PDA

View Full Version : The Lore Forum gets a bit of credit..

Gmr Leon
27-12-2006, 02:46
To a select few who hang around in the Lore Forum or involved themselves in the lore it seems Anet felt the need to give us a little something. In the Halls of Chokhin a few of us are actually immortalized in the game as NPCs!

Scutilla. Sakutila.

Chiton. Librarian Chitohn.

Quintus Antonius. Master Librarian Antohneeous. I'm unsure if that's the actual spelling.

Gmr Leon. Librarian Gahmir Lenon.

Eratimus. Librarian Ehratohmus. I think is how it's spelled.

Ranger Nietzsche. Nichi the Ranger.

Mularc Templare. Librarian Mulaurk. I think is how it's spelled.

Kalidri. Librarian Kahilidri. I'm unsure on the spelling of it too.

Congratulations to all of the above I was able to find there! Our hard work was for something after all! :laugh:

A special thanks to Mularc's NPC who made me realize it wasn't just a strange coincidence!

AshG
27-12-2006, 02:49
Wow! Awesome!

I need to spend more time around here, then, and contribute a little more.

To those of you enshrined in the game in such a manner, I salute you.

edit: I just checked the list of NPCs in the library - are these recent additions, because the names you listed aren't in the General NPC list?

Quintus Antonius
27-12-2006, 02:50
Were those always the names of the NPCs there? I can't believe I've never noticed them. If you get a chance, screenshots would be nice, as would the texts of what they say. For instance, you mentioned your's talks about Orrian lore, and your claim to fame here in the LF is Orrian historian. Mularc is our Titans expert, and I'm the authority on the Mursaat, just to name a few examples. Do they talk about similar topics?

Gmr Leon
27-12-2006, 02:53
I'll log in and get a few screenshots here and there. If anyone feels like coming along they can. It's a stroll through getting there.

Got em. Uploading them onto Photobucket right now and will post em as soon as it finishes.

Quintus Antonius
27-12-2006, 03:09
I wonder if any others are there. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are named after us, I just can't figure out the naming conventions.

Gmr Leon
27-12-2006, 03:14
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw846.jpg

Heh..Can't believe I didn't realize that after reading it..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw847.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw845.jpg

That hit me square in the face..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw849.jpg

...Heh....

Gmr Leon
27-12-2006, 03:16
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw852.jpg

...A bit of a longshot on the name with you Kalidri.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw851.jpg

..Made me laugh a bit..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw850.jpg

Chton and Ranger Nietzsche are arguing over semantics..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/GmrLeon00/gw848.jpg

Last,but not least,myself.

Kalidri
27-12-2006, 03:16
Ok...a nod to my vanity...said I would not make racket about it, but since there is a thread...ok. I ran out and looked at myself. I do say that Sakutila is my absolute favorite among them. However, here I am...I will let Scutilla post himself if he is so inclined. I will say that I laughed but I also got a little teary eyed - zoology and the life sciences were the first loves of my life. Fortune and time have forced me away from them...funny to have it recognised in a game. Odd world.

http://www.michelewickham.com/gw/fangirl.jpg

Gmr Leon
27-12-2006, 03:19
Ash I'm not sure. I only got Nightfall yesterday and made my way there when I decided to wander around. I must say..I've always wanted to be a NPC.

Ragnarok-
27-12-2006, 03:25
Wow, congrats, that's amazing!

Quintus Antonius
27-12-2006, 03:28
Hahahaha! Oh man, I love what the guy named after me says. I think they captured the major personalities of the Lore Forum perfectly. I especially love Cthon's, since he and some others were at each other's throats about the validity of the Manuscripts.

That was recent though, they must have updated the texts of those characters fairly recently. I swear that little debate happened after Nightfall's release.

Apparently someone at ANet thinks I have a nice name, that's flattering. And that bit about always checking and never forgetting to check your sources is so me. I'm always on people about not checking or citing sources, and usually end up ranting about how people never read anything thus the "Always forget to check your sources" embeded within "Never forget to check your sources".

I have to give some major Kudos to ANet for this. It is an honor, really. Thanks! Wish he said something about the Mursaat though...

Gmr Leon
27-12-2006, 03:32
They probably would have had it not been due to the fact that they're supposed to be stand-alone. I think Anet took a glance at my profile for the next to last line of text in Gahmir Lenon's dialogue.

I'm not sure,but by chance do you think they added these along with the Wintersday update?

Quintus Antonius
27-12-2006, 03:54
Nichi the Ranger's text and Anthoneoss's texts have been like that for awhile. I just missed the play on words. I think they have always been there and we just missed them. However, some of them must have been stealth inserted, as some of the events are recent. For instance, the events Eratimus and Cthon's parodies are based off of didn't even happen till a few weeks after Nightfall's release.

lavenbb
27-12-2006, 03:56
Aha, so they did make a library out of the lore forum!

