PDA

View Full Version : Presents dropping in LA and Kamadan

Feannag
25-12-2006, 09:56
And man, those grentches move fast!

Gorani
25-12-2006, 10:04
And man, those grentches move fast!

Well, last year we did not have Fruitcakes. I guess they might have made them faster.

(Sitting under the family christmas tree, this is a rough guess right now:smiley: )

Ryos Vhurn
25-12-2006, 10:50
Too bad they only give you single candy cane shard for returning them...

I mean, last year we at least got a winter gift, which is much better than a shard, in my opinion.

Noblesse
25-12-2006, 11:09
We still have 6 days left (correct me if I am wrong) they still have plenty of time to change what the Young Children give out...

zeeZer
25-12-2006, 11:49
Everyone taunt the grentches stuck at the watchtower ;)

maleki
25-12-2006, 12:09
LOL..i definitly hope that they change what they hand out...
P.S I got stuck behind the dont feed the dwarves sign. I did a quiz show for awhile until I had someone hand me a present back there...the grentches came to destroy it and got sucked in as well...only 1 escaped my void. Im in Kamadan AD3 if you want to see

TalonTheCat
25-12-2006, 13:15
LOL, that is funny - they looked a might irritated.

Cacheelma
25-12-2006, 15:10
....the children give out cc shards now?!

Meh, I'm SO not playing it this year then.

Sjeng
25-12-2006, 16:29
Yeah, running around wasting fruitcakes, and getting nothing but shards kinda spoiled my fun as well... I want eggnog!!! :P

Cranky Dog
25-12-2006, 16:43
The CC shards *are* supposed to do something on Jan 1st according to the news, but what I don't know.

But I think I'll keep hoarding gifts until then open them up when people start talking about getting better stuff.

Karuro
25-12-2006, 16:46
I heard something about giving CC Shards to an avater during the Finale increases the chance of them winning or something :S

I want last year's Gift's back >.<

Master Knightfall
25-12-2006, 17:24
I think if you give all your shards to Grenth that wintersday will last a whole nuther week or two weeks, last year the goody two shoes gave them to Dwayna and so wintersday ended early. So, this year everyone give their shards to Grenth.

olandril
25-12-2006, 17:30
I think if you give all your shards to Grenth that wintersday will last a whole nuther week or two weeks, last year the goody two shoes gave them to Dwayna and so wintersday ended early. So, this year everyone give their shards to Grenth.

No. Who you support has no effect on when it ends. It ends at the same time it would have, nomatter who has more supporters. And no, last year the goody two shoes didnt give them to Dwayna, as last year you didnt even give them at all! And you dont even know if you can this year...

nkuvu
25-12-2006, 18:59
The children give out winter gifts or candy cane shards. I ran a few presents around before going to bed last night, and got 5 winter gifts and about ten shards.

mlbaddict
25-12-2006, 19:08
I've found that Scrappy Jhim always gives me winter gifts -- which can also return... yes... a candy cane shard.

TalonTheCat
25-12-2006, 19:14
This morning I delivered about 50 gifts - I received a shard each time. Most of the time was on the American servers - a few rounds on the ID.

IlikeGW
25-12-2006, 19:26
CC shards are so boring. :/

Karuro
25-12-2006, 19:56
picked up a few more gifts. Got snowman summons and eggnog =D
Edit: Also got peppermint candycanes :o

(Scrappy gifts btw)

maleki
25-12-2006, 21:06
Definitly left my mark on Kamadan AD3...the grentches are still stuck in the sign even after I left...

Ryos Vhurn
25-12-2006, 21:46
I just discovered that if you get a Winter Gift, you have a chance of getting a PEPPERMINT CANDYCANE from it.

No, I'm not lying.

TalonTheCat
25-12-2006, 22:16
Not only did Santa give me a cold for Christmas - he only gives me candy cane shards! :) I am going to go sulk now... *cough* *Cough* *hack*

Guardian_Angel_MP
26-12-2006, 01:26
the ones i gave to scrappy gave me gifts, to the ones by the merchants and by dwayna and grenth avatar give shards (afaik)

Fay Vert
26-12-2006, 01:31
I just discovered that if you get a Winter Gift, you have a chance of getting a PEPPERMINT CANDYCANE from it.

No, I'm not lying.

Yep, I had one on the first night (or was it second?) from a gift.

BTW, what is the point of shards anyway? Once you have a few to get the weapons you want, why bother? The whole Grenth/Dwayna thing is all well and good, but I don't fancy farming two weeks solit just to have a tiny bit of a vote on what hat to receive!

Scutilla
26-12-2006, 01:35
We don't know what the deal is with Candy Cane Shards yet. Presumably ANet will tell us sometime before the event on the first, but so far we don't know anything other than what's been posted on the informational page.

