The Dwayna one is very easy - just move back until you're out of reach if you need health, and wait for it to regen, with the help of Snowcone. Since there's no timer, you can take your time.

Erasculio

Traveller
23-12-2006, 15:44
The quests are definately easier on some classes. I had no problems whatsoever with my Rit, since summoning Jack Frost is a great way to kill enemies.

Xunlai Agent
23-12-2006, 15:48
I think they're quite easy. Especially with Mesmers, Monks and Ritualists!

monx
23-12-2006, 15:52
People find these quests hard?

:huh:

Longasc
23-12-2006, 15:57
I am also amazed that at least "some" tactics are required. The mentioned Hidden Rock strategy is the easiest and most powerful way to deal with either Grentchies or Snowmen.

The snowballs drop where you stood when they started "casting" them. Go figure how easy it is to evade a dazed grentch who needs double as long to fire. Or simply overwhelm them with a Hidden Rock-Snowball plus occasional mega-snowball combo.

Timing is also important, but not too hard to do. The second quest takes a bit too long, but they are very well done in general!

You can use the terrain to your advantage, take cover and whatever - really nice.

I used the quest to level up my low level Paragon. ;)
BTW, the Dwayna mission gives now only 1K XP. Am I mistaken or did they not give 5000 XP? If they changed that to 1K it must have happened after lunch.

jackwooly
23-12-2006, 16:23
Hidden Rock before Snowman has appeared > Snowball > Yellow Snow > Dodge > Snowball > Dodge > If necessary one more snowball

That was my strategy and I breezed through with a Paragon :smiley:

Xeronage
23-12-2006, 16:23
I made it to Bonus Wave 5 on both, with my Assassin(Yes, the sucky one)
I kept evading the snowballs, easy.

Santax
23-12-2006, 16:25
Did the Dwayna after a few tries on a Ranger, then the Grenth one (much, much easier imho) on a Mezzy. The trick is on the Grenth one is to kill them as fast as possible, and you'll only have to fight them one at a time.

GuildWarsGirlAmy
23-12-2006, 16:28
You must be the only one who finds it hard. Use the terrain, chuck a snowball and move to the left. Use hidden rock. Build forts to kill groups of 2, other than that, take them on 1 on 1, throwing a snowball, dodging theirs, throwing.

Or just dodge until you see them start to use yellow snow or something and chuck a snowball at them while they're busy casting it.

For the bonus, go back the way you came and wait for the whole wave to spawn, build a fort, chuck snow at the mob, and hide behind the wall so they cant get you with their snowballs (or normal attacks which hurt too)

Rinse and repeat.

BobTheTank
23-12-2006, 16:54
Nevermind, I used a strategy and it worked.

It was easy once I figured out how exactly to do it.

Harshateja
23-12-2006, 21:23
Yea...I beat the bonus for both people...Just use the terrain to your advanatage and always charge up hidden rock before fighting.

ShadowReapr
23-12-2006, 21:42
My biggest enemy was lag... and I'll be damned if the odds weren't like that battle in LotR: Two Towers.

I honestly don't find the Assassin skill that bad. Certainly not the best, sure, but being able to, with practice, auto-dodge all those Glyph'd up snowballs is nice enough for me.

IlikeGW
23-12-2006, 22:19
Not hard at all, you just have to know about snowball fighting.

Elite Raistlin
23-12-2006, 22:29
Hard? are you kidding me? I was using my war and speed you dont need so prof does not matter. I found it so easy that i even did the bonus, i got to wave 3 before i died on purpose because my dad wanted me! :soapbox:

shadows of hob
23-12-2006, 22:42
Come on guys!!! This hard?? I have done the Dwanya quest 3 times now with bonus and the Grenths 2 times with bonus and I wasn't even close to getting killed.

Just cast hidden rock and keep casting snowballs on your target. Make sure you dodge as much as snowballs from your enemies as possible. Use snow fort and corn if really needed and gg. The profession only skill can be good, ritualist -elementalist-mesmer-monk, but you can do it pretty easily without them too.

Hidden rock and just keep moving is the key.

Master Knightfall
23-12-2006, 23:51
Lol the Grenth's Underworld is a piece of cake (once you figure out the system) I stayed in there for a good 30 to 40 minutes doing the bonus after completing the mission only reason it ended at that time interval was cause I was getting tired and bored it was so easy. Got a couple of frozen ectoplasm too.

Scutilla
24-12-2006, 00:26
Any idea if the bonuses are actually "beatable"? I've gotten to Wave 6 on the Grenth quest, but the message you get (Bonus Failed; Grenth is displeased) seems to imply that there is an end to it.