I still remember someone requesting it before XD

Edit: Yeah, some of them are definitely new. That place always bugged me since everyone said it's a library, but where are the books? but then now that you make the link, the lore forum is indeed a library without books, so it's actually right.. hmm..

Quintus Antonius
27-12-2006, 04:12
I think we are suppose to assume that the scrolling glyphs on the banners is the information in question.

Barinthus
27-12-2006, 04:56
Oooh I'm envious

Still that's awesome and here's a hat off to each of you guys.

Seyfert
27-12-2006, 05:45
nice props to you guys

terakhan
27-12-2006, 05:57
Now I am curious if guru got any npcs, or if you guys swept it.

Tsume
27-12-2006, 07:14
Now I am curious if guru got any npcs, or if you guys swept it.

As far as Lore is concerned, theres no way Quint and crew can be topped. These guys are the battlefield demons of lore warfare.

I'm happy to see some Devs recognized this fact as well. And you guys would be surprised how large an ammount of NPCs and other easter eggs are references to testers, forum frequenters, pop culture, etc etc.

Makes you wonder, eh?

The library is a perfect setting for your animated embodiment guys...keep up the good work. As if it were work to you fellows.... Whether argueing or researching I get the distinct feeling you're enjoying it....

Mularc Templare
27-12-2006, 07:32
Lol..I must say that when Gmr sent me a PM about this my first thought was to rush out and have a look :P It's insanely kool.

Believe it or not I actually missed a couple of the connections...guess I need to stay a bit closer to this forum ey?

My guildies have a thread running in our forums about it...I'm feeling a bit embarresed. I don't know whether anyone else has actually thought of this, but one of the guildies (Bowman Artemis - check some of Gaile's chat logs...) suggested I PM Gaile, so that is precisely what I did.

And yes, captured our personalities in a bottle methinks :)

Oh well, time to go back to this Talmark runes (hopefully I'm not doing all this research and they're already translated :P)

Mularc

P.S, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm enjoying this a hell of a lot...even if it does come out in flames sometimes....

shadowhand
27-12-2006, 08:52
Whoa. I protected those librarians from a margonite assassination attempt and I never noticed that they were named after you guys.

Despite having first been lured to this site by the lore forum, where I lurked and browsed various articles and treatises... So, all the names are familiar to me, but, I never caught the connection until now.

That's great, how the npcs are named after notable fans, though. I love that.

Congrats guys and girls.

moenbase
27-12-2006, 11:46
Excellent findings!
Haha. Gratz to the people who are in. But also credits to those who helped ofcourse.

Zaa Nayazu
27-12-2006, 12:59
Really Happy for you guys. You guys obviously know what you are doing since Anet did this, so keep up the good work!

Therese Fireside
27-12-2006, 14:18
I've never bothered to post in the lore forum, or at least I don't think I have, but I do really enjoy reading everyones thoughts.

My personal pittfall is that I'm not able to read into things very deeply, I take them at face value, so it sure is a lot of fun to me to read the thoughts of everyone who posts here and draw my own conclusions.

Anywho, I just wanted to congratulate each and everyone of you, whether you were recognized in game or not, your findings are important to at least one eager reader.

Quintus Antonius
27-12-2006, 16:17
I rather feel bad about all those people who are the meat and bones of the Lore Forum that didn't get recognition. So let me take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate everyone who posts here, whether I agree with them, or they agree with me is irrelevent, you are all contributors to what makes this forum great.

That said, I wonder why they choose those people in specific? Obviously, Eratimus and myself are givens, but their are people who post much more here and didn't get mentioned. I notice that everyone mentioned has written papers, or made contributions in some way to the overall lore. We've been asking for confirmation of our theories for a long time, is this their way of dropping hints or saying that they agree with certain theories? For instance, Mularc's paper on the Titans was confirmed with the release of the Domain of Anguish, however, Mularc's NPC was there saying that long before DoA was released. It seems they were inadvertantly saying "Yup, you got it Mularc!" before they confirmed it with DoA.

Or alternatively, were they just capturing the various personality traits within the Lore Forum?