Scrappy gives gifts, you say? Hmm... *runs off to LA*

Saint Troy
26-12-2006, 01:40
It's not just Scrappy, any NAMED child gives a gift, any non-named child gives a shard :grin:

Turn's out there is method to the madness after all :grin:

Stupidname
26-12-2006, 03:09
It's not just Scrappy, any NAMED child gives a gift, any non-named child gives a shard :grin:

Turn's out there is method to the madness after all :grin:

The named children by the bay give shards. All children are named anyway.

halfthought
26-12-2006, 03:17
Not only did Santa give me a cold for Christmas - he only gives me candy cane shards! :) I am going to go sulk now... *cough* *Cough* *hack*

je gave me diarrhea :sad:

*vomit*

Fay Vert
26-12-2006, 04:24
The named children by the bay give shards. All children are named anyway.

No, there are a lot just called "Young Child"

Calynda Danyciar
26-12-2006, 05:21
I tried it a few times this evening, but i don't really like it, the grenchies are to fast..even if i have fruitcake(sugar rush) on me.. and when i foudn out that i only got CC-shards i stopped, but now i hear that you can also get presents..i might try it again tomorrow or something :wink:

maleki
26-12-2006, 07:15
I dont know if those are just rumors but ive tried handing presents to the only children ive seen in Kamadan and nothing...

Feannag
26-12-2006, 16:02
It's easiest in LA american 9; the grentches are all stuck at the lighthouse.:cool:

Zion Farbow
26-12-2006, 17:26
the only way u can survive from grentches without htem catchin up to u is..turnin tight around corners or hope that when u get the present..they aren't within ur radius xD

Saint Troy
27-12-2006, 02:46
It's easiest in LA american 9; the grentches are all stuck at the lighthouse.:cool:

This appears to be the case in a few other districts now ... I watched a guild team stick some out there this evening, it was hilarious, and makes the present game easier, the only problem now is getting to the presents before other players :grin: .

Shazard
27-12-2006, 03:24
What's the different between the Peppermint candy cane items and the regular candy cane items? Is it just the skin? I still want one anyway, lol.

Nevermind, I thought you meant wintergreen weapon :(

Stupidname
27-12-2006, 04:03
This appears to be the case in a few other districts now ... I watched a guild team stick some out there this evening, it was hilarious, and makes the present game easier, the only problem now is getting to the presents before other players :grin: .

Grentches being stuck doesn't make it easier, you have to beat everyone else camping the spawn points.

Xycury
27-12-2006, 04:17
is it just me, or do the presents spawn slower..........

TalonTheCat
27-12-2006, 04:21
Theory is that if the Gentch's get purposefully stuck, the drop rate goes down.

Kariudo
27-12-2006, 04:29
is it just me, or do the presents spawn slower..........

They are much slower if the grentches are stuck and people are camping the spawn points

Saint Troy
27-12-2006, 04:31
Theory is that if the Gentch's get purposefully stuck, the drop rate goes down.

In my experience, they spawn as soon as the previous one is delivered, campers and stuck Grentches not withstanding.

All the Europe English LA districts seem to have stuch grentches, spawn campers, and plenty presents spawning.

Seef II
27-12-2006, 04:40
Last year, it was much more fun to glitch 'em at the Random Arenas sign, which was removed when the Battle Isles were implemented.

Saint Troy
27-12-2006, 06:25
I realised why it seems that the presents spawn slower.

With stuck grentches, more people are taking the presents to Scrappy Jhim, rather than any old child, as Scrappy gives winter gifts, which can give you Peppermint Candy Canes :grin: .

It takes longer to run presents to him instead of the usual nearest child, (especially from the other side of the city), so people camping spawn points are not seeing presents as fequently as they would be if people were just going to the nearest child.

Fay Vert
27-12-2006, 13:32
Some game facts and tips

There is only 1 present in play at a time, so a new one wont appear until the grench get it, or a player hands it to a child.

Grenches get stuck in a few places but will become unstuck as soon as a player picks up a present within a certain range. The only place where grench get perma-stuck is at the lighthouse if a present spawns there, because it's so far away. You can unstick them easily just by bringing a present up there.

Grench move at the same speed you do after eating fruitcake.

When a present drops, the grench go to that spot, even if the present is no-longer there, they will go straight through you carrying it and ignore you. As soon as they get to that spot, they will then go to the player carrying the present. They will do this even if that person has handed it in and there is another present in play, the grench will only seek the new present when they have caught the player carrying the last one. So you can keep one step ahead of them.

Last night, I ran about 40 presents in a little over an hour and got 14 peppermint candy canes :) yum. I farm the tengu north of LA for their scalps to get fruitcake and wintergreen candy canes. You could also go to the monastry and buy bean cakes for 400!

Bob B
27-12-2006, 14:33
... I farm the tengu north of LA for their scalps ..

I've been soloing Piken Square's tar pit and Nolani Academy mission (press the gate lever) for Charr Carvings.