Lillith
24-12-2006, 02:05
I must really Stink then! My dervish can't get past those two grentchies at ALL! Besides my Mega Snowball is locked out for some reason..what's that about?
Getting discouraged with this dervish. I used to like her! lol

Not to mention Building that fort gives me NO regen at all...

Oh, and one more thing after my 20th try, my casting time is wayyyyyy too long, and i'm getting bombarded by these guys in the mean time while I'm standing there trying to get a snowball to throw! lol.....I really don't know what I'm doing wrong!

*groan*...25 times..I'm giving it up!
Maybe this game just isn't for me.:cry:

jasmine leb
24-12-2006, 02:48
I found them both easy.

maleki
24-12-2006, 02:52
Well I will say that I thought it was way easy, and I did it with my warrior. The key to doing them is to have a hidden rock on before you engage, and then use it right away and then dodge dodge dodge. I got to both the bonuses without using a single snowcone...in reply to Lillith:
The mega snowball needs a chargeup, so you have to hit someone 4 times before it will be useable..and you must watch your agro on the grentchie ones..they arent pushovers and the more you pull, is more dmg. to you

IlikeGW
24-12-2006, 03:55
I must really Stink then! My dervish can't get past those two grentchies at ALL! Besides my Mega Snowball is locked out for some reason..what's that about?
Getting discouraged with this dervish. I used to like her! lol

Oh, and one more thing after my 20th try, my casting time is wayyyyyy too long, and i'm getting bombarded by these guys in the mean time while I'm standing there trying to get a snowball to throw! lol.....I really don't know what I'm doing wrong!

*groan*...25 times..I'm giving it up!
Maybe this game just isn't for me.:cry:

You got to pay attention to what the skills do.

Dervish is a crappy class for snowball fighting, but you can still do it. Try the following every time you go up to some grenches:

use Hidden rock first so your next throw will knockdown the enemy. next move just into their range so they are going to throw the first shot, and use fort, it will mean you take 0 damage for 10 seconds. as soon as you do that press the 1 key over and over and over, you should take out 1 grench very quickly. now take out the other one before he kills you. it's also possible to dodge by watching when the ball appears in the air then moving.

Striken7
24-12-2006, 04:30
Besides my Mega Snowball is locked out for some reason..what's that about?

my casting time is wayyyyyy too long, and i'm getting bombarded by these guys in the mean time while I'm standing there trying to get a snowball to throw!

1. Mega Snowball is ADRENALINE based
2. Snow Fort doesn't regen your health, why would you think that?
3. You're probably Dazed. Run away and wait for it to wear off. If you're not, then your imagining it because the grentches throw at the same speed as you.

The Dwayna Quest Bonus does end eventually. Haven't done the Grenth one yet.

Noa Brightington
24-12-2006, 05:32
/slams keyboard
GRAHAYAHAHSAHSHSDHAKFLKsalksaf;lkdsakj

I HATE THIS!!!

Ranger. we get a barrage type attack.
problem! it takes 2 seconds to do, and if you've got more then 2 snowmen around you, you're screwed anyway.

I've gotten as far as the avatar of dwana, about 2 past it, but they seem to come at a slightly faster rate.

Lillith
24-12-2006, 05:51
1. Mega Snowball is ADRENALINE based
2. Snow Fort doesn't regen your health, why would you think that?
3. You're probably Dazed. Run away and wait for it to wear off. If you're not, then your imagining it because the grentches throw at the same speed as you.

The Dwayna Quest Bonus does end eventually. Haven't done the Grenth one yet.

To answer that question, I thought if I wasn't getting hit, at least I'd gain some health. Health bar doesn't move at all. Is this wrong?

Been running and dodging, managed to get throught the first part, not without some fancy footwork, but got totally annihiliated soon after.

P.S....It really isn't my IMAGINATION here! No reason to assume that...I came here for help, that's all.

Thank you for the suggestions all, and congrat's for those who've "done it easily"!

May I remind you all that this is my first RPG I've ever played and have been playing only for a little under 3 months, so no need to flame if I haven't met your expectations.
Thank you for your help.

Monaghan
24-12-2006, 06:50
i meant to try but can you do these quests if youve never been to UW? do you get ported there or am I SOL?

Master Knightfall
24-12-2006, 07:11
I play a warior class and this was my tactic thru out the whole time and never failed.

load up rock in snowball....target your enemy press 1 and then immediately as soon as you see your animation start to throw the snowball press your fort up, repeat 1's until 1's grenchie is dead....toss avalance on 2nd grenchie and use the speed boost to get out of agro range and WAIT until your fort recharges...then rince and repeat these steps over n over and it just does not fail.