EDIT: I'm going to post all the NPCs from that area here in a list. I can't shake the feeling that most, if not all, are named after Lore Forumers. So, if you recognize a play-on your username here, please point it out! (List credit: Guildwiki)

Archivist Leiton
Archivist Mijir
Kachok
Princess Leifah
Scholar Aiki
Scholar Belzar
Scholar Dakkun
Scholar Gahesh
Scholar Kammab
Scholar Koben
Scholar Mehdok
Scholar Zelkun
Ahnduriz Bohim
Master Librarian Antohneoss*
Librarian Ehrahtimos*
Librarian Mularuk*
Librarian Nichi the Ranger*
Librarian Kahlidahri*
Sakutila*
Librarian Chitohn*
Librarian Gahmir Lenon*
Librarian Kahnu
Olujime (Collector)
Deshwa (Merchant)
Lajari (Rare Scroll Trader)
Karmu (Rune Trader)

* Indicates known identity

Thoughts: Librarian Kahnu has to be named after someone, as all the others are, and Ahnduriz Bohim almost certainly must refer to a person here as he speaks of his work never getting proper recognition. So if you recognize yourself in one of these NPCs, point it out!

nkuvu
27-12-2006, 18:21
Kudos to ArenaNet for putting this into the game. Very nifty indeed. (And I laughed out loud at Sakutila's quote ^_^ )

In regards to the list of NPCs, they may be Lore Forum contributors, or they could be employees, or they could be testers, or just made up names that resemble something that "should" be derived from a player's name. -shrug-

Barinthus
27-12-2006, 18:38
Or some posters just happen to stand out more than others. It's still cool that Anet is finding ways of incorporating the community into the game design.

soulwar
27-12-2006, 19:51
/cheer

I want a bumper sticker that says, "My guild leader is an official NPC!"

On second thought, that sounds odd. "My guild leader is a non-player-character."

EDIT: I checked the wiki-that-must-not-be-named. It added a trivia section about your characters and you.

Quintus Antonius
27-12-2006, 22:12
That was added by Leon and me, actually. :tongue:

soulwar
28-12-2006, 00:47
*looks away*

I knew that.

I don't doubt anyone, but has ANet said anything about this?(even though it's super-obvious)

Mularc Templare
28-12-2006, 01:01
Yes, I'm sorry..in my haste I forgot to thank all those who have helped. For example, I haven't actully written anything for a long while in the form of an article, yet several others who have written articles after me with more relevance have not been portreyed.

Also, I'd like to again thank those that helped me in my own reseach - it couldn't have been done without your help.

As for requesting Anet's responce, I actually PMed Gaile a while ago, but have got no responce. I've already asked my guildy to ask about it the next time Gaile drops in-game and he's available.

Keep up the good work,

Mularc

Arkhan The Black
28-12-2006, 01:38
Congratulations, :thumbsup: the gods know you have earned this with all your scroll digging, researching characters, stalking monsters and crawling around in old dusty places all around Tyria.

Good to see some recognition from the devs.

Gmr Leon
28-12-2006, 15:35
Mularc I wish your guildmate good luck in that. Right after I found and realized the NPCs were named after a few of us Gaile came on. I attempted to ask her for confirmation,but with no luck.

Quintus Antonius
28-12-2006, 17:11
What's it matter if they confirm it or not? Might as well ask if we influenced the story of Nightfall in anyway. This is just their way of giving us a nod for our influence on the story and game. If you look at the people they protrayed, at least those with the librarian title, all of their theories had some influence on Nightfall. Eratimus translated the maps and runes, and was the first to suggest a connection to an ancient civilization in the Desert (which turns out to be true), Mularc did smashing and ground breaking research on the Titans, which was confirmed, Leon investigated Orr and the Vizier turned into a major player in Nightfall, and I've been playing the "Mursaat are good guys" and "Method to godhood" cards since Prophecies, which both turned out to be true with the revelations of Abaddon and Kormir. Collectively, we all predicted Dhuum and Menzie's influences, and we've been following this storyline since before it was written.

So, I'm personally flattered for this representation of the Lore Forum in game. To me it seems like ANet's way of saying "Thanks and good work guys".

EDIT: I just had a "duh" moment. Nichi the Ranger's dialouge refers to how Ranger Nietzche is always figuring out map proportions!

teh Monkeys
28-12-2006, 18:31
I rather feel bad about all those people who are the meat and bones of the Lore Forum that didn't get recognition.

Somehow, I doubt if the goods folks of Anet could get away with creating an NPC called teh monkeys, or something similar. Ah, such is life. :laugh:

soulwar
28-12-2006, 18:35
Maybe they're taking your ideas and making the campaigns with them!

Gmr Leon
28-12-2006, 20:17
I think they pretty much already did. Except they didn't do so very straightforwardly. All they did is reveal that we helped influence the storyline.

Forgotten Legend
28-12-2006, 22:39
heh, i *knew* all those names sounded familiar when i visited 'the library' (as i call it)... i guess the brain don't add 2+2 very well at 4 in the AM when i paid my respects.

