PDA

View Full Version : SS viable on non primaries?

chriskarp
06-01-2007, 16:41
Let me start by saying I'm a mesmer primary. Finally got round to picking up the Necro secondary last night to capture some skills for my heroes and I have to say I was really tempted to try out a SS build myself.

I'm not asking for any build advice, got a few ideas of my own involving Reckless Haste, Price of Failure, a bunch of Inspiration Hexes and lots of Fast Casting, but my main concern is that without Runes and a Helm the results will only be mediocre.

So my question is, can SS be worthwhile with only 12 points at Curses? Would appreciate any advice really :rolleyes:

Thanks

PS. While we're at it, does SS scatter mobs like the rest of the AoE does? Hopefully not...

nickpett
06-01-2007, 16:45
Hi! I'm a necro primary almost exclusively BUT i do think SS can be used coming from mesmers. The only problem I forsee is if you are looking for a group, people would probably rather have a necro prim to SS than a mes. If you are playing with heros/hench, then its no problem at all. So to answer, yes it can be worthwhile with 12 curses.

about the scatter... SS is wierd with is IMO. Sometimes around half health the enemies will scatter around, but then again ive seen the same scatter with SF or Famine+SV/AV. Personally, I dont think the AoE scatter from SS is worth worrying about outside of the DoA.

chriskarp
06-01-2007, 16:54
The only problem I forsee is if you are looking for a group, people would probably rather have a necro prim to SS than a mes. If you are playing with heros/hench, then its no problem at all. So to answer, yes it can be worthwhile with 12 curses.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Oh, about the group part I don't really worry, as a mesmer I can't get groups anyway (in PvE at least) and when I do people never bother to ask my build :wink:

Ryuujinx
06-01-2007, 23:33
You Could Probably make a very strong DOmination/SS build. It's like the skilsl were made for each other...

Malhavoc Shadowlord
07-01-2007, 04:29
I know that some people use SS on a w/n to farm things such as trolls.

cranialexodus
07-01-2007, 10:11
mo/n SS - farming with SS in areas where being able to use SoA really shines
me/n SS - curses is strong for pvp and a me/n can do much of the line as well or better than a primary but a me/n is losing a lot using SS compared to using, for example, insidious or price of failure.

VersionX
07-01-2007, 14:05
Me/N, 16 Domination, 12 Curses, Empathy, Spiteful Spirit. Bye-bye, Shiro! :(

Jigoku
07-01-2007, 16:19
or you could try using signet of illusions and arcane mimcry to boost SS all the way to 16 curses.

Archlich Necrosaro
07-01-2007, 17:02
i think you'll do like 33 damage at 12 curses and thats when they try to do anything. cast a spell attack sigs any action. so with empathy and backfire(i think. its the one whenever they cast a spell it triggers) and SS they're asking for a quick death. course if your with a necromancer using a degen build that uses mesmer seccondary things get ugly very quick. Mesmers CAN kill bosses effectively and incredibly fast and efficient. but in a team where all skills are harmonized together shiro kanaxai urgoz don't stand much a chance. i've run an echo SS build for along time and its a very powerful and deadly combination especially in mobs. Rangers have to watch out for barrage though. with 16 curses and using awaken the blood you're looking at 246 damage max if all those arrows hit. plus if a mesmer has empathy its a instant ko

cranialexodus
07-01-2007, 18:28
or you could try using signet of illusions and arcane mimcry to boost SS all the way to 16 curses.

Pointless. Whoever you took SS off might as well use it themselves.

Price of Failure
reckless haste
empathy
spoil victor
spiteful spirit

chriskarp
07-01-2007, 19:07
Thanks for the replies so far. The reason I didn't consider domination at first was because all the spells are very energy-intensive and without soul reaping it'd be a problem spreading the hexes (hence the Inspiration line).

I'm guessing something along the lines of

SS, Price of Failure, Reckless Haste, Spirit of Failure, Energy Tap, Drain Enchantment and an open slot, probably for a rez signet.

I certainly can see how overpowered Empathy would be with Reckless Haste (at 15 dom it's 45 damage/attack) but even with a pool of 55-60 energy I'm finding I'm running out really fast.

EDIT: Hmmm, you guys certainly gave me a nice idea... Guilt and Shame return energy on spells interupted and are both in the domination line. As an added bonus I can disable melee and spellcasters at once now, will have to try it out...

SS, Price of Failure, Reckless Haste, Empathy, Shame, Guilt and a couple of low energy fillers, but looks kinda shifty. I'll report back any findings :grin:

maxxfury
08-01-2007, 03:16
Try using something like..

Auspicious Incantation > Arcane-echo > SS > SS(echo version) >reckless

you can also use spells before this combo as long as you make sure you have 20 energy to cast Auspicious>arcane echo, as this gives you 30~ energy back with good amounts of inspiration, enough to do the combo.. Also precasting arcane acho before engaging mob allows energy to regen so you have more to use.

Shrakzara
08-01-2007, 16:27
If you are going with curses and inspiration, take Channelling. The reason is simple, each spell you cast gains 1 energy per monster nearby (or is it in the area). The more monsters near your target, the better SS works, and thus the more energy you regain as there are more targets Channelling gets affected by.

I'm often accepted as a Me/Mo (for my mesmer part, not healing). People ask me to be interupt usually, but not always.

As a N/Me, I usually go Curse/Domination. I figured you can do that with a Me/N as well. Energy intensive, yup, but then monsters die very quickly, so you don't often run into too many energy problems, if at all.

chriskarp
08-01-2007, 17:05
Try using something like..

Auspicious Incantation > Arcane-echo > SS > SS(echo version) >reckless

Never thought about that, thanks... As an added bonus Arcane Echo doesn't get the additional cooldown and it's effectivly a free arcane echo even with little to none points invested in Inspiration. Definitly something to consider.