The important thing most of all is "waiting till your fort resets after every battle".

The final boss is a little bit trickier, but, still about the same with the addition that once your fort falls use sprint to get close to the boss and use your hex to interupt him with 1's. Timing on this is not totally necessary but make it that much easier if you load a rock n snow snowball just before your fort timer expires and toss that snowball and then rush in with sprint to hex and then pound him the rest of the way down with just 1's.

When you accept the bonus mission leave the boss area as quickly as you can. go down the hill a little ways and let the 6 or 7 spawns spawn. Then you can go back to the first way I taught you and kill them all 1 at a time, rushing in kill 1 and running away. Of course if you get an ecto drop then you'll want to use sprint and your heal to rush in get the ecto and get out of agro range.

Maybe it's just easier for a warrior class.

Смерть
24-12-2006, 07:17
The Dwayana is very easy. Just have to pull the Grenchies away one at a time.

The Grenth challenge I found a little tougher, but still alright. You just need to get a groove going and know what different snowmen do.

Tip for killing two things at a time:

Make your snowfort take down one, then dodge and kill the other. Your snowfort will end before you kill the first with the very last snowball, and you will probably get hit by one, but start dodging right after the first dies.

If you are very good at dodging (regular snowmen really easy in case in point), then you should be able to keep your health regeneration going. And only use your snowcone when you are in dire circumstances.

Noa Brightington
24-12-2006, 07:17
This is if you choose dwana.
and have a warrior.

I've got a ranger/necro.
doing grenth.

other people are in similer straights.
We can survive the first few fights, but the problem is we're not getting enough time to regen. And if we leave the presents TO regen, we loose the game.

kamekazis
24-12-2006, 07:19
I did the grenth one on my ranger worthless skill in my mind Rts and monks have it easy.

MadCatvanHelsing
24-12-2006, 08:58
Grenth:
use Yellow snow + 3 normal snowball, and the enemy is dead.
Use the pillars to hide behind, then jump out and cast.

I used my dervish, and it is helpfull, first enemy you use the avatar for little health, next enemy you use fort, i dont really think Dervish are hard to use
and my personal tip, use a yuletide tonic and candy can weapon, nothing as fun as that.

Straegaard
24-12-2006, 10:12

I haven't had much trouble with the quests

I died during the third wave in "you're a mean one mr. grenth" with my ranger.. (bonus third wave)

So I took my ritualist for a stroll in the uw and I gotta say; jack frost is a GOD down here :DD It's soo easy, especially grenths defense. Having twice as many snowballs flying around really makes a difference..
I did complete grenths defense and the bonus with my ranger too, though

I see alot of people in snowball fights who doesn't seem to know what kiting is. Well, if you don't kite the uw quests is pretty much impossible to finish

Fay Vert
24-12-2006, 12:24
Learn to dodge snowballs, you don't need any other skill than that most of the time, though they do help.

I wish they would rebalance the profession skills a bit though. Some are brilliant in many situation (Jack Frost), some are useless in all situation (flurry).

Elessar Thranduillion
24-12-2006, 13:40
Stop crying because you don't have class X's special skill. Just stop. I did them both on my Dervish, without ever using the Avatar skill, just fine. I even forgot I had it. Christ's sake.

Tamara Nyte
24-12-2006, 13:55
I keep having problems with the Grenth quest too. Normal snowmen aren't that bad, but then some inevitably hit me with avalanche, I believe, and I am crippled. Then I cannot dodge a damn thing. Now I gotta heal after the fight, and cannot get my hidden rock loaded up in time. Also, one type has an interrupt that is nasty, and seems to block everything I try to cast. All these problems end up with me gaining more and more snowmen beating the hell out of me.

I am so happy that this is one of the few places I have to show just how big of a keyboard klutz I am :wink:

Longasc
24-12-2006, 14:03
I suggest everyone who fails the snowball fights gets sent to a bootcamp in the Domain of Anguish, where they are taught to kill demons with bare hand, feet and teeth! :)

Tamara Nyte
24-12-2006, 14:27
Im actually not doing too bad in DoA... go figure :laugh:

Goathands
24-12-2006, 14:34
I did them both with my necro, which means...no use of the special skill for me since well...100% health gone means you fail. lol

I learned that using the fortress was a must and that prepping your snowball with either yellow snow or hidden rock really did the difference. The rest is just manually dodging the other snowballs thrown at you.

dansamy
24-12-2006, 14:41
Learn to strafe. Since I (formerly) moved 100% with the mouse, this isn't easy for me. I've been learning to move with WASD for about a week now. (I just did my first GvG with WASD last night. Yeah, that was fun. Good thing the ladder's locked.)