Grats fella's and ladies. time to tap the ANET-really-does-appreciate-the-lore-hardcorists keg :grin:

soulwar
29-12-2006, 01:12
Hmm...

Maybe if the Lore people agree to do it, in chapter 4, there could be flying monkeys and purple elephants! Woohoo!

teh Monkeys
29-12-2006, 20:04
I'm curious. Could someone post what the 'unidentified' npcs say:?

Art
29-12-2006, 20:12
Well that's nice.

A truer gift could not have been had.

Well done guys!

-Art

Ranger Nietzsche
29-12-2006, 22:35
lol I go off skiing for 3 days and come back to this.

At first i thought my dialouge was based off of all the early Realm of Torment quests I posted. But then i realized that NPC has been there since release...and that like QA ive actually met myself and was unaware.

I like the joke about my mapping ... but the best is the argument my NPC has with Chitons. Here is a transcript

Nichi: "Your assertions are dangerous Chitohn"
Chitohn: "You really don't understand what I'm saying do you, Nichi? That isn't the point at all."
Nichi: "I understand your argument, Chitohn, but I believe you are mistaken on a few points."
Chitohn: "Here I am trying to explain things and you simply won't listen."
Nichi: "You're debating semantics, my friend."
Chitohn: "You're clearly ignoring the evidence."
Nichi: "Think about the implications of what you are saying."
Chitohn": "Is there nothing we can agree on, Nichi?"

it actually varies, they just spout them out randomly not having a real conversation but those are the lines.

I'm finally no longer jealous, since nearly every member of my guild already has NPC's in our 치 The Spearmen 치 quest on Istan.

Kalidri
29-12-2006, 23:04
This little zoologist needs to get on the stick and finish the bestiary (I have all the pictures and I also recentlyc came across a GIGANTIC starfish to add to the first entry (mod powers FTW!). I did one entry and received this honor...I feel so...sorry in a way that the more regular people did not get it instead of me.

Of course, some little part of me is a little scared or a little honored that someone at Anet read my fanfic - there's lots of animals in that story..two that figure as pivotal to the plot.

Though of course this just shows what a neat crew you all are. I've really enjoyed reading lore forums for the last year...even if it is to have a giggle at the arguments over...well...silly things.

Love ya all and so honored to be in your company ingame! (and am I the only female librarian? Does that mean i get to go SHHH and wear hornrim glasses?)

mrmango
30-12-2006, 02:34
Congrats guys! I got to go /bow to you at teh Library.

Ranger Nietzsche
30-12-2006, 03:02
you deserve it kalidri...that bestiary was a massive project and very impressive, it taught me to look around more and check out the little animals that make up the scenery

Kalidri
30-12-2006, 03:57
you deserve it kalidri...that bestiary was a massive project and very impressive, it taught me to look around more and check out the little animals that make up the scenery

So who's up for the Jade Sea Paleontology expedition? :cutie:

Only cooler things than live animals are ones that have turned to stone! (in the minds of many 10yo kids...however I've still not found a t-rex).

I found the hugest petrified jellyfish the other day...probably the ancestor of the irukanji!

Blazing Liger
30-12-2006, 08:39
Wow, congrats guys! That is freakin' AWESOME! Now I just have to contribute more so I can get myself an NPC someday...heh. :rolleyes:

Quintus Antonius
30-12-2006, 18:39
To be honest, BL, I thought of you when I read the dialouge of that one guard who feels ignored by his peers, since that mimics your feelings after your highly accurate Naga paper. Of course, that'd mean they mistook you for a male (like everyone seems to do).

Gmr Leon
30-12-2006, 20:26
To be honest, BL, I thought of you when I read the dialouge of that one guard who feels ignored by his peers, since that mimics your feelings after your highly accurate Naga paper. Of course, that'd mean they mistook you for a male (like everyone seems to do with every actual female player).

Alright..That's better. Because we all know that's true.

Blazing Liger
30-12-2006, 23:28
To be honest, BL, I thought of you when I read the dialouge of that one guard who feels ignored by his peers, since that mimics your feelings after your highly accurate Naga paper. Of course, that'd mean they mistook you for a male (like everyone seems to do).