Saint Troy
27-12-2006, 18:14
Some game facts and tips

There is only 1 present in play at a time, so a new one wont appear until the grench get it, or a player hands it to a child.

Grenches get stuck in a few places but will become unstuck as soon as a player picks up a present within a certain range. The only place where grench get perma-stuck is at the lighthouse if a present spawns there, because it's so far away. You can unstick them easily just by bringing a present up there.

Grench move at the same speed you do after eating fruitcake.

When a present drops, the grench go to that spot, even if the present is no-longer there, they will go straight through you carrying it and ignore you. As soon as they get to that spot, they will then go to the player carrying the present. They will do this even if that person has handed it in and there is another present in play, the grench will only seek the new present when they have caught the player carrying the last one. So you can keep one step ahead of them.

Last night, I ran about 40 presents in a little over an hour and got 14 peppermint candy canes :) yum. I farm the tengu north of LA for their scalps to get fruitcake and wintergreen candy canes. You could also go to the monastry and buy bean cakes for 400!

Saw you in-game last night, one of the Euro English districts (I can't remember which one, I was in all of them for a bit) :grin: .

Sorry I didn't say hello :sad: .

Fay Vert
28-12-2006, 05:05
Gargoyle Skulls outside Nolani look best so far for collectors stuff.

I got accused of being a cheat tonight by a spawn point camper because I was using fruitcake! He finally got a present and held onto it like a baby (the grench were stuck). He then proceded to lecture me about taking drugs! wtf lol! Fruitcake!

Camping spawn points is a really poor way to play, you must get about 3 presents an hour doing that! Less if a fruitcake runner is in the district :grin:

Noa Brightington
28-12-2006, 07:45
I'm seeing a lot of that lately. present spawnpoint campers, especially around scrappy. He seems to be the only one giveing out the old gifts.

Grintches are no faster or slower then before. Just the fruitcake evens the odds. The above poster noteing the grintches behavior is correct.
Theoreticly, if you have friends there, you could pass the present off like a football and grintches would have to go from one person to the next.
But they would eventually catch up.

But like others said, it's not the grintches, it's the players you have to watch out for. To many present spawn campers. I've gotten maybe... 5 presents thisentire season.

Gaile said the peppemint were considered to powerful, and my guess is this they didn't intend on haveing any way of gaining them this year. My guess is scrappy is something they forgot to change. Since the season is near over, they probably figgure it's not worth messing with at this point, and it'll all go back to normal after wintersday anyway. So the people desprately trying to get presents this year from scrappy are a little more despratethen usual.
(my guess is after this is all over, peppermint canes will go for 4-5k.
And here I thought we did good selling them about mid november for 800g each to a few people. oi...)

personally, I don't consider the peppermint canes to be game breaking.
Especially since you can't use them in pvp situations.
I do think they are pretty powerful though, and should be uncommon to get. not rare or 'discontinued rareity'.

Anyway, we deal with it. this is anet's game, we're just along for the ride.

Sorry for the rant.

Feannag
28-12-2006, 09:39
I tried a little experiment this evening. I took a present up to where the grenches were stuck in La and dropped it on them. This somehow managed to get one unstuck. Sure, I sacrificed getting a present, but I'm sure the spawn campers will appreciate it if more people were to do this.:devil:

loux
28-12-2006, 12:23
I dont know if anyone has said this yet but, if you give your pressie to Scrappy Jhim in Lion's Arch he gives you a winter gift - so far i got snowman summoner and spiked egg nog

Fay Vert
28-12-2006, 12:42
I tried a little experiment this evening. I took a present up to where the grenches were stuck in La and dropped it on them. This somehow managed to get one unstuck. Sure, I sacrificed getting a present, but I'm sure the spawn campers will appreciate it if more people were to do this.:devil:

I told the camper this as he was ranting and raving over my "cheating", you don't even need to drop it usually, just get within radar of them and they will usually spring back to life. Campers need the grench to respawn the far presents. If you have fruitcake you don't even lose the present.

Of course, runners prefer it slightly if the grench are stuck, and you can arrange this by taking a present to the lighthouse, but campers have the advantage here, because the runner has to lose the present to do this.

Scyfer
29-12-2006, 02:12
Gargoyle Skulls outside Nolani look best so far for collectors stuff.

I got accused of being a cheat tonight by a spawn point camper because I was using fruitcake! He finally got a present and held onto it like a baby (the grench were stuck). He then proceded to lecture me about taking drugs! wtf lol! Fruitcake!

Camping spawn points is a really poor way to play, you must get about 3 presents an hour doing that! Less if a fruitcake runner is in the district :grin:

Yeah, the rants with/about spawn campers in LA are fairly retarded. I had 2 "brothers" harassing me when I took a couple of presents from the spot they had camped for hours. They spent so much time making fun, dancing, chasing me that I grabbed the presents over and over...

sumrtym
29-12-2006, 02:31
Good thing I still have over 300 peppermint canes stockpiled then. Never sold them.