Yeah, but the name of that one doesn't sound anything like mine. And I'd be very annoyed if ANet mistook me for a male...I said in my intro post to this forum that I was female specifically so people wouldn't be confused!!! Perhaps I should have named myself Blazing Ligress? :huh: Now, if there were an NPC named Blayzeen Legrah or something who talked about Canthan monster races... :laugh:

Still, I think it's awesome that you guys got some credit from ANet! ^.^

Scutilla
03-01-2007, 01:48
Huh, didn't realize that other people from this forum were in there- I only spotted Sakutila a week or so ago, and only because Erasculio pointed him out to me. (On second thought, he probably knew about it from reading this thread. >.<)

It's strange that all of the other people enshrined there are from the Lore forum, while I'm the only one from elsewhere- I feel bad now for discontinuing the battles... :undecided: In any case, I'm honored that they immortalized me as an NPC- I'm living the geek dream :grin:

Here's Saku in all his glory, with Tobias and the original Scutilla. (Unfortunately he wouldn't stand still for a good shot... must have to keep moving to keep the creative juices flowing :laugh:)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Scutilla/GW%20SF/sakutila1.png

Gmr Leon
03-01-2007, 02:08
So who's up for the Jade Sea Paleontology expedition? :cutie:

Assuming you were being serious here if you ever do need some help other henchmen or heroes I'm always usually not doing much of anything. Leon Wyvern is the name in-game. For some reason I get the feeling I've run into you at the boat..

Anywho..Sakutila obviously drank to much coffee and has so many various ideas going through his mind he has to keep walking..and walking..and walking..:laugh:

keroshinigami
03-01-2007, 10:37
wow, this is too cool.

im very glad to see you guys carved into the game. if it weren't for all of you on the lore forum i wouldn't have joined this forum. its because of you guys ive become so much more into the history of guild wars (on top of playing like a freak)

Laken Cascade
03-01-2007, 14:14
Bout time , you gusy deserve it , thanks to you guys i've grown to enjoy the rich vibrant culture of the guiold wars world

But trust me :) , when games are designed you will find references all over the place

Degas
03-01-2007, 15:02
Huh, didn't realize that other people from this forum were in there- I only spotted Sakutila a week or so ago, and only because Erasculio pointed him out to me. (On second thought, he probably knew about it from reading this thread. >.<)

It's strange that all of the other people enshrined there are from the Lore forum, while I'm the only one from elsewhere- I feel bad now for discontinuing the battles... :undecided: In any case, I'm honored that they immortalized me as an NPC- I'm living the geek dream :grin:

Here's Saku in all his glory, with Tobias and the original Scutilla. (Unfortunately he wouldn't stand still for a good shot... must have to keep moving to keep the creative juices flowing :laugh:)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Scutilla/GW%20SF/sakutila1.png

Wowwow wait, you are Tobias Dalaran? I run into you in town the other day and almost PMed you, I didn't because I didn't notice you were a Ranger. My female Ranger is named Krysta Dalaran. Hehe, maybe they are family

Kalidri
03-01-2007, 16:19
Assuming you were being serious here if you ever do need some help other henchmen or heroes I'm always usually not doing much of anything. Leon Wyvern is the name in-game. For some reason I get the feeling I've run into you at the boat..

Anywho..Sakutila obviously drank to much coffee and has so many various ideas going through his mind he has to keep walking..and walking..and walking..:laugh:

Well, when I get in my "got to do something freaky mode" I will be out running around Rhea's Crater...goodstuff is in there. I am working on my fish paper right now...its going slowly because I spotted more fish in Elona and now I am trying to find them again....grrr.

Rob Van Der Sloot
04-01-2007, 03:48
Grats on the npcs guys, you've earned it. The text about the Titans made me laugh out loud, haha.

This is obviously also a hint from anet to keep up the good work.

Quintus Antonius
05-01-2007, 18:19
The one thing you cannot deny about this addition is that now we have a huge scramble of forum posters writing huge, sometimes well thought-out, and often duplicate, theories. I guarantee this is people trying to get in the game as an NPC =P

teh Monkeys
05-01-2007, 18:23
Somehow I doubt they'll add more npcs because people spam in a gaming forum. o.0

Quintus Antonius
05-01-2007, 18:26
I completely agree. But I can't help but think people are suddenly interested in lore again because now there is a chance at getting an NPC named after you.

They seriously need to add a "Librarian Simian" (teh Monkeys) who talks about GL.

Kalidri
05-01-2007, 18:27
Poor Quintus...more folks putting out wierd theories.

I do admit that I feel more likely to post in lore since I found out about this. Hmm, good or bad I don't know...I guess I feel like I belong here a little more. I hope I come across as knowing something useful on occassion. Otherwise, I am afraid my talents lay mostly in creative fib-weaving (fanfic). Which is not to say I don't read the lore forums daily to give me more ideas on my stories.

Quintus Antonius
05-01-2007, 18:32
I can't help but think Hanbahd the Anchorite and Librarian Kahnu, as well as Anhduriz Bohim are named after someone on these forums, but I can't figure out who! haha

The Stiehl
05-01-2007, 18:39
Hm, even I can't decide on how to pronounce my name. How do I know I'm not in there? :laugh:

teh Monkeys
05-01-2007, 19:42
They seriously need to add a "Librarian Simian" (teh Monkeys) who talks about GL.

Maybe they didn't add an npc because I'm wrong. :p

Sarah Frost
05-01-2007, 20:42

In order for them to add that NPC they would have to confirm or deny at least part of our speculations about them... it would really be hard not to at least say that the bones are in fact from GLs (which still isn't actually stated anywhere... but is hard not to believe...).

Pub-O
05-01-2007, 23:09
this is the most awesome desplay of fan support I have ever seen. Absolutely incredible.

Anet f**king rocks. I just wish they would be more vocal.. I wish all their developers - all the engineers, marketing guys and artists would hang out with the community and play the game. why is gailie grey the only one who wants to interacte?

I wanna know about jeff strains favorite cerial, I wanna know about whats james phinnys favorite food. I just wanna know more stuff about them.. lets hear them. lets hear Anet talk about the game, and defend their choices, and interacte. its a social and community game. they gotta keep the flame up for us to take.

lavenbb
05-01-2007, 23:51
this is the most awesome desplay of fan support I have ever seen. Absolutely incredible.

Anet f**king rocks. I just wish they would be more vocal.. I wish all their developers - all the engineers, marketing guys and artists would hang out with the community and play the game. why is gailie grey the only one who wants to interacte?

I wanna know about jeff strains favorite cerial, I wanna know about whats james phinnys favorite food. I just wanna know more stuff about them.. lets hear them. lets hear Anet talk about the game, and defend their choices, and interacte. its a social and community game. they gotta keep the flame up for us to take.

Wow.. Fanatic..

I think the other NPCs could be from other forums, yes, they exist, Quintus :tongue:

Gmr Leon
06-01-2007, 01:37
Wow.. Fanatic..

I think the other NPCs could be from other forums, yes, they exist, Quintus :tongue:

They do,but usually their Lore Forums aren't as maintained as this one. For instance in Guru's they've had crud about "I found Patrick the Starfish! Help me find Spongebob!" in their Lore Forum. I can't say I've been to any other forums that have a Lore Forum though.

lavenbb
06-01-2007, 02:53
They do,but usually their Lore Forums aren't as maintained as this one. For instance in Guru's they've had crud about "I found Patrick the Starfish! Help me find Spongebob!" in their Lore Forum. I can't say I've been to any other forums that have a Lore Forum though.

I like the research on Scarab plague on Guru. While they might not have a definite conclusion and link to the GW history theorized (due to their no creative writing, facts only style), I don't see anything remotely about the scarab plague here, and seeing their screenshots there are plenty of references in game littered everywhere on Istan. Look through the surface :)

Magi_ofDeath
07-01-2007, 04:47
This little zoologist needs to get on the stick and finish the bestiary (I have all the pictures and I also recentlyc came across a GIGANTIC starfish to add to the first entry (mod powers FTW!). I did one entry and received this honor...I feel so...sorry in a way that the more regular people did not get it instead of me.

May I get a link to the work you've done please Zen, thanks. Just curious to see your work.

Oh and the only problem with you NPC people is that you die too quick in "Protect the Learned" and you guys are only level 10. :P

Kalidri
09-01-2007, 02:28
May I get a link to the work you've done please Zen, thanks. Just curious to see your work.

Oh and the only problem with you NPC people is that you die too quick in "Protect the Learned" and you guys are only level 10. :P

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423510

But Magi, you may recall I was always very talented at dying :)

Barinthus
09-01-2007, 18:07

I used to frequent Guru because they had better resources (IMHO and it was back then... things have changed since then) but the reason I started to come here is because of the Lore Forum and cannot devote my time to two forums.

sequel
10-01-2007, 17:01
Wow, thumbs up for Anet and congrats to you research guys.

On the other hand could personalized NPC be considered corruption money in order to hide the truth ? Just a side-joke :grin:

Keep up the good work.

kagie
10-01-2007, 17:32
This also supports other people to suport the lore forum....
Maybe I should meddle myselfs in the discussions myselfs... hmm...

upier
14-01-2007, 09:43
oki - i bloody hate nightfall, i never visit the lore forums - but ....
this is just too freaking cool for words!
read about it yesterday over at wiki and i though 'wow - how cool is that!'
superb work guys!
and 3 cheers for anet for doing something this freaking nice!

ShadowSword
14-01-2007, 10:02
Well done guys, this is a great recognition. So many of the things you've found out tally up with what happens, it's amazing. Well done to Anet as well because this is a fantastic display of fan relations.

Tuor Son Of Huor
30-01-2007, 19:27
This is very cool! Gratz to all you lads for contributing so much to this game's rich backstory.

I also have an NPC, Tuor (found in the RoT somewhere); but I doubt he has anything to do specifically with me :)

shawn
29-03-2007, 06:08
I can't help but think Hanbahd the Anchorite and Librarian Kahnu, as well as Anhduriz Bohim are named after someone on these forums, but I can't figure out who! hahaJust found this thread through a link on CDF, and thought I'd give it a bump to clarify some information. I don't believe that 'Anhduriz Bohim' visits this forum, however I could be mistaken. Nevertheless, it's named after 'Andreas Bohem', who was (or is) an alpha tester.
As a general rule of thumb, you'll find that NPCs which have a first and last name are named after testers (for example, the actors in Resplendent Makuun), while those of us that are primarily PvP-focused were instead given bosses using char names or handles. (For example, mine: http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Shaunur_the_Divine)

Ranger Nietzsche
29-03-2007, 06:17
Not always true though. The Spearmen guild was is and will always be PvP focused but the quest about us and all of the NPCs we have are just people, not bosses using character names and handles

shawn
29-03-2007, 06:27
Not always true though. The Spearmen guild was is and will always be PvP focused but the quest about us and all of the NPCs we have are just people, not bosses using character names and handlesYeah, there are also some examples of people who I would consider to be PvP based but instead have 'real name' based NPCs. (And actually some that have both, too!) But no, there definitely aren't any strict rules for their naming conventions.. It's just their way of saying 'thanks' to those who contribute a lot to GW and/or the community.

Nanashi
29-03-2007, 06:58
hehe awesome. If I were ever to be modled as an NPC no doubt me and Antonious would be arguing over the Mursaat's purpose... yet rooting for the same ending. xD

thulsey
30-03-2007, 04:34
By the way, another nod to Quintus Antonius -

Always... no, no... never... forget to check your references.

A direct quote from the Dean of Pacific University to young Mitch Taylor on his first day as a 15 year old college freshman in the movie Real Genius.

So, cool name and a smart dude... heh!

Quintus Antonius
30-03-2007, 05:36
hehe awesome. If I were ever to be modled as an NPC no doubt me and Antonious would be arguing over the Mursaat's purpose... yet rooting for the same ending. xD

Considering Mursaat have Latin, Greek, or Anglo-Saxon names, they should name a Mursaat NPC in Eye of the North (if there are any) Antonius the Wise or something, haha.

yakslappin
12-04-2007, 12:42
Considering Mursaat have Latin, Greek, or Anglo-Saxon names, they should name a Mursaat NPC in Eye of the North (if there are any) Antonius the Wise or something, haha.

ahah it would fit :laugh: grats btw guys:flowers:

Endamir
12-04-2007, 16:24
Congratulations to everyone. I think you deserved it after such a long time of discussing and discovering new things about the lore of each continent :smiley:

Troal
13-04-2007, 02:54
The one thing you cannot deny about this addition is that now we have a huge scramble of forum posters writing huge, sometimes well thought-out, and often duplicate, theories. I guarantee this is people trying to get in the game as an NPC =P

:grin: :grin: :grin: :laugh:

"Everyone wants to be like you." I know I do. To have this kind of recognition in such a great game is truly an honour - I salute both you and ANet.

I love to speculate, and now I have an awesome reason to start speculating.

vivalabail
16-04-2007, 00:28
I only recently came to these forums, but I can assure you, I am nto doing it for NPC-ness, I am always looking at things from the possibility side of thigns in real and game life, and only finally got the courage to discuzz some ideas with the best of the best =D

Lunari
03-05-2007, 23:14
Do you think they did it for Guru to?

Quintus Antonius
03-05-2007, 23:16
Hm, who knows, I mean with such lore contributions as "Where's Spongebob?" they deserve something.

Nanashi
04-05-2007, 02:03
I wouldn't mind being the Mursaat Ambassador Nanashi. Discussing the innocence behind everything and how it wasn't the Mursaat's doing that the chosen were sacrificed, "We just found the bloodstones to be neat little trinkets" :tongue:

Gmr Leon
04-05-2007, 12:22
I wouldn't mind being the Mursaat Ambassador Nanashi. Discussing the innocence behind everything and how it wasn't the Mursaat's doing that the chosen were sacrificed, "We just found the bloodstones to be neat little trinkets" :tongue:

"To be neat giant little trinkets.":grin:

Erasculio
10-07-2007, 01:11
Mild Topic Necromancy, but bear with me a bit, I have a good reason. I just learned (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User_talk:Linsey_Murdock#Questions_about_Random_Th ings_in_NF_Exporable_Areas) that the text done for the "Lore Forum NPCs" was done by Eric Flannum, and that he's very fond of the Lore Forum. Now you guys know who to thank :smiley:

Erasculio

Quintus Antonius
10-07-2007, 01:25
Well then, thank you to Eric Flannum.

Karn the Betrayer
10-07-2007, 10:14
seruiosly i think its just the players just named thier characters after them

its like saying if i see a NPC in cantha name Sakura Rei, its dosn't mean it was named after me, its just pure coincidence

gervasium
10-07-2007, 10:33
lol, the guys of the lore forum existed long before nightfall. And their names and lines can't simply be a coincidence. If it was only one name that resembled someone of the lore forum, it could be. But they're all there, you can't say it's a coincidence.

Karn the Betrayer
10-07-2007, 11:05
well i guess ANET changed the names so they don't hafta pay them lol

Quintus Antonius
10-07-2007, 16:23
Besides the fact that they came right out and said it.

nkuvu
10-07-2007, 16:38
seruiosly i think its just the players just named thier characters after them

its like saying if i see a NPC in cantha name Sakura Rei, its dosn't mean it was named after me, its just pure coincidence
Not only the names are similar. But the topics discussed by the NPCs mirrors what the person said in the Lore forum. And as noted, the Lore forum was around long before Nightfall.

Quintus Antonius
10-07-2007, 16:41
The Lore Forum and Guild Wars have grown up together. We were established about four months after Guild Wars was released, and have grown since then. We are the first, the best, and the largest lore body on the web. I don't agree with every theory that is posted here, but I'm proud of the general level of maturity and intellectual purity that exists in this forum.

Nanashi
10-07-2007, 16:45
Not only the names are similar. But the topics discussed by the NPCs mirrors what the person said in the Lore forum. And as noted, the Lore forum was around long before Nightfall.

Yurp, pretty much sums up my answer right there.

Kailden Jera
10-07-2007, 22:36
I want a NPC named after me too. Something like Overlord Kaldeen or other modified persona.

I don't know what would a NPC based on me would say...

Well, maybe after GW:EN is released I can make some sort of research and finally make a firm presence in the Lore. Right now, I'm just spectator and I don't like speculating about the future.

What the? Nanashi! Have you just copied my signature basics? Your evil dude...

Nanashi
10-07-2007, 23:03
What the? Nanashi! Have you just copied my signature basics? Your evil dude...

I thought I told ya a while back :grin: Said something like, "I couldn't resist it kinda just stuck into my head"

>.> Want me to get rid of it and do something else?

Kailden Jera
10-07-2007, 23:52
>.> Want me to get rid of it and do something else?

Not at all, this might become another "cat-avatar-like" meme for GWO. And let's say that it's a great way to use signatures.

Though I just noticed now, I changed my signature today to match my current aspirations and manias. Now I'm the Greatest Necromancer Ever and I expect to be treated as so.

Sounds Risky
11-07-2007, 00:20
As much as I dislike some of the people going around saying how they should have an NPC put in the next game based on them (though to be fair this is usually in jest), I couldn't help but come up with a Mursaat name based on my own forum handle:

Sonitus the Cautious

He could ramble on about being unheard.

Karn the Betrayer
11-07-2007, 00:41
but like i said they changed the names so they wouldn't hafta pay royalties to teh guys whoes names are based from for thier npcs

Gmr Leon
11-07-2007, 07:31
but like i said they changed the names so they wouldn't hafta pay royalties to teh guys whoes names are based from for thier npcs

They did that to make the context fit with the game really. Think about it, would names like Kalidri, Gmr Leon, Nietzsche the Ranger, Quintus Antonius, Eratimus, Mularc Templare, and Scutilla fit well inside Vabbi? I think not and thus the reasoning behind the slight change of names.

Karn the Betrayer
11-07-2007, 07:50
XD I think my forum name is good for a warrior boss... but then i did get my name from somewhere else and change it too lol XD

Ranger Nietzsche
13-07-2007, 22:13
Hah. The funny thing with me is that most of my guild has NPCs named after them, mostly from the quest (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/What_Do_You_Do_with_a_Drunken_Shauben%3F) in Istan that is based on us, but I wasn't in the guild when Linsey wrote that quest so I didn't have an NPC there. Then we found the guys in the Halls of Chokhin, and I asked Linsey about it, and she said something to the effect of "Wait, that Ranger Nietzsche is YOU Ranger Nietzsche?!" heh.

<3 linsey

also, Karn, we have no rights to the character names we have, so they wouldn't have to pay us even if they DID use the same names.

Trueblade
24-09-2007, 05:18
This is awesome. Looks like I need to get more